PDA

View Full Version : Why are people beating DXHR so fast?

djtanng
30th Aug 2011, 03:30
I've been putting in 12 hours or more of gameplay every day since the 23rd, and I'm still on my first playthrough. Why are so many people on their 3rd or 4th playthrough, lol? Games this good only come out every once in 5 years or so. What's the rush? Why not just relax and enjoy this rare epic? Lol.

Or am I just too slow?

Black-Xero
30th Aug 2011, 03:33
Too addicting to take your time. I would be spending more time in it if it had a NG+.

Nemesis296
30th Aug 2011, 03:34
I think a lot of people have been just playing it nonstop. As for me, well let's just say I'm a little rough on the edges with Deus Ex's gameplay. So far I have put in about 7 hours and I've only managed to finish the first actual mission, plus working on a sidequest or two. I'm enjoying the game as much as I can, and I will certainly have to play through it multiple times to see all of the various outcomes from choices, etc.

DarkStar33Cdn
30th Aug 2011, 03:35
Too many people have free time? Only go from objective to objective?

Ive put at-least 20 hours into it and only nearing the end of Shanghai.

nemo123
30th Aug 2011, 03:36
I'm sure some people know how to do the first section (up to Barrett) w/o too much trouble. There were a lot of vids on youtube before the game was released.

depresso
30th Aug 2011, 03:43
40-50 hours, just got to singapore

Evil Champ
30th Aug 2011, 03:46
A few reasons -

I'm a gamer and have been for some time. I like to find every little side quest and secret before moving on. Some people don't do this. Many just plow through the main quest.

You have a life and have to do other things. Others don't.

Those are the only two logical reasons. =)

Vasarto
30th Aug 2011, 03:53
I did most of the side quests and Beat the game in 5 days!

Evil Champ
30th Aug 2011, 03:54

Eidos should be sending you a trophy soon. Congratulations.

ellipso
30th Aug 2011, 03:55
Steam clocked me at 44 hours for my first playthrough. Just got done with it today. I explored every nook and cranny I could find, hacked everything, read everything I could find (although I obviously missed some things because I didn't get the achievement for reading all the ebooks). To be honest, I felt like the game was just a bit too short. I wasn't rushing through the game by any means, but if I had been, it would have felt very, very, very short.

Black-Xero
30th Aug 2011, 03:59

You certainly took your time. I finished my first playthrough and all side quests in less than 20 hours.

Jack Corban
30th Aug 2011, 04:05
I Beat the game in 34.4 Hours in a Nonlethal Playthrough on Give Me Deus Ex.
Only one Sidequest i didn't make was the Talion one in Hengshea on the second Visit cuz it didn't update from the Soldier Pocketsecretary.

I took a good time deciding on things so this made me loose a lot of time i guess. also i tried different approches alot.
I guess when i would substract all of that i would end up at around 20-25 hours i guess.

But where on earth do you get 25 hours of Entertainment for 44.99 €

Black-Xero
30th Aug 2011, 04:11
Only one Sidequest i didn't make was the Talion one in Hengshea on the second Visit cuz it didn't update from the Soldier Pocketsecretary.
Neither did mine. You only had to find the sewer which was easy if you had that extra DLC mission.

Painman
30th Aug 2011, 04:12
I waste a lot of time doing silly stuff, ie. stacking up crates, barrels and dumpsters trying to get to areas that I'm probably not meant to get to anyway. I've played the game for at least a few hours every day since the 23rd, and I'm still in Detroit.

I'll be wasting just as much time exploring and trying out crap when I get to Hengsha, so this first playthrough will take me a while.

MaxxQ1
30th Aug 2011, 05:15
I'm at 49 hours on my first playthrough. Still in Heng Sha, haven't gone back to Detroit for the second time yet.

As I've said before, I'm trying to make a non-lethal playthrough, and I'm spending a lot of time watching patrol patterns of enemies, as well as exploring everything, hacking everything, talking to everyone, and trying to get every sidequest. Yeah, I'm a slow and careful gamer - sue me! :rasp:

Brockxz
30th Aug 2011, 05:38
I'm at 49 hours on my first playthrough. Still in Heng Sha, haven't gone back to Detroit for the second time yet.

