PDA

View Full Version : Now with HR out what would you like to see in a sequel to the original Deus Ex?

Pldgmygrievance
28th Aug 2011, 04:14
I havent finished the game yet, so please mark any spoilers appropriately.

I'm assuming the story of Human Revolution ends by setting up the events of the original Deus Ex. My question is if the next game Eidos Montreal made was a true sequel to the original Deus Ex, what kind of elements would you guys like to see? I'm talking both story and gameplay elements.

Me? I'd like them to pretend Invisible War never happened, and tell a story that begins after the end of Deus Ex. I want to see the fallout of the events of the first game. And honestly, I'd love to play as the character we all know and love, JC.

Rivvik
28th Aug 2011, 04:19
I'd like them to pretend Invisible War never happened

I like the way you think.

Ragequit
28th Aug 2011, 04:23
Idea - Let's all pretend Deus Ex:Invisible War is as the title says. INVISIBLE.

CarpeNukemXVIII
28th Aug 2011, 04:38
Sheesh, I'll never understand the hate IW got. Sure, it pales in comparison to DX1, but I still found it a lot more fun than most FPS games released around that same time/generation. I hope it does NOT get ignored. Anyways, there is enough of a gap between HR, DX and IW to make sequels that explain the events between each of those games. I'd like them to keep it fresh though, and not re-use the same characters often. The next game should be a game set after DX, but before IW, and I'd like the game to feature a female main character, just for variety(I know IW let you choose your gender, but I'm sure the male version was the default).

Ragequit
28th Aug 2011, 04:48
I'm sure you've noticed the lack of female presence in Deus Ex games, the only notable female characters being Megan Reed and Anna Navarre, which were not present for most of their respective game. Hell if you are feeling generous, you can even throw in Nicolette DuClare, Maggie Chow, Malik whatsherface and Joseph Manderley's secretary (can't remember her name), which just shows how important their roles were. The series is male dominated and for how the flow of the story works, I think it's fine the way it is, and another Male Lead should be obvious

Dentrick
28th Aug 2011, 04:51
I'd like to see enemies with more interesting augs than "Turn invisible."

Practically half the people you run into have mechanical arms or whatever. Can't they do something more interesting with them other than shoot at you? Throw stuff? Shoot fire/acid/electricity? Maybe take it off and put it down and it goes crawling towards you oh god never mind that's scary, forget it.

I hope that a sequel could be written in a way that's better than how Invisible War handled their writing (Which ending happened? ALL OF THEM. With magic, anything is possible). One option is to do a side story with a totally different protagonist that, at times, just brushes up against Adam's story. They could even work on something that parallels DX1. That would be neat.

Ragequit
28th Aug 2011, 04:53
They could even work on something that parallels DX1. That would be neat.

DX1:Paul Denton ??? lol

TheYouthCounselor
28th Aug 2011, 06:11
Maybe take it off and put it down and it goes crawling towards you oh god never mind that's scary, forget it.

I like the way you think. One idea I had in the past was to have Adam upgrade his hand aug with a camera, detach that and it becomes a spider-drone.

Daedatheus
28th Aug 2011, 07:10
Now that DXHR has rebooted the series, I want it to be treated as such.

Remake Deus Ex 1.

Black-Xero
28th Aug 2011, 08:46
Remake Deus Ex 1.

Definitely. I wouldn't mind though if they intend to do another prequel after HR but before Deus Ex.

Zorvan
28th Aug 2011, 09:18
Remake Deus Ex. DO NOT change anything gameplay wise, DO NOT change the story or characters ( dialogue clean-up is allowed as long as it's only to edit grammatical mistakes, etc. ). You can add the fancy-schmancy "takedowns" if you wish, but DO NOT remove melee weapons in exchange.

In other words, graphic upgrade and be done. That's it.

Remake Deus Ex: Invisible War. Do what you gotta do to make it more "Deus Ex-y". Flesh out the story, add more sidequests/characters, remove universal ammo, revamp the augs, etc.

Then get us started on the "future" of Deus Ex. I want to see Deus Ex still going strong long after the Final Fantasy series is just a fond memory ( which won't be too much longer ).

Random
28th Aug 2011, 09:26
WHY would you want a reboot of DX1?

