PDA

View Full Version : Stuck trying to complete the "Shanghai Justice" quest

Mrs. Nesbit
29th Aug 2011, 16:08
Hiyas,

First off, I did use the Forum Search on this ahead of time, and the other topic about it had a different problem.

Anyway:

I completed most of the "Shanghai Justice" quest without having Level 3 hacking--when I needed to get into Lee's apartment, I simply blew down the door. This is Deus Ex, after all, I figured finding another way in was what I'm supposed to do if I can't hack.

Silly me. Apparently Eidos really wanted me to hack that panel, because now I'm at the end of the quest and Malik wants me to hack another level 3 panel on the wall at the Hive club. Welp, I can't blow my way through that one, now can I? To boot, I have the normal, retail edition of the game, so I don't believe there are any AUDs to help me out, nor, despite my extensive scouring of the building and apartment pods, have I found any pocket secretaries with the relevant code.

Any ideas? I maintain some hope that surely Eidos would not explicitly require augmented hacking to complete a quest, but I've asked on several message boards now, and the responses I've received range from "No idea" to "**** you."

Biggus
29th Aug 2011, 16:11
buy praxis pionts in Limb plus bartender in Hive has 1 praxis kit on him, you can get it as reward or just KO him

Mrs. Nesbit
29th Aug 2011, 16:20
I already did the quest for the bartender and I paid him $5k to leave the damn woman alone. Can't buy more praxies, and I already used the one he gave me.

Any suggestions that aren't "upgrade your hacking aug"? Cause I've already heard that one. Alot.

Kynaeus
29th Aug 2011, 17:16
I've long since passed that quest and there is nothing to give you that code, you need to hack it, bruteforce guess it, or move on.

Biggus
29th Aug 2011, 17:23
Move on then, it don`t matter anyway

Mrs. Nesbit
30th Aug 2011, 15:24
What do you mean "move on"? My only other option is to kill Lee just to "finish" the quest, and I imagine that will piss Malik off.

Piflik
30th Aug 2011, 16:17
'Move on' as in abandon the quest and do something else.

Frag Maniac
30th Aug 2011, 18:57
I upped my hacking augs to 2/3 stealth (from 0/3 previously) and 3/3 fortify (from 2/3 previously), so I spent a few Praxis on it. After that it was easy. It's nice to have that level of hack ability later on anyway I found. You could also through scavenging find or buy an auto unlock tool.

Mrs. Nesbit
30th Aug 2011, 19:52
Yeah, I could do that. Or I could continue to keep this topic alive on the offchance someone has figured out workaround. If not then, since this is the closest I'm going to get to actual Eidos developers, maybe this will convince them to address this quasi-broken quest in future updates.

I upped my hacking augs to 2/3 stealth (from 0/3 previously) and 3/3 fortify (from 2/3 previously), so I spent a few Praxis on it. After that it was easy. It's nice to have that level of hack ability later on anyway I found. You could also through scavenging find or buy an auto unlock tool.

*sigh* I really hate looking like an ******* but...please actually read my post before making this kind of suggestion. I already said, no praxis points. "Upgrade your hacking" is not a viable answer at this point without reverting to a save from like an hour before undertaking the miniquest (which means I lose about two and a half total hours of progress). And, as others have already confirmed, if you didn't get the Augmented US edition of the game, AUD's simply don't exist in the regular retail version of the game. You can't find them, you can't buy them. They're not there.

Mrs. Nesbit
31st Aug 2011, 21:51
bump

ranmafan
1st Sep 2011, 02:58
How close are you to the next Praxis point? You could try earning a few Pathfinder/Explorer/Trailblazer exp bonuses if you're less than 1000 points away. Quicksave before assigning the praxis, complete the quest, get the achievement, then make a decision whether to quickload or keep the upgrade. Your achievement stands, either way.

Jason Parker
1st Sep 2011, 03:18
Other than brute forcing the code there's no way around getting the needed hacking skill. Unless maybe you knockout the bouncers to see if any of them has the code to that terminal on him. Which I doubt since it is only hackable during that quest being active.

Nexus_6
1st Sep 2011, 03:19
If possible, do other quests to get Praxis points. There's two praxis kits located in Hengshaw, one in the sewer under the brothel and the other under the elevator in Hengsha Court Gardens. I remember that security terminal being particularly hard, and I had to upgrade my hacking augs to complete it.