As I've said before, I'm trying to make a non-lethal playthrough, and I'm spending a lot of time watching patrol patterns of enemies, as well as exploring everything, hacking everything, talking to everyone, and trying to get every sidequest. Yeah, I'm a slow and careful gamer - sue me! :rasp:

Same. It's still my first playthrough, 33 hours and I'm still in Heng Sha.

chabbles
30th Aug 2011, 06:03
I've been putting in 12 hours or more of gameplay every day since the 23rd, and I'm still on my first playthrough. Why are so many people on their 3rd or 4th playthrough, lol? Games this good only come out every once in 5 years or so. What's the rush? Why not just relax and enjoy this rare epic? Lol.

Or am I just too slow?

exactly, i must of put close to 30 hours in so far and iv only being in the second location for 4 or 5 hours, really taking my time on this one,

IdiotInAJeep
30th Aug 2011, 06:03
Every sidequest and main story in 20 hours with stealth and non lethal.

psyder
30th Aug 2011, 06:15
24 hours with some useless backtracking
had most augs, hacked mostly everything, non leathal, deus ex difficulty and so on..
had 171655 XP

Rindill the Red
30th Aug 2011, 07:45
Steam says I've clocked 40 hours into the game.

Several of those hours are from when I pause to take a break for an hour or two and do something else. Several times I also backtracked pointlessly, and I've reloaded saves to replay certain parts of the game differently. I really don't see how the dev team got 40 hours for one play-through. If you took 40 hours to play DX:HR straight through, you'd be bored out of your mind.

ZakKa89
30th Aug 2011, 07:54
Because people don't understand/know how to play deus ex and get the most enjoyment out of it.
Because people are used to shooters like CoD where it's just shooting: This limited their mind and makes them automaticlaly rush trough everything

Most importantly:
Because people have no patience, no patience at all.

I am 43 hours in, still not finished (almost though)

Angeles
30th Aug 2011, 08:49
Because people don't understand/know how to play deus ex and get the most enjoyment out of it.
Because people are used to shooters like CoD where it's just shooting: This limited their mind and makes them automaticlaly rush trough everything

Most importantly:
Because people have no patience, no patience at all.

Sorry but this is just plainly not true and personally opinionated.
Deus ex is not that big a game. There is only about 20 hours of actual game content in a 1 time play through, perhaps a lot less if someone actually took the time to number crunch on how long an average new player would take to get from A to B on a mission map.
The other 10+ hours spent running full length of city's and looking for small niches and if your spending a lot longer then this then its likely your a slow and careful reader or more so that your looking for something that isn't there.

The games strength is in its replay value! wanting to see the different path choices, hence why people are on there second and third run by now, their actually a lot more patient and getting a lot more game content then you presume.

Shadeonyx
30th Aug 2011, 09:03
You know I have read alot of posts, personally I don't need hours and hours of game play through. If I love a game that much I will play it over a few times, the ones I don't resell for new ones... there is so much out there it's unbelievable the games you can play and worlds to play in. Like the posts say... definitely some people take their time others charge through and are just that good at learning a game... took me 3 days on the PC loved it!!! Will play again on my PS3 when the prices come down...

JCpies
30th Aug 2011, 09:10
Too addicting to take your time. I would be spending more time in it if it had a NG+.

:rolleyes:

demonbox
30th Aug 2011, 09:19

Or am I just too slow?

you are not too slow, people like to rush to the end for couple of reasons:

1. to brag about how fast they are on forums, and prove they r better than "you"
2. think the only game's strenght it's the ability to replay it in the 1st week the game has launched
3. just for the fun of rushing

mmo(rpg)s "helped" a lot to develop this way of enjoyin games (i don't doubt a rusher can fully enjoy a game like this), everyone tries to get to the endgame, 'cause "the fun is there! has to be there!" then someone realize the endgame is just that, the END of the game.(yes that goes also for mmorpgs)

i myself act like this with books, but generally if enjoy a game i take my time to play it, 'cause i know that i won't be able to play a new one that interests me that much very soon, while there's plenty of interesting/etertaining books to read
but again guess is just a matter how you enjoy playing your games, and of course how much free time you have :)

badmonk
30th Aug 2011, 10:39
like the above poster said, a lot of people just rush through for bragging rights lol!! (yawn)
when i play a game as good as this, i def take my time (Skyrim anyone!!)
exploring and enjoying every second of the game is the best way to play, not a speed run!!!

(btw any way to check how long you have played on 360 please?)

