PDA

View Full Version : GTX 500 series? Crashing in DX11 mode? I think I found the problem.

cunnelatio
30th Aug 2011, 09:37
I ruled out all software issues. "Update your drivers" is a lazy answer and is rarely the problem (especially since Nvidia's drivers get worse with every release).

I had read a little about a DX11 low voltage issue that can produce crashes/display driver restarts. I bumped up my video card's voltage to 1.050 (from 1.038) and this miraculously solved all my problems. I've heard that some need to bump it up more to fix this problem with their particular card, but just be aware that this will produce more heat. If you need any more voltage than 1.050 you should perform a stress test to make sure your card won't melt - or invest in an aftermarket cooler.

Since the change I crashed once (in the hengsha pod area) but for 5-6 hours after that everything was golden.

I have an EVGA GTX570 superclocked card. Apparently this problem can and does manifest on any manufacturer's 500 series card, but it seems more prevalent on the factory overclocked versions since they don't do any voltage bumps.

Wolffen
30th Aug 2011, 09:41
Can you post a guide how to bump up video card's voltage?

I have nvidia geforce 570 gtx

cyborg34572
30th Aug 2011, 09:44
Good stuff, fortunately my Asus DCUII GTX580's dont cause any crashes for me and i got my voltage at 1.025

@wolffen, just download and install MSI Afterburner, its an overclocking program (one of the best), once inside the program go to settings then check two boxes saying "unlock voltage control", and "unlock voltage monitoring".
After that just bump up your voltage and hit apply. With this program you can also overclock your video card, but since you wer asking for a guide on how to uppen voltage, im guessing you dont know alot about overclocking yet, so before you do any overclocking, i suggest you do research on it or else youl fry your card. Just remember, in overclocking its all about going slow and seeing if its stable (by stress testing the settings for maybe 2 hours using stress test programs like furmark or kombuster), then once stable go higher again, but watch temps, do this untill the overclock is stable, then you knwo you hit its limits (once it crashes in the stresstest or show artifacts).

cunnelatio
30th Aug 2011, 09:47
Can you post a guide how to bump up video card's voltage?

I have nvidia geforce 570 gtx

I used the EVGA E-LEET tuning utility. It's very simple. It should work if you don't have an EVGA card, so give that a try.

EVGA OC Scanner is good for testing stability and artifacting under load, which I'd do before trying to run any game. There's also EVGA precision that allows you to modify the card's clock and fan speed.

I'm not sure if these will work for every card, but if not, I'm sure your manufacturer has something similar.

At least one of those programs requires that you register your EVGA card, so if you run into that, you can just google it and find direct downloads. It may be an older version but it works just fine.

MaxxQ1
30th Aug 2011, 09:47
Since the change I crashed once (in the hengsha pod area) but for 5-6 hours after that everything was golden.

That's just the color scheme of the game...

:rasp: :D

Wolffen
30th Aug 2011, 10:18
got MSI Afterburner unloaced the power setting, but the power bar did not unlock dunno why, maybie I cant overclock my card??? Do not get it

cyborg34572
30th Aug 2011, 13:02
got MSI Afterburner unloaced the power setting, but the power bar did not unlock dunno why, maybie I cant overclock my card??? Do not get it

Did you hit apply and restart the program?, cause it wont unlock untill you restart it.

Gyrolion
30th Aug 2011, 14:45
Hello,

I might have stumbled on the fix yesterday when I was looking for the answer of the GTX570 crashes!
Some research led me to this forum post on a forum: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=348094
Now you can update your gpu bios there, and it fixed it for me.. I can run Deus Ex on Dx11 no problems anymore.
It upscales your voltage without you having to do any overclocking stuff yourself, just install the patch and done!
It seems to be a major issue with the GTX570 and other DX11 cards.

So good luck with the patch, it worked for me!