If you want to play DX1, just GO PLAY IT. You don't need a bloody remake. It's the greatest game ever made, why would you want Eidos to rape it?

If your answer is 'because the cover system will update it for modern audiences' or something just don't even bother replying.

For God's sake.

Leave it alone.

Boradam
28th Aug 2011, 13:41

If you want to play DX1, just GO PLAY IT. You don't need a bloody remake. It's the greatest game ever made, why would you want Eidos to rape it?

If your answer is 'because the cover system will update it for modern audiences' or something just don't even bother replying.

For God's sake.

Leave it alone.

Thank god for people like you.

Call me a conservative, because I want to conserve this game in its full glory instead of some crappy remake with new graphics being the addition. Deus Ex IS OUT already, and if you want one with better graphics they have Deus Ex: The Conspiracy!

Charadesmith
28th Aug 2011, 14:00
Nope, i want a sequel to HR.

cartridge
28th Aug 2011, 14:09
Me? I'd like them to pretend Invisible War never happened, and tell a story that begins after the end of Deus Ex. I want to see the fallout of the events of the first game. And honestly, I'd love to play as the character we all know and love, JC.

Same here. Although, EM has done a wonderful job with AJ. I would like to play as character that is not JC.

Oddness
28th Aug 2011, 15:42
I'd like them to pretend this game never happened, and make a real Deus Ex game instead.

alien1280
28th Aug 2011, 16:23
I think the next game should be something between HR and DX...

Something which looks at the splintering of the illuminati, when Page eliminates the templar and whatnot... I'd like to see a game where we take on the role of an illiminati agent, so rather then find out about them we know from the beginning, start the game looking from the perspective of those in charge, thinking they know what is best then continuing on to see from another perspective, but not in the way JC or Alex (who doesn't really exist :rolleyes:) did in that they were unwittingly being manipulated by illuminati / mj12; from someone who knows who he works for...

Bloodwolf806
28th Aug 2011, 21:20
Leave DX and DX:IW alone.

The next DX game should be set in the 2030s or 2040s and bridge the gap between DX: HR and DX. Alternatively, the game could be set during the great collapse in between DX and DX:IW

Frag Maniac
28th Aug 2011, 21:56
As much as I preferred the original over IW, I don't think it would be a good idea to just pretend it never existed and make another sequel to the original. I'd prefer a side story to the original or have them squeeze in a sequel to this one before the time of the original if possible, maybe with a more advanced form of mechanical augs like morphing liquid metal or something.

Lirezh
28th Aug 2011, 22:21
Actually. Why do we need the same storyline ?
Forget about DX1 2 or 3 !

Most here did not love the universe (it's well done, no question) but we love the way DX1 and DX3 can be played.
The sort of deep immersive storyline with many twists and unexpected outcomes, yea the plot is always world-changing but even that is not a requirement to have fun.

They should keep the brand "Deus Ex" and make a complete new game in a new universe.
It shall be built on the same principles as Deus Ex.

By creating a new universe the writers would gain a lot more freedom and we'd have a complete new sandbox to dive into.

Just my thoughts.
I'd not mind a reboot of DX1 or pre/sequel if it's as well done as DX3.

In any case I see the "traditional" gaming industry stuck right now, maybe I'm wrong ?
They can't make a new game for PS3 or 360 because in 3-4+ years when it's done those consoles will be OLD and new ones are out. And right now it's likely not easy to develop for the next generation of consoles.
A pure PC game would be nice.. Think what DX3 could already be like if they'd have no restrictions from consoles!

Garrus.Vakarian
3rd Sep 2011, 21:12
Never played Invisible Wars, only Deus Ex and judging by the reviews it seems it was a good idea. I loved Human Revolution more than the original, mainly because of the emotional tie between Adam Jensen and Megan Reed, something which was absent in the original. In the entire game you always have her in your mind, which to me adds that much more realism.

I sincerely hope (and believe) that the sequel will be after Human Revolution but before the original Deus Ex. This will allow closure for Adam Jensen, Megan Reed, Faridah Malik, Frank Pritchard and the others.

P.S. I was delighted to see Dr. Tong back when he was in his early 20's in Tongue's Rescue. He was one of my favourite characters in the original game.