KingLeonShepard
30th Aug 2011, 11:04

What on earth have you been doing for 40+ hours to only have reached Singapore?

It took me about 25 hours to complete it on normal with all side quests complete and 50% of the trophies done. I can;t see there being much to do outside the main and side quests...

Jason Parker
30th Aug 2011, 11:16
No rushing involved for me. Game unlocked on Steam at 0 pm the night from 25th to 26th since then I've spent 56 hours playing and now I'm a third deep into my second playthrough, the first taking approx. 44 hours doing all sidequests that I found, not reading every single email but the largest part of it. I will definetly do a third playthrough and then take an oldschool shot at the original Deus Ex to refresh memories and see how tightly the two are tied together storywise for real.

Jason Parker
30th Aug 2011, 11:20

It took me about 25 hours to complete it on normal with all side quests complete and 50% of the trophies done. I can;t see there being much to do outside the main and side quests...

Try to play just one of the main missions on a non-lethal/ no-takedown approach and you will see how it is possible to spend so much time in the game. Also just rushing from quest marker to quest marker is not my style of play. I'm an explorer. First thing I do at a new Hub (eversince the original game) is ignore the questmarker and explore the map to find every hidden stash/item whatever. Also to people more deeply interested in the lore of the game all the e-mails and books are a worthwhile read.

Through reading especialy the E-Mails you can see how far reaching the conspiracy around Bob Page and Joseph Manderley already is at the time of HR. A shame though that I have yet to find any mentioning of the Denton Brothers or other characters from the original. But I have already seen the NSF mentioned in various E-Mails

KingLeonShepard
30th Aug 2011, 11:33
Try to play just one of the main missions on a non-lethal/ no-takedown approach and you will see how it is possible to spend so much time in the game. Also just rushing from quest marker to quest marker is not my style of play. I'm an explorer. First thing I do at a new Hub (eversince the original game) is ignore the questmarker and explore the map to find every hidden stash/item whatever. Also to people more deeply interested in the lore of the game all the e-mails and books are a worthwhile read.

Through reading especialy the E-Mails you can see how far reaching the conspiracy around Bob Page and Joseph Manderley already is at the time of HR. A shame though that I have yet to find any mentioning of the Denton Brothers or other characters from the original. But I have already seen the NSF mentioned in various E-Mails

I played the vasy majority of missions in stealth, especially early on, hacked almost everything in sight, read many emails and explored what was possible. I still can't see how one can spend 40+ hours during a single play through, but that's just me. As long as you're having fun, right? That's all that matters.

Ultai
30th Aug 2011, 14:44
Some of those people probably aren't doing a non-lethal, no alarm tripped (foxiest of the hounds achievement) playthrough on the hardest difficulty to start out on (like me >.>). Things go by quicker when you're not concerned with patrol movements and security, although I was sorta being anal about taking every guard down I saw, and getting the Ghost bonus for never being spotted.

I just finished and steam has me clocked in at 63 hours, but I did restart a couple of times after the first mission to decide what starter augs I wanted to run with. You could pretty much cut that in half or more if I was just running and gunning. I mostly blame all the damn computers and hackable stuff everywhere ><

chabbles
30th Aug 2011, 15:23
is there any way on the ps3 to check your exact play time ?

Andreas Photiou
30th Aug 2011, 15:50
I never understood this either.

There must be gamers more hardcore than me :scratch:. Maybe it's because they only accomplish the immediate mission and not the side-plots?

NapalmLemon
30th Aug 2011, 16:32
I would have to suggest it has only to do with personality type.

Some people savor a treat, other people demolish it.

Myself I expect to be of the many play-through variety. My first play-through was 31 hours, mix of lethal/non lethal, primarily using the silenced pistol. My second play which has already been started will be 100% non lethal pacifist / foxiest of the hounds. I'm modding up a machine pistol to have on hand for boss fights but that is the only lethal weapon in my inventory.

My third play through will be probably fully lethal, no remorse, destroying any obstacles in my way.

All of course have and will be on Deus Ex difficulty.

Jenson
30th Aug 2011, 16:41
The game's ai...is meh...but also in general..the game is no where near as difficult as the original deus ex..

games today are catered toward modern day generation gamers...(newbs)..

hope devs fix the ai! and add a more challenging mode!

thats why people beat it so fast...