Hyperbolic
30th Aug 2011, 14:59
I ruled out all software issues. "Update your drivers" is a lazy answer and is rarely the problem (especially since Nvidia's drivers get worse with every release).

I had read a little about a DX11 low voltage issue that can produce crashes/display driver restarts. I bumped up my video card's voltage to 1.050 (from 1.038) and this miraculously solved all my problems. I've heard that some need to bump it up more to fix this problem with their particular card, but just be aware that this will produce more heat. If you need any more voltage than 1.050 you should perform a stress test to make sure your card won't melt - or invest in an aftermarket cooler.

I have an EVGA GTX570 superclocked card. Apparently this problem can and does manifest on any manufacturer's 500 series card, but it seems more prevalent on the factory overclocked versions since they don't do any voltage bumps.

You just listed the one single area in the entire game that I've had ANY issues with running DX11 and everything on pretty high settings and with vsync enabled. I have a 580 GTX and never had a single freeze until the Alice Pod Hotel, and it would continually freeze and hard lock my entire system. The issue is DX11 entirely, because shutting it off prevented any more freezes from happening. This is actually pretty ridiculous considering most people that have a card like that have it so they can actually play games in DX11 mode if the game supports it.

I don't understand why that particular area is so awful, but none of the other areas caused a system freeze. Although when I first started playing, one of the tutorials popped up and I exited quickly and that caused the system to freeze too, but not really any issues beyond that until the Pod area. :mad2:

Silanda
30th Aug 2011, 15:36

Be very careful with this. Some GTX 570s have had a nasty habit of burning out their VRMs when overvolted.

AeroSign
30th Aug 2011, 17:42
You just listed the one single area in the entire game that I've had ANY issues with running DX11 and everything on pretty high settings and with vsync enabled. I have a 580 GTX and never had a single freeze until the Alice Pod Hotel, and it would continually freeze and hard lock my entire system. The issue is DX11 entirely, because shutting it off prevented any more freezes from happening. This is actually pretty ridiculous considering most people that have a card like that have it so they can actually play games in DX11 mode if the game supports it.

I don't understand why that particular area is so awful, but none of the other areas caused a system freeze. Although when I first started playing, one of the tutorials popped up and I exited quickly and that caused the system to freeze too, but not really any issues beyond that until the Pod area. :mad2:

I had the same experiences (using GTX580 )!!! The first time my system locked up was in the Alice pod area. I had 4 softcrashes and one hardcrash which forced me to shut my PC off. Unfortunately it deleted all my savegames and I was left with no other possibility than to start a new game....

I love the game but I am waiting till I see some news about it being fixed.

cunnelatio
30th Aug 2011, 18:26

Well, I did. I had constant lockups everywhere but this fixed it. No hardlocks, just the display driver crashing.

I've heard others complaining about the pod area, but at least you don't need to stick around in there too long

Be very careful with this. Some GTX 570s have had a nasty habit of burning out their VRMs when overvolted.

Eh, I'm not too worried. We're talking 12 millivolts here.

SolarDawn
30th Aug 2011, 19:05
This is not working. I tried over-/underclocking, over-/undervolting in every possible combination. Turning my fans to 100%, deactivating my sound-card, turning of tesselation and all of this stuff. => It's still crashing while EVERY other game runs just fine.

Moork
30th Aug 2011, 19:29
WTF?? You're saying some manufacturers don't increase the voltage on their factory overclocked cards?? Doesn't make much sense to me, it's a known fact that overclocking will require a voltage increase more oft than not. Methinks the manufacturers are being a tad irresponsible here.

I've never used oc'd graphics cards but I have oc'd my CPU and knew I needed a VCore increase to maintain stability. If you are getting crashes on OC'd cards it is likely instability caused by not having enough voltage. You will probably crash on other games too. At any rate, you say all 500 series cards have this crash issue, but I have a pair of 580's (stock speed) in sli and not once have I had a game crash.

