PDA

View Full Version : Epilepsy and I (TPS>FPS)

Tbirch42
28th Aug 2011, 12:01
Any chance for a 3rd person mode either through a mod or by cheats in Deus Ex? Pretty please with a sugary topping and some even more sugary sweets on top?

Why do you ask? And what's with the epilepsy?

And even if you didnt ask.. here's why. I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was a wee lad. I have not had normal seizures, but there are implications that my brains could have something along that effect. Generally it does not affect my normal life much, only my gaming. And based on some other comments I've read online, I am not the only one.

Even with Doom, and Wolfenstein 3D I could already see that something wasnt right, as with even short play time, I started feeling nauseated and dizzy, usually having to lie down for a few hours after only 15-30 minute gaming time.

Lately it has been getting worse. 5 minutes of playing Portal 1 and I'm out for the count. Even watching my friends play Call of Duty etc. for 5 mins and I can feel my head detaching from my body, saying "adios" and slamming the door behind it.

I used to think it was because of the way the player character was waving/shaking while moving.. but even with that disabled in some games, there's no use. I still get sick.

Funny thing is.. When I play Portal on TPS mode thanks to the cheats, no such problems.

Same with Fallout New Vegas. FPS mode, getting sick.. TPS mode, staying healthy.

I have already went and ordered the augmented version of DX:HR, cuz frag it.. I want to play the game, and I am planning on testing some seasickness remedies (mainly ginger pills, as those helped the Mythbusters) and also checking if there's anything that a doctor can prescribe for me. But if all these fail, I would sure love to be able to finish the game faster than by playing max 10 mins a day..

I know there are already augments in the game, that take it to the third person mode occasinally, just wondering if there's any chance getting that for the full game? Even if it doesnt work 100%, it would be good.

Portal for example, I have to re-enable it after every time it loads a level. It has some camera problems, like when I travel in the elevator it kind of goes beyond it, and I need to re-enable the FPS mode sometimes to be able to find my way out. But atleast I can play the game! :)

aragorn256
28th Aug 2011, 12:51
I'd suggest you avoid the game. Causing serious problems to your health for a game is not worth it. Ever.
Also, don't try to remedy your situation with pills just for the sake of a game. If your brains tells you something is wrong, then trust it. It knows better.

Rainhands
28th Aug 2011, 13:25
I agree. It's simply not worth the risk playing a game that is likely to cause severe health problems for you. I know you are disappointed but there are many other games available that are safe.

It's just something you need to be mature about and deal with. In the same way I deal with not owning a console so I can't play Red Dead Redemption. I still tear up whenever I think about it. :(

Tbirch42
28th Aug 2011, 15:58
Thats just it.. there wouldn't be any medical issues if I could play it in third person mode. The only problem I could have is only from the point of view where the game is being played from.

I can't say for certain if there will be issues in FPS mode either, as there might be something in this game that differs from the rest I have played graphically.. From the looks of it, yes... but cant try that without the actual game.

Watching my friend playing Bioshock the effects took a while longer before it was too much for me for example.

And another reason I am going to try other methods to get myself to be able to play it, is because there's medicine for all kinds of problems humans have with their systems, and if there isnt something for this done yet, would be about time to find something. It has not been lethal, and I know my limits so I can stop well before it goes too bad, as I really dont feel like lying down on bed feeling hungover over any game. :P

alanschu
28th Aug 2011, 17:21
Is epilepsy related to motion sickness? Because you seem to be describing motion sickness-like symptoms, not epilepsy symptoms.

Tbirch42
28th Aug 2011, 17:39
I am not entirely sure whats causing it. I've always figured its due to my epilepsy diagnose, because I've never had any actual seizures. As a kid I just had to spend a week or two in a hospital every year between 1994-1996.. with some kind of plugs glued to my head to monitor my brainwaves 24/7.

So I've always figured that there's something wrong in my brains thats causing it.

And if it was due to motion sickness, shouldn't I be experiencing that elsewhere, not just while playing FPS games?

Like driving a car, motorcycle, on a boat.. anywhere else?

But if it was due to motion sickness, the ginger pills or some other travel sickness remedy might actually work in that case.

So thanks for that alanschu, no one else has ever thought of suggesting that. Damnit.. All the games I could have played! :P

mad825
28th Aug 2011, 17:57
So you are demanding for something that might not help?

If you have Epilepsy then you are bound to experience problems in the first place as the game content and the monitor that you are looking through is "flashing" or refreshing (refresh/frame rate) as the pixels need to be consistently redrawn so that the pictures can be displayed in fluid motion. It's a well known fact that Epilepsy and any LCD/Plasma/LED/CRT monitors will have an an effect to the people with that condition.

So yea, the best guess would be motion sickness.

phantomspiker
28th Aug 2011, 18:21
I am not entirely sure whats causing it. I've always figured its due to my epilepsy diagnose, because I've never had any actual seizures. As a kid I just had to spend a week or two in a hospital every year between 1994-1996.. with some kind of plugs glued to my head to monitor my brainwaves 24/7.

So I've always figured that there's something wrong in my brains thats causing it.

