PDA

View Full Version : Things that weren't and could be in the game

Ludogator
28th Aug 2011, 10:48
I've just finished the game. It was great, I haven't played such a good game for a loooong time.
However there were some things I would like to see in the game, and it wasn't there.

First of all - lockpicking

It has been solved wisely - all doors are locked with a code. I like that idea, but some doors could be locked old style. It isn't something important though.

Second thing - interactivity

In the first game, almost every box could be picked up and placed somewhere else, plants, other stuff (there was a lot of it). Here, there are a lot of those things, but some crates and boxes, even if they are quite small, are impossible to move or pick up.

Third thing - weapons

Lack od meelee weapons is something horrible. there is a thug gun, which can be considered as a riot prod, but lack of knives, no baton, or a crowbar is something I couldn't stand.
I was personally dissapointed about a crossbow also. I really liked it in the first game, it was small, could handle transqualizer darts, regular darts and those giving the light. Here, the crossbow is available somewhere in the middle of the game (I got it first in the mission, where I had to rescue Sarif's scientists), it can handle just simple arrows, leaving trans darts for another weapon which took even more place in the inventory. Old style crossbow would be a lot better and actually give some fun of using it.

another one - bots

I can understand lack of karkians and greasels (actually I didn't like them in the first game, I felt that they ruin the mood of the game), but there were just two types of robots (small and large one). Original DX bots were more reliable, there were more types of them (light, medium and heavy + small and large spider bot), not to mention medical and maintanance bots.

the last one I think - lack of paths

HR offers 4 ways of solving problems - stealth, social, shooting and hacking. The thing is, all of them were involved in the first game, but they were not a solution, just a way to solve a problem. For example the mission where the player had to turn of the generator in NY. There were a few ways to reach the place - booby trapped sewers, roofs with snipers and the path on the ground level you could talk to people, but it didn't took a possibility to take the path you want from you, it was a help, not solution. I felt that this freedom was taken away from me in the new game.

Comparing those two games, I have to say that the first one still is the best in the series.

Daisah
28th Aug 2011, 11:03
Agreed. DX:1 is still the better game. I was very pissed at the fact I couldn't move most things around, which was is something I remember very well from the first one.

The lack of melee is appaling, and to make it worse we drain a whole energy bar for a takedown!

How about just plain old destroying doors? Nope, now I need a code -.-

Ludogator
28th Aug 2011, 11:34
Heh, I forgot about that. Sometimes I was getting the GEP gun just to destroy some doors and save my lockpicks :]

Sky_walker
28th Aug 2011, 11:36
First of all - lockpicking
I'm bored of it thanks to authors of Oblivion. ;) Besides that: it wouldn't fit the style of game.

Second thing - interactivity
Third thing - weapons
Both are simplifications for consoles. Less data to take care of, easier navigation (no need to aim precisely for one pickable object between 50), easier control & understanding (in case of multi-ammo weapons).
Yes, there are console games that incorporate all of these (said Oblivion being one), but most do not and it's a general trend in the industry.

another one - bots
In general there's a big lack of opponents variety, sadly.
It doesn't apply for robots only, but human opponents too. They also seem to lack tactics and very very easily give up.

the last one I think - lack of paths
Hm... IMO it's not that bad. Greater issue is maps size which limits a lot of activities or possible solutions (and: I want to use train to move between districts!), though they seem to be designed as good as it gets for their small size.

Ludogator
28th Aug 2011, 12:16
Both are simplifications for consoles. Less data to take care of, easier navigation (no need to aim precisely for one pickable object between 50), easier control & understanding (in case of multi-ammo weapons).
Yes, there are console games that incorporate all of these (said Oblivion being one), but most do not and it's a general trend in the industry.

I can understand that with interactivity, but for weapons it is just a huge let down. I can live with just (console style) 4 augs manually turned on, but no meelee weapons and complicating crossbow thing (crossbow, trans gun instead of just crossbow with different types of darts) is bad for me.

BTW I forgot about one thing - hacking. It is good overall, but even if I want to hack something discretly, the guy stands up to hack. It is horrible, makes the guy visible and easy to kill. I was hacking or lockpicking a lot in the first game while crouching somewhere behind crates, or almost under the desk.

Hehe, I'm complaining a lot, and I forgot to mention that he new DX is still an awesome game after years of nothing interesting.

Evanovic
28th Aug 2011, 12:20
OP has got it all right, nevertheless the game as it is is still brilliant. If they do any follow-up sequels to this I want to see that increased level of interactivity brought in (Lockpicking, melee weapons and being able to move anything), that and a slight rethink of Boss fights. Otherwise they should stick with this style of development because its excellent!

Evan

Bradrakh
28th Aug 2011, 12:57
Agreed. DX:1 is still the better game. I was very pissed at the fact I couldn't move most things around, which was is something I remember very well from the first one.

The lack of melee is appaling, and to make it worse we drain a whole energy bar for a takedown!

How about just plain old destroying doors? Nope, now I need a code -.-
Upgrade your strength aug. And throw refrigerators/vending machines at a door. It'll break after a few hits. After failing this one hacking game multiple times, I just got so angry I threw stuff at the door; man, I was surprised.

wheresmyskulgun
28th Aug 2011, 13:14
You can use explosives or thrown objects (or just lots of bullets) to destroy a door.

CarpeNukemXVIII
28th Aug 2011, 13:30
Lockpicking: Can't say I miss this. Every door being locked with a code surely fits the game more, and besides, most doors can be broken as well.

Interactivity: I will admit I was surprised by the few ammount of items you can pick up and move, but it makes exploration a little easier for some I guess. Still, I wish objects would at least react to you being there, so things should move if you bump into them, or shoot them.

Melee weapons: This was indeed an odd thing to leave out considering the first game had so many, but I really didn't miss them by the end of the game, because of the take downs and energy upgrades.

Bots: Like someone said, the game would benefit from having more enemies in general, not even just bots. There are very few bots though, and wish there was more to fight, and at least one that could help you by recovering your energy or something.

Paths: Completely disagree. Went through the game twice and had two completely different experiences. The game offers plenty of freedom I think, and don't see the first one really being better in this regard(and I finished it a few times).

I love the first game as much, if not more, than the next guy(I even love IW), but I have to say HR is my new favorite game this generation, and the best in the series. The game has a super sexy art style, far better story and characters, much improved controls and basic gameplay features. It was over all betterthan the first, and I'm not going to let nostalgia change that.

LAST1
28th Aug 2011, 15:33
Please add Samurai swords in next iteration of Deus Ex. It would make melee a lot more fun.

Ludogator
28th Aug 2011, 22:02
Please add Samurai swords in next iteration of Deus Ex. It would make melee a lot more fun.

Postal-style slicing :]

but why should we have any meelee weapon, when they can't open any supply crates (I miss them also)?

mrfoxx
28th Aug 2011, 22:48
How about simple vaulting over railings and grabing on to ledges and pulling yourself up. There are so many times where i drop down off a jump i just barely miss and wonder why i cant just pull myself up. Hell call of duty has it.

StuartM
30th Aug 2011, 16:01
The thing I missed most was a some big sprawling maps with lots of space and visibility like Liberty Island, a sniper's dream. Some of the levels were nice and big but fragmented, there was no big outdoor map that I can remember.