I DO get the infamous "stutter" or "Frame-skip" bug though... :-(

SolarDawn
30th Aug 2011, 20:27
See, dear thread-starter. You didn't found the problem and couldn't fix it. Thank you for trying it, but the fault is on Eidos' site.

SFLUFAN
30th Aug 2011, 22:18
See, dear thread-starter. You didn't found the problem and couldn't fix it. Thank you for trying it, but the fault is on Eidos' site.

He found a POSSIBLE solution that has worked for several people who I've suggested it to, especially those with GTX 570 cards.

cunnelatio
30th Aug 2011, 22:40
WTF?? You're saying some manufacturers don't increase the voltage on their factory overclocked cards?? Doesn't make much sense to me, it's a known fact that overclocking will require a voltage increase more oft than not. Methinks the manufacturers are being a tad irresponsible here.

I've never used oc'd graphics cards but I have oc'd my CPU and knew I needed a VCore increase to maintain stability. If you are getting crashes on OC'd cards it is likely instability caused by not having enough voltage. You will probably crash on other games too. At any rate, you say all 500 series cards have this crash issue, but I have a pair of 580's (stock speed) in sli and not once have I had a game crash.

I DO get the infamous "stutter" or "Frame-skip" bug though... :-(

I don't think any manufacturer touches the default voltage of 1.038. It's only a problem with some DX11 titles. Everything else works just fine.

Not everyone with a 500 series card will have this problem. From what I've seen, it's common enough in DX11 titles that the developer can't be blamed. Are you running in DX11 mode? I had stutter/skipping in DX9 mode but it is completely gone in DX11 mode which is why I was so keen on getting it working properly.

Babel
30th Aug 2011, 22:59
Rather than bump the voltage, why not downclock the 570gtx to factory settings ?

Core clock 732
Shader clock 1464
Memory clock 1900

It should solve the problem without risking frying your card.

cunnelatio
30th Aug 2011, 23:09
Perhaps, but the temps are within tolerances. It's pretty unlikely it'll fry anything with such a minor bump. Not a bad idea for someone who is a little more cautious, though.

reincarn
30th Aug 2011, 23:34
Just about to get to the funicular.
Confirmed crash in DX11 within 5 min.
Used afterburner to bump volt from 1.025 to 1.050 as suggested.
Played for 2 hours with no crash.
Have been monitoring Temp/fan etc with afterburner from second PC using concurrent Remote Desktop connection to main/game PC.
Looking quite hopeful. Thanks very much to original poster.

Asus GTX580
I7 960
Asus Sabertooth x58
12GB Trip chan DDR3
DXHR installed on SSD
Win 7 x64 sp1

Javaslinger
31st Aug 2011, 03:54
Any idea what the voltages should be on a 560 Ti? I have a PNY that is factory overclocked and MSI says it's at 975mV. I think jumping up to 1050 seems quite a lot. You were at 1038 not 975.

cunnelatio
31st Aug 2011, 04:56
Any idea what the voltages should be on a 560 Ti? I have a PNY that is factory overclocked and MSI says it's at 975mV. I think jumping up to 1050 seems quite a lot. You were at 1038 not 975.

Well that was for my card specifically. Bump it up to 1v and see how that goes.

Javaslinger
31st Aug 2011, 05:15
Well I tried 1.036V and I haven't had a crash, driver error or anything since... You may be a genius...

The temps under load get up to about 87... is that too high?

Thanks again,

Javaslinger

cunnelatio
31st Aug 2011, 05:25
Well I tried 1.036V and I haven't had a crash, driver error or anything since... You may be a genius...

The temps under load get up to about 87... is that too high?

Thanks again,

Javaslinger

It's pretty high, yeah. According to Nvidia the maximum temperature is 99c. See if it is stable at a lower voltage.

Some people say those temperatures are fine to operate at, but if my card was hitting that on a regular basis I'd put a better heatsink/fan on it.