Messire
3rd Sep 2011, 21:45
Leave DX and DX:IW alone.

The next DX game should be set in the 2030s or 2040s and bridge the gap between DX: HR and DX. Alternatively, the game could be set during the great collapse in between DX and DX:IW

I'm with you. Herman Gunther, Anna Navarre, Manderley, Tong's whereabouts, Paul Denton... These peeps need content. Walton Simons, Lucius Debeers, Nicolette DuClare, Morgan Everett... Well all the clan, really!

I'm still one to think the "missing link" could be a new game in the franchise annoucement. And don't forget: They haven't told us everything about... what's becoming imminent right now. Hell I'm reaching Sunday in eleven minutes. I'm hanging in here, can't lauch the game, my hands are trembling... Rhââââââ!!! :nut:

You Eidos guys are lucky I have Game of Thrones to watch, otherwise I'd be nuking all over the place!
To all those reading me who haven't heard of it, check that series!! It's awesome!

lolwot
3rd Sep 2011, 21:51
Yes, in fact, I'd like Deus Ex to be remade. But in order to improve the game for modern audiences, the skill system needs to be removed, there should be far less augmentations, lockpicking and swimming need to be taken out, a cover system needs to be added, and JC Denton should die in just a couple shots even if you've fully upgraded ballistic protection.

jtr7
3rd Sep 2011, 21:54
Hahahahaha!

unbeatableDX
3rd Sep 2011, 21:56
Remake Deus Ex. DO NOT change anything gameplay wise, DO NOT change the story or characters ( dialogue clean-up is allowed as long as it's only to edit grammatical mistakes, etc. ). You can add the fancy-schmancy "takedowns" if you wish, but DO NOT remove melee weapons in exchange.

In other words, graphic upgrade and be done. That's it.

the gameplay updates should be aiming down the sights & sprinting, some augs made passive (strengnth enhancement passive, speed enhancement activated) aiming down the sights like DXHR- instead of weapon skills affecting accuracy they affect rate of fire. or rate of fire replaces reload speed as a weapon mod, and reload speed replaces weapon accuracy in the skills. also upgrading rifle skill reduces sniper rifle sway. (since accuracy stat is removed) these should be the only gameplay changes. or maybe DXHR hacking added, but you need a multitool & appropriate computer skill to initiate a hack. lockpicking uses a similar design.

also a couple more levels added maybe? with lots of enviromental hazards and swimming to make the two corresponding skills more useful. or simply lower the amount of skill points required to upgrade the two skills.

imported_BoB_
3rd Sep 2011, 21:57
Actually. Why do we need the same storyline ?
Forget about DX1 2 or 3 !

Most here did not love the universe (it's well done, no question) but we love the way DX1 and DX3 can be played.
The sort of deep immersive storyline with many twists and unexpected outcomes, yea the plot is always world-changing but even that is not a requirement to have fun.

They should keep the brand "Deus Ex" and make a complete new game in a new universe.
It shall be built on the same principles as Deus Ex.

By creating a new universe the writers would gain a lot more freedom and we'd have a complete new sandbox to dive into.

This.

Or yeah, a sequel to this one but the plotline is pretty much all here so it wouldn't be all that interesting I think.
Honestly, I would prefer to play the "Director's Cut" version of Human Revolution (Gunther is already more or less tied to this game because he is/was a Tyrant) and seeing a new franchise after this one.

Like it or not, Invisible War exists.

And of course:

For God's sake.

Leave it alone.

This.

DO NOT REMAKE THE FIRST ONE.

unbeatableDX
3rd Sep 2011, 22:03
Yes, in fact, I'd like Deus Ex to be remade. But in order to improve the game for modern audiences, the skill system needs to be removed, there should be far less augmentations, lockpicking and swimming need to be taken out, a cover system needs to be added, and JC Denton should die in just a couple shots even if you've fully upgraded ballistic protection.

the only thing some gamers didnt accept in deus ex, is that weapon skills and mods are needed to be able to be accurate- if this was solved using my solution in my previous post. DX1 would definately be recognised as the greatest game by all.....

