PDA

View Full Version : Talion, cannot find the butcher, no marker

needlesurfer
30th Aug 2011, 05:06
So I got this quest to find a guy using a butcher as a front. Problem is I have no marker on the map whatsoever for the quest, I even tried making all quests inactive and then make Talion active and no marker can be found on the map. I found two butcher in that part of town, none have a basement door like I keep reading everywhere.

People complain it is glitched but they all mention finding the butcher where the marker was, I don't even have a marker...

So which butcher? Where is the store located?

Help would be appreciated as I believe this is a glitch but i can't be sure until I get the location and go there.

thanks

EDIT: found it, if you are also looking for it it is toward one of the entry to Kuaigan district (north)

Rindill the Red
30th Aug 2011, 06:10
Lol.

Oh noes! The game doesn't have big flashing lights telling me where to go. Whatever am I going to do?

Black-Xero
30th Aug 2011, 06:19
Lol.

Oh noes! The game doesn't have big flashing lights telling me where to go. Whatever am I going to do?

It's even worse considering how simple every missions are.

needlesurfer
30th Aug 2011, 06:46
sarcasm aside surely you guys are more intelligent than you are showing and understand that if a game, for every quest it has, shows markers, one can ask himself if a quest is bugged when suddenly no marker shows.

Nah I guess you really just are dumb and thought you would look smart with those witty comments, gratz, you win 2 forum points and a cookie.

Daedatheus
30th Aug 2011, 07:00
Lol.

Hey, let's be fair here. The game teaches you that when you have an objective, a marker will pop up and your objectives list will feature the mission. When that doesn't happen, you worry that you haven't activated something properly, and that the mission won't actually begin (as in, perhaps you explored that butcher shop before, and nothing was there, but once a mission is activated something appears there, and you don't want to waste your time searching around if the mission has glitched out and not activated). Luckily most DX players are more inquisitive than that, same problem happened to me and I just searched like a detective.

At the same time, even if you don't worry about the above issue, consider real life vs. objective-based games with waypoints. In real life if someone tells you to find a butcher in a neighbourhood with several butchers, they're going to give you very specific instructions, street names, etc. In a game that has waypoints, the script writer would only need to have the mission character say "go to the butcher," and your objective waypoint system handles the rest. Therefore, you don't have all the information you need to go straight to your objective without that waypoint.

If only more games would DO the real life thing and give you those specific details, and trust that you are a half-intelligent person who doesn't need waypoints as long as they give you the detail in a way you would receive it in reality. Even subtle elements like that can add a lot to a game's atmospheric realism (not to be confused with true realism... E.G. Adam needs to stop in and eat noodles across from The Hive after spending all night walking around haha)

Rindill the Red
30th Aug 2011, 07:19
Hey, let's be fair here. The game teaches you that when you have an objective, a marker will pop up and your objectives list will feature the mission. When that doesn't happen, you worry that you haven't activated something properly, and that the mission won't actually begin (as in, perhaps you explored that butcher shop before, and nothing was there, but once a mission is activated something appears there, and you don't want to waste your time searching around if the mission has glitched out and not activated). Luckily most DX players are more inquisitive than that, same problem happened to me and I just searched like a detective.

At the same time, even if you don't worry about the above issue, consider real life vs. objective-based games with waypoints. In real life if someone tells you to find a butcher in a neighbourhood with several butchers, they're going to give you very specific instructions, street names, etc. In a game that has waypoints, the script writer would only need to have the mission character say "go to the butcher," and your objective waypoint system handles the rest. Therefore, you don't have all the information you need to go straight to your objective without that waypoint.

If only more games would DO the real life thing and give you those specific details, and trust that you are a half-intelligent person who doesn't need waypoints as long as they give you the detail in a way you would receive it in reality. Even subtle elements like that can add a lot to a game's atmospheric realism (not to be confused with true realism... E.G. Adam needs to stop in and eat noodles across from The Hive after spending all night walking around haha)

I wouldn't mind having to eat in more games. The games that have featured needs systems have worked well with them. I'm reminded of Arx Fatalis and even the Hard-core mode of New Vegas.

I also understand what you mean by thinking there is a bug because it's different from all other quests.

However... he does give instructions realistically in the game. The doctor doesn't actually know which specific butcher shop has the hidey hole behind it, but he does say that it is off Peng Deng road. If you read the street signs it's not that hard. Plus... in the end there ARE a LIMITED amount of butcher shops in the Heng Sha area you can explore... you'd find it eventually.

Daedatheus
30th Aug 2011, 07:51
The doctor doesn't actually know which specific butcher shop has the hidey hole behind it, but he does say that it is off Peng Deng road.

Woops! Guess I forgot that he says that. I guess I was generalizing then.

Cool. And yeah, as soon as I typed the bit about Adam sitting down to eat noodles at that place in Hengsha I actually envisioned how cool it would be as a game mechanic, but ALSO having brief chats with the chef/bartender/other customers of places you eat at. See DX1 for interesting bar conversations. :cool:

Rindill the Red
30th Aug 2011, 07:54
Woops! Guess I forgot that he says that. I guess I was generalizing then.

Cool. And yeah, as soon as I typed the bit about Adam sitting down to eat noodles at that place in Hengsha I actually envisioned how cool it would be as a game mechanic, but ALSO having brief chats with the chef/bartender/other customers of places you eat at. See DX1 for interesting bar conversations. :cool:

Oh my god, I could see it now. Social boss battle during dinner with soup nazi!

http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/episodes/the_soup_nazi/the_soup_nazi004.jpg