PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading energy is a waste of praxis, fair warning

mrfoxx
28th Aug 2011, 22:52
You never regen beyond the first bar, and no skills require more then 1 bar, so dont waste any praxis on this, put points into energy regen and not more energy over all.

It seems edios had to choose between making candy bars and protein supplements totally useless or having us waste praxis upgrading energy all the way only to find out without energy bars you'd be stuck at one bar at all times.

They foolishly choose to make the consumables more important then the actual praxis.

As some one who strictly plays hand to hand, LTL take downs only this energy problem slows me down a lot, ive gotten used to it, but i figured i should tell all new players to spend your praxis elsewhere.

Fox89
28th Aug 2011, 22:55
Well I found multiple energy bars quite useful in my playthrough, so :p. You're wrong.

Fluffis
28th Aug 2011, 22:57
You never regen beyond the first bar, and no skills require more then 1 bar, so dont waste any praxis on this, put points into energy regen and not more energy over all.

It seems Eidos had to choose between making candy bars and protein supplements totally useless or having us waste praxis upgrading energy all the way only to find out without energy bars you'd be stuck at one bar at all times.

They foolishly choose to make the consumables more important then the actual praxis.

As some one who strictly plays hand to hand, LTL take downs only this energy problem slows me down a lot, ive gotten used to it, but i figured i should tell all new players to spend your praxis elsewhere.

Or, you know, let people play the game the way they feel like, and perhaps find out that you're completely wrong.

mad825
28th Aug 2011, 22:58
Depends on the run however on my first run, I needed to waste praxis points :hmm:

mrfoxx
28th Aug 2011, 23:00
Well I found multiple energy bars quite useful in my playthrough, so :p. You're wrong.

Please share one situation where you need more then 2?

Only time i ever needed 2 was when i had to stealth first then go into the double takedown.

Fox89
28th Aug 2011, 23:05

Only time i ever needed 2 was when i had to stealth first then go into the double takedown.

Hengsha. Apartment buildings I think...might have been somewhere else. Icarus landing stun into cloak into double takedown into into typhoon, into single takedown from the one guy who survived my typhoon thanks to a potted plant. All within the space of about ten seconds.

Also there were some prolonged periods of cloak/look through walls where multiple pips were useful.

nomotog
28th Aug 2011, 23:15
I don't think the extra energy ever actually helps. You can always pause the game to eat down more candy bars. (I might need to do a extra take on that) The battery upgrades just seem to be extra candy spaces only not as safe because they get burnt out from emps.

Fox89
28th Aug 2011, 23:19
I don't think the extra energy ever actually helps. You can always pause the game to eat down more candy bars. (I might need to do a extra take on that) The battery upgrades just seem to be extra candy spaces only not as safe because they get burnt out from emps.

That lacks the badass factor though. Jump down from a rooftop, stun two guys, takedown two more, cloak and charge into the middle of a group of enemies and blow them all up with typhoon before taking out one last bad guy with a takedown = totally awesome.

Jump down from a rooftop, stun two guys, PAUSE GAME AND EAT CANDYBAR, takedown two more, PAUSE GAME AND EAT CANDYBAR, cloak and charge into the middle of a ground of enemies, PAUSE GAME AND EAT CANDYBAR, blow them all up with a typhoon, PAUSE GAME AND EAST CANDYBAR, before taking out one last bad guy with a takedown = lame.

Terminus
28th Aug 2011, 23:50
That lacks the badass factor though. Jump down from a rooftop, stun two guys, takedown two more, cloak and charge into the middle of a group of enemies and blow them all up with typhoon before taking out one last bad guy with a takedown = totally awesome.

Jump down from a rooftop, stun two guys, PAUSE GAME AND EAT CANDYBAR, takedown two more, PAUSE GAME AND EAT CANDYBAR, cloak and charge into the middle of a ground of enemies, PAUSE GAME AND EAT CANDYBAR, blow them all up with a typhoon, PAUSE GAME AND EAST CANDYBAR, before taking out one last bad guy with a takedown = lame.

I agree. I'm on my first playthrough, on Give Me Deus Ex, and I'm going basically all cranial (full social, all hacking upgrades) with a few random stuff I picked up for specific situations, like double takedown, and high jump. In the few instances where I've needed more than one energy cell, I've chomped a candy bar. Sure, it sort of ruins the immersion, but mostly I'm hiding in a vent at the time. And yeah, so far, I would feel like I would be missing needed augs if I spent any praxis on energy cells.

Next playthrough I'm going full-out brutality, so I can see wanting a slew of energy cells so I can do awesome stuff like Icarus drop to Typhoon to cloak or something.

Itkovian
28th Aug 2011, 23:51
I disagree, I find having more than 1 bar extremely useful, but you need to plan ahead for it.

Having more than 1 bar allows you to chain energy-consuming moves, such as cloaking to get close to enemies and then using a takedown or two, or a typhoon strike. In such situations you must have more than 1 bar ready.

Personally, I find it is good to have however many bars your top energy-restoring item allows. For example, if you carry around the food that restores 2 energy bars, then having a max of 3 is quite handy.

