PDA

View Full Version : At a crossroad *Spoilers*

Ragequit
28th Aug 2011, 03:36
As those who have completed the game have seen, it leaves 4 alternate ending choices, some of them more feasable than others, which is noted in another thread here.
My question to my fellow DX gamers is where does the franchise go from here. Do they move onto something else and Deus Ex is a finished (and well polished) franchise? Or is there a place between one of the game's timelines (or before DX:HR or after DX:IW which personally I wouldn't mind if it was written off as non-canon, but that's another story) where a new game can be developed with similar quality to DX or DX:HR.
Do you think Eidos Montreal will produce it or be assigned to a different title?
This is purely speculative and a chance to see what people think about where we can go from here.

- Not an edit, but also, interested to see what is announced, whether it is an SDK or DLC, preferably both.

..A man can dream

Krelokk
28th Aug 2011, 03:48
It has been said a couple times that Eidos and SE want this to be at least a 10 year long series. I'd expect games set during the 2030s, 2040s, and then perhaps a remake/reboot of Deus Ex 1.

Ragequit
28th Aug 2011, 04:00
I never saw those announcements, curious to see whether they could maintain a quality canon through such a small time frame within the universe.
If they made a reboot of DX with all the functionality of DX:HR (i.e. cover system, regenerative health), it could do well. I'm sure it has potential.
I think they should announce what ending is canon in the credits maybe or something. For those serious about the story of the DX franchise

Fuzzman
28th Aug 2011, 04:32
There will certainly be a follow-up to DXHR, as there is a lot of material that has yet to be fully explained or explored.

Whether the 10 year plan can be realized or not...we shall see.

Random
28th Aug 2011, 04:49
I'd prefer they leave Deus Ex's story alone and just set any other games in a same universe but keep the story unrelated to anything else, except in the broadest ways.

But there is some scope for other stuff I guess. The Illuminati and MJ-12 politics/takeover is a rich source. I was surprised there wasn't any of that mentioned in HR actually.

They could make a game involving the Northwest Secessionist Forces (which became the NSF 'terrorists' in DX1).

They could show us the financial collapse of the United States following the quake that dropped most of California into the ocean (this is what happened in the Deus Ex timeline). That story could also help explain how the world goes from so bizarrely advanced in HR to the less advanced and despairing world of Deus Ex.

But please, a reboot of Deus Ex 1 would be the worst thing the games industry has ever produced. Leave Deus Ex 1 alone. It's a classic and Eidos should not dare to touch it.

Ragequit
28th Aug 2011, 04:51
Maybe remaster it and re-release it as an add-on content for their next Deus Ex title? A little extra handiwork but they did quite a bit of fanservice with HR so I would be quite pleased with that

atheelogos
28th Aug 2011, 08:30
and then perhaps a remake/reboot of Deus Ex 1.your not serious are you?

Black-Xero
28th Aug 2011, 08:42
your not serious are you?

Why wouldn't he be serious? I love that idea.

Deltaslayer
28th Aug 2011, 11:18
Why remake the original? It wouldnt have meele weapons, lean keys, in-game cutscene, lockpicks, interactive environments, option to let the bosses alive, etc etc...
The only thing the original would need for today standard's is better graphics, but the rest is just perfect.

Boradam
28th Aug 2011, 13:38
Why remake the original? It wouldnt have meele weapons, lean keys, in-game cutscene, lockpicks, interactive environments, option to let the bosses alive, etc etc...
The only thing the original would need for today standard's is better graphics, but the rest is just perfect.

They wouldn't think so, they would literally need to find everything again, recode everything again, put in the audio files and make the cutscenes like The Conspiracy had, they would need to remake so much that it wouldn't be called Deus Ex anymore.

Just play the 'real' game, enjoy it for what it is and was; one of the best games made, so enjoy that instead of a remake of a game that we all can play right now with an already great experience.

Krelokk
28th Aug 2011, 14:31
your not serious are you?

I'm totally serious. I wasn't declaring my love or hate of the idea, simply that it makes logical sense. But upon thinking of it I honestly wouldn't mind. By the time they would get to that part of the timeline, it would probably be 2016 or later in real life. Games don't age well at all, not like books, or even movies (which also have an aging issue) Games are ancient within 5 years. The vast majority of gamers around by 2016 will not have even played it. Most playing DXHR haven't played it either. It only sold like 1 million over a period of ten years, or something along those lines.

I played DX1 in a massive two day gaming spree the moment it was released. It is my favorite game, I adore it, but I sure wouldn't mind a respectful 'adaptation'. EM have proven themselves worthy.

theillusiveman0
28th Aug 2011, 21:47
There are plenty of things they can do both before and after the game. Me personally, I wouldnt mind a DLC version of The Icarus Effect or something that goes in to more detail about the factions of the DX universe ,especially the Illuminati. Also wouldnt mind some more backstory and closure on Adam's story.

Ragequit
29th Aug 2011, 04:45
I would like to know what happens to Ben Saxon, maybe he has some behind the scenes involvement against the Tyrants or something, or maybe Jensen meets Saxon, even briefly, that would be cool