PDA

View Full Version : Many augmentations feel like cheating?

Sodel
29th Aug 2011, 03:32
I have played past the first boss battle now. And no matter how i look at it i dont want to get most augmentations. I took the weight ones for more inventory and also the Hack-Augmentations up to levle 5 but anything else except for maybe some hack-stealth skills to me seem like cheating or cheap shots:

social-enhancement
-> from what ive read it spoiels what you can actually grasp by reading and it cuts quests
I want neither to me this is like cheating why would i want to make quests shorter or spoil things i can find out myself? I'm glad i read in the forums before i activated it because at first i thought it would actualyl enhance the game with more dialogue options etc.

Rardar
My radar is way to good as it is.

See trough Walls
So the Wallhack-Radar is not enough ...

Punch walls/ move heavier crates
Both seem to be augmentations that just open up cheap shortcuts in levels. So for me it doesnt actually enhance the game it just shortens the game and makes it easier.

Armor etc.
The game is way too easy as it is, i really enjoy my game how i am playing now which is pretty much -> "get spotted without beeing prepared and your dead" which is what i want. If i had more armor the game would get pretty pointless.

Takedowns
I tried them -> didnt like them (it is rather stupid why would my silent charackter do useless cinematic moves that people probably hear in the whole city?). Also Instant-kill attacks that cant fail why would i want to make them even mroe imba ...

So dont get me wrong i like the idea of augmentations but for me that shoudl be something that actually enhances the game and not something that makes the game way easier or just cuts your quests. I wonder how others think about that?

NKD
29th Aug 2011, 03:35
If you don't like certain augs, don't use 'em.

All augs make the game easier. They are additional abilities and enhancements that make you more powerful. So all augs are cheating, apparently.

SearingWind
29th Aug 2011, 04:59
love them all. I love walking into a room full of bad guys will a 5 bars of energy, max stealth, and just going grey fox on them with my arm blades. Best feeling in the world.

No this game is not hard and probably will never be hard unless you do something like never take a single aug and use nothing but the revolver and never use stealth or cover. Your character is suppose to be the equivalent of a dragoon full body borg' (for the CP2020 fans) in an environment where most people hardy have any augs and most are not military grade. They do a good job making it feel that way which I think is a good thing.

DXM1
29th Aug 2011, 05:38
i had the same opinion as you about some of them, but it changed after i actually got them. Social for example is still very interesting to use and isnt as cookie cutter as you think.

Try them out, you'll see they are all pretty good. Nothing stands out as way too op.

Even the takedowns arent op b/c they use batteries. Once i upgraded to several batteries, i stopped using takedowns b/c i simply cant afford the energy cost. 1 battery for a takedown when i can simply use a stun gun... not worth it for me. I save precious energy for cloak and other badass moves. Way more important.

Its balanced pretty well.

Black-Xero
29th Aug 2011, 06:30
That's whole point of what they're used for. Not really cheating...or close to it.

Nyysjan
29th Aug 2011, 06:57
Even the takedowns arent op b/c they use batteries.

Just returned to detroit, and i can assure you that takedowns are totally OP, and i have neither upgraded amount of cells i got nor taken the reflex booster.
And apart from the 2 bosses and thetutorial level, i have yet to fire a shot, instead i have chosen to knock everyone out with non lethal takedowns.

sea
29th Aug 2011, 07:12
You assume a few things here.

The CASIE augmentation isn't an automatic win button. You still need to pay attention to what people say in conversations, and it doesn't cut game content so much as provide alternate options, including ones with different outcomes than the regular persuasion options. I won't go into detail, but sometimes the fastest and easiest path is not the best from a story perspective, and it's possible for your CASIE to even backfire when you meet someone who is equipped with similar social enhancements.

