PDA

View Full Version : Who are Barrett and Federova?

Ashbery76
30th Aug 2011, 17:57
I do not know anything about them at all.I am suprised the game did not develop these bosses at all considering DX1's bosses.Great game but they missed the ball here.

L0neWolf
30th Aug 2011, 18:56
i don't remember where but i think you can find more info about them hacking/exploring around. And yeah....it's a copy and paste case....
I think dev's rushed a little with de3. They created 100 diff brands but not so many choices (compared to the first game) nor time to know chars in deep. Adam is a kind of...lone wolf?

Hardin
30th Aug 2011, 19:05
Maybe they did that so people would have more incentive to buy the prequel book, Icarus Effect. They are featured prominently in that book. They are supposed to be off the grid type characters so it's not surprising how little information there was on them.

Agent Denton
30th Aug 2011, 19:37
I second this. Given that you worked more or less with your enemies in the first DX this may have been hard for the devs to do. I feel the game as a whole is missing something that the original had, I am not complaining, I would have loved to see Montreal and Cairo make it to the final cut. Maybe we will get another version next year that includes everything they cut out. Seems since they delayed the game for so long, they could have included it though.

Ashar
30th Aug 2011, 20:48
Luckily, i bought the book Icarus Effect a week before the game was released, so i already new all the backstory. It made a hell of a difference knowing about these characters before hand.

ZakKa89
30th Aug 2011, 22:50
fedorova doesn't even say anything... I was dissapointed in that too. Every boss fight consisted of characters you don't really know or understood. At least explain me their motivations? It was just, oh these are bad guys, attack! Deus Ex did this better.

Ludogator
30th Aug 2011, 22:56
I do not know anything about them at all.I am suprised the game did not develop these bosses at all considering DX1's bosses.Great game but they missed the ball here.

I don't know anything about barrett, but federova looks like rihanna, especially with that hair :]

Ashpolt
30th Aug 2011, 23:18
Got to agree with this. Made me really glad I'd read the novel beforehand, the game gives you virtually no information about Barrett, and even less about Fedorova. A definite disappointment IMO.

Enraged Penguin
30th Aug 2011, 23:24
fedorova doesn't even say anything... I was dissapointed in that too. Every boss fight consisted of characters you don't really know or understood. At least explain me their motivations? It was just, oh these are bad guys, attack! Deus Ex did this better.

Surely that was the point..? They're shady mercs. That's all there is to it. It's safe to assume that their motivation is money, but beyond that we aren't supposed to know anything about them. The same applies to Namir, obviously. If anything the lack of information adds to their character.

Personally I think whoever was responsible for the way they were written into the story played it perfectly. It's the type of thing you see done more often in books than in movies. Movies are always very focussed on making every character as flashy and fleshed out as possible, but people who can actually write tend to know that that's not always the best way to go in order to bring certain characters across.

When it comes to writing a background for characters like Namir, Barrett and Fedorova I figure there's only really one way a writer could go, and that's the cliched sop story route. Characters like this are far more interesting and far less disappointing when you know nothing about them. Because that makes you want to know more about them. And in the case of this game, it's the thing that will drive you to hack random PCs e.t.c in order to find more info on them. Are you honestly telling me you wouldn't be disappointed if mid-way into the game you got a call from Pritchard about research he'd done on Barrett, where it turned out his reason for becoming a merc was because he got all emo when someone ran over his cat during his childhood? (okay, that's hyperbole but you know exactly what I'm talking about).

Reven
30th Aug 2011, 23:29
It felt like they tried to do a MGS style boss fight yet it falls flat due to lack of information about the motives of your enemies and even info on who your enemies even are making them nothing more than elite mooks and cardboard cut out villians.

Hardin
30th Aug 2011, 23:30

She doesn't speak in the book either.

The Deus Ex wiki has more information about them. http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Deus_Ex_Wiki

L0neWolf
31st Aug 2011, 06:45

well they kidnapped megan and her team and almost killed adam, who thought megan was dead
i think that's one hell of a motivation

I don't know anything about barrett, but federova looks like rihanna, especially with that hair :]
except fed is 10 times better:P

Nebular
31st Aug 2011, 13:28
I read Icarus Effect shortly before the game came out as well. Like Ashar said, having read it gives you more insight into these characters (and others in the game).

flunkorg
31st Aug 2011, 14:11
If you listen, Eliza actually gives you info on Federova while you fight her.

For example(Probably wording this wrong):
This child is angry, but can you blame her? She watched her family die.