PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering FIX!

grimeleven
28th Aug 2011, 18:02
Wow... OMG guys i've nailed it, rename dxhr.exe to conviction_game.exe YES! problem solved no more stuttering at last!! time to play.

I somehow knew it was related to Splinter Cell Conviction since users reported the same exact bug with the game and both use the same game engine, well almost, dxhr uses a modified Crystal Dynamics engine. Now we need an updated profile for dxhr that has whatever they did with SCC.

ATI Catalyst™ 10.4aPreview features:
The ATI Catalyst 10.4aPreview provides resolution for the following issue:
Splinter Cell Conviction - Resolves stability issues in the game when
using a Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP based system with an:
ATI Radeon HD 3xxx Series of productsSplinter Cell Conviction -
Resolves performance stuttering issues when using a Windows 7 / Windows Vista /
Windows XP based system with an:ATI Radeon HD 2xxx Series of products
ATI Radeon HD 3xxx Series of products, ATI Radeon HD 4xxx Series of products
ATI Radeon HD 5xxx Series of products

For Nvidia users i don't know, but can't hurt to try if their profile for conviction is fixed too.

cyborg34572
28th Aug 2011, 18:11
i cant even get the game to run trying this , steam keeps saying "game not available, please try again another time". damn

Ashkandi
28th Aug 2011, 18:14
Looks like it works for me, it stutters sometimes a bit but much better. :thumb:

blacklabel67k
28th Aug 2011, 18:50
Well I did a quick run around in some areas where I had bad stutter, and it's been reduced from what I can tell!

I'll continue to play and update on how it's going. It doesnt totally fix it, but it goes from stuttering, to jitters instead. To bad a tropical storm is about to hit my area any hour now and my power will probably go out. It's already gone out a few times.

TROOPER181st
28th Aug 2011, 18:57
so where and how do i rename it?? i dont have a shortcut on my desktop just the Steam icon from where i start the game..
or do i must make a shortcut to the desktop and rename it?

jaywalker2309
28th Aug 2011, 19:01
So renaming the exe makes your drivers assume some `automatic` settings via the drivers, due to profiles yeh?

grimeleven
28th Aug 2011, 19:13
I got the idea since players including me also used this kind of "fix" for Crysis2.. Crysis2.exe renamed to bioshock.exe fixed flickering issues for XFire etc.

NVM RadeonPro, profile not working

Heinosity
28th Aug 2011, 19:16
Nice work, unfortunately this solution will not work for steam users. Anytime you try to rename an .exe file with a steam game you will always get "game not available".

TROOPER181st
28th Aug 2011, 19:17
I got the idea since players including me also used this kind of "fix" for Crysis2.. Crysis2.exe renamed to bioshock.exe fixed flickering issues for XFire etc.

For steam
You can also use RadeonPro http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Downloads/ to make DXHR use the conviction driver profile.

RadeonPro ??? isnt that meant for Crossfire setups ?
and when i rename the dxhr.exe to the conviction_game.exe in the steam folder it gives me the following message :
"game not available, please try again another time" am i doing something wrong ?
Strangely i got a retail copy , but when i installed it it automatically made it an Steam installation..

Fursnake
28th Aug 2011, 19:27

For steam
You can also use RadeonPro http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Downloads/ to make DXHR use the conviction driver profile.

Example config http://img121.imageshack.us/i/radeonpro.jpg

I have a 5970 and I use ReadeoPro myself, but I don't see any profile listings for SCC to set it to in order to try this, what am I missing here?

Fursnake
28th Aug 2011, 19:28
RadeonPro ??? isnt that meant for Crossfire setups ?
and when i rename the dxhr.exe to the conviction_game.exe in the steam folder it gives me the following message :
"game not available, please try again another time" am i doing something wrong ?
Strangely i got a retail copy , but when i installed it it automatically made it an Steam installation..

No, RadeonPro is not just for Crossfire setups, but it is just for AMD/ATI cards.

grimeleven
28th Aug 2011, 19:32
Sorry NVM RadeonPro, profile not working, too bad for steam users :(

Edit: Steam users try this

Make a shortcut of the renamed "conviction_game.exe", right-click on it and go to Properties, and put in the box Target, "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 28050

Or How to Change an EXE Name in Steam (http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8216450_change-exe-name-steam.html)

@Trooper It's located in X:\games\steam\steamapps\common\deus ex - human revolution\dxhr.exe

Anazzar
28th Aug 2011, 19:46
Yeah cant use this solution for steam versions of the game sadly, also getting crossfire flickering so I had to turn that off too, if anyone has the conviction profile for radeon pro or knows where to find it please link it.

tet5uo
28th Aug 2011, 19:57
It's funny how many "fixes" people seem to find.

It reminds me of the black ops forums after that stuttery game launch. People were going so far as to install freakin windows XP while sacrificing a goat and rubbing a rabbit's foot.

Fursnake
28th Aug 2011, 20:14
I can't figure out why yet, but running RadeonPro makes the game run like crap for me.

TROOPER181st
28th Aug 2011, 20:14
It's funny how many "fixes" people seem to find.

It reminds me of the black ops forums after that stuttery game launch. People were going so far as to install freakin windows XP while sacrificing a goat and rubbing a rabbit's foot.

hahahahaha laughed at the last line..! Good one!! haha

Well anyways i am following this issue here on the boards for a couple of days almost non-stop, spending here more time than in the game haha
But anyways this fix is almost a breakthrough for some

tet5uo
28th Aug 2011, 20:25
Oh, I'm sure I'll end up trying this now anyhow :)

...now where's my rabbit...

cooper56
28th Aug 2011, 21:22
I hope they patch game for steam users with this fix or better on soon i hate the random fps drops.

brucek2
28th Aug 2011, 21:37
Is the belief that there's a specific setting in the SCC profile that makes the game run better? And if so could that setting be identified and then just applied directly to the game?