Itkovian

Dentrick
29th Aug 2011, 00:45
If you hoard energy and the items that give you energy then no, it doesn't make sense to add to your energy capacity. If you don't mind wasting that stuff then having more energy can make life a little easier.

At the last boss

I cloaked and hacked her life support. I had to have all five energy bars to do this without getting riddled with bullets while hacking it.

Risingred
29th Aug 2011, 01:25
Next playthrough I'm going full-out brutality, so I can see wanting a slew of energy cells so I can do awesome stuff like Icarus drop to Typhoon to cloak or something.

I'm currently doing a full brutality run. Everyone dies.
I had figured I'd boost the energy augs later on but I think I have to up them in the list of priorities for double takedowns, just for survivability.

Brian175
29th Aug 2011, 02:12
His spoiler

I did the same, but with three batteries using nukes to expedite hacking...it was the only time I found the extra battery remotely helpful.

Nebular
29th Aug 2011, 02:14

Hacking a level 5 security node with 2 drones coming at me. The level 3 cloak ate up 4 batteries while I was doing it, but it saved my hide.

Cloaking past a number of guards in a tight area - didn't want to fire my gun, and there was not enough room to silently take any of the down without being spotted. (Took anywhere between 3 - 4 batteries depending on the situation, where I was, where I wanted to be, and what was in the way)

Non-lethal take down, cloak right as his buddy turns around and spots the body, then non-lethal take down that guy before he can wake his friend up. (enough to spill into 3rd battery)

See through wall, punch through wall to kill the guard, cloak before his buddies rush in, silent take down on both guards. (3+ batteries thanks to the drain from x-ray and cloaking).

and so on ...

Thomac
29th Aug 2011, 02:32
Hacking a level 5 security node with 2 drones coming at me. The level 3 cloak ate up 4 batteries while I was doing it, but it saved my hide.

Cloaking past a number of guards in a tight area - didn't want to fire my gun, and there was not enough room to silently take any of the down without being spotted. (Took anywhere between 3 - 4 batteries depending on the situation, where I was, where I wanted to be, and what was in the way)

Non-lethal take down, cloak right as his buddy turns around and spots the body, then non-lethal take down that guy before he can wake his friend up. (enough to spill into 3rd battery)

See through wall, punch through wall to kill the guard, cloak before his buddies rush in, silent take down on both guards. (3+ batteries thanks to the drain from x-ray and cloaking).

and so on ...Of all those examples only the first one is actually valid; something taking 3-4 batteries (Or 30-40 for that matter) can be done just as well without any battery upgrades, all you need to do is put those candybars on a hotkey and remember to use them when you need more energy.

CJ78
29th Aug 2011, 04:11
If you hoard energy and the items that give you energy then no, it doesn't make sense to add to your energy capacity. If you don't mind wasting that stuff then having more energy can make life a little easier.

At the last boss

I cloaked and hacked her life support. I had to have all five energy bars to do this without getting riddled with bullets while hacking it.

I just EMPed all the turrets :P

Vasarto
29th Aug 2011, 04:15

Anytime when you need to take out two guys quickly of course! Or if there is a bunch of guys. You fill up on energy and take one out stealthful and the other two when they are hostile. It has saved me countless times so your wrong.

NKD
29th Aug 2011, 04:33
I found it incredibly useful for lengthy bits of cloaking. Plus, let's be honest here, you get a lot of Praxis in this game, and it's a better choice than the various filler that isn't relevant to whatever playstyle you are using.

SearingWind
29th Aug 2011, 05:04
5 bars of energy, maxed stealth = Grey fox mode. No one is safe from my invisible arm-blades of death.

DXM1
29th Aug 2011, 05:34
i went all stealth and im really happy i got all the battery upgrades... the cloak benefits greatly from it.

Jump into a room, cloak, run around and shotgun everyone in the face. Those batteries get depleted pretty quick.

singularity
29th Aug 2011, 05:52

You know you don't need ANYTHING in the game right? Even with bosses you have to kill, there are weapons and ammo lying around the arenas you fight them in, so you don't even need to carry guns in your inventory.

It's possible to beat the game without touching another person. every single item you pick up - every gun, bullet, grenade, mine-template, hack-virus -- every augmentation you buy, everything you upgrade, every weapon upgrade... they do only one thing, and that's make the game easier by giving you more options. Not a single one of them is essential, or even recomended in all honesty.

DX is about options... carrying various guns with different attachments, having various grenades, having various augs, having various amounts of energy all give you MORE options. Thats the whole reasons augs like inventory increase and energy increase exist.

Fox89
29th Aug 2011, 09:40
Of all those examples only the first one is actually valid; something taking 3-4 batteries (Or 30-40 for that matter) can be done just as well without any battery upgrades, all you need to do is put those candybars on a hotkey and remember to use them when you need more energy.

That is ALSO a valid approach. What is it with people saying somebody else's play style isn't valid, just because person A prefers to have multiple energy bars so he doesn't have to worry about refueling them mid-epic-sneaking session, and person B prefers to spend his Praxis points on something else and bind his cyberboost to a hotkey?

They're both perfectly fine!