Opening new paths through levels isn't "cheating." Does taking a shortcut in the Detroit hub suddenly mean you're getting "less game" for spending less time walking around? Does being able to jump over certain walls/fences/objects mean you're "cheating" even if the game was clearly designed with this in mind and there are many situations where you miss out on things without the augmentation? While some are definitely more useful and arguably even game-breaking from time to time, dismissing something because it gives you an option is a bullish kind of perspective. Better switch your display off, being able to see the game is an unfair advantage! Sound effects? Come on, you should be able to beat the game deaf! It's a really arbitrary and fuzzy line to draw.

Takedowns let you instantly incapacitate or kill an enemy (or two), but have their cost: energy items are limited and energy cells don't recharge fast enough for you to rush in and spam takedown attacks. Additionally, they're rather useless in open areas with lots of enemies, as you'll often die trying to run from enemy to enemy, and other augmentations, like cloaking, will continue to consume even more energy just to allow you that strategy in the first place. Last, using takedowns against multiple enemies is usually a bad thing because it's very common to end up with a dozen bullets in your face once the takedown animation is complete. While I agree that takedowns are still overpowered (would have preferred proper melee combat, or had heavy enemies that could resist takedowns), they do have drawbacks compared to other methods through the game. If it wasn't for the fact that they give lots of XP, they'd be even more situational than they currently are, since there'd be less incentive to rely on them.

NKD
29th Aug 2011, 07:19
Just returned to detroit, and i can assure you that takedowns are totally OP, and i have neither upgraded amount of cells i got nor taken the reflex booster.
And apart from the 2 bosses and thetutorial level, i have yet to fire a shot, instead i have chosen to knock everyone out with non lethal takedowns.

I wouldn't really call takedowns overpowered. In fact, many people avoid them altogether because of the energy recharge limitations. It takes a lot of patience and time and quicksaving to knock people out in a crowded room without raising an alarm.

It would be much easier to just skip everyone by sneaking around. Yeah, for a guy standing alone in a hallway, a takedown is the best solution, but for every other scenario it's probably the most time consuming.

Nyysjan
29th Aug 2011, 07:32
I wouldn't really call takedowns overpowered. In fact, many people avoid them altogether because of the energy recharge limitations. It takes a lot of patience and time and quicksaving to knock people out in a crowded room without raising an alarm.

It would be much easier to just skip everyone by sneaking around. Yeah, for a guy standing alone in a hallway, a takedown is the best solution, but for every other scenario it's probably the most time consuming.

Never said it was the fastest solution, but for those with patience (or those with OCD about xp), it's the best solution the pretty much every situation except boss fights and bots (and both are easy to kill with claymore aug).

Daedatheus
29th Aug 2011, 08:08
Let's be honest here, the cloaking aug is crazy overpowered. Sprint right through all the lazers? Walk right past tons of guards? They should have at least not let it bypass laser security systems so easily.

dimljajvbu
29th Aug 2011, 10:11
The ones I would call most "cheaty" are all given to you to begin with. I never asked for this.

And really, some of the others feel very underpowered... Not in gameplay terms, but in how they compare to what I would expect from the augmentation.

tZer
29th Aug 2011, 11:40
Shooting kills enemies, that makes the game too easy :(

Sodel
29th Aug 2011, 16:38
Shooting kills enemies, that makes the game too easy :(

Even if this was obviously sarcasm its true in some way:

- Weapons are simply imbalanced in this game:

Pistol with addons and even without is so strong that it pretty much kills anything with one headshot from almost any distance which makes first of all all other guns pretty useless and on the other hand it makes the game way too easy when you play more of a run and gun approach since you oneshot anyone from distance. The main problem with this is probably the AI and how overpowered a handgun with silencer,laser,ammo and damage upgrades is.

I think it would be a good thing to make the gunse mor specific for example:
-pistol -> low to midrange with low accuracy the further away the enemy aswell as doing less dmg and not penetrating armor
-machinegun -> low to midrange for larger groups i would also like to have fire modes
- sniper rifle -> mid to long range (i think sniper with laser for close combat is rather ...)

