PDA

View Full Version : Can you beat the game without getting augmentations?

Cypher2587
29th Aug 2011, 06:34
Anyway I've got about 14 hours in on this game. I'm starting to believe that the entire game might be beatable without any upgrades which in essence plays right into the story. "Are augmentations even necessary?"

I truly felt like a badass from the beginning. Obviously some sidequests can't be completed without some of the upgrades but the main story so far seems like it could be done without it.

For people who have beaten the game can you shed some light on this? No spoilers please

jerryku7
29th Aug 2011, 06:37
Hmm well I guess you could beat the whole main story, but some sidequests require upgraded hacking software

NKD
29th Aug 2011, 06:42
You can't do everything, but it's certainly possible to beat the game without buying upgrades. In fact, in most cases you can even refrain from using the ones you start with.

badmonk
29th Aug 2011, 08:19
seeing as you start the game with augs already implanted then no!

Firetaffer
29th Aug 2011, 08:40
seeing as you start the game with augs already implanted then no!

You start the game with no augmentations though!

badmonk
29th Aug 2011, 08:43
You start the game with no augmentations though!

yeah in the story, but as soon as the game starts for real i.e where you play, you have augs right?
so you cant play through the game with no augs and even the basic ones like your hud etc are augs :)

Fox89
29th Aug 2011, 09:34
Well I think the spirit of the question is whether you can complete the game without upgrading anything from your 'starter augs'. And yo that I think the answer is yes, although I imagine it'll be bloody difficult. Sounds like a fun playthrough though, especially on Deus Ex difficulty!

Brockxz
29th Aug 2011, 09:35
the more challenging question is: can you beat the game without using augs (except that first mission part where you are forced to hack door panel) and without even touching anyone (except Bosses ofcourse)? And of course to do that in DX difficulty :)

DieBySword
29th Aug 2011, 11:29
the more challenging question is: can you beat the game without using augs (except that first mission part where you are forced to hack door panel) and without even touching anyone (except Bosses ofcourse)? And of course to do that in DX difficulty :)

Totally doable and this approach takes far less time than farming xp for augs and taking down enemies with takedowns. If you change it to a no augs but guns allowed run then its even easier and quicker to finish the game.

Thats why the preferable way (kind of forced by the developer) is to stealth it using non-lethal takedowns with getting ghost and smooth operator bonuses and exploring everything, hacking anything you see even if you have a password for it. Getting the social augs is a bonus to getting money,info and alternative speech lines and bonuses (smooth talker) - truly an "I win button".

Sodel
29th Aug 2011, 11:35
To be honest i dont think it would be a problem. The only thing you probably need is the hacking upgrade to the highest level because you cant even try to hack if you dont have them.

Brockxz
29th Aug 2011, 11:38
Totally doable and this approach takes far less time than farming xp for augs and taking down enemies with takedowns. If you change it to a no augs but guns allowed run then its even easier and quicker to finish the game.

Thats why the preferable way (kind of forced by the developer) is to stealth it using non-lethal takedowns with getting ghost and smooth operator bonuses and exploring everything, hacking anything you see even if you have a password for it. Getting the social augs is a bonus to getting money,info and alternative speech lines and bonuses (smooth talker) - truly an "I win button".

As i said, no augs (not even those that are from the start) and no weapons, no takedowns, no killing at all (except bosses). Remember, hacking is augmentation, so no hacking too. Are you sure it is doable?

DieBySword
29th Aug 2011, 12:19
As i said, no augs (not even those that are from the start) and no weapons, no takedowns, no killing at all (except bosses). Remember, hacking is augmentation, so no hacking too. Are you sure it is doable?

1) You dont need takedowns you can just stealth past anyone
2) You dont use weapons look at 1.
3) You dont kill because 1. and 2.
4) You dont need a radar you got cover system that shows you everything.
5) You dont regen health because noone knows your around look 1. to 4.
6) You dont need hacking you can use vent or terrain to pass an area or just throw barrels and other heavy stuff (no lift aug here needed) to brake doors, or use guns,mines,grenades to blow the doors/walls.