PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Card died because of Deus Ex

TheCellch
28th Aug 2011, 18:51
Hello everyone.
I started playing Deus Ex 3 yesterday and today after a longer session of a couple of hours my graphic Card died.
It was a nvidia 295 gtx Asus. The warranty expired 5 months ago. Do I have any chance of getting recoupment?

Greets TheCell :)
Btw I love Deus Ex 3 good work but please limit the fps or whatever cause the high gpu usage.

brucek2
28th Aug 2011, 18:56
My desk lamp light bulb burned out while I was reading your post.

Will you be sending me a new light bulb?

ontelo
28th Aug 2011, 19:14
Hahaha I had to register only to reply this stupid post.

Can you really blame developers if your computer cooling sucks? :D

"limit fps" :D

I probably have to install crysis to get new graphics card..

Anazzar
28th Aug 2011, 19:48
its unfortunate that your GPU has gone man but you can limit fps in the future by turning on v sync which limits fps to the refresh rate of your monitor (for me is 60).

The developers are not really to blame here

fresh fish 101
28th Aug 2011, 19:48
i agree with ontelo... its your fault that your cooling sucks. you really should've thought twice before making this thread, and the fact you're serious is kinda funny. open your side panel on ur computer or turn up the fan of your card next time... live and learn, right?

tet5uo
28th Aug 2011, 19:50
This thread is gold.

Anazzar
28th Aug 2011, 19:55
To the people in this thread saying his cooling sucks

uncapped fps can cause overheating on high end cards very easily if you are unaware of it, doesnt matter how good your cooling is.

I had this issue before where I was getting near 300 fps in planetside back in the day and didnt notice my card was hitting 80c, luckily I keep a monitor running which notified me of it.

tet5uo
28th Aug 2011, 19:59

uncapped fps can cause overheating on high end cards very easily if you are unaware of it, doesnt matter how good your cooling is.

I had this issue before where I was getting near 300 fps in planetside back in the day and didnt notice my card was hitting 80c, luckily I keep a monitor running which notified me of it.

If your card can't handle 100% load without dying it's not the game's fault.

FPS has nothing to do with it.

Anazzar
28th Aug 2011, 20:04
If your card can't handle 100% load without dying it's not the game's fault.

FPS has nothing to do with it.

At what point did I say it was the games fault, if you read my earlier post I said I was not there developers fault

and Yes GPUs can handle 100% but its not a good idea because it will burn it out ALOT faster and his GPU was past warranty.

ontelo
28th Aug 2011, 20:04

One single Nvidia GPU had this problem, and it's is already fixed.

And nevertheless if there would be such a problem, I wouldn't think that OP has that kind of machine that even gets FPS above 100.

10hellfire01
28th Aug 2011, 20:29
That or the card just hit the end of its life. All cards, even if they're the same model, are not 100% the same, which is a known fact. Like people, everyone is unique. :rasp:'

I am curious what other games he's played since Deus Ex isn't nearly anywhere near the most demanding game on the market, at least for me.

brucek2
28th Aug 2011, 20:43

Way to keep on adding fail to the fail thread ;-)

1. The very definition of "good cooling" is to provide enough cooling so that the hardware can operate reliably at its maximum workload. If your graphics card overheats, you do not have good cooling, and it did matter that you didn't.

2. "Uncapped fps" is not some sort of user error where we're all supposed to be diligently capping our fps to prevent this overheating. The work load of the card is determined by how much work its doing per frame, and by how many frames per second. You could just as easily push an underpowered card to its max workload by setting higher resolution and higher settings than it can support, even though it would produce low fps.

(That said, you're right that its good advice to not needlessly generate more frames than you can use -- even in a well-cooled system you're ultimately just wasting energy and probably adding more noise and heat to your environment than you wanted.)

failgo
28th Aug 2011, 21:14
Yep, it should be known that especially for older cards if you don't clean out the dust that accumulates on your electronics, it will generate a lot more heat than it should be. It also weighs down and blocks airflow on fan blades. Dust on a circuit board can ignite and damage the hardware as well. This is probably how people usually burn out their cards. I have killed a few over the years. Cleaning out dust periodically can make a big difference on temperatures in your computer case.

