PDA

View Full Version : Simple Control / UI Improvements

agris
30th Aug 2011, 13:46
There are a few things that DX:HR could do, control / UI wise, that would improve the game.

Click through eBooks / newspapers: just like tapping the activate key (default: E) will autoloot and close a container, hitting activate on a eBook / newspaper should close it. Lets you keep your hands on the WASD config and feels like a natural option. ESC key would retain its function also.

Hold RELOAD to holster weapon: This is coming from another game (probably more than 1) but being able to hold reload (default: R) for ~1.5 s should holster your weapon, in addition to the default key. Same argument as above, it feels natural.

Adjust UI reward messages for hacking / reading: right now, depending on the hacking puzzle you get, the UI pop ups while you're cracking a node can and frequently will cover part of the node diagram (1920 x 1200, default FOV of 75). Setting the FOV to 90 fixes this, but by default the UI messages shouldn't get in the way. They just need to be raised some. When accessing a hacked computer's inbox, the UI messages also frequently cover part of text of the top-most email message. Small issue but again, by raising the vertical position at which these messages are displayed by ~5% of screen height, it would be eliminated.

Windows-style inventory controls: Picking up items to move them with the left mouse button, context menu via right mouse button. That would feel more natural, since it's what you're used to from Windows, and sorting stuff would be more convenient.

Drag & Drop on quick selection bar: Currently, you can only move an item from the inventory to the quick selection bar, but you can't drag & drop an item from one position in the quick selection bar to another, or have it switch places with another item. Also, you can't drag & drop an item from the quick selection bar to the inventory to free up its slot. Providing this options would make sorting the quick selection bar faster and more convenient.

Break cover intelligently: Pressing Shift to run should automatically make you leave cover

Change default zoom-level of in-game map & hack puzzle: Map and hack screens should be zoomed all the way out by default.

Auto-arranged items NOT being removed from quick bar when loading a saved game: Currently, upon loading a save with inventory auto-arrange enabled [PC], an item that was previously hot-keyed on the quick bar and arranged via auto-arrange will no longer be on the quick bar.

I'd love to hear other people's suggestions for improving the control scheme / UI. I'm trying to keep this simple, ideas that could realistically be patched.

Kibou
30th Aug 2011, 14:18
Very good ideas, those tweaks would really make the controls a bit more comfortable and natural, while supposedly being easy to implement. Some more things I'd like to see:

Windows-style inventory controls: Picking up items to move them with the left mouse button, context menu via right mouse button. That would feel more natural, since it's what you're used to from Windows, and sorting stuff would be more convenient.
Drag & Drop on quick selection bar: Currently, you can only move an item from the inventory to the quick selection bar, but you can't drag & drop an item from one position in the quick selection bar to another, or have it switch places with another item. Also, you can't drag & drop an item from the quick selection bar to the inventory to free up its slot. Providing this options would make sorting the quick selection bar faster and more convenient.

agris
30th Aug 2011, 17:19
Hell yea, those are great ideas too. The inventory system is fine, but the R / L click manipulation is definitely backwards. Right click does nothing while left click gives the menu option AND moves by default? Heh, maybe the dev assigned to review design docs was mac user with a one button mouse.

Mind if I incorporate your ideas into the main post? If we get enough suggestions, I'll break them down into categories.

I read somewhere else (maybe that giant HUD thread) that hacking would be improved if L click by default took over a node, while right click provided the options. Again, I agree. It seems like the mouse interaction with objects was designed by someone without common knowledge that R click is context specific options while L click is default action / select.

Kibou
2nd Sep 2011, 11:34
One more thing that would be helpful:

Pressing Shift to run should automatically make you leave cover

If you're in cover mode and you have to get away quickly because grenades are flying at you (e.g. first boss fight), this would be one less button to press.

@agris: Sure, I don't mind any copy-pasting.

Krowser
2nd Sep 2011, 15:23
I have a very sensitive mouse wheel and it happens quite often that I'll hit it by mistake and randomly draw one of my weapons.

This is getting annoying. I searched the control options and I didn't find a way to change this bind.

Brockxz
2nd Sep 2011, 15:51
Adjust UI reward messages for hacking / reading: right now, depending on the hacking puzzle you get, the UI pop ups while you're cracking a node can and frequently will cover part of the node diagram (1920 x 1200, default FOV of 75). Setting the FOV to 90 fixes this, but by default the UI messages shouldn't get in the way. They just need to be raised some. When accessing a hacked computer's inbox, the UI messages also frequently cover part of text of the top-most email message. Small issue but again, by raising the vertical position at which these messages are displayed by ~5% of screen height, it would be eliminated.

THIS and also overall all those XP and loot popups. I really want those texts a little bit smaller so that it doesn't cover so much space on my 1920x1080 monitor screen. Have been irritated by those popups when i hack or read mails or even when you are in combat.

Kibou
2nd Sep 2011, 22:01
Whoa, I forgot the most important one (for me, at least):

automatically remove used-up consumables from the quick selection bar

So, why is this important? It allows you to deal with "minor" consumables (e.g. beer, wine) easily: Just make sure you leave one slot in the quick selection bar empty, so whenever you pick up a beer or something it will show up there, and you can immediately use it by pressing just one button - your inventory doesn't get cluttered with unimportant items, but you've still put that beer to good use.

