PDA

View Full Version : I am HATING the first boss fight with a passion

DanielZKlein
27th Aug 2011, 23:41
So I loved every second in the game so far. I reserved this weekend to play as much DX:HR as I could. I loved sneaking, I loved piecing together the story, I loved the fights against punks and against spec ops soldiers, I even didn't mind the hacking mini game.

Queue first boss battle.

I've been trying for two hours now to defeat this guy. I went into it with no explosives and hardly any combat augs. I thought I could play the game any way I liked, so I went combat-light. Big mistake.

I've tried more than a hundred times to kill this guy, and it's been the most frustrating thing ever. I've been looking around for cheat codes--CHEAT CODES for god's sakes--just to get past this annoyance and enjoy the rest of the game. There don't seem to be any. I'm about to just give up and stop playing.

I've never been this frustrated by a game design decision in an otherwise stellar game before. Is there any hope at all of them patching in an option to skip boss fights or possibly just a super low difficulty? (I turned it down to tell me a story, even after having zero problems on normal difficulty before, but it doesn't help).

Someone help me please. I really want to play the rest of the game, but I'm not going to go back to hitting my head against the brick wall that is this boss fight.

Quillan
27th Aug 2011, 23:46
People have suggested throwing the barrels in the room at him. Explosive barrels do a lot of damage, and the gas barrels have such a long incapacitation time that you can reposition yourself and grab another one.

I was about as frustrated as you were; I failed repeatedly and was cursing his ability to throw multiple grenades at once in a fan pattern. I found a video of the fight on Youtube, watched it and tried again. When I succeeded I through 4 frag mines at him from the nearest cover, unloaded my 10mm into him before running, and after reloading in cover at the other end of the room put a few more shots into him. It dropped him, I think I used about 20 rounds of ammo. At the time, I only had 1 or 2 damage upgrades on the pistol and no laser sight, but I did have the armor piercing upgrade on it.

Erogath
27th Aug 2011, 23:47
EMPs mate. other explosives, there's a bunch in the room you can use. And if you are careful enough he WILL lose sight of you and start just firing randomly while wandering at which point you can fire some stealth shots into his head, might take a while just be patient, and save during the fight when you're in a safe place.

ZakKa89
27th Aug 2011, 23:48
I quite enjoyed it. Didn't take too long. There is a stun gun in the area, I used that. There are explosive barrels, I used those too. I used cloak to run away when I was in a pinch. I shot mostly at the head. I threw proximity mines.

Wasn't too hard on deus ex difficulty. I can imagine it's a lot harder with a controller though. Key is to be patient, run away a lot, find cover and repeat.

DanielZKlein
27th Aug 2011, 23:51
Yeah, I'm really stripped for resources. I got one frag and one emp. There's no way to get out of the level and restock. There's also nothing useful anywhere that I can get to.

I'll try again eventually I guess. I really want to see the rest of the game. But seriously, this is just horrible game design. I wonder where this decision came from and whether they had any holistic testing of the near-finished product. This should be very easy to catch: "Oh, hey, our difficulty curve kinda becomes a cliff-face here; maybe we need to smoothen it."

balanced
28th Aug 2011, 00:00
Go and get the rocket launcher which is in the level. That should help kill it on easy setting.

PrinsJonis
28th Aug 2011, 00:11
Umm, you can kill Barrett without even firing a single shot at him. Just throw the freaking gas barrels & explosive barrels at him. I did it at the hardest difficulty.

These type of threads just scream "l2p" all over them.

PhillyEagleDude
28th Aug 2011, 00:20
There is a poison barrel back and left from where you are at the start of the fight. Just sit on the other side of the wall until he walks over and blast the barrel..move away from the gas and chuck a cple grenades at him. Fast, quick, and easy. Beat him on hardest difficulty once I noticed the poison barrel was there I handled him easily.

cachx
28th Aug 2011, 01:00
I was having a hard time with him on normal difficulty until I found out about the barrels, green barrel (stuns him) + a rocket(this guy's level has a rocket launcher) and a few rifle bullets and he went down (too) fast.

I'm doing a pacifist/stealth run but I still keep a rifle and the rocket launcher exactly for things like this.

Oh, and the second boss is even worse, so good luck with that :p

sea
28th Aug 2011, 02:37
Use the barrels as others have suggested. Don't run out when he's still firing that minigun of his. When you beat him, pick up the Typhoon augmentation - it will make all the remaining bosses in the game a snap, just use it a couple times and they're as good as dead.

Vasarto
28th Aug 2011, 02:39
Really? The Barrels? I never thought of that! Man! I used the Remote mines, A Granade, shot guns to the head.
But I finally killed him without the need to use the barrels. It was tough though!