And if it was due to motion sickness, shouldn't I be experiencing that elsewhere, not just while playing FPS games?

Like driving a car, motorcycle, on a boat.. anywhere else?

But if it was due to motion sickness, the ginger pills or some other travel sickness remedy might actually work in that case.

So thanks for that alanschu, no one else has ever thought of suggesting that. Damnit.. All the games I could have played! :P

I get motion sickness from riding in the backseat of vehicles, but I don't have problems playing video games in first person.

I just don't see this game playing well in first person TBH, certain actions like picking up crates would look strange or going through vents could cause camera problems.

Daedatheus
28th Aug 2011, 18:41
It's just something you need to be mature about and deal with.

Oh COME ON. You're telling someone who can't play the game that everyone on this forum has been hyped to tears about that he should just "be mature"? Do you yourself have firsthand experience with epilepsy? I bet you take in loads of media, including games, and take it for granted every day that you're able to do so. I think DXHR is an awesome experience and I believe this guy should have the opportunity to have that experience somehow, and I know YOU wouldn't want to have people talk condescendingly to you about being mature (if you do indeed consider yourself so), just because you have a condition you didn't choose. "I never asked for this" :D

In any case - Tbirch42, if you have the PC version (I hope you do!), then go into the gameplay options and turn up the FOV. In a lot of past games, people have found they get motion sickness at low FOVs. The game defaults at 75, you should use 90 or higher. When HL2 came out years ago it was one of the first FPS's to default at 75, and lots of people got motion sickness. Luckily it could be changed via console, but DXHR is even better and has a changeable option. The less "zoomed in" it is, the more manageable. If you can handle TPS which is moved far back from the center of the player's motion, then like people are saying it might simply be motion sickness, worsened if you will by your epileptic conditions.

Rainhands
28th Aug 2011, 18:55
Oh COME ON. You're telling someone who can't play the game that everyone on this forum has been hyped to tears about that he should just "be mature"?

If you must quote me then please keep it within context. Right after I told him to be mature I mentioned that I have to deal with not playing a game that had triple the hype Deus Ex has. I am not trying to be condescending. I am looking out for him. In the same way a diabetic person would not eat a chocolate cake and wash it down with coke, an epilepsy sufferer should refrain from playing games that causes serious health issues. There are a lot of other good games that he can play if this one is too dangerous.

Tbirch42
28th Aug 2011, 19:12
In any case - Tbirch42, if you have the PC version (I hope you do!), then go into the gameplay options and turn up the FOV. In a lot of past games, people have found they get motion sickness at low FOVs. The game defaults at 75, you should use 90 or higher. When HL2 came out years ago it was one of the first FPS's to default at 75, and lots of people got motion sickness. Luckily it could be changed via console, but DXHR is even better and has a changeable option. The less "zoomed in" it is, the more manageable. If you can handle TPS which is moved far back from the center of the player's motion, then like people are saying it might simply be motion sickness, worsened if you will by your epileptic conditions.

PC version it is. I'll be giving that a try when it arrives. Thanks Daedatheus.

And Rainhands about that maturity comment, care to specify?

And to that one guy saying that I am demanding it? No.. Not really. Just asking if it was possible, if not, nothing I can do about is there? Just figured there might be a backdoor/tweak for something like that, like in Portal. For the dev team to use atleast. :)

And yes, like in Portal, TPS wouldnt always work in game designed for FPS, that is a given.. but... you can always go to FPS mode in situations like that, play through that section, and return to TPS mode. Atleast that works in Portal through the console or by making your own quick keys for changing the view mode.

Have to do some extra work for it, but hey.. Before I had played Portal for 5 mins, now i've played it for two hours. And after I've finished the game, I'll be buying Portal 2 because the same little tweaks work on it too.

Tbirch42
28th Aug 2011, 19:15
If you must quote me then please keep it within context. Right after I told him to be mature I mentioned that I have to deal with not playing a game that had triple the hype Deus Ex has. I am not trying to be condescending. I am looking out for him. In the same way a diabetic person would not eat a chocolate cake and wash it down with coke, an epilepsy sufferer should refrain from playing games that causes serious health issues. There are a lot of other good games that he can play if this one is too dangerous.

It's a bit different isnt it? You not being able to play because you dont own the console, and me not possibly being able to play because of the point of view used in the game? :)

You could always play the game, as long as you bought the console.. Me.. Well, will see. Either the motion sickness pills work, the setting change works or I'll eventually stumble into some type of TPS mode tweak/mod/cheat just like in Portal. :)

Just like Rolling Stones said in a song.. "Time is on my side, yes it is". Portal was released 2007, i wasnt able to play it until now. Even tho I found the code some months ago already.

Tbirch42
1st Sep 2011, 18:00
111 minutes played.. and so far everything is just fine.. Not feeling sick or anything. Yet, if I play Portal.. I do get sick again.

Strangest thing. But cant complain. I can enjoy the game for the full now without worries!

Daedatheus
1st Sep 2011, 19:36
Strangest thing. But cant complain. I can enjoy the game for the full now without worries!

That is AWESOME news! You can now enjoy one of the best games in years. Have fun.