SolarDawn
31st Aug 2011, 06:51
He found a POSSIBLE solution that has worked for several people who I've suggested it to, especially those with GTX 570 cards. They may had other problems with their PCs, but these issues are not related especially to this game.

a DX11 low voltage issue that can produce crashes/display driver restarts That's the point. No other DX11-game is crashing for me. Neither AvP, Civilization 5, BF:BC2, Crysis 2, MoH, Homefront, Red Faction: Armageddon, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: CoP, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. They all work just they should. It's just Deus Ex.

Moork
31st Aug 2011, 12:11
...Are you running in DX11 mode? I had stutter/skipping in DX9 mode but it is completely gone in DX11 mode which is why I was so keen on getting it working properly.

Hi cunnelatio - Yeah, I'm running in DX11 mode. I switched to DX9 mode to test if the stutter was gone but, as you have said, performance was MUCH WORSE, so I re-enabled the DX11 setting again. Like I said though, I've not had a crash in DX11 in DEHR or any other DX11 title. I've ran Metro 2033 @ max with my setup for long three or four hour sessions and not once had a crash. When I first built my system a few months ago, I could not believe how well games performed on it. I mean, Metro 2033 is INSANE @ max. Now I get DEHR, a game I've been so looking forward to playing and cannot get rid of this damn stutter, even in DX11, I get it. Not badly enough to break the game, but enough to be slightly annoying.

... The temps under load get up to about 87... is that too high?

Holy crap, if my card temps were reaching that, I'd be worried. Go download EVGA precision and setup a custom fan profile to keep the temps down, dude, before one of them burns out. The most I've had my cards at has been 72 degrees, and I consider that about the limit of what I'd want to get to. In fact, my comp might as well be an electric room heater when my cards are at that temp!

Silanda
31st Aug 2011, 12:56
I don't think any manufacturer touches the default voltage of 1.038. It's only a problem with some DX11 titles. Everything else works just fine.

There isn't just one default voltage, it depends on the particular chip. My 570 runs at 0.963V under load.

Hardin
31st Aug 2011, 14:28
Is this a problem with all 500 series card or just the 570 and 580? I have a 560 ti and it hasn't crashed the entire time. I know you don't think it's the drivers, but maybe you should try updating them.

cyborg34572
31st Aug 2011, 15:01
Is this a problem with all 500 series card or just the 570 and 580? I have a 560 ti and it hasn't crashed the entire time. I know you don't think it's the drivers, but maybe you should try updating them.

No its not a problem with all GTX500 series cards, i have 2 of em myself and @ 1.025 voltage, Directx 11 for this game is fine. But hey if the fix works for people thats good, just dont overvoltage.

Babel
31st Aug 2011, 18:22
Just be careful, and remember that each OC card is different : the voltage of the EVGA gtx 570 is 1.038, but my MSI twin frozr II gtx 570 is at 0.988

I have downclocked my card to factory settings (but left voltage at 0.988) and I haven't had a crash so far. Max temp : 62°c

Moork
1st Sep 2011, 02:00
Meh.. Scratch what I said yesterday; I've just had my first crash in DEHR :( - Black screen crash just like what is described in every DX11 NV 500 series crash thread on the net, so I'm in no doubt that this is what I'm getting.

Was hoping I wasn't going to get this, but come to think of it, if my cards are unstable due to undervoltage, maybe that's why I'm also getting stutter. Only one way to find out... Strange that I've not had this issue with any other DX11 game though :scratch:

Luckily, DEHR isn't a game which heats my cards up to an unprecedented level and I also just got done installing additional graphic card cooling today, giving me a drop of around 8 - 10 degrees C so I should be okay increasing the voltage.