Black-Xero
28th Aug 2011, 02:39
Oh, and the second boss is even worse, so good luck with that :p

Really? I thought the second boss was much easier.

strayfe
28th Aug 2011, 02:43
The very second the battle starts make sure to shoot the barrel next to him to the left. Then spray shoot him and run to some cover. Throw some flash/stun nades, and pelt away. When he gets close pick up exploding barrels, or even the fire extinguishers, and throw it at him. Killed him on my second go.

ZakKa89
28th Aug 2011, 02:45
Yeah, I'm really stripped for resources. I got one frag and one emp. There's no way to get out of the level and restock. There's also nothing useful anywhere that I can get to.

I'll try again eventually I guess. I really want to see the rest of the game. But seriously, this is just horrible game design. I wonder where this decision came from and whether they had any holistic testing of the near-finished product. This should be very easy to catch: "Oh, hey, our difficulty curve kinda becomes a cliff-face here; maybe we need to smoothen it."

Like I said there is a stun gun right there. At the boss fight. There is more stuff. I guess you have some augmentations you could use as well... What augs you have? I don't think it's bad game design.

AdorableMachineOfDarkness
28th Aug 2011, 02:53
Ya got to dance with the one who 'brung ya! :-)

I played stealth and social my first time through. I had a hard time with the Bull too! Here's how I did it...

Make a square out of the room's pillars...

Stealth and run to one corner of the square.
Shoot him from a distance until he starts closing on you. If he gets too close, stun him.
Stealth. Run to the next pillar.
Repeat... shooting any barrel you can. I put mines and stuff down before I ran and that seemed to help too.

Using the rifle, you should be able to get him in the first few minutes.

Good to see you finally got him OP, hope this helps someone else!

Greengrunt
28th Aug 2011, 03:15
I too had a problem with this boss battle, he went down after I threw a gas grenade in the corner... Crazy stuff. The EMP grenades worked great against him as Barret got really disoriented and started shooting at the opposite corner I was in. My augs were mostly the hacker augs at this point in the game, I had no stealth or typhoon upgrades, in fact, I didn't have any combat augs at all. I did alot of sprinting and shooting behind the pillars and used whatever grenades I could find, it was tough for me but I got it done.

Greengrunt
28th Aug 2011, 03:19
Really? I thought the second boss was much easier.
The second boss had an pattern that was easier to identify and adapt your tactics accordingly... You could use cover to your advantage moreso than with Barret. Again, I had no combat augs for this fight as well. I had a stealth aug but I never used it.

Nyysjan
28th Aug 2011, 08:22
I hated the first boss too, not for the difficulty (tried it on my own a few times, poked around in the webs and found the barrel throwing strategy), but for the utterly stupid cutscene before it, after stealthily coming down the entire complex, silently taking down every enemy, not having been detected even once, AJ just randomly decides to walk into a dark room without even trying to confirm if there is anyone in there.
And how the hell could he not hear those footsteps (i hate how enmies seem to make no noice whan walking, except in that one cutscene, when AJ ignores it).

Currently escaping from TYM building, hated the cutscene here as well.

Frag Maniac
28th Aug 2011, 09:33
It's not horrible game design so much as you not seeing the obvious. They give you at least 3 clues a boss fight is coming along with a very liberal save system and you probably ignored all of that.

There's a rocket launcher and ammo just before you get to the back alley punk's antenna before you even go to Detroit. It's a clue your next mission is something big, because it's clearly not needed against the punks.

In Detroit there's guys outside the building where Malik drops you off just flaunting their combat gear for sale, and a significant cutscene at the first part of the building you enter showing you the guy that basically put Jensen in the hospital with his big augmented muscle Barret standing guard.

There's another rocket launcher and ammo after taking out the big walking mech in the first big room you go into after the long elevator descent, and most of the troops around there are carrying combat rifle ammo.

That 2nd rocket launcher btw is where I decided to make a save I could revert to in the chance the arsenal I took was geared too much for versatility, and not enough for heavy firepower.

Turns out all I had to do was immediately crouch behind the closest concrete barricade and pummel him with the combat rifle in the face as he was approaching, circling around it as he came near. He ended up walking by the fire extinguisher, which I shot. It was like a flash bang blinding him long enough to finish him off with the combat rifle.

I then backtracked and scraped together nearly as much combat rifle ammo as I entered the room with, so it was as if I'd not spent anything. This guy is not that hard to beat. The game gives you plenty tools with which to do it just as freebies along the way, and it's literally obvious the fight is coming. I didn't even use any augs or weapon upgrades.

ocstew
28th Aug 2011, 10:05
No offense but you really suck. Googling this boss fight would of turned up loads of videos that clearly show all you need is one emp, or one stun gun dart. From there on you can just keep on throwing gas and explosive barrels. Did you expect to be able to take him down like a normal solider?

Joseph Manderley's Corpse
28th Aug 2011, 11:17
I ended up replaying the level making sure I had enough stuff in my inventory to take him down. This was after about 20 unsuccessful tries.