Mrs. Nesbit
1st Sep 2011, 18:12
Thanks for the tip, Nexus. I didn't find the praxis kit in the sewers, but I remember finding that place before, so it's possible I swiped it on my first run through. The one under the elevator was still there, though. That bumped me up to lvl 3 hacking so I could complete the quest. It's worth noting I had always intended to upgrade hacking, the quest just came at a bad time.

I'm still slightly peeved that this is the only way to finish the quest. I was going to refuse to go any further out of principle, but I suppose with my hacking up to snuff there's no reason not to continue. This isn't Deus Ex when a quest has exactly one path to completion. I hope someone at Eidos will nonetheless see this and add another option in the future--even just a pocket secretary lying somewhere on the floor of the bar with a passcode would be acceptable.

Akimbo
1st Sep 2011, 18:18
Thanks for the tip, Nexus. I didn't find the praxis kit in the sewers, but I remember finding that place before, so it's possible I swiped it on my first run through. The one under the elevator was still there, though. That bumped me up to lvl 3 hacking so I could complete the quest. It's worth noting I had always intended to upgrade hacking, the quest just came at a bad time.

I'm still slightly peeved that this is the only way to finish the quest. I was going to refuse to go any further out of principle, but I suppose with my hacking up to snuff there's no reason not to continue. This isn't Deus Ex when a quest has exactly one path to completion. I hope someone at Eidos will nonetheless see this and add another option in the future--even just a pocket secretary lying somewhere on the floor of the bar with a passcode would be acceptable.

1. It's a sidequest. So it's perfectly rational that you may not have the means to complete it. After all, it doesn't break your game if you can't.

2. It should be obvious from very early in the game that hacking in a tactical espionage/infiltration game is REALLY IMPORTANT.

Taverius
1st Sep 2011, 18:19
Hacking lvl3 is pretty much required if you want to finish all the quests. No way around it.

Anything on top of that is for completionism :)

Frag Maniac
1st Sep 2011, 20:48
*sigh* I really hate looking like an ******* but...please actually read my post before making this kind of suggestion. I already said, no praxis points. "Upgrade your hacking" is not a viable answer at this point without reverting to a save from like an hour before undertaking the miniquest (which means I lose about two and a half total hours of progress). And, as others have already confirmed, if you didn't get the Augmented US edition of the game, AUD's simply don't exist in the regular retail version of the game. You can't find them, you can't buy them. They're not there.I don't recall that quest being one you are locked into, with no freedom to go elsewhere and do other things before finishing it, like getting more XP points and credits to get more Praxis. I've also not read anything about special editions being required to get and use AUDs. I have the preorder version, which has the extra mission AND some extra gear, but nowhere did it say AUDs were one of them. I also think those not spending the extra $10 to get all the AE has to offer ought to blame themselves for going cheap, instead of blaming the game.

Not to turn this into a pissing war, but I see a pattern of people feeling stuck and ill equipped, and it's always their poor management of saves, credits and Praxis that gets them in that situation, yet they blame the game for it. I feel it should be obvious when playing a game like this that your first time through you don't spend Praxis unless you absolutely need to. A simple way to discover your best option is to use the liberal save system whereby you have TWO auto saves to revert to and multiple manual saves.

There are SO many ways to bypass hacks and combat via sneaking, and lots of alternatives to wasting money like you did feeling sorry for the girl rambling on about her siblings when she admitted she knew she was getting herself into an unwise transaction. Had you just knocked her out, you'd have found a more practical middle ground that not only keeps her from being hounded by Tong's thugs, but nets you 400 credits vs wasting 5000.

That task is vaguely like the scenario where you're trying to get into the police station morgue early on. If you go about it timidly, you won't get anywhere, but crush the guy at the lobby desk repeatedly and he comes out of his denial mode and caves. Jensen goes around quietly saving the world and gets no real credit for it. He shouldn't be manipulated into feeling guilty by anyone.

The same goes for Eidos, they've made a fairly good game here as far as gaemplay goes, but get lambasted by those not playing it wisely. Show me ONE example of someone being cheated by the game, and I'll show you someone that doesn't have a clue how to play it. There ARE things to be upset about with the game, but this crap about being stuck unprepared is not one of them.