PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane is not in South Australia

t0lkien
29th Aug 2011, 13:48
Just an FYI - a newspaper article ingame mentioning a pro-Chinese rebel weapons cache found in a Brisbane house (cool!) had the South Australian Federation responding. Brisbane is the capital of Queensland, not SA. It's a long way from SA - almost as far as LA is from NY - so it's unlikely even in this imagined future any force from SA (the capital of which is Adelaide) would be responding to a situation in Brisbane.

Kudos for using Australian localities. Brickbat for not checking what is elementary Oz geography.

Tuttle
29th Aug 2011, 13:50
South Australia declared it's own sovereignty and took over half of Australia.

NSW didn't mind, 70% of it was useless desert anyway.

Random
29th Aug 2011, 14:10
The whole Australian civil war thing is absurd anyway so I guess there's no point quibbling over details.

It's just crazy the degree of political, social and demographic change required to make conceivable an Australian civil war between 'pro China rebels' and a cohesive political entity called 'South Australia' which has somehow expanded from one of the country's smaller states into its main political force.

Didn't anyone in Eidos know an Australian? Any one of them could have told them the concept is nuts.

It's like saying in 15 years there will be a civil war between east Denmark and west Denmark, sparked by pro British rebels.

Or like north Canada and south Canada, involving pro Japan rebels.

Biggus
29th Aug 2011, 14:14
Blame Canada err Eliza Cassan

t0lkien
29th Aug 2011, 14:28
If it had been a Canberra force (i.e. Federal) then perhaps it would be believable. But South Australia? None of the devs have ever been to Adelaide obviously ;)

And the northern part of Australia became pro-Chinese? Say what? Deep and persistent anti-Asian sentiment aside (the residue of two world wars), North Queensland and the Northern Territory can barely motivate themselves to throw on some shorts, thongs (flip-flops) and T-Shirts, and start up the BBQ, let alone organise some sort of military rebellion in honour of China.

Maybe they were playing on the SA bushranger thing? The entire premise is pretty out of touch with modern Australia though :/

sjvan0
29th Aug 2011, 15:12
The whole Australian civil war thing is absurd anyway so I guess there's no point quibbling over details.

It's just crazy the degree of political, social and demographic change required to make conceivable an Australian civil war between 'pro China rebels' and a cohesive political entity called 'South Australia' which has somehow expanded from one of the country's smaller states into its main political force.

Didn't anyone in Eidos know an Australian? Any one of them could have told them the concept is nuts.

It's like saying in 15 years there will be a civil war between east Denmark and west Denmark, sparked by pro British rebels.

Or like north Canada and south Canada, involving pro Japan rebels.

Or having, I don't know, Michigan, or Illinois, suddenly overtaking California, New York, and Washington DC as the major power in the US, fighting pro-Mexico Arizonan rebels

Random
29th Aug 2011, 15:49
I can't speak to the likelihood of that stuff happening in the US (though I think the demographics make it at least more feasible), but remember that secessionist desires in the DX1 backstory occurred after a massive economic collapse. There's no such excuse with an Australian civil war in 2027.

sjvan0
29th Aug 2011, 16:20
I can't speak to the likelihood of that stuff happening in the US (though I think the demographics make it at least more feasible), but remember that secessionist desires in the DX1 backstory occurred after a massive economic collapse. There's no such excuse with an Australian civil war in 2027.
Oh no, I was agreeing with you, putting it in perspective using US locations. Although the ones I picked probably weren't really perfect.