PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering / choppy sound - Only in cutscenes..?

saiper
30th Aug 2011, 18:17
Hey

I just picked up a copy of the game. It runs perfectly in all situations and at close to max settings, with one exception - The sound in the non-engine rendered cut scenes is very choppy, however, the videos themselves play
at a normal speed and so are watchble. The sound issues are very distracting and without the aid of subtitles, it is impossible to determine what the characters are saying.
My system exceeds the req specs by a reasonable margin. I have already tried adjusting the graphical settings in-game and altering the sound acceleration settings within dxdiag, to no avail. I was wondering it if might have something to do with the fact that I am using on-board sound as opposed to a seperate card....?
Is anyone else experiencing the same (or a similar) problem? Can anyone advise as to a work around?

Saiper

sunkai
2nd Sep 2011, 16:15
I have this same problem. The normal game rendering is smooth, but all cut-scenes are choppy. In my case, it's the audio and the video that stutters.

I noticed that the AMD ident shown when the game first loads also suffers from this problem, whereas the other logos are shown without jittering.

***UPDATE 1***

I used FRAPS to clock the frame rates during the various logos when the game loads, and I get 325fps on all others apart from the AMD logo, which renders at a steady 7fps(!).

I'd love to know what codec is being used for the AMD logo and in-game cut-scenes. Unfortunately, all the game's data is stored in proprietary blob files without a known set of file header bytes.

***UPDATE 2***

This is definitely a software issue. On the same computer, I loaded the game in Windows XP 32, rather than XP 64, and the choppy FMV sequences were smooth.

All of the hardware drivers are up to date in both OSs, but there's definitely an incompatibility in XP 64. Perhaps it's a video codec I have installed in one OS and not in the other, but without knowing which codec Deus Ex uses, I have no way of telling.

edd080
26th Sep 2011, 22:20
hi there, iam also experiencing this stutter during cutscenes, upgraded my graphics card from a 260, funny thing is with my old card i did not experience this stutter, with my new card iam having the mentoned stutering... could it be related to dx11? since my previous card did not support it, these are my specs;

Asus M3A78 PRO | AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE
4GB DDR2 RAM |Samsung 400GB/Seagate 1.5TB HDD
EVGA GTX 580 SC| Zalman CNPS9700LED
SeaSonic M12 700W PSU | LG 23" LG W2363D-PF
Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)

Thanks for the help..

The Coca Cola Company
26th Sep 2011, 22:58
I have this same problem. The normal game rendering is smooth, but all cut-scenes are choppy. In my case, it's the audio and the video that stutters.

I noticed that the AMD ident shown when the game first loads also suffers from this problem, whereas the other logos are shown without jittering.

***UPDATE 1***

I used FRAPS to clock the frame rates during the various logos when the game loads, and I get 325fps on all others apart from the AMD logo, which renders at a steady 7fps(!).

I'd love to know what codec is being used for the AMD logo and in-game cut-scenes. Unfortunately, all the game's data is stored in proprietary blob files without a known set of file header bytes.

***UPDATE 2***

This is definitely a software issue. On the same computer, I loaded the game in Windows XP 32, rather than XP 64, and the choppy FMV sequences were smooth.

All of the hardware drivers are up to date in both OSs, but there's definitely an incompatibility in XP 64. Perhaps it's a video codec I have installed in one OS and not in the other, but without knowing which codec Deus Ex uses, I have no way of telling.

Just wanted to say there's another game with the AMD logo that has this problem: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675195

But personally I haven't experienced it in either..

edd080
27th Sep 2011, 05:11

***UPDATE 1***

***UPDATE 2***

As I have already posted before the stuttering occcured to me after upgrading the card... I did not experience any stuttering with the old one, do you think it could be a codec ? Do other recent games do this kind of stutter ? I run crysis 2 on ultra with the dx11 & high res pack installed, and not a glitch.... I really think it has something to do with the game, i use the steam version of the game and some users are complaining that after the update, the game started to stutter, coincedence?

saiper
28th Sep 2011, 12:51
Since making my original post I have installed the latest patches which, seem to have made a slight difference....However, I still get sound delay in all non-engine rendered cut scenes. One thing I noticed is that if I pause the game and then click "Resume", the scene will play perfectly for several seconds (5 max) and then return to normal. I have no idea why though. I'm running DX9 btw.

DeityBrett
30th Sep 2011, 11:59
I'm having this same problem, too. However, I only have it in DX11 mode. When I play using DX9, the cutscenes play just fine. If you haven't tried that, I'd say go for it.

I don't know why that would make a difference since the cutscenes are pre-rendered. Maybe my soundcard has a problem with DX11 for some reason. Of course, that's just a wild guess, but it IS pretty outdated (Audigy 2 ZS)

Burbles
2nd Oct 2011, 00:09
DX9, cutscenes stutter unbearably, though audio does not, in-game everything runs fine ... there has to be a way to fix this.

Burbles
3rd Oct 2011, 17:49
Anyone have any luck with this? Are most of you finding it only with DX9? I have XP so that can't be it for me ...

icesynth
22nd Feb 2013, 15:43
Increase the programs audio latency, works every time here.