And for the augmentations well im still not convinced i think i will just stay away from most of them. The game is a bit too easy as it is.
The only thing that is making the game fun for me atm when it comes to gameplay-mechanics is:
- beeing noticed or spotted is a big problem for me
- runnign into an enemy by beeing reckless most of the time means instant death
- just having the standard radar is almost a bit oo much already

BTW. i just got he jump augmentation to be able to not die from falling. I hope there is a way to disable this annyoing render movie everytime i jump down anywhere plz tell me i dont have to see that crap every single time?

DarkStar33Cdn
30th Aug 2011, 04:14
I am not sure why you thing a handgun needs to be inaccurate. Handguns can be just as accurate as a combat rifle at range.

10mm armor piercing rounds exist now, helmets aren't really designed to absorb straight shots.

Sodel
30th Aug 2011, 11:33
I am not sure why you thing a handgun needs to be inaccurate. Handguns can be just as accurate as a combat rifle at range.

10mm armor piercing rounds exist now, helmets aren't really designed to absorb straight shots.

Well its more about gameplay-mechanics. The problem is that at least in my current playtrough every other weapon is pretty much useless compared to my upgraded handgun.
And for helments. Most of the shots at a helment depending on the angle of contact should probably ricochet.

From my point of view DeusEX:HR is missing something rather important. Lots of Hit-Zones and special zones for extra DMG. This feels rather strange aswell with other guns, for example i didnt know that you can instant kill people by shooting their feet with a crossbow ...
And if the Armor had unforgiving hit-zones it would also made higher-caliber weapons more usefull and it would make pistols less imba. At least thats how i feel.

L0neWolf
30th Aug 2011, 11:45
@thread starter well they are aug's for a reason, they are meant to make you something more than human. Feel like cheating while playing? Beg dev's to release a patch/mod to make ai WAY more agressive.

hazard001
30th Aug 2011, 11:58
social-enhancement
-> from what ive read it spoiels what you can actually grasp by reading and it cuts quests
I want neither to me this is like cheating why would i want to make quests shorter or spoil things i can find out myself? I'm glad i read in the forums before i activated it because at first i thought it would actualyl enhance the game with more dialogue options etc.

I actually love my social aug and if there were more points you could put in it, I would. Why? It's not just 'push the pheromones button'. You have to pay attention to the conversation, what your options are, and the description of his character in making your choices. THEN you get to the point of where your aug makes a difference, and you decide if he's a alpha, beta, or omega and select the path that'll only work for the right personality type to convince them. It really adds to the game.

Rardar

This was my first aug. Not for the range, but because you don't have to spot them before they show up on radar. Highly useful imo, for any aug user.

Both seem to be augmentations that just open up cheap shortcuts in levels. So for me it doesnt actually enhance the game it just shortens the game and makes it easier.

I haven't gotten the punch through walls, I thought it was mainly for combat. Interesting though I might pick it up. I have the move heavier objects one though. If you think finding hidden goodies and making your own way is cheating, well most of this game will be cheating to you. It just provides an alternative path or new items. Though personally I love going into people's places and stealing their refrigerators in plain sight.

Armor etc.
The game is way too easy as it is, i really enjoy my game how i am playing now which is pretty much -> "get spotted without beeing prepared and your dead" which is what i want. If i had more armor the game would get pretty pointless.

Getting this all the way to 45% was aug #2 for me. I wanted to be combat type. Gonna get the aim augs next.

demonbox
30th Aug 2011, 14:24
@thread starter well they are aug's for a reason, they are meant to make you something more than human. Feel like cheating while playing? Beg dev's to release a patch/mod to make ai WAY more agressive.