NapalmLemon
30th Aug 2011, 16:52
I say don't let the rose colored glasses blind you on the original. I loaded it up last night once again with the new vision mod.

I would have been inclined to agree with you that the original was harder, but after playing through a little bit of liberty island I found it striking how close I could actually get to enemies in plain view before they noticed me. Way closer than I remembered that's for sure.

I found myself crouch sneaking around the NSF with more remarkable ease than I remember from back in the day.

jplayer01
1st Sep 2011, 17:19
Hmmm. I played DX through several times shortly before picking up DXHR. A full violence playthrough, full stealth non-lethal playthrough, a full stealth non-violence (no killing, no knocking out) playthrough and then once with cheats (all augs, all weapons from the get-go; man, that was *fun*).

Did something similar with DXHR. A full violence playthrough, just to learn the levels, the patrol routes and secret areas. It took me about 17 hours *with* all sidequests. Admittedly, I didn't explore some hubs fully, such as Shanghai. I just finished a stealth non-violence playthrough (god, that was sweet ... I dropped the bosses in seconds because I had so many grenades of all types and so much ammo for the rocket launcher and heavy rifle stocked up. No joke.) and I think I needed just a bit more time than on my first time through, but I really can't be sure because Steam isn't reporting the played time accurately (it's off by 10 hours at least). I was much more thorough on the second playthrough because I realized I missed some things in Shanghai and in the later levels. Honestly, I don't know what some of you people are doing if you need 30+ hours. :P

Anyway, imo, DX isn't in any way more difficult than DXHR. I think I'd rate them equal. The AI in both games are ridiculously easy to outsmart. If you get a feel for their FOV and their patrols, there really isn't much you can do wrong.

I'm a bit disappointed by the selection of augs in DXHR though ... I tried playing it with all augs earlier (trainer) and it just wasn't any fun. At least in DX, you had stuff like speed enhancement, ballistic protection, regeneration and aggressive defense system allowing you to really screw with your enemies. In DXHR, either you go cloak non-stop (which is much less fulfilling than having them shoot you to hell and back ... and still do no damage) or you die.

jplayer01
1st Sep 2011, 17:26
I'm sure some people know how to do the first section (up to Barrett) w/o too much trouble. There were a lot of vids on youtube before the game was released.

You mean we knew how to do the first section because we played the leak. I guess we had a bit of a one-up on those who didn't play it. We had experience with the AI, we knew where to look for secrets, we knew how to allocate our praxis points most efficiently. I know I played through the leak several times just to experiment with different play styles and praxis point allocations, allowing me to find the most efficient and my preferred combination long before others. A bit of a cheat, I guess. ;)

DarkKnightDanny
1st Sep 2011, 17:42
How do you clock how long youve played on the consoles?

Arksun
1st Sep 2011, 17:55
Steam says I've clocked 40 hours into the game.

Several of those hours are from when I pause to take a break for an hour or two and do something else. Several times I also backtracked pointlessly, and I've reloaded saves to replay certain parts of the game differently. I really don't see how the dev team got 40 hours for one play-through. If you took 40 hours to play DX:HR straight through, you'd be bored out of your mind.

I took 43 hours for first playthrough and it was a magical experience. Bored is when you feel the need to rush through too fast to get it over with, the DX HR world was too interesting and lush to steamroll my way through. Soo many details to apreciate, lovely.

deusexhr
1st Sep 2011, 17:59
I have no idea how long my first playthrough took me, i spoke to EVERY NPC hacked every computer/keypad i could find i reckon it took me about 40-45hours. I also done every quest and sidequest.
Also Rindill you are a grade A mug.

cookj71
1st Sep 2011, 18:03
I have a life too, and even fall asleep while playing.

I have really enjoyed, but also been frustrated at times going through every little thing. It has been nice to find weapon mods and other goodies that other likely have missed from going so fast.

I am nearing the end I fear, but since certain things do to design, are of a do it this way or that, I'm very much likely to play through multiple times. Even though some of those things are very frustrating.

Later.

pha
1st Sep 2011, 18:14
My first run was broken just before the third boss battle (of course I didn't know it until I made it there in my second run) because of a ridiculous glitch (THIS is why we need a command console), and I beat the game on my second run. All on highest difficulty without objective highlighting or quest markers. I didn't assume a stealthy role, so combat was in most cases pretty quick and to the point instead of hours of playing hide and seek with the tangos. I spent a lot of time to cruise in the two hubs to discover whatever I could, especially because of the lack of highlighting.