Furmark is a good benchmark to test whether your video card needs some attention, or your fan speeds need tweaking. It puts a very unrealistic load on the cards. But beware, if you aren't monitoring the temps while running it and your card is at risk of overheating you could damage it. Just be on hand to stop the stress test if the temps get high.

EDIT just to be clear, software should not be damaging hardware , unless there is something wrong with the hardware itself.

TROOPER181st
28th Aug 2011, 21:20
Hello everyone.
I started playing Deus Ex 3 yesterday and today after a longer session of a couple of hours my graphic Card died.
It was a nvidia 295 gtx Asus. The warranty expired 5 months ago. Do I have any chance of getting recoupment?

Greets TheCell :)
Btw I love Deus Ex 3 good work but please limit the fps or whatever cause the high gpu usage.

My condolances.. rest in pieces dear old GTX295 ...
but now you have a good excuse to buy a new one ! and sue Eidos! :D

Spaxspore
28th Aug 2011, 21:50
Live and learn, buy a BFG/EVGA... lifetime warranty no matter what you do to it.

Just remember to register the card within 30days of purchase.

tet5uo
28th Aug 2011, 21:51
Furmark is a good benchmark to test whether your video card needs some attention, or your fan speeds need tweaking. It puts a very unrealistic load on the cards. But beware, if you aren't monitoring the temps while running it and your card is at risk of overheating you could damage it. Just be on hand to stop the stress test if the temps get high.

EDIT just to be clear, software should not be damaging hardware , unless there is something wrong with the hardware itself.

Furmark is the exception. With an overclocked card with voltage unlocked this app completely unrealistically loads the card up and has actually damaged cards with extended runs. It's the ultimate synthetic torure-test, I don't even run it on my watercooled cards lest I shorten the lifespan of my VREG chips

failgo
28th Aug 2011, 22:06
Yeah, I am just saying it is a good app to see how far you can push the card. And to tweak the card to a point where a game won't cause overheating, as a game wouldn't push it that hard. However, if furmark can push the hardware to a damage point, then there is a possibility, albeit unlikely, a game could also push it that hard. So it is a good way to make sure.

Having said all that, with the overclocks on my cards, if I ran furmark for a while I probably would burn them out too.

I wouldn't recommend anyone use it for a long period of time or unattended for certain. Also be aware of what the max temp your cards can handle, so you know to kill the app well before that.

tZer
28th Aug 2011, 22:09
I "accidently" destroyed my computer while thinking about Deus Ex, therefore obviously Eidos is to blame. Who am I supposed to send my address so they can send me a new one?

Thrax
28th Aug 2011, 22:26
At what point did I say it was the games fault, if you read my earlier post I said I was not there developers fault

and Yes GPUs can handle 100% but its not a good idea because it will burn it out ALOT faster and his GPU was past warranty.

GPUs are designed to run at 100% load in games. It's wasted performance if they aren't. Your post makes no sense.

10hellfire01
28th Aug 2011, 22:58
Live and learn, buy a BFG/EVGA... lifetime warranty no matter what you do to it.

Just remember to register the card within 30days of purchase.

BFG stopped making cards bro...they only make PSUs. God knows why.

motsm
28th Aug 2011, 23:14
GPUs are designed to run at 100% load in games. It's wasted performance if they aren't. Your post makes no sense.It's not that simple due to what are essentially internal bottlenecks. All 100% loads are not created equal, easily seen by running BurnTest on your CPU, or FurMark on your GPU; the temps will absolutely skyrocket beyond anything you've seen under "100% Usage" before.

