PDA

View Full Version : Developers: A thousand times, THANK YOU!

borzwazie
29th Aug 2011, 02:50
To the developers, producers, and everyone involved in this game: THANK YOU. This is a wonderful return to the world of Deus Ex, as good or better than the original. I'm still in disbelief that this game actually got made.

This is a top-notch effort. Now, I have another request:

Can you please do System Shock next? :D

The_Audiophile
29th Aug 2011, 04:14
To the developers, producers, and everyone involved in this game: THANK YOU. This is a wonderful return to the world of Deus Ex, as good or better than the original. I'm still in disbelief that this game actually got made.

I love the game, but you're asking to get killed in your sleep.

Nyysjan
29th Aug 2011, 06:05
as good or better than the original.

It is good, better than i expected, definetly one of the best releases in years.
But it is not as good as the original Deus Ex, not even close.

badmonk
29th Aug 2011, 08:10
i also agree that DXHR is fantastic but come on guys, those still harping on about the original, yeah it WAS good back then, but now the visuals are very dated and its 2011 now :)

i am sure that this is mainly a nostalgia kick for some of you (like the guys who still say goldeneye is the best FPS etc) these titles were the best, back in the day, but not any more!

gameplay and visuals have come a long, long way, embrace today and the future :)

ranmafan
29th Aug 2011, 08:20
I'm worried fans of the original DE (myself included) may be viewing the old game with rose tinted glasses. Sure, it was awesome in some ways, but it was equally awful in many ways too. In this context, DE:HR seems to be fine just the way it is.

So yes, thank you Eidos Montreal! A couple more bugfixes and this game really is *gold*. :D

badmonk
29th Aug 2011, 08:26
I'm worried fans of the original DE (myself included) may be viewing the old game with rose tinted glasses. Sure, it was awesome in some ways, but it was equally awful in many ways too. In this context, DE:HR seems to be fine just the way it is.

So yes, thank you Eidos Montreal! A couple more bugfixes and this game really is *gold*. :D

thats exactly what i meant! those rose tinted glasses work for some many fan boys eyes!! i went back and played some ol skool titles and like i said above, awesome back in the day but very dated now!!

after playing newer games the old ones cannot compete at all! but ofc this is how it is, game tech moves on and gets better and better and will continue to do so!

maikaal
29th Aug 2011, 08:42
gameplay and visuals have come a long, long way, embrace today and the future :)

Gameplay has not progressed since 2000 because, after Deus Ex, it had nowhere to progress.

I tried Deus Ex for the first time only in late 2008 and it became my favorite pc game of all time (i've been gaming since 1997). So, nostalgia does not apply in my case.

Deus Ex with the HDTP patch looks awesome and i'm excited to try the New Vision mod in the nearest future.

Nexevo
29th Aug 2011, 09:44
Being a huge fan of the original Deus Ex, I had high hopes I wouldn't be disappointed by DE:HR. I've been so let down by games over the last few years I seriously considered throwing in my gaming towel if I didn't think HR was any good.

I'm happy to say I'm enjoying it immensely. A fantastic game and a real successor to the original.

So a big warm thank you from me too.

borzwazie
30th Aug 2011, 06:03
Originally Posted by borzwazie View Post

Can you please do System Shock next?

I love the game, but you're asking to get killed in your sleep.

Hey, I *loved* the original game, but let's not sugar-coat the thing. When it released:

* The graphics performance *sucked*
* The graphics had horrible banding on the textures
* The character animations were/are really substandard
* It's fun to LAM climb, but really, that kind of breaks the whole immersion thing
* Miss one headshot and instantly *EVERY* enemy on the map knows exactly where you are and gangr*pes you with bullets
* "it goes on forever—and—oh my God—it's full of stars^H^H^H^Hbugs!" </spaceodyssey>. Seriously, a buggy release.

This release is a lot more playable for me than the first game was. Oh, the cursing. Oh, the corrupt gamesaves.

Giuseppe
30th Aug 2011, 07:23

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/yes/3517jvp.gif

ZakKa89
30th Aug 2011, 07:51
It is good, better than i expected, definetly one of the best releases in years.
But it is not as good as the original Deus Ex, not even close.

The first Deus Ex does some things a little bit better but DEHR as a whole I find even better than Deus Ex 1

Raditude
30th Aug 2011, 08:18
The original Deus Ex, even though it had incredible alternate paths, had very impractically designed/ugly environments. The designs of which no self respecting architect would create.
Its environments too were limited to large boxes with sky, and cube buildings with details such as windows painted on flat. Clearly there was room for a reimagining of this world.

Human Revolution is its own game, but it takes all the parts I loved about Deus Ex into its own vision of the future. I love how believable it is. Some details nod to retro Sci-Fi, but many are incredibly contemporary and right on the horizon. I love the atmosphere, and the tension that you see everywhere. You see the conflict that the Human Revolution brings, and it excellerates all the problems in classism and morality. There is such a rich setting here, both philosophical and political, personal and universal. WOW. Cyberpunk has always been a great platform for these debates, but never has it been depicted in a game with so much detail and grace.

The gameplay itself is really well thought out. Its modern, but sacrifices almost nothing in the translation. You can tell that the augmentations were given careful consideration for balancing, and the environments in turn designed to appeal to different branches of augmentation. The gunplay is not easy, and you need to rely on cover to survive. I actually ended up loving this, though I wasn't sure I would. I found myself coming up with many creative solutions to problems I wouldn't have if I could stand around shooting at people.
The one thing that HR lacks that I do miss, is the locational damage of your main character. I understand why it is gone. It adds a convoluted layer to the health system, and slows down the gameplay. It suited the original game, but I see that it might not suit HR so well.

I could babble on about all the great things HR has done. It is at once a great sequel, and a great evolution of the franchise. Its story is incredibly engaging, its world is one I get lost in, its great fun, and I expect this game to live on in my memory for a long time. Eidos Montreal proved themselves more than capable, they proved that they are the perfect match for the franchise. I CANNOT WAIT for their next game.
Much Love.
(I doubt they will work on System Shock 3, though. I imagine freeing that IP from EA's claws would prove challenging. It sucks because I love that series a great deal aswell.)