Jordasm
3rd Sep 2011, 22:49
I don't really think there'd be much point in a remake of the original, unless they included stuff that was cut out (The white house, Moon base, the option to stay at Unatco) I can deal with the bad graphics of the original. I'd much rather IW was retconned, and we have something taking place around then.

ZakKa89
3rd Sep 2011, 22:53
If you want a remade deus ex 1 just use mods to make it look better. I see no reason why anybody who wants to replay it can't just REPLAY it. It's still damn good.

unbeatableDX
3rd Sep 2011, 22:55
If you want a remade deus ex 1 just use mods to make it look better. I see no reason why anybody who wants to replay it can't just REPLAY it. It's still damn good.

this is true. my fav game. but it would be godlike if remade properly.

imported_BoB_
3rd Sep 2011, 23:07
No.

auric
3rd Sep 2011, 23:35
IMHO, the next sequel should not be after DX:The Conspiracy
In fact, that part should be re-written as well. (not replaced)
Re-written to fit in with the nicely set out foundation by DX:Human Revolution based on the "draft" of DX:TC

A reboot if u may.

The next part should still be before JC's time, 25 yrs is a lot to cover.

Not to mentioned, what happened to Megan at the ending

As for the main character, Adam don't have to be the next main character. Like in DX:Invisible Wars, the only good thing about it, lol
is the main character changes while we meet our old self in the game.
Something like Final Fantasy games, different character but in DX's case, same universe ;)

Especially for games like this (involving Upgrades), its like beating a bush to keep seeing ur character bum down because its a new game & don't want u to be too powerful from the start.

A new perspective would be nice, maybe 1 of the survivors of the kill switch

Eventually meet AJ somewhere but still as awesome as ever, not like the JC in DX:IW :mad2:
Smooth talking the smooth talker that we are not the enemy or something ;)

Maybe in 1 scene he grab us "alive" through a wall, is how we meet him. :D

Than the 3rd part can be back to JC again. I can imagine a whole new version of his side of the story, some stay the same & some edited accordingly.

I'd imagine the plot will involve the Illuminati more & MJ12's rise.

For below: People with Concerns
The original is good, no doubt about it, but its for people who had not played it before & want to know what happened between DX:HR & whatever sequel to DX:TC

They won't play an old windows game just to find out.

They'll ask, why from a world filled with population, suddenly have people in domes with nanites everywhere or something.
:)

The point is, if u can convince people who's played DX:HR only & maybe its sequel also, than tell them to play JC to see what happens next, tell me their response.
More interesting, try to get them to buy the "ORIGINAL" not download, see if its worth it to them. :)

Remember only people who's played DX:HR & its coming sequel (whatever that is) & oblivious to DX:TC or DX:IW.

not saying its impossible, just love to see a rating on that outcome. :)

JC Denton's time
A small tiny view of how DX:TC could look like now :D
I'm basing it directly on the original, ofcourse changes should be made, but some things should stay almost the same.

Tutorial
In JC' last days in the academy, able to meet the guy who says we were in the same class together.
Few Mech-Aug people there, a teacher maybe, to show the difference between a Nano-aug & Mech one.
Like nano's can't break through wall, their hands don't have the support or tool for it, as its still flesh & bone.

Maybe a small contest, while ur classmates are voting for you.
like 1 guy from UNATCO who assume Nano-augs are bad ass people.

Liberty Island
Meet the brother, get to see more interactive motion now. ;)
See how ur brother respond to ur decisions.

Gunther Hermann
"Give me a pistol"
Watch an old mech in action, takedowns, shooting, etc.
Takedowns, if we don't give him anything, than he pick up his own pistol.

Show us that Mechs are still bad ass. Like the scene when dueling with him, when he says he can see us, we should be in range with our own x-ray vision (sonar?) to see him.
When activated, can see him looking at us, everywhere we move, unless we go out of range.

Terrorist Leader
"Don't shoot I surrender"
How to bum a guy who's already giving up, this'll be interesting. :D

UNATCO vs Paul
Let us stay with UNATCO. :D
have a choice to say. "Sorry bro, gonna have to take you in" or "get out of here while u still can" to meet later.
Maybe can still side with the NSF later a final point.

Tracer Tong
Would like to see JC, grab Tong when he says
"I was risking my life in there" when talking about the Illuminati, in anger tone choice.