^ that's the point
augmentations r just that...augmentations...you know it's all about human revolution ;)
what feels a bit "unbalanced" is that npc/enemies don't take such advantage of their own augs (when they have some)
except for level bosses...which r imo the worst aspect fo the game, considering that r "mandatory" and u have no other option than to kill them

i really wanted to save the crazy chick, like asked by the AI, sadly i had no option to do it, not before the fight, not during the fight and not even after the fight was over..but that's just me i guess

Ashbery76
30th Aug 2011, 17:51
Social-enhancement is really a game changer that makes it very easy..I will not use it for my second play.

remmus
30th Aug 2011, 19:50
each to there own, in my mind all augs are tools in a toolbox, and it´s up to you what you pick and what to avoid

heck in my book the recoil compensation is a bit cheating, since when maxed out you can fire a bloody minigun like it was a bb gun.

Dresden
30th Aug 2011, 23:22
Bullets are cheating imo.

Enraged Penguin
30th Aug 2011, 23:41
One of your main arguments here is that by using some of the augs you're cutting back on the game content you experience. I think it's probably worth mentioning that by NOT using augs you're cutting back even more. That certainly applies to..

Social Enhancer: Unique dialogue choices and conversation outcomes, unique quest outcomes, unique rewards.. Christ the list of things you can get with this that you can't normally is quite large.

Punch Through Wall, Move/Throw Heavy Objects, Icarus Landing System, Jump Enhancement, EMP Shielding, Chemical Resistance: Same thing applies for all of these ones really. More options. And that doesn't just mean short cuts.. There are plenty of areas in the game that you simply cannot reach without these augs. That's game content that you'll never see right there. Just play the bloody game lol.

Dawodo
31st Aug 2011, 06:47
The Pistol and the Grenade Launcher are much too overpowered. I liked the "snake" Boss with 3 shots of the grenade launcher. He can't even do something like running away because he stumbles when I hit him.

The Cloaking device is also WAY too overpowered. Every other augmentation is just fine - you are heavily augmented in the game, you HAVE to feel at least a bit overpowered. But with the cloaking device you can just run through everything. I think I will do some kind of speed run, pushing all points on Cloaking, Silent Running and Energy Cells - let's see if we can get past ~3 hours.

Romeo
31st Aug 2011, 06:56
I have played past the first boss battle now. And no matter how i look at it i dont want to get most augmentations. I took the weight ones for more inventory and also the Hack-Augmentations up to levle 5 but anything else except for maybe some hack-stealth skills to me seem like cheating or cheap shots:

social-enhancement

Rardar

See trough Walls

Armor etc.

Takedowns
I tried them -> didnt like them (it is rather stupid why would my silent charackter do useless cinematic moves that people probably hear in the whole city?). Also Instant-kill attacks that cant fail why would i want to make them even mroe imba ...

So dont get me wrong i like the idea of augmentations but for me that shoudl be something that actually enhances the game and not something that makes the game way easier or just cuts your quests. I wonder how others think about that?
There's a couple I disagree with there. The move heavy objects and punch through walls are no different than you upgrading your hacking - they just open up areas that wouldn't otherwise be explorable.

Armor would be all bit necessary for a combat player on Deus Ex difficulty not using the cover system. I know in the early parts of China the heavy soldiers and large mechs would absolutely tear one to pieces if they weren't using it.

And social choices don't "skip" quests, they provide alternate solutions, as far as I was aware.

As for the over-all point, the purpose of augs IS to make you feel stronger, like you're develloping along as you see fit, and gaining in power.

love them all. I love walking into a room full of bad guys will a 5 bars of energy, max stealth, and just going grey fox on them with my arm blades. Best feeling in the world.

No this game is not hard and probably will never be hard unless you do something like never take a single aug and use nothing but the revolver and never use stealth or cover. Your character is suppose to be the equivalent of a dragoon full body borg' (for the CP2020 fans) in an environment where most people hardy have any augs and most are not military grade. They do a good job making it feel that way which I think is a good thing.
I don't know. I'm on Deus Ex difficulty, and no cover, and I know if I get spotted - I'm dead. No way around it.

i had the same opinion as you about some of them, but it changed after i actually got them. Social for example is still very interesting to use and isnt as cookie cutter as you think.

