PDA

View Full Version : Better games in the last 5 years

Fox89
29th Aug 2011, 12:10
Right, this is just something that I'm curious about after reading various reviews and impressions.

Personally, I thought Deus Ex: Human Revolution was the best game I've played since 2006, maybe even longer. I awarded it an A+, a grade I've only previously felt comfortable giving to the original Deus Ex and four others that I'm not going to go into here. But my acclaim doesn't seem to be universally shared, so I just wanted to get a feel for the kinds of games that those people feel are superior to it.

So that's my question: in the last 5 years or so, what games have you played that are better than Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Preferably stuff in a vaguely similar genre, so nobody say FIFA ;)

NKD
29th Aug 2011, 12:14
In the last 5 years? Hmm... probably nothing. I enjoyed Assassins Creed series and the Mass Effect games quite a lot, but not as much as DXHR. Last game I invested this much time in a game in this genre was the original DX.

webstar
29th Aug 2011, 12:15
There are no better games in the last 5 years. I have nothing but praise for Eidos Montreal and Nixxes Software, and I hope they'll continue making games as good as DXHR.

Itkovian
29th Aug 2011, 12:28
In the last 5 years, the only game I can think of I got this "thrilled" about (not sure if it's the right word... let's call it the feeling you get when you realize you're playing something that the designers really cared about, a true masterpiece) would be Dragon Age Origins.

And that's a totally different genre, but I see the same level of incredible polish and love in this product. In the same genre? I can't think of any, aside from the original DX and System Shock 2.

DX:HR has reached the top of my list of games, really. At least modern-looking games.

Itkovian

Charadesmith
29th Aug 2011, 12:34
Best game i've played since Shadow of the colossus back in 2005

DisaFear
29th Aug 2011, 12:38
Mass Effect is what I can think of from the top of my head

ranmafan
29th Aug 2011, 12:45
At the risk of sounding like a complete and utter fanboy, every game I've played since the day I heard about DX:HR has been simply a way to pass the time waiting for this game to come out. The last game I was this hyped for was HL2, and that was worth the wait too.

I'm glad my wait was vindicated! This is a great game! Sure it has its flaws (what game doesn't in the eyes of the masses?), but as an experience overall it really reminds me of DX, and that's worth the price of admission.

ranmafan
29th Aug 2011, 12:46
At the risk of sounding like a complete and utter fanboy, every game I've played since the day I heard about DX:HR has been simply a way to pass the time waiting for this game to come out. The last game I was this hyped for was HL2, and that was worth the wait too.

I'm glad my wait was vindicated! This is a great game! Sure it has its flaws (what game doesn't in the eyes of the masses?), but as an experience overall it really reminds me of DX, and that's worth the price of admission.

CarpeNukemXVIII
29th Aug 2011, 12:51
There have been a few games in the past generation which I was really hyped for. Both Mass Effect games, MGS4, and very few others.

Biggus
29th Aug 2011, 13:01
Good, solid game but not the best IMO
Both Witchers far better

Wunderbar_007
29th Aug 2011, 13:07
Stalker:Call of Pripyat and Witcher 2 (and witcher 1 I guess, wasn't it 2007?)

Both games better than DX:HR in my opinion.

FatalSylence
29th Aug 2011, 13:23
Amnesia: The Dark Descent. One of the best games I've ever played in my life.

imported_the_guy
29th Aug 2011, 13:35
Call of duty... Just kidding! :rasp:

Maybe Half life 2, but other than that, nothing.

GreasedScotsman
29th Aug 2011, 13:57
I adored the Witcher series but felt like W2 just... "ended." They really dropped the ball with the story. The game itself, during its opening chapters, was fantastic though.

I've enjoyed the ME series and I'm glad they improved on the shooter experience in ME2.

I even enjoyed SC Conviction as an action game (because I didn't have any stealth expectations, and was glad to find ways to stealth through some levels and nearly stealth through others). SC Chaos Theory is still the quintessential stealth action game for me, though.

DXHR, while perhaps not the best (haven't completed it yet), is certainly up there with my top favorite games in the last 5 years. I feel like Eidos, with the exception of unavoidable boss fights, has made a real gem.

GreasedScotsman
29th Aug 2011, 13:59
I adored the Witcher series but felt like W2 just... "ended." They really dropped the ball with the story. The game itself, during its opening chapters, was fantastic though.

I've enjoyed the ME series and I'm glad they improved on the shooter experience in ME2.

I even enjoyed SC Conviction as an action game (because I didn't have any stealth expectations, and was glad to find ways to stealth through some levels and nearly stealth through others). SC Chaos Theory is still the quintessential stealth action game for me, though.

DXHR, while perhaps not the best (haven't completed it yet), is certainly up there with my top favorite games in the last 5 years. I feel like Eidos, with the exception of unavoidable boss fights, has made a real gem.

