PDA

View Full Version : Silencers: useful or useless?

Cerebelum
28th Aug 2011, 10:11
IMO its the latter. I wanted to play through DX:HR a bit James Bond like. Not full stealth-o-rama or full on Rambo CoD. So as soon as I found one I bought a silencer for my pistol. Now even though, with a quick double tap to the head, enemies go down faster and quieter than a stealth takedown, I may as well be wandering round with a big neon arrow over my head and a 10kW sound system blasting out Ride of the Valkyries as the enemy spot me from miles away and home in like pigeons hungry for lunch. So, anyone getting their silencers to 'work', and, please, no discussion of IRL dB levels of modern day silencers etc. and how they don't really make guns totally silent, we are talking a SciFi GAME here :D

Piflik
28th Aug 2011, 10:17
Well...shoot people, when their friends aren't looking your way...or cloak...I am shooting guys next to their friends and all they have to say is 'where is that corpse coming from?'...

Mizkreant
28th Aug 2011, 10:19
This may be a stupid question, but: did they see the guy do down? That could be it. Also, if he's facing you and gets alerted before he dies, all the enemies will magically know where you are.

Daedatheus
28th Aug 2011, 10:24
So, anyone getting their silencers to 'work', and, please, no discussion of IRL dB levels of modern day silencers etc. and how they don't really make guns totally silent, we are talking a SciFi GAME here :D

I don't get this. Silencers were incredibly useful for me. You have to make sure that the enemy you're taking down hasn't spotted you and yelled loudly to other guards, and you have to make sure that when you take someone down that no one else spots them falling to the ground from getting shot in the head.

If you don't get spotted and the guard is out of the line of sight of other guards, then you'll be FINE. If you used a non-silenced weapon under those conditions, you'd get noticed regardless. Silencers are very effective and useful in this game.

NKD
28th Aug 2011, 10:33
I love to use a silenced weapon, even doing non-lethal, to draw enemies out of position. If you shoot a wall nearby, they'll go check the bullet impact sound, not the sound of your gun.

Cerebelum
28th Aug 2011, 10:42
Mayhaps I just need to work on my shooting style :D Still, gives me a good excuse to play more DX hehe

Fox89
28th Aug 2011, 11:11
Also, whilst silenced weapons do massively reduce the noise from a weapon, it doesn't completely eliminate it. SO if you fire within, say, ten feet of another guard, he will hear that shot and come to investigate.

Dentrick
28th Aug 2011, 16:02
Without a silencer, they will converge on where the gunshot came from. With, you can make a pile of corpses as they mindlessly walk over to inspect their dead friend(s).

If they're alerted it's much easier for them to see you even if you're a long way off. As it's been said before, wait till they turn their back to pop another one.

Granted you can assassinate everyone even without a silencer, you just have to find somewhere else to hide as they approach your position.

thanos
28th Aug 2011, 16:43
thats odd,so far no one notices me useing a silenced weapon as long as the person i`m hitting isnt in their line of sight,and so far i have not had to do the standard doubletap on headshots either.

CarpeNukemXVIII
28th Aug 2011, 17:08
You're doing it wrong than buddy. Silencer works like a charm. I can clear entire rooms without ever being detected.

Arksun
29th Aug 2011, 12:51
Silencers working fine for me here. Also remember no silencer is completely silent, in fact in the real world the shot is still very loud, just not crazy loud.

Pick your spots, remember where you are, where they are and whats around them, are they in an open area, or a room which has the door shut. Doors being shut makes quite an impact on sound travelled too in this game.

Kynaeus
29th Aug 2011, 17:13
I think it's because you're shooting them twice. I kill anything by shooting it in the head, just find an armor-piercing upgrade for your pistol and you won't need to double tap anymore. As long as there is no one standing in eyeshot of the person I'm killing it seems to work pretty well

redial
29th Aug 2011, 17:17
silencer plus armor piercing is incredibly OP, and super fun! yay! now just give me a silenced sniper please

Sodel
29th Aug 2011, 17:37
The OP obviously failed at logics here. A silencer just makes your gunfire silent it wont stop your Enemies from seeing that someone is actully dying in front of them.

If you shoot with your silencer and the enemies arent looking at each other nothing will happen. So the problem obviously is not the silencer ;)