Try them out, you'll see they are all pretty good. Nothing stands out as way too op.

Even the takedowns arent op b/c they use batteries. Once i upgraded to several batteries, i stopped using takedowns b/c i simply cant afford the energy cost. 1 battery for a takedown when i can simply use a stun gun... not worth it for me. I save precious energy for cloak and other badass moves. Way more important.

Its balanced pretty well.
I do find myself frequently using a non-lethal takedown, but then sitting in a corner for a long time waiting for it to fully charge again. Nothing sucks more than when you think you're at full bar, but you're a couple pixels short, and you run up behind a soldier, only to useless keep hitting the melee button, when he turns around and blows your head off.

I haven't tried the social aug, but does it just make conversations easier? Or does it actually provide some alternative options?

numinous
31st Aug 2011, 07:21

social-enhancement

Rardar

See trough Walls

Armor etc.

Takedowns

Don't worry, you're completely right.

These abilities would be fine if the game compensated for them later on. Perfect example, why can you press Q to defeat named NPCs that are apparently "really dangerous?" Why can you press Q to take down heavies when even in the tips it tells you to avoid them? It's truly boring and poor design. There needs to be a constant level of difficulty throughout the game not "buy this aug and you can cut through everything like butter" - that's cheating.

Also, ignore NKD. The delusional fool has white-knighted this game without any semblance of structured argument since he joined. You can't educate someone like that.

I really like DXHR, but yeah - it seemed playtested for soccer mums, not intelligent players that enjoy a constant challenge.

It also makes me wonder about the DLC. Are they going to do some rebalancing and take into account your overpowered augs? Or will it just be more of the same with "buy aug to have non-resistant path through X"

numinous
31st Aug 2011, 07:26
Also, yes, the Persuasion ability SKIPS content. It provides a brief "oh maybe you're right" and then gives the same outcome that you would achieve by going through the conversation regularly. Which, because you're not skipping content, is a lot more enjoyable and informative.

ufo8mycat
31st Aug 2011, 07:27
I'd have to say yes to the OP's question.

Cloak for example. After unlocking it, I no longer have to think aboutmy approach or strategy. I no longer have to study guard routes etc. I can just enable the cloak and effortlessly go wherever I want. It was like playing the game on Super Easy.

Way way overpowered.

OGU
31st Aug 2011, 08:09

Cloak for example. After unlocking it, I no longer have to think aboutmy approach or strategy. I no longer have to study guard routes etc. I can just enable the cloak and effortlessly go wherever I want. It was like playing the game on Super Easy.

Way way overpowered.

But you will be used allready Praxis Kits for cloacking and cloaking is nothing usefull for bossfights, some other choice will be using Praxis Kits for strenght and armor augs insteed of cloacking. Afterall with Praxis Kits you design your character you want him to bee, this is not cheating i think.

In this Game main thema is the augmentation should be enabled in mankind or not :). How can a Human Revoluation could be a cheat, if it is a cheat than the main idea of this game is the cheat.

JCpies
31st Aug 2011, 08:13

Way way overpowered.

Yeah, because a maximum of 7 seconds per cell really lets you go through the entire game invisible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you shouldn't have your own opinion, but the cloak is underpowered enough so that you still need to think and use energy conservatively. I can't "Cloak and effortlessly go wherever I want."

Romeo
31st Aug 2011, 08:17
Yeah, I have quite a few gripes about the game, but cloak is just a tool. And like all tools, it has a limited set of circumstances in which it's useful. I find it's only good for a "dash across" sprint, and if I wasn't such a perfectionist, I could see using it when one has been caught. I didn't know about the laser thing, so hey, that's cool (I had wondered about it though, as the description says it bends light). But still, an utterly useless aug against bosses. And, without upgraded energy cells, not very useful for closing the gap with an enemy to strike them.

ufo8mycat
31st Aug 2011, 08:46
Yeah, because a maximum of 7 seconds per cell really lets you go through the entire game invisible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you shouldn't have your own opinion, but the cloak is underpowered enough so that you still need to think and use energy conservatively. I can't "Cloak and effortlessly go wherever I want."

