PDA

View Full Version : the game seems small

doctor_atomic
30th Aug 2011, 01:06
As I am about to head back to China for the second time it occurs to me that DX:HR seems to be a smaller game than the earlier DX games. We get to run around Detroit and Hensha Island as opposed to what I recall as more locations in DX and DX:IW. In addition the game seems shorter than either of those games. I am enjoying the game and all, but it seems that we aren't getting as much on our plates as we did before.

I guess I will have to wait for more DX:HR DLC to come down the pipe.

zombieturtle01
30th Aug 2011, 01:07
Uh, I just spent 40 hours on my first playthrough, that is A LOT of game.

froghawk
30th Aug 2011, 01:10
no way, this game is much longer than Invisible War, which only took 10-14 hours on first playthrough. HR took me 20, completing all but one side quest (which was bugged) and I was definitely kind of rushing towards the end. I think it's close to the same length as the original.

Nokturnalex
30th Aug 2011, 01:14
I was definitely kind of rushing towards the end.

That's because the only thing you fight at the end is abunch of crazy humans with no guns all grouped together. Doesn't make for very interesting fights. I was hoping for at least fights as epic as the save Malik one. The last boss fight was a joke too. Not that any of em were that challenging at all.

Sodel
30th Aug 2011, 01:37
I think one of the main problem is that there are actually almost no wide open spaces in DX:HR. I think if there would be more Area inbetween the buildings larger Streets etc. the game would feel bigger.

Sure one can say "hey but thats the overpopulated future". Which would be the point were i would clal BS. Since the logical consequence would be to make buildings higher not areas inbetween smaller.

I wonder if this small areas have something todo with consoles ...

froghawk
30th Aug 2011, 01:38
lol yeah it turns into a zombie game at the end, wtf? but yeah I kind of felt like the game climaxed in the return to detroit and it was all downhill from there. the story wasn't very well shaped but the gameplay ruled, boss fights aside

cqc_batman
30th Aug 2011, 01:43
Uh, I just spent 40 hours on my first playthrough, that is A LOT of game.

lol I played for over 40 hours until I beat the game. It's indeed a very long game and that's perfect for me.

jerryku7
30th Aug 2011, 02:55
To me, the game's character and environmental model sizes all seem small compared to other games. The guns seem small, the enemies seem small, the environments seem small. It's like they just didn't scale the game correctly.

Dead-Eye
30th Aug 2011, 03:27
If I was EM, I would totally patch Pangia, and turn it into the boss epic hard core level it should have been. With like, at lest 13 boxguards.

cooper56
30th Aug 2011, 03:44
the only way game is 40 hour is if you hack every thing and find all little stuff if you do side quests and just main mission without reading all books and so on its around 20 hours.

Grunthex
30th Aug 2011, 04:06
the only way game is 40 hour is if you hack every thing and find all little stuff ..

So, basically, play it like a Deus Ex game?

cooper56
30th Aug 2011, 04:13
So, basically, play it like a Deus Ex game?
No if you play it like a person who wants to collect and know everything. Deus allows you to play game how you want so if you want a 20 hour game without the text you can do that.

Brockxz
30th Aug 2011, 05:50
For me it's a huge game because i already have 33 hours and i'm still first time in Heng Sha and it's my first playthrough. How about you don 't rush the game and actually explore everything, read everything, try to find hidden things.

Biggus
30th Aug 2011, 06:20
took me 28 hours, now rush and exploring everything, yes its kind of short

doctor_atomic
30th Aug 2011, 06:31
For me it's a huge game because i already have 33 hours and i'm still first time in Heng Sha and it's my first playthrough. How about you don 't rush the game and actually explore everything, read everything, try to find hidden things.

Ah yes, the obligatory self-righteous twit.

I have hacked everything, read everything I could find, and looked everywhere I can think of, I am an explorer. The game still seems shorter than the original, and we only have two cities in this game, both visited twice. The original had New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Vandenberg, New West Coast, and Area 51. In addition we didn't re-visit any areas other than the trip back to New York between Hong Kong and Paris.

DX:IW had Seattle, Cairo, Trier, Antarctica (which I recall as pretty short), and Liberty Island. We only re-visited Cairo.

NKD
30th Aug 2011, 06:42
Where do people get the idea that the first two games were incredibly lengthy? The first game was much like this one, it could be very long, or very short, depending on how much exploration you did. If you simply completed all the objectives without any unnecessary poking around for loot and exploration, the original game could be done in 10-12 hours. It can be speed-run in under an hour. Invisible War didn't really offer a lot of exploration, and was simply short. It can be speed run in under half an hour.

Dead-Eye
30th Aug 2011, 14:41
^^ I was just about to say, where the hell did you see someone speed run Deus Ex in under an hour... then I remembered I had already seen it.

...Still that speed run is a real acceptation to the rules. He used every glitch in the book. Deus Ex played the way it was intended to be played (I.E. no glitches) is a decently long game. However it isn't really the length of the game that makes it feel long; it's the gravitation of impotence that surrounds the story.

At every point in Deus Ex you feel like you are getting a little closer to the end as you learn more about the conspiracy. The difficulty increases by introducing new enemy NPC classes that are harder then the last, and the maps get more and more challenging too. Human Revolution on the other hand, actually feels like it get's increasingly easier as the game goes on. It's almost like it has the exact opposite flow-chart problem that Deus Ex had. Where Deus Ex's first level was too hard for your average player; The last level of Human Revolution is too easy for your average player; which sadly kinda left a bad impression on me. Which is a real shame because the rest of the game is pretty damn good.

nakedhand
30th Aug 2011, 22:02
This is a pretty long game with big levels. Saying its small is absurd. Maybe your expectations are just a tad unrealistic?

ZakKa89
30th Aug 2011, 23:35
It's bigger than DX1. Just spend 50 hours. And heng sha is huge

Jerion
30th Aug 2011, 23:43
I don't think the game is small in any but one sense. The original gave you a globe-trotting feel; New York, Paris, Hong Kong, not to mention all the one-off locations...this doesn't quite go to that extent and so feels "narrower" than the original IMO.

Barachiel
31st Aug 2011, 00:12
You're right and in a way, you're wrong. Compared to Invisible War, Human Revolution is a *bigger* game. Just rattling off the number of locations isn't a good comparison. It's how those areas feel. Due to the limitations of modern consoles, maps tend to be basically chains of boxes and corridors, to hide loading times. Invisible War felt *incredibly* cramped when I replayed it just two months ago. Sure, you visit a lot of locations, but those locations felt small and claustrophobic.

While Human Revolution lacks the sheer open feel of the original, that's because the technology has changed. And I'm not just talking about console limitations now. Engines have gotten more powerful, true, but this has imposed limitations in its own way.

The old adage about how someone can do a job 1) well 2) cheaply or 3) fast, and to pick 2 of the three. In many ways, modern gaming engines have the same problem, only the three options are 1) Huge, Open World 2) Cutting Edge Graphics and 3) Stable, Smooth Performance. You can only get two of the three with most budget and time constraints.

HR works around modern day limitations by embracing the claustrophobias where appropriate, in the cyberpunk city environs, and hiding it in others. Sure, when you know what to look for, you can see behind the curtain, but I found HR engaging enough to *not* peek, and just enjoy the ambiance. It lacks the epicness of its original, but its by far a superior product to Invisible War.

Illuminatus
31st Aug 2011, 00:32
OP, are you accustomed to small things in general?