Endgame77
1st Sep 2011, 02:24
Hi cunnelatio - Yeah, I'm running in DX11 mode. I switched to DX9 mode to test if the stutter was gone but, as you have said, performance was MUCH WORSE, so I re-enabled the DX11 setting again. Like I said though, I've not had a crash in DX11 in DEHR or any other DX11 title. I've ran Metro 2033 @ max with my setup for long three or four hour sessions and not once had a crash. When I first built my system a few months ago, I could not believe how well games performed on it. I mean, Metro 2033 is INSANE @ max. Now I get DEHR, a game I've been so looking forward to playing and cannot get rid of this damn stutter, even in DX11, I get it. Not badly enough to break the game, but enough to be slightly annoying.

Holy crap, if my card temps were reaching that, I'd be worried. Go download EVGA precision and setup a custom fan profile to keep the temps down, dude, before one of them burns out. The most I've had my cards at has been 72 degrees, and I consider that about the limit of what I'd want to get to. In fact, my comp might as well be an electric room heater when my cards are at that temp!

Every single review of GTX570s I've seen the card reaches about 85C at Max load. It's a very safe temperature for them. I honestly find it hard to believe anything the people in this thread who are saying they're maxing out in the 55-60C range

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/07/nvidia_geforce_gtx_570_video_card_review/9

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=426&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=15

cyborg34572
1st Sep 2011, 03:29
Every single review of GTX570s I've seen the card reaches about 85C at Max load. It's a very safe temperature for them. I honestly find it hard to believe anything the people in this thread who are saying they're maxing out in the 55-60C range

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/07/nvidia_geforce_gtx_570_video_card_review/9

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=426&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=15

They might have watercooled cards. My cards max out at 80c overclocked @ 60percent fanspeed (Air Cooling), but at stock settings and auto fanspeed(hovers at 20), they still reach 70's.

I wonder what kind of cooling you guys have to be maxing out at only 60c, if your just on air then i do not believe you. I have insanely good air cooling/flow with my case and still my temps reach 70c+ with my vc's (at stock), even with one of em disabled, my case has 10 fans flowing air all around, 4 intake (Sidepanel), 1 intake (Buttom), 2 intake (front) and 3 exhaust (Top), all the fans are 2000rpm fans, also my H70 cooler has 2 excalibur exhaust fans aswell. So you people that have max 60c temps with your vc's, wth cooling do you guys use!?!?, i can understand if its watercoold but if thats on air then its kinda hard to believe, cause like i said, my case has crazy good air flow and my vc's at stock still get to 70c, they idle at 40c, and i live in canada, not exactly warm.

Silanda
1st Sep 2011, 07:43
They might have watercooled cards. My cards max out at 80c overclocked @ 60percent fanspeed (Air Cooling), but at stock settings and auto fanspeed(hovers at 20), they still reach 70's.

I wonder what kind of cooling you guys have to be maxing out at only 60c, if your just on air then i do not believe you. I have insanely good air cooling/flow with my case and still my temps reach 70c+ with my vc's (at stock), even with one of em disabled, my case has 10 fans flowing air all around, 4 intake (Sidepanel), 1 intake (Buttom), 2 intake (front) and 3 exhaust (Top), all the fans are 2000rpm fans, also my H70 cooler has 2 excalibur exhaust fans aswell. So you people that have max 60c temps with your vc's, wth cooling do you guys use!?!?, i can understand if its watercoold but if thats on air then its kinda hard to believe, cause like i said, my case has crazy good air flow and my vc's at stock still get to 70c, they idle at 40c, and i live in canada, not exactly warm.

With a couple of exceptions my 570 maxes out at 60-65C. Achieved by simply having a custom fan profile that ramps up aggressively as the card heats up, rather than the default which doesn't spin the fan to anywhere near maximum until its virtually on fire. I'll take low temperatures over quiet operation any time.

cyborg34572
1st Sep 2011, 08:01
With a couple of exceptions my 570 maxes out at 60-65C. Achieved by simply having a custom fan profile that ramps up aggressively as the card heats up, rather than the default which doesn't spin the fan to anywhere near maximum until its virtually on fire. I'll take low temperatures over quiet operation any time.