I've played 47 hours according to Steam, and I believe my full run took about 25ish hours. Did I deliberately skip side missions, dialogues, or other content to just finish the game? Absolutely no. Did I miss some content? Most probably. Basically it all comes to how much time you can spend.

Anyway, do you think we'll see a speed run for DX:HR any time soon?

Akimbo
1st Sep 2011, 18:21
1st playthrough still. Obsessed with finding/hacking everything, reading all e-mails and gratuitous "dicking around" with people/things. Taking me a long time to get anywhere lol.

Styrisvolurin
1st Sep 2011, 18:47
Mate I was thinking the exact same thing. Then I figured, I clearly have more of a life than some people! Besides, what most people have said is true, a lot of people just plough through the game.

The beauty of Deus Ex has always been the attention to small details, that only maybe a handful of people who take the time to enjoy the game in its fullness, will ever see. I almost **** my pants when I heard this was being made.

Huzzah!

ZakKa89
1st Sep 2011, 18:56

I finished in 50 hours and it could have even been longer. If you think there isn't much to do besides the main and side quests: you're wrong. I'll try to explain (played on give me deus ex)

Deus Ex (for me personally) is not a game where you go from A to B. It's a game where you go from A to F, and can choose to skip the BCD, or do them.

This is my playstyle, it will explain how I got 50 hours of playtime.

Probably the biggest reason: When I see enemies, I never engage immediately. First thing I do, is sneak and explore as much as I can in the area. Find all (hidden) paths, explore, and observe the guarding routes of my enemies. Then, when I am finally done scouting the area (this can take roughly half an hour) I start thinking what the best or most fun way too engage is. Then it's quicksaving, and attacking. If I am not satisfied with my approach, or want to try a different one, I quickload and try a different approach. I just know that a lot of players don't even wait before they engage, but as soon as they see there foes, they attack them immedieatly.

Another reason for my long playtime is that I just loved walking trough the city hubs, eavesdropping on EVERY conversation (whenever a conversation took place, I waited patientely) and when people where done with their conversation, I talked to them to see what they have to say to ME. I talked to almost every single NPC and listened to every single line they had to say.

At times, I also redid some social battles, just for the fun of it.

I hacked almost everything and read every e-mail. Read some e-books, not all. Screwed around a lot in hengsha, but could have screwed around more (like engaging in combat with everybody). I also died a lot, the highest difficulty can be quite punishing once you get discovered.

There are also secret areas, some are really hard to find. This is a element that has almost gone extinct in modern games, because nobody knows anymore how to find and discover secret locations. Also understand that when you have the Punch trough walls aug, a lot of secret areas and pathways get revealed and this might add even more to your playtrough.

I played a lot of longer games. Fallout: New Vegas being the longest (more than 50 hours), and I am quite certain that Deus Ex: HR could take up to even 60 hours if you try to engage with everybody and never choose the easy way out. 25 hours is the basic going from A to B without too much exploring, 30 hours being more of a normal playtrough and for the people that really take their time to explore, observe and do everything they can even more. The reason I say you could even play more than 50 hours is because I know I haven't read everything, and at some areas I chose a faster way to finish an objective.

There is one person here who finished the game in 81 hours... So there!

daviareias
2nd Sep 2011, 00:42
I finished around 30 hours, and did almost everything, but thats because I'm too eager to know whats going to happen next in the plot, "I got find out who is behind this!", specially after seeing jensen get brutalized at the begining.

MaxxQ1
2nd Sep 2011, 05:59
I'm now at 60 hours and just getting into the sub-basement at Picus.

Just for reference, my very first playthrough of the first Deus Ex clocked in at around 80-85 hours according to the savegame info. One excuse for that was that prior to getting DX, I had only played Freespace and Homeworld, so DX was my first ever RPG, first ever FPS, first ever sneaker. I know I can't use that excuse with DX:HR, but I *can* say that what I am doing is savoring the experience, like eating especially good food at a fine dining establishment. Doing that means taking your time to enjoy every bite, and not just shoveling it in like it would save the world if you ate five full courses in five minutes.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Sep 2011, 10:02

Same here. :thumb:
The game is very addictive and the hours pass by unnoticed.