Or is it the driver itself that triggers "invisible" game-specific logic within the driver, and there's no way to trigger this specific part of the driver short of matching the file name exactly? (Do the video card companies do this? I have no information one way or the other.)

In any event I take it there must be something else going on that's affecting the nvidia users?

david75sk
29th Aug 2011, 05:39
as stated before it is not working if you have legit game.

I think is just another placebo.

numinous
29th Aug 2011, 05:52
This is a joke right? You're all in on it.

jeremygrim
29th Aug 2011, 07:48
How could this possibly work? I'm assuming you'd need to have conviction installed for it to work?

grimeleven
29th Aug 2011, 13:01
Lol... m'kay maybe i should have explained that renaming the exe is not some fake stuff, a joke or anything. All it does it loading a game while using the application profile of SCC, it has nothing to do with the conviction game itself, it just "fool" the driver (ATI CAP) to apply the settings made for SCC while playing Deus Ex.

All i know is that i played 5 hours with zero stuttering, just google ati renaming exe, fixes issues in lot of games.

Anti Matter
29th Aug 2011, 13:59
Doesn't work for me.

Anazzar
29th Aug 2011, 15:45
Finally got this working for steam by making a hard link to the conviction_game.exe named dxhr.exe

Still stuttering for me so OP must of been having a different issue

Also tried creating a new user and disabling/enabling the paging file, still stuttering at 80 fps :/

Fursnake
29th Aug 2011, 17:12
Nothing I tried in this thread works for me, I keep getting "the game is unavailable at this time. please try again later" error.

Panzersmith
29th Aug 2011, 22:39
Nothing I tried in this thread works for me, I keep getting "the game is unavailable at this time. please try again later" error.

That's because they "forgot" to mention this only works with the pirated version. :whistle:

grimeleven
30th Aug 2011, 09:50
Huh? running the game without steam doesn't mean it's pirated, i've bought my copy and made it run without the steam crap, i always uninstall it after i get a game.

Another Method:How to rename game .exe in steam (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=208954)

Still running like a charm and yes my problem was like all the other players report, stutter in new areas and moving camera around, well thing of the past now.

What's even funnier, is people coming on the forum to accuse the game company "unfinished" "turd" yet this problem is due to the video driver, not the game. Why did i even bother trying to help ungrateful elitist pc users.

@Anazzar idk how you made the link but if the "exe" launched is dxhr.exe then it will have no effect, the driver won't load the scc settings.

cyborg34572
30th Aug 2011, 09:51
Huh? running the game without steam doesn't mean it's pirated, i've bought my copy and made it run without the steam crap, i always uninstall it after i get a game.

Another Method:How to rename game .exe in steam (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=208954)

Still running like a charm and yes my problem was like all the other players report, stutter in new areas and moving camera around, well thing of the past now.

What's even funnier than my attempt to fix my problem is people coming on the forum to accuse the game company "unfinished" "turd" yet this problem is due to the video driver, not the game.

@Anazzar idk how you made the link but if the "exe" launched is dxhr.exe then it will have no effect, the driver won't load the scc settings.

And how exactly did you make it a non steam game?, or not use steam at all.

jaywalker2309
30th Aug 2011, 09:54
grimeleven - the game is intrinsically linked to steam, if people are bypassing steam to make it work then you are in breach of terms and conditions. Steam offer the ability to play `offline` which is the official way of playing it without being online.

odman
30th Aug 2011, 10:00
I just made a copy of the original exe-file and renamed the copy as said by op. Then ran the game directly from the .exe. It did launch the game and worked with steam.

I still get crashes though.

kall
30th Aug 2011, 14:02
grimeleven - the game is intrinsically linked to steam, if people are bypassing steam to make it work then you are in breach of terms and conditions. Steam offer the ability to play `offline` which is the official way of playing it without being online.

Yes, but look at it from the customer’s perspective. We feel that the developers are in breach of our contract. We buy something and we expect it to work. If you purchased a car and let’s say it stutters, if the manufacturer can’t fix the problem then one would probably try to fix it their self, or just return it. But we can’t return games for the most part so people are going do what they have to do to get it to meet their expectations. As I read through these posts, the trend from Eidos reps seems to be more of reprimanding customers for possible “breach of contract” or “is it a legit copy” and then the flippant comments regarding game bugs. I’m certainly not impressed with the attitudes from the reps towards paying customers.

Tommando
30th Aug 2011, 15:52
Well, I have to say, unlike everything else I've tried in the past week, this seem to have an actual impact. I still don't get the constant 60 fps I think I should be able to, and there are still a few moments after a loading screen where the framerate can be pretty bad, but after that it's much smoother than I've seen previously. The massive drops from 60-30(or lower)fps are gone.The framerate almost always stays between 50-60 and doesn't drop below the 40s. Overall it's much more tolerable(so far).

Pending a patch from the developer or a driver/profile update from AMD I guess I'll be doing this. I may be able to get back to enjoying the game now. Thanks grimeleven.

Fursnake
30th Aug 2011, 18:36
I just made a copy of the original exe-file and renamed the copy as said by op. Then ran the game directly from the .exe. It did launch the game and worked with steam.

I still get crashes though.

This worked for me, thanks. Not getting any crashing myself, but I wasn't getting any before this.

Joey Ravn
30th Aug 2011, 18:58
Another Method:[URL=" to rename game .exe in steam[/URL]

Does this method disable Steam Achievements?