So you have your fans at 100 percent all the time?, well i guess that can do that. My 580's run max 70c at default clocks with fanspeed in auto mode (which hovers at 20 percent), i have no idea what temps il get when i run 100 percent fanspeed while stressing them. Ill give it a try maybe, see what max temps i get with 100 percent fanspeed, my cards have the DCUII cooling system from asus, its up there ontop when it comes to videocard air cooling (probably not the best tho), so if i still get over 65c with 100 percent fanspeed , with that kinda cooling, then i have to know what kind of cooling your using or i wont believe you.

Silanda
1st Sep 2011, 08:31
So you have your fans at 100 percent all the time?,

No, I use evga precision to set up a custom profile that has the fan at about 40-50% when idling but then speeds up rapidly as the temperature rises above 50C. The fan speed hits 100% when the card reaches 70C, but it rarely gets that hot playing games.

Endgame77
1st Sep 2011, 11:20

Ironically, running your fan that fast will cause more longterm issues than running the card at a very safe 85C...

Moork
1st Sep 2011, 14:12

Hi Endgame77 - Yey, so I read those reviews. With my case, the Corsair 600T, with stock cooling on a pair of PNY GTX 580's, I get a max temp of 72 deg. C, running a custom fan profile through EVGA Precision (now replaced with MSI Afterburner for the voltage adjustment). And the 600T is not known for it's superior airflow, although it's great cable management system does allow for an uncluttered environment for the air to travel through.

Yesterday, I mounted an additional Akasa Viper 120mm fan I've had sitting around for awhile with one screw and three cable ties on the inside of the case just in front of the main 200mm fan at the front. It is screwed into the bottom HD cage and tied with cable ties to other parts of the chassis creating a solid mount. This has focused the airflow from my front 200mm fan directly onto my 580's and I can honestly say I've seen a drop of around 8 deg. C. at idle (down from 47 deg. C to 39 deg. C.) and around 6 deg. C. under EXTREME load (down from 72 deg C. to 66 deg. C. playing Metro 2033 @ Max in DX11). So it IS possible to achieve these low temps. And remember, I'm running SLI which also raises the temperature of both cards. Obviously, if you run a burn test on your card(s), it will 100% them, which no game will do constantly, so you are always going to get higher temps stress testing.

I haven't really done this because I was worried about the temps my cards were getting to, I've ran them that way for awhile and they have never given out on me. I did it because everytime I played a graphics heavy game, like GTA IV running ENB Series 0.82 mod (known to cause graphics card overheating), I felt like I needed to strip down to bare chest and boxer shorts! :D

At any rate, back on subject - I installed MSI Afterburner to find that my 580's default core voltage was only 1.000v. That seems a little low for these cards to me. I've now increased the voltage to 1.025 and have been playing DEHR for five hours with no crash. So, fingers crossed, I've resolved my problem.

Silanda
1st Sep 2011, 18:04
Ironically, running your fan that fast will cause more longterm issues than running the card at a very safe 85C...

Like? The only potential issue is fan failure, a problem that seems to be one of the less common causes of graphics card death, one that I've never personally encountered, and one that seems likely to be made more probable by dust build up (which I avoid). My first 570 died and, since it managed to reach 90C on occasion while the fan was on auto running at a conservative speed, I'd rather keep my second one cooler. Besides, I'm not running the fan at 100% constantly, it never really gets hot enough for the fan to spin up that high.

enzain
1st Sep 2011, 21:44
changing voltage for a game that doesn't work is insane, Eidos should be the ones fixing the game.

Babel
2nd Sep 2011, 01:08
My case do have a very good airflow, but I chalk my temps to the card I'm using. The MSI twin frozr II has just excellent cooling capabilities, and run with a voltage way lower the most other gtx570 OC cards. And it's quieter, too. There is no secret : lower voltage, lower temps.