PDA

View Full Version : Is The Sniper Rifle A Useful Weapon In The Game?

ricardosamuel1961
29th Aug 2011, 10:56
I picked up a sniper rifle early in the game and have been lugging it around ever since.
Wondering whether it's a useful weapon. In the original Deus Ex it was a good weapon to have since you could snipe MJ12 commandos with it.

Deus Ex HR favors non-leathal takedowns, so I'm wondering whether to just sell the rifle since it takes up a lot of space in the inventory.

Biggus
29th Aug 2011, 11:00
i sold it, you can`t put silencer on it, plus 10mm pistol doing much better job with laser pointer and silencer

vashts1985
29th Aug 2011, 11:02
ive used it a few times to take down other snipers, and the second trip to hangsha, but other than that you probably wont see opportunity for it other than a tactical takedown of an enemy. as said its not suppressed. pulling the trigger will initiate a fight.

Sodel
29th Aug 2011, 11:27
I'm not that far into the game (just finished the first bossfight). But till now the sniper rifle is the most pointless space-consuming weapon in Deus Ex.

1) no silencer -> which is the most stupid design decicion in a game where there are rarely wide open spaces so actually you are a sniper that will get spotted after doing the first shot ...

2) Damage is pointless because i do the same dmg with my pistol and probably cover the same distance

3) the game obviously is not designed for the ranged shots in which the sniper-rifle would be useful (maybe that changes later on?)

Reven
29th Aug 2011, 12:17
I had the sniper rifle all the way to the second visit to Detroit and it is useless. If you have the augmented edition just keep the Longsword Whiperhead as a lethal version of the tranc rifle since you will be lucky to ever fire one bullet from the real thing before you end up in a CQC fight.

CJ78
29th Aug 2011, 12:18
Even with the silenced sniper rifle, I didn't have many too good opportunities. At the last level, I had a sniper rifle with 89 ammo being lugged around and a pistol that was more powerful (and the pistol has armor pierce)

Piflik
29th Aug 2011, 12:25
There are certain situations where the sniper rifle did come very handy for me...for example the first boss or when you return to Heng Sha...

DieBySword
29th Aug 2011, 12:28
the sniper rifle is pointless because without augs it sways a lot and is loud as hell while you can snipe better,noiseless and with AP ammo with a fully moded pistol that you can get after exiting sarif building after the first mission with purity first.

The damage output on the sniper is pointless because you going for head shot that are 1 hit kill anyway with a AP pistol. There is no bullet drop so a sniper is as effective as the pistol and with the laser attached you can sniper people from far away with the pistol. The pistol is silenced and has AP ammo that negates any armor so you can 1 kill armored people with ease and stay undetected and it takes far less inventory space and has more ammo for it and stack 50 bullets while the sniper only 20. Most of all there isn't any place that has so much open space to actually feel the zoom on the sniper is needed to score head shots.

Itkovian
29th Aug 2011, 12:59
I disagree: I found the sniper rifle to be an extremely effective weapon on many occasions, at Deus Ex difficulty.

Just get it the laser pointer, and you will find it is a very devastating medium to long range weapon. You do not need to use headshots with it in the first place, and you can basically take down anyone except heavies in a single shot with it, so you can quickly take down crowds with a single clip without having to take the time for headshots.

That said, if you are doing a pure stealth playthrough I admit it is not so good, but when the alarm is given and you have a good perch, the sniper rifle is a great weapon for clearing an area. I certainly did not regret lugging it around.

As for not being silenced, that comes with its extremely high damage: supersonic bullets cannot be silenced. That's why the Whisperhead does less damage.

That said, I think if there is one area where weapon balance is a bit wonky, it would be just how powerful the 10mm pistol becomes when upgraded. It makes little sense for a handgun to be so effective.

Itkovian

Piflik
29th Aug 2011, 13:03
Yes, the Pistol is very usefull, but that the sniper is pointless is simply not true. Even with the AP mod, there are still enemies that you need two headshots with the pistol, while you can one-shot them with the sniper.

Example:
When you return to Heng Sha and your chopper is shot down, there are two Belltower Heavies.
I had a fully modded Pistol and a completely unmodded Sniper (save for the laser pointer) and I killed the Heavies with one shot to the head, while I needed two shots with the pistol.

Doom972
29th Aug 2011, 13:27
You don't get many scenarios in which you can take out someone from long range. A 10mm pistol with silencer and laser sight allows for easy head shots at short and medium range.

Cerebelum
29th Aug 2011, 13:43
I love long range fighting in most games. Borderlands=Mord, all MMO's = hunter/runemaster type chars, FPS (BF:BC2, Joint ops: typhoon rising...where you could be a PROPER scout/sniper etc) = sniper.