Anazzar
29th Aug 2011, 00:05
Way to keep on adding fail to the fail thread ;-)

1. The very definition of "good cooling" is to provide enough cooling so that the hardware can operate reliably at its maximum workload. If your graphics card overheats, you do not have good cooling, and it did matter that you didn't.

2. "Uncapped fps" is not some sort of user error where we're all supposed to be diligently capping our fps to prevent this overheating. The work load of the card is determined by how much work its doing per frame, and by how many frames per second. You could just as easily push an underpowered card to its max workload by setting higher resolution and higher settings than it can support, even though it would produce low fps.

(That said, you're right that its good advice to not needlessly generate more frames than you can use -- even in a well-cooled system you're ultimately just wasting energy and probably adding more noise and heat to your environment than you wanted.)

I fail to see the fail :p

Maybe my term of uncapped fps is incorrect but you contradicted yourself further down when mentioning furmark, which stress tests GPUs at 100% (how can you go beyond 100%).

In my example I was explaining planetside was rendering and refreshing the game hitting over 300 fps as fast as it could causing it to go to furmark levels of heat, which is bad, this issue was solved by turning vsync on.

lukeman3000
29th Aug 2011, 00:26
Not to be a jerk, but if DX:HR killed your gpu, it's probably time for a new one anyways! DX:HR is probably one of the least-taxing games that has come out this year in its genre (in my experience anyways).

fresh fish 101
29th Aug 2011, 02:35
Not to be a jerk, but if DX:HR killed your gpu, it's probably time for a new one anyways! DX:HR is probably one of the least-taxing games that has come out this year in its genre (in my experience anyways).

thats the thing, especially on PC, everyone's experience is different b/c there are infinite number of system configs and setups so not everyone will have a perfect, smooth gameplay experience. that said, i still dont believe this game is the cause of a hardware malfunction or overheat.

Sodel
29th Aug 2011, 03:11
Well games can cause GPU and CPU to overheat but not under normal circumstances.

1) normally hardware has sensors for temperature which will shut down before it overheats
2) hardware is designed to run at 100% otherwise hardware would be pointless and it cant work more than 100% escept when you overcloak it

What was probably your problem just a tip:
Since you just told us your warranty has already expired i wonder when was the last time you cleaned your fans (both on the cards/CPU and on your casing)?

Also combined with the high temperatures right now a problem with dust in your computer gets even worse.

tet5uo
29th Aug 2011, 04:06
I do sympathize though, sucks to have something die in one's PC, especially right after warranty is up.

There are quite a few really decent budget cards out right now that can play this game and others very well though, so you could be up and running with a shiny new dx11 card.

numinous
29th Aug 2011, 05:53
To be fair I wouldn't at all be surprised if this game was actually responsible for killing GPUs.

Daedatheus
29th Aug 2011, 07:04

I bought a BFG GTX 295 a while back, awesome purchase that's still going strong. DXHR isn't too graphically intensive compared to some other new games so I had it running maxed out 1080p full AA and AF running buttery smooth.

Of course, BFG went out of business since then, and is no longer honouring their warranties. As soon as this card dies, it's off to the shop for a new one.

Moral of the story is, they're great cards and you can still find them in some places, but don't buy BFG anymore.

ontelo
29th Aug 2011, 08:20
To be fair I wouldn't at all be surprised if this game was actually responsible for killing GPUs.

Be fair and don't blame software that doesn't touch GPU voltage/fan/OC settings.

Blame user fail (cooling) or card manufacture who supplied inadequate cooling / low quality components.

LordWeasel
29th Aug 2011, 17:37
DX:HR actually caused my gtx480 to spin up as well the other day. Never actually heard it spin up like that before, so I took it as as "It's cleaning time again!", and rebuilt and cleaned my rig.

It was a VERY hot day though, and I had idle temps around 70C on the GPU.