JC: "Don't know if I care for your sense of humor."
Tong: "Humor?"
JC: "The Illuminati stuff. I was risking my life in there!!!"

Tong grabbing JC's hand to breath or to calm him
Tong: "No joke, Mr. Denton. They're quite real..."

Dragon Tooth Sword & other Melee weapons
This new game feature I had in mind, involves an extra slot for melee weapons.
So, takedowns (FPS / TPS view) will depend on what weapon we put on that slot.

So while holding a gun shooting, 1 click, we see a knife / sword / baton / prod / pepper spray whacking the next guy in range.
Yes, Pepper spray should be a take down move too. ;)
spray than punch. or slap like a girl, lol j/k

Most important change is the ending, make it so a future sequel is possible, & not end up like DX:IW which is so drastically "out there"

Well that's DX:IW's writer's problem actually. :D

LkMax
4th Sep 2011, 00:08
I hope we'll see the content missing in future DLCs or Expansion Packs (like Montreal streets and Upper Hangsha).

As for DX1, I actually would LOVE to see a proper Deus Ex remake, it could be called Deus Ex: The Conspiracy or whatever else just to differ from the original title. Some updated content & gameplay mechanics without removing the good mechanics of the classic (skills, for example), bigger city hubs with more side-missions (i.e. a bigger Hell's Kitchen) and of course, updated phisycs and graphics.

auric
4th Sep 2011, 00:33
I hope we'll see the content missing in future DLCs or Expansion Packs (like Montreal streets and Upper Hangsha).

As for DX1, I actually would LOVE to see a proper Deus Ex remake, it could be called Deus Ex: The Conspiracy or whatever else just to differ from the original title. Some updated content & gameplay mechanics without removing the good mechanics of the classic (skills, for example), bigger city hubs with more side-missions (i.e. a bigger Hell's Kitchen) and of course, updated phisycs and graphics.

Skills are nice in some parts not all.
I would like the level of hacking to be separate from augs, that way i can spend aug points on something else.

Weapon skills can be taken out, DX:HR's version is good enough. Makes sense for aug to steady ur hands. ;)

Item usage? dun need it, just give the items a reasonable duration will do.

Melee? well like my post says, add a new melee slot for melee weapons, when u activate takedown, he'll use that weapon selected.

Give 1 Easter for Baton, spank the butt, lol
only one time. The rest different action

I don't mind they bring back swimming, after all nano aug is lighter than mechs, makes sense he can swim while Adam can't.
just no need for skill. Sprinting option already covers that.

lock pick? lol
dunno what to do with that, maybe Detroit is more advance than hell's kitchen, france, etc.
ooh

nano tech is new, hence the nano key, that's probably why the key locking system is back. More secure than codes.
After all, news of Sarif HQ being "robbed" is all over the headlines, ;)

Gandalf-the-Fabulous
4th Sep 2011, 04:42
What would I like to see in a sequel to the original Deus Ex? Nothing, quite frankly in my opinion a sequel to the Original Deus Ex would be a bad idea, Invisible War should have never happened and not because it was as bad as some people make it out to be (I still enjoyed it even if it was nowhere near as good as the original) but because the 3 endings to the original Deus Ex had the potential to drastically change the world that the game is set in 3 completely different ways, sometimes some things are best left to the imagination and as a stand alone game the original Deus Ex was a masterpiece, it diddnt need any sequels or prequels and in my opinion is best viewed as a stand alone game rather than part of a series.

Rather than hoping for a sequel to the original game we should be hoping for a game that rivals its quality rather than one that continues the story, if they simply MUST create another game with the Deus Ex title then they should make a game that shares the same concepts but set it in a totally different universe, perhaps share a few names and story elements with the original like the Zelda games do but thats about it. Instead of trying to tie Human Revolution in as a prequel to the original set it in its own universe and have the story and the world evolve in a totally new direction.

Laputin Man
4th Sep 2011, 05:34
I havent finished the game yet, so please mark any spoilers appropriately.

I'm assuming the story of Human Revolution ends by setting up the events of the original Deus Ex. My question is if the next game Eidos Montreal made was a true sequel to the original Deus Ex, what kind of elements would you guys like to see? I'm talking both story and gameplay elements.

This... all of this.