Found the sniper rifle in DX:HR and the first thing i disliked was its size. Too much inv space taken up. Then there was the horrid FOV of the zoom. Finally the game design means its virtually useless as a silenced 10mm or smg beat it hands down at all the ranges you shoot at. So I found myself selling it...go figure. IMO you can't beat the 10mm pistol with a silencer (now i have adjusted my pistol sniping style), laser pointer and AP. With the smg with a silencer and the funky flechettes as a back up.

DieBySword
29th Aug 2011, 13:50
AP pistol with maxed damage mod and your 1 hit KO heavies. If your using the sniper as a close-mid range weapon then yeah its kills most guys with 1 shot to the chest while the pistol takes 6-7 shots but if your so close your not gonna use the pistol for chest shots but for head shots. The pistol shoots faster, has more bullets and reload faster too.

Cerebelum
29th Aug 2011, 13:57
Oh yes...pistol ammo and smg ammo can be found all over....sniper ammo is (as far as i have played anyway) rather rarer.

Psygnosis
29th Aug 2011, 14:21
I personally like how the sniper rifle looks and i especially like how it sounds. Whenever i use it, i feel POWER.

Though i agree that there are not too many uses for it considering the lack of long range targets... but, i plan to hold onto it due to its badA$$ factor.

I have a question, which i hope someone(s) can answer. If i equip the sniper rifle with a laser targeting system and have all of the recoil augmentations installed, will the gun be accurate without using the scope? (can i fire it from the hip and have the bullets land where the laser is pointing)? I hope so... because then i think the sniper rifle would be very useful for CQC.

Thanks

nakedhand
29th Aug 2011, 14:21
I agree with most posters here. They seem to have more than crippled sniper rifle game play by riddling it with disadvantages from one end to the other. The FOV however is interesting, and sort of refreshing to see. Much more of a challenge to use this way. They could have kept this and made ammo more abundant and offered better damage for the Whisperhead to even out the drawback of the low scoped FOV.

Cerebelum
29th Aug 2011, 14:51
I could sort of cope with the FOV if it were not for the rodent response in the game. Despite faffing about with the x and y sensitivity and having a G5 where i can adjust the dps on the fly, in game, I still feel a bit disconnected from the cursor when shooting. Almost like its attached to the mouse via a bowl of custard.

Itkovian
29th Aug 2011, 15:31
I personally like how the sniper rifle looks and i especially like how it sounds. Whenever i use it, i feel POWER.

Though i agree that there are not too many uses for it considering the lack of long range targets... but, i plan to hold onto it due to its badA$$ factor.

I have a question, which i hope someone(s) can answer. If i equip the sniper rifle with a laser targeting system and have all of the recoil augmentations installed, will the gun be accurate without using the scope? (can i fire it from the hip and have the bullets land where the laser is pointing)? I hope so... because then i think the sniper rifle would be very useful for CQC.

Thanks

If you have the laser targeting system you can use the sniper rifle without the scope. It becomes a very useful weapon then.

Itkovian

Psygnosis
1st Sep 2011, 14:52
Just wanted to follow up my post from a few days ago.

The sniper rifle becomes a seriously valuable weapon once you add the laser targeting system. With all recoil and movement aiming reduction augmentations installed you can fire the sniper rifle from the hip (without the scope) with deadly accuracy. Almost all enemies are taken down in a single shot.

At this point i've upgraded the ammo capacity, damage, and rate of fire on the gun. I can unload the entire 6 round clip in less than 5 seconds. The sound is amazing, the enemies go flying... i think it's my favorite weapon. Its an excellent sniper rifle, and it can be used like an assault rifle in close quarter combat. It is very satisfying to round a corner with this thing and unload on a group of unsuspecting soldiers. BAM BAM BAM, three dead enemies in less than 3 seconds.

There is one problem though, and i think THIS IS A BUG. Once the laser site is added to the sniper rifle, the scope is no longer absolutely accurate. Bullets land a few inches lower (perhaps 6 inches) than you would expect. You can adjust your aim to compensate, BUT I HOPE EIDOS ADDRESSES THIS IN A FUTURE PATCH.

To sum it up, and answer the OP's question, yes, the sniper rifle is a valuable weapon to have in your inventory.

nathanj
1st Sep 2011, 15:19
i sold it, you can`t put silencer on it, plus 10mm pistol doing much better job with laser pointer and silencer

this.

Pulseczar
1st Sep 2011, 15:23
I could sort of cope with the FOV if it were not for the rodent response in the game. Despite faffing about with the x and y sensitivity and having a G5 where i can adjust the dps on the fly, in game, I still feel a bit disconnected from the cursor when shooting. Almost like its attached to the mouse via a bowl of custard.

