PDA

View Full Version : Silenced Sniper

taKer123
30th Aug 2011, 01:25
So I finally go to attach a silencer to my sniper rifle only to find out that you can't? even though there's a silenced sniper pre-order bonus? what kind of backwards bull**** is this?

I honestly just shut off the game, I was enjoying it but I'm so turned off by this. I'm sick of this pre-order bull****, It's an RPG and I should be able to create my own silenced sniper especially if it is already in the game without having to deal with this pre-order PR bull****. I should be able to enjoy the game fully without having to pre-order before It's possible to make an informed decision.

ufo8mycat
30th Aug 2011, 02:04
I have to agree with this.

I ended up picking up my first sniper rifle not long ago in this game (Entrance to underground FEMA base) and I automatically assumed it was silenced, but it wasen't. Then I thought, I should get antoher 'silencer' kit so I can attach it but found out it is not compatible, then found it you can get a silenced sniper rifle as a 'pre order' bonus.

Lame indeed. This should be available for everyone to enjoy :hmm:

KingLeonShepard
30th Aug 2011, 02:14
There's a silenced sniper in the garage next to the basketball court in detroit. It's the same as the pre-order bonus one so I'm not if the code activates it in case you lose the one you're given or it's just there for everyone

pha
30th Aug 2011, 02:24
Hehe I've been waiting for this thread to pop up. The whole world of videogaming would be much better without this "exclusive content" nonsense.

Sure it's nothing to cry for, and there are alternatives like silenced 10mm at low to mid range and Tranquilizer Rifle at long range, but it's still disappointing. They could have made the bonus weapon deal twice or thrice as much the regular sniper rifle for all I care, but dedicating the whole 1. long-ranged 2. scoped 3. silent and 4. lethal weapon functionality to ONE SINGLE PREORDER ITEM is pretty absurd, because this restricts a whole playstyle.

On the bright side the buffoons didn't cap the credits at 9999 because of the 10k credit bonus. :D

nabrass
30th Aug 2011, 02:32
While i agree that we should have been able to attach a silencer to the sniper rifle..

dedicating the whole 1. long-ranged 2. scoped 3. silent and 4. lethal weapon functionality to ONE SINGLE PREORDER ITEM is pretty absurd

the xbow is the lethal, long-range, scoped, silenced option.

pha
30th Aug 2011, 02:34
Okay there we go. Case closed.

INSTG8R
30th Aug 2011, 03:12
There's a silenced sniper in the garage next to the basketball court in detroit. It's the same as the pre-order bonus one so I'm not if the code activates it in case you lose the one you're given or it's just there for everyone

Sorry but your wrong. Maybe YOU can find one there because you already have the DLC pack but I assure there is no sniper rifle in there.

Quillan
30th Aug 2011, 04:07
Sorry but your wrong. Maybe YOU can find one there because you already have the DLC pack but I assure there is no sniper rifle in there.

No, actually, you are the one that is wrong. Right by the basketball court (where you find the two pushers who are hassling Bill Tindall if you did that side quest) there is a storage room with a rating 5 keypad. Assuming you can hack this (or find the code), inside is a laser grid and a leaky gas pipe hidden behind a large crate. There's a silenced sniper rifle in there, as well as a combat rifle, and ammo for both. Getting to them requires the rebreather upgrade, at least on DX difficulty. The gas kills you before you can even input the laser grid code and get back out.

And as to how I know it's not related to the DLC, I found it before I got my code from Amazon.

Grifman
30th Aug 2011, 04:20

Nope, it's only there if you have the preorder DLC.

Grifman
30th Aug 2011, 04:22
No, actually, you are the one that is wrong. Right by the basketball court (where you find the two pushers who are hassling Bill Tindall if you did that side quest) there is a storage room with a rating 5 keypad. Assuming you can hack this (or find the code), inside is a laser grid and a leaky gas pipe hidden behind a large crate. There's a silenced sniper rifle in there, as well as a combat rifle, and ammo for both. Getting to them requires the rebreather upgrade, at least on DX difficulty. The gas kills you before you can even input the laser grid code and get back out.

And as to how I know it's not related to the DLC, I found it before I got my code from Amazon.

Nope, you're confused about the timing. There is no silenced sniper rifle in that storage facility unless you have the DLC. The DLC puts its items into the world in various places but those items are not in the game for everyone else.

ZeppMan217
30th Aug 2011, 04:41
Realistic weapon reloading mechanic. Just like the one in Deus Ex, when reloading a gun with a half used clip wouldn't save unused ammo. Really missing that thing.

Daedatheus
30th Aug 2011, 05:22
Realistic weapon reloading mechanic. Just like the one in Deus Ex, when reloading a gun with a half used clip wouldn't save unused ammo. Really missing that thing.

There's no manual reloading in DX1.

WAIT, this feels like it was posted in the wrong thread.

INSTG8R
30th Aug 2011, 05:40

Trust me I have hacked my way in there and there is Sniper Ammo there but no rifle. In fact I was on my way back to China for the 2nd time when I read this post and I fired up the game and reloaded a older save to double check. I had hacked my way in there during my 2nd Detroit visit.