Now, with a clean case and a more average room temperature, it's a nice 48C.
(CPU: Q9550@3.2Ghz, 30C idle as a comparison)

PS: Actually burned my fingers on a gtx295 while stress testing at work once, these cards are HOT :p

Spaxspore
29th Aug 2011, 18:13
I bought a BFG GTX 295 a while back, awesome purchase that's still going strong. DXHR isn't too graphically intensive compared to some other new games so I had it running maxed out 1080p full AA and AF running buttery smooth.

Of course, BFG went out of business since then, and is no longer honouring their warranties. As soon as this card dies, it's off to the shop for a new one.

Moral of the story is, they're great cards and you can still find them in some places, but don't buy BFG anymore.

no wonder i didnt see any BFG's when I was looking for a new video card.

I picked up a evga..

xeno27
29th Aug 2011, 21:55
Hi guys. Sorry in advance for the bad english.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM: MY GRAPHIC CARD DIED.

I'm not a noob in pc hardware and I'm gonna explain you what'was happened to me.

I have (had :-( ) a geforce 9800 GT, never overclocked mounted in a AMD athlon single-core based system never overclocked too. The card was 4 years old and was in perfect conditions.

I've never had a hardware failure due to the graphic card (distroted images, crashes and other tipical symptoms of graphical failure) even with more heavy, demanding games.

First (and last) failure that I had was whit DEHR. Graphic card failed three times (I rebooted each time): tipical distorted images etc.
Last time the card died. The game was running pretty smooth (no anti-alias, no SSAO, other option at normal, 1920x1080) until the bad thing comes. All using direct x 9.

NOW THE FUNNY THING: the game was a pirate-cracked copy. Before starting, I disabled the antivirus (it alerted me for a "key-logger warning", pretty usual with cracks).

I think i'm gonna buy another GC and a original copy :-)

bye

EDIT: I scanned my pc and no viruses have been found.

brucek2
30th Aug 2011, 00:24
Yes, it is time for a new graphics card. You might consider upgrading that single core Athlon as well.

Yes, you should definitely buy a legit copy of the game, so they will keep making more of them.

But no, neither the game nor the fact that it was a pirated version are responsible for breaking your video card.

I wish this thread would die. I know most people here are technical and will not be misled. But I have family members who see this kind of subject line and will spend the next 4 years asking me each time if its safe to play game X with settings Y because they heard that doing it wrong can break their video card. And as long as your system is assembled and specced correctly in the first place, that's just not how it works.

Ogallivan
1st Sep 2011, 18:26
Op ive got the same problem
gtx 285 -280.26 can run bfbc2 on max and not brake 80 , play deus ex hr for 5 minutes temp hit 100 degrees with vsync on or off. no stutters un till 103 degrees ... It maybe my cooling but every other game I run is fine. dont think its all as simple as poor air flow:confused:

Remnant
1st Sep 2011, 23:48
If its anyone's "fault" as to why your card died, it would be nVidia's. With properly implemented power management on these chips you can remove the heatsink under full load without killing it, so long as the power management hardware can react quick enough (ask AMD about the Athlon XP days). AFAIK, nVidia is using a driver based software method to watch over the temps on their cards, but since theres no dedicated control hardware it simply cant make adjustments fast enough to stop the chip from burning out under some circumstances.

"Oh but other games run fine" - which have been out longer than DX, giving nVidia time to tune the drivers for them. Give it some time, after a couple more patches and driver updates things should stabilize a bit.

Sodel
3rd Sep 2011, 17:52
If its anyone's "fault" as to why your card died, it would be nVidia's.

Its not a graphic-card-companies fault when users wont remove dust from time to time. I have lots of friends that seem to have no clue about computers. So there are lots of ppl having theyr pc for years doing nothing. When you then force your computer to do something "heavy" it will just fail because dust will prevent cooling.

Just read about the guy with the pirated copy its so damn obvious that he has no clue at all. Sometimes i wonder if its a good or a bad thing that anyone can use a computer these days without actually knowing anything about it as long as he is lucky enough not to run into any problem.