That's probably caused by frame-rate lag. Try turning off V-Sync, or lowering graphical settings like resolution and AA.

ecto69
1st Sep 2011, 17:19
Love the Sniper, too bad I can't get the silencer version from the Tactical DLC.
I carry it around all the time even if I don't have ammo so next time I find any I can again use it. My 10 mm is upgraded several levels and is my main weapon when in combat mode.

The coolest one is the laser rifle, the one that uses batteries. (it is suppose to be the strongest weapon in game)

Locutus of BORG
1st Sep 2011, 18:11
I prefer the Traq gun and Crossbow for sniping.. there's no point in my mind for a slow shooting gun if it just gets you rushed by mobs everytime you pull the trigger. I wish I had the Tactical pack for the silienced sniper rifle.. which is all the things the Crossbow wants to be but isn't. :(

I haven't tried this since I'm on a Pacifist run right now, but can a Silenced Combat Rifle w. Laser & Seeker rounds be used to "snipe"? I mean, the laser does the general directing, so the seekers would do the rest, won't they?

Psygnosis
1st Sep 2011, 18:36
I prefer the Traq gun and Crossbow for sniping.. there's no point in my mind for a slow shooting gun if it just gets you rushed by mobs everytime you pull the trigger.

Yea, the sniper rifle has no use if you are going the stealth route, however; if you are making some noise, i highly recommend applying a few 'rate-of-fire' upgrades to the sniper rifle... Upgraded, i don't consider the sniper rifle a "slow shooting gun".

Psygnosis
1st Sep 2011, 18:38
I haven't tried this since I'm on a Pacifist run right now, but can a Silenced Combat Rifle w. Laser & Seeker rounds be used to "snipe"? I mean, the laser does the general directing, so the seekers would do the rest, won't they?

The seaker mod doesn't usually score headshots. The rounds seek towards the torso... so as far as sniping, you can do it silently, but not in one shot.

Frag Maniac
1st Sep 2011, 20:38
I used the special preorder one with the silencer to get the Against all Odds achievement whereby you save Malik from being killed when she's being attacked in the crashed VTOL. It's a pretty good one shot kill distance weapon. Of course I used explosives to finish off the big bot after jumping down to the crash site though, as well as the combat rifle to get a few strays hiding behind things. I have to say for the most part it's unneeded though. It CAN be handy for taking out guys on distant catwalks so you can sneak through a few places easier, but that's only if you have the silencer attachment.

balanced
1st Sep 2011, 21:29
the sniper rifle is pointless because without augs it sways a lot and is loud as hell while you can snipe better,noiseless and with AP ammo with a fully moded pistol that you can get after exiting sarif building after the first mission with purity first.

The damage output on the sniper is pointless because you going for head shot that are 1 hit kill anyway with a AP pistol. There is no bullet drop so a sniper is as effective as the pistol and with the laser attached you can sniper people from far away with the pistol. The pistol is silenced and has AP ammo that negates any armor so you can 1 kill armored people with ease and stay undetected and it takes far less inventory space and has more ammo for it and stack 50 bullets while the sniper only 20. Most of all there isn't any place that has so much open space to actually feel the zoom on the sniper is needed to score head shots.

Don't know if my PS3 version is bugged but with my silenced/laser/AP pistol I can do multiple headshots on one man and they won't die if they have armour/helemt. It takes lots of headshots to kill them.

RWFoss
1st Sep 2011, 22:45
Don't know if my PS3 version is bugged but with my silenced/laser/AP pistol I can do multiple headshots on one man and they won't die if they have armour/helemt. It takes lots of headshots to kill them.

Have you also modded the pistol with the damage upgrades? That will make a huge difference...

balanced
1st Sep 2011, 22:59
Have you also modded the pistol with the damage upgrades? That will make a huge difference...

Yes.

alanschu
1st Sep 2011, 23:23
If you plan on sniping with the sniper rifle, I find it's best to shoot and move. I have used it to pretty good success. Although the place I found one (kind of a factory with a sniper guy on the perch) I was able to use it from the second floor pretty indiscriminately without them finding me, as long as I was careful with LOS.

Frag Maniac
2nd Sep 2011, 00:01
Don't get the sniper rifle unless you're good at using one. Sniper rifles are precision vs high damage weapons, except in the case of the Barrett Arms M82 50 cal, which is a heavy duty military grade weapon that is made more for long range takedown ability than portability and stealth at shorter (med to long) ranges.

That said, there is no appropriate scoped assault rifle that can suitably take it's place, so if you like to shoot from a distance, the sniper rifle can be handy. Only problem is there aren't that many places in the game where you need to shoot long range, and if you don't have the silencer it can just cause more problems with having to move and sneak a lot to relocate.