So unless setting off the gas magically opens a secret panel there is no Sniper Rifle there...:whistle:

ZeppMan217
30th Aug 2011, 05:41
There's no manual reloading in DX1.

WAIT, this feels like it was posted in the wrong thread.
There isn't? That's odd.
Also, that's what you get for having 24 tabs open. Derp.

alanschu
30th Aug 2011, 06:18
So I finally go to attach a silencer to my sniper rifle only to find out that you can't? even though there's a silenced sniper pre-order bonus? what kind of backwards bull**** is this?

I honestly just shut off the game, I was enjoying it but I'm so turned off by this. I'm sick of this pre-order bull****, It's an RPG and I should be able to create my own silenced sniper especially if it is already in the game without having to deal with this pre-order PR bull****. I should be able to enjoy the game fully without having to pre-order before It's possible to make an informed decision.

Would you care if there was no preorder bonus?

taKer123
30th Aug 2011, 14:28
I'm sick of not receiving the full game because I did not pre-order the thing...

At least with Red Orchestra 2's pre-order you can still receive the weapons, you just have to unlock them normally.

I could use the Crossbow and I will probably end up having to but it doesn't really fulfill the role that I'm playing in this role playing game...

redial
30th Aug 2011, 20:02
While i agree that we should have been able to attach a silencer to the sniper rifle..

the xbow is the lethal, long-range, scoped, silenced option.

There are two flaws with this otherwise sound logic

1. xbow ammo is extremely scarce, and sniper ammo is all over the place.

2. the xbow may not be completely silent.

i am not sure, i picked up a crossbow late in the game as i was in search of a replacement for the silent sniper which i was denied. I only used the crossbow one time because of the ammo issue.

The guy i shot yelled like a stuck pig as he went flying. It was not as loud as a gunshot, but i guessed it was as loud as the lethal takedown. Again, i have not tested this extensively, but he didnt just go to sleep like a silenced 10mm to the head

remmus
30th Aug 2011, 20:20
The guy i shot yelled like a stuck pig as he went flying. It was not as loud as a gunshot, but i guessed it was as loud as the lethal takedown. Again, i have not tested this extensively, but he didnt just go to sleep like a silenced 10mm to the head

consider none lethal takedowns are loud like a kung-fu movie fight scene and still classed as totally silent, I think you shouldn´t take every source of sound as actually stealth breaking.

And it is pretty much a fact the crossbow is the silent long range option for none pre order players, still I agree, the "normal" snipe rifle should have a silencer option.

redial
30th Aug 2011, 21:04
consider none lethal takedowns are loud like a kung-fu movie fight scene and still classed as totally silent, I think you shouldn´t take every source of sound as actually stealth breaking.

And it is pretty much a fact the crossbow is the silent long range option for none pre order players, still I agree, the "normal" snipe rifle should have a silencer option.

How do I get ammo? Just keep buying from the merchant between missions? What a pain.

Also I did nOt know that lethal takedowns were silent. I never pressed my luck near other guards. Good to knowv:thumb:

remmus
30th Aug 2011, 21:09
How do I get ammo? Just keep buying from the merchant between missions? What a pain.

Also I did nOt know that lethal takedowns were silent. I never pressed my luck near other guards. Good to knowv:thumb:

none-lethal takeowns are silent, the lethal are not, and crossbow bolts like other ammo can be found in if you take the time looking around, I assume there rare so that players have to be more tactical about when to snipe, and when to rely on getting closer and use other weapons/takedowns.

Romeo
30th Aug 2011, 22:58
Yeah, lethal takedowns arn't silent at all. You can easily attract the attention of guards 50 feet away performing one. Non-lethals are, in comparison, perfectly silent. You can execute standing a few inches away from another guard without alerting them.

remmus
30th Aug 2011, 23:02
Yeah, lethal takedowns arn't silent at all. You can easily attract the attention of guards 50 feet away performing one. Non-lethals are, in comparison, perfectly silent. You can execute standing a few inches away from another guard without alerting them.

plus if you act fast enough even a guard spotting you wont lead to alarms going of. One of the reasons I always invest points into the reflex boost that lets you do two person takedowns.

redial
30th Aug 2011, 23:28

Oh I read the first post incorrectly.

So are crossbow bolt kills silent?

I have to reject the idea that ammo is scarce simply to force us to get closer. Tranq darts and sniper ammo is force fed down our throats.

I would consider myself pretty thorough in searching all over, although I admit to getting lazier deeper into the game. Since I purchased my xbow as I first came back to Detroit, I have only found one single bolt!

Anyways, no use whining. I just use the tranq gun, it's Just boring as all hell and I'm going to have to use it even more often during my non lethal play through

Amazing game

Enraged Penguin
31st Aug 2011, 00:17

I'm kinda questioning the usefulness of lethal takedowns.. I've honestly never found myself in a situation where one has been required. I've always been better off using non lethal ones. The only benefit of lethal takedowns is that the enemy can't be woken up if found, but when are you ever going to knock someone out in close quarters and leave them in full view of one of their mates?

At least they look cool. That's their one saving grace.