Cowless
29th Aug 2011, 14:01
In terms of similar games the last one i enjoyed this much was Hitman: Blood Money. Deus ex is probably the best game ive played since supreme commander forged alliance (yes i realize its a completely different type of game :P).

Brian175
29th Aug 2011, 14:24
Conviction, Mass Effect, MGS3 and 4 mainly 3, Assassin's Creed and now Deus Ex...to me the best games are cinematic experiences not only in story, but animation and art direction. Conviction and Assassin's Creed have the best hand-to-hand combat ever.

Fox89
29th Aug 2011, 14:32
Conviction, Mass Effect, MGS3 and 4 mainly 3, Assassin's Creed and now Deus Ex...to me the best games are cinematic experiences not only in story, but animation and art direction. Conviction and Assassin's Creed have the best hand-to-hand combat ever.

If you're gonna mention hand to hand combat, surely Batman Arkham Asylum must feature in there :)

Brian175
29th Aug 2011, 14:42
I actually haven't played it...I'll have to give it a shot. I usually stray from comic/movie games. Hum, looking at the release date, I was overseas when this came out explaining why I might have missed it. Thanks.

BlackFox
29th Aug 2011, 14:42
In the past 5 years? hmmm not much it has to be said, mass effect is probably the only one that can come even close, but maybe that says more about the competition rather than how great DE:HR is? :scratch:

Or maybe DE:HR has actually shown up a great deal of other game developers who put little effort/time/money into a project and bash out simple COD wannabe's. Not that there is anything wrong with CoD but its mindless copycats really show up the lack of imagination in the games industry, when DEHR shows what can be done when you have some passion about your work.

Maybe its just fear of taking risks to make a quick buck, but Deus Ex shows what can be acheived and has set a new standard at least for consoles which has had every game dumbed down until this. I cant really comment on PC games having not played them for a few years now.

Ronin
29th Aug 2011, 15:03
BioShock, ME Series. That would be it. All in all I've been pretty disappointed with the game industry these past years. But I'm pumped to play DH:HR. I have it since the 27th but I'll only return to my Xbox the 31th. Man, that's painful. But since I have been waiting for 11 years, what's a few days more, eh?

MonkeyLungs
29th Aug 2011, 15:12
My favorites from this console gen... no real order (except for number 1 fav):

Borderlands ... my clear number 1 winner of this gen so far.
Other favs no order: Dragon Age: Origins (NOT DA2), Mass Effect 1 (NOT 2), Sacred 2, Too Human, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Runners up: Fallout: New Vegas, Two World's Two, Mass Effect 2, Oblivion, Alpha Protocol

Lirezh
29th Aug 2011, 15:15
DX:HR is by far the best I've played since DX1.
DX1 was still somewhat better. It had a deeper and more immersive storyline better augmentation balancing (regarding the requirement of CHOICE) and the world was a lot more interactive (all those solid-stone objects in DX:HR sucked).
The nameless mod (with DX10+textures+models etc) was a real nice game, anyone who loves Deus Ex will enjoy that game!

So well I also enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins a lot.
I liked Witcher 1 and 2
Masseffect 1 was nice as well but with some boring parts.
The thief series were nice, well it's been a while since last thieve ;)
Fallout 3 was good as well

In the past years the most awesome game was Deus Ex: Human Revolution

maikaal
29th Aug 2011, 15:15
Hitman Blood Money
Batman Arkham Asylum
The Witcher

redial
29th Aug 2011, 15:18
Best game i've played since Shadow of the colossus back in 2005

an incredible game. SoTC had left me feeling totally emotionally crushed. That very long lasting feeling is something that no other game had done to me in recent memory.

Aside from that gem, i also love Mass Effect, and the Witcher series. But i enjoy DE:HR more.
While the witcher may look better on a scorecard, i think HR is the best game ive played in a long while

exmachinad
29th Aug 2011, 15:23
Not necessarily better (or worse :D ), but Fallout - New Vegas is a great game for me. Great writing, voice acting, tons of side-quests and optional stuff that often are kind of connected in sublte ways and a lot of freedom to make choices.

This kind of "open ended sandbox" game is generally not my stuff, but New Vegas really hooked me into it as very few games managed to since... well, a really long time. Can hardly wait for the next/final DLC. :cool:

chabbles
29th Aug 2011, 15:31
yeah, this game is ***n amazing, its really something special... i cant honestly think of any other game this gen that gives this level of immersion and just plain fun, this is up there with the likes of mgs1, one the best games ever made

jd10013
29th Aug 2011, 16:44
BioShock, ME Series. That would be it. All in all I've been pretty disappointed with the game industry these past years. But I'm pumped to play DH:HR. I have it since the 27th but I'll only return to my Xbox the 31th. Man, that's painful. But since I have been waiting for 11 years, what's a few days more, eh?

BioShock is close, but I'd say inferior to HR. BS was just a little too shooter IMHO. Hopefully Levine is playing it and realizing that you don't have to have things like almost unlimited ammo and supplies, or Vita chambers to have a good and good selling game.