Frag Maniac
2nd Sep 2011, 23:04
My main issue technically as far as gameplay goes is there's too much mouse lag when clicking on search menus and hack nodes and it appears mouse lag in general as far as mouse look goes may even add to or somewhat cause the hitching that occurs. This is one of many signs of poor (lazy) porting.

agris
4th Sep 2011, 15:39
Updated the main post with the new suggestions. I'm hoping this catches the attention of a developer so they can at least process our feedback. So many of these threads are a caps-lock fest of screaming entitlement, I think it benefits us to keep it civil and restrict our suggestions to simple improvements.

Ashpolt
4th Sep 2011, 15:50
I agree with all of these points, particularly the Windows-style menu controls. I've played the game for 40 odd hours and still instinctively right click when I want to combine items.

The Grim Reaper
4th Sep 2011, 16:14
*Make the UI smaller it's fat and ugly like it was made to be viewed from a couch on a TV(which it most likely was and never got fixed for the PC version), at least the quick bar needs to be reduced to 0.75-0.5 of its current hight.
*Map and hack screens should be zoomed all the way out by default.
*The pocket secretary list should be always kept in order the pocket secretaries were picked up, right now the list gets rearranged upon reload of a saved game.

Ashpolt
4th Sep 2011, 17:23
*Make the UI smaller it's fat and ugly like it was made to be viewed from a couch on a TV(which it most likely was and never got fixed for the PC version), at least the quick bar needs to be reduced to 0.75-0.5 of its current hight.

What resolution are you playing in? I'm playing at 2560 x 1440 and the UI is pretty tiny for me.

agris
4th Sep 2011, 20:37
*Map and hack screens should be zoomed all the way out by default.
*The pocket secretary list should be always kept in order the pocket secretaries were picked up, right now the list gets rearranged upon reload of a saved game.

I agree with 2, and are you positive that 3 is true? I haven't noticed the entries being re-arranged, but that obviously doesn't mean it isn't happening.

About 1: I disagree. I think the UI elements are properly sized. Though I do feel that there should be distinct FOVs for 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9 resolutions if there isn't already. Most modern games do this.

Not having tried any resolution but my native 1920x1200, does anyone know if the other aspect ratios result in a FOV other than 75?

Lastly, new item.

Auto-arranged items NOT being removed from quick bar when loading a saved game: Currently, upon loading a save with inventory auto-arrange enabled [PC], an item that was previously hot-keyed on the quick bar and arranged via auto-arrange will no longer be on the quick bar.

brucek2
5th Sep 2011, 00:16
Yes, yes, yes to all of these. Had most of the same thoughts myself while playing.

would also love to see this bug fixed: if you have the tranq gun out, and click on the close button of an ebook, the tranq gun will fire. Seems to only happen with that one weapon.

The Grim Reaper
5th Sep 2011, 08:07
What resolution are you playing in? I'm playing at 2560 x 1440 and the UI is pretty tiny for me.

1680x1050, the max my display can give, and the UI is bloody fugly.
At least they could make its size adjustable.

Kibou
17th Sep 2011, 18:13
agris, can you add this one to the list? It has been overlooked in the last update:

automatically remove used-up consumables from the quick selection bar

This would save a lot of time when dealing with consumables like all this alcohol bottles: if you leave one slot in your bar empty, you can just pick up a bottle, drink it using the hotkey, and continue with the next bottle.

Lv4
17th Sep 2011, 18:50
I have some more:
- Set shortcuts again for buying and hacking. It was there in the leaked version... I mean press USE will start the hacking, arrow keys would make you walk through merchant's inventory, USE would buy an item.
- Set more keyboard shortcuts for hacking, fe:
- USE to capture a node
- JUMP to fortify a node
- IS to nuke
- SPACE to pause
Currently it's a pain not to use any virus when hacking, the icons in the context menu have weird responses when it comes to hovering.
- And the inventory with right click would be better yup.

Those are not in the UI list but I think go under control category:
- Sometimes when you try to pick up items, even if you have the cursor on the item it does not take it if something is between you and the item (like another item for example).
- Slowing the mouse movement when sprinting is a mistake. Not having your usual mouse speed is bad.

Kiyanavasala
17th Sep 2011, 19:41
I'd like it if the UI would stop trying to manipulate me into wasting Nukes and Stops and deleting save games.

Fluffis
17th Sep 2011, 21:59

You know you can just hover the mouse pointer over the piece of equipment you want on the bar and press the number you want it in, on the keyboard, right (DX1 style)? And if you press that number a second time, you remove it from that slot, freeing up the slot in question.

Edit: Just sayin'... I can't see how you could get it much faster or more convenient than that, really.

Nando
18th Sep 2011, 23:35
I have some more:
- Set more keyboard shortcuts for hacking, fe:
- USE to capture a node
- JUMP to fortify a node
- IS to nuke
- SPACE to pause
Currently it's a pain not to use any virus when hacking, the icons in the context menu have weird responses when it comes to hovering.

Amen to that. I would love to have quickkey support for hacking. I misclick so often and then it either doesn't do anything, or waste a nuke/worm. This is especially annoying due to the time limit when you've been detected.

I also hate the fact that you have to click on the text of a menu item to select it. Take for example the context menu in the inventory:
--Use/Equip
----Combine
----Examine
--------Drop

It is right-aligned and whenever I click left of the word Drop it doesn't do anything although I would be able to click examine at that horizontal position.

So it's not just the hacking, the GUI in general is pretty bad. It often just feels so unresponsive and I cannot believe this his not shown in QA.

I do like the game so far but the UI is just... oh boy