I just think it eliminates the suspense when not trying to get caught and alot of the 'thinking' and studying guard movements is not really required anymore. Just have to make sure you get to cover before it runs out.

I mean going through the FEMA facility. You can pretty much run through it literally with having the cloak upgraded enough + chocolate bars to recharge. It eliminated all the suspense, tension and thinking, compared to not using it. Cloak - cover - recharge - repeat.

I guess thats just me abusing it :)

Romeo
31st Aug 2011, 08:54
I just think it eliminates the suspense when not trying to get caught and alot of the 'thinking' and studying guard movements is not really required anymore. Just have to make sure you get to cover before it runs out.

I mean going through the FEMA facility. You can pretty much run through it literally with having the cloak upgraded enough + chocolate bars to recharge. It eliminated all the suspense, tension and thinking, compared to not using it. Cloak - cover - recharge - repeat.

I guess thats just me abusing it :)
Don't forget though - that's also you using up all your chocolate bars, which could've had negative consequences later on. Run out of juice while a guard is looking in your direction? Now you're exposed AND you have no energy left.

Mjesko
31st Aug 2011, 13:25
I think the augmentations are great in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, because they give the player different options to solve situations. But in my opinion the radar range should be reduced from 25 m to 15 m and from 50 m to 30 m to balance the radar and to make the upgrade more powerful. The dermal armor should increase the damage reduction by 25 %, 50 % and 75 % as long it is ACTIVE.

sumoftwosins
31st Aug 2011, 14:15
My thoughts are... you are more human than human. You have some of the most advanced technology on your side. What's the point of having these augmentations if they don't make your life easier. For those of you who never played through DX1 at least 10 times doesn't understand what Deus Ex is about.

I don't deny that some of the abilities make certain situations a breeze, but that is the point of having them.

numinous
31st Aug 2011, 14:28
My thoughts are... you are more human than human. You have some of the most advanced technology on your side. What's the point of having these augmentations if they don't make your life easier. For those of you who never played through DX1 at least 10 times doesn't understand what Deus Ex is about.

I don't deny that some of the abilities make certain situations a breeze, but that is the point of having them.

If you're going to use story as an excuse for gameplay, that's poor form. I'd counter by asking that if the game was concerned about being challenging consistently, why didn't enemies make better use of their augs? You see brief snippets of this when the FEMA guys start using cloak but I mean, in the end you still just press Q on any person in the game whether they're as aug'd up as you or not.

The point of augs is NOT "making the game a breeze" - it's about offering a variety of gameplay options. And those options should be equally thought-out and consistently challenging throughout.

App33
31st Aug 2011, 18:24
Just as in Deus Ex, I felt that DEHR shined brightest at the early stages (gameplay wise), where you actually have to make game-altering decisions with your very first augs. Later in the game, you just become a powerhouse of -everything-. I thought criticals augs could cost more, or just having aug X to lock off aug Y. Maybe just make it an option for highest difficulty level, or such.

All in all, I enjoyed the game as it was. I have tendency to roleplay and restrict character builds on my own.

Mjesko
31st Aug 2011, 19:33
Just as in Deus Ex, I felt that DEHR shined brightest at the early stages (gameplay wise), where you actually have to make game-altering decisions with your very first augs. Later in the game, you just become a powerhouse of -everything-. I thought criticals augs could cost more, or just having aug X to lock off aug Y. Maybe just make it an option for highest difficulty level, or such.

Yep, that was great in Invisible War. You had augmentation limits and the cloaking augmentation was split into cloaking against living enemies and cloaking against bots.

I think the cloaking augmentation in DEHR is much more fun than traveling through the vents.