In the end, I chucked one gas grenade at him followed by two frags and a pistol shot to the melon.

Done....stick a fork in him.

dspir1t
28th Aug 2011, 12:24
I've created this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLziItg6ks) just for people like you. Seriously, this game is laughably easy, if i could've find developers email i'd write them giant email about no difficulty of this game.

trick1992
28th Aug 2011, 12:29
all you guys are doing it wrong. just find all the barrels in the room and throw it at him. boss dead. no ammo expended

Nyysjan
28th Aug 2011, 13:26
all you guys are doing it wrong. just find all the barrels in the room and throw it at him. boss dead. no ammo expended

didn't work for me, ran out of barrels and had to shoot a burst from combat rifle (5 bullets or so) to finish him.

Rainhands
28th Aug 2011, 13:29
You people are nuts. I seriously cannot fathom what is so hard about the first boss. I beat him on my first try(Give me DX). All you have to do is keep shooting him in the head with the assault rifle and run to cover whenever he approaches. If your health diminishes take one of those health boosters(you did collect pills right?).

It is that simple. Have you never played a FPS before?

Nyysjan
28th Aug 2011, 13:43
You people are nuts. I seriously cannot fathom what is so hard about the first boss. I beat him on my first try(Give me DX). All you have to do is keep shooting him in the head with the assault rifle and run to cover whenever he approaches. If your health diminishes take one of those health boosters(you did collect pills right?).

It is that simple. Have you never played a FPS before?

I haven't collected pills, as my playstyle is build around stealth and hacking.

Also, original Deus Ex was not simple fps, nor is its prequel, i'm almost out of hengsha, and i've yet to fire a single shot apart from those 5 to barret and the ones i used in tutorial section before i got augmented.

Rainhands
28th Aug 2011, 13:48
Nevertheless the original game had a lot of shootouts and it was your own choice to shoot or not. Pick up all the pills you can find and pick up an assault rifle so you can be ready for the next bosses. Upgrade them too.

cartridge
28th Aug 2011, 14:14
I thought the first boss was rather easy actually, I only died once because I misjudged my throw of the EMP grenade. 1 EMP grenade + 3 rockets + 1 sniper shot to the head, and he was down.

DanielZKlein
28th Aug 2011, 14:28
Thanks everyone for your help. I've now beaten the boss. I ended up tossing one gas barrel at him, taking massive amounts of damage in the process, then shooting at him some, and when I was about to die I tossed a frag at him just as he strolled past a red barrel. I was about to hit F8 already when he died.

My feeling after the fight wasn't a fiero one of "YES! KILLED HIM!" but much rather "finally, I get to go on with the game". I am in China now and I am LOVING the game still. Still, dreading the next boss combat somewhat. Got my typhoon fully skilled and 7 ammo ready for it, so I hope I'll be alright.

Nyysjan
28th Aug 2011, 14:30
Nevertheless the original game had a lot of shootouts and it was your own choice to shoot or not. Pick up all the pills you can find and pick up an assault rifle so you can be ready for the next bosses. Upgrade them too.

there was no single instance in the original game where i was forced to fight someone.
Every encounter could be dealth with by stealth, talking, hacking/information gathering or just plain old running away.

Rainhands
28th Aug 2011, 15:05
there was no single instance in the original game where i was forced to fight someone.
Every encounter could be dealth with by stealth, talking, hacking/information gathering or just plain old running away.

That does not negate the fact that gun combat played a big role in the original game. Therefore if you cannot handle a simple boss in the sequel you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Nyysjan
28th Aug 2011, 15:10
That does not negate the fact that gun combat played a big role in the original game. Therefore if you cannot handle a simple boss in the sequel you have nobody to blame but yourself.

No, it very much did not play a big role in the original, atleast no bigger than stealth, hacking and social interaction, all very completely optional.
And of the four, i found the gun combat to be least important and most ineffective way of advancing myself, outside of some stealthy kills with sniper rifle or silenced pistol, gun combat was somewhere between useless and counter productive imo.

And anyway, i have no issue with difficulty of boss fights, my issue is with their very existence as forced encounters with only one way of dealing with them, we've taken a huge step backwards from what the original game was in this, wich is dissapointing and one of the lowest points in game thus far..

Rainhands
28th Aug 2011, 15:16
To be fair in the original there was a boss that you was forced to face through direct means of combat, and I think you could only avoid killing him through a glitch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Metatron1337
28th Aug 2011, 15:21
Yea I think the boss fights have been put together by an entirely different dev team... probably totally out of context, in another country and maybe even on a different plane of existence.

They break the games amazing flow and temporarily remove its biggest strength: freedom of choice.
It's like doing a roadtrip and removing the engine from the car every 5 miles, pushing the car for 2 and then putting the engine back in.

Not they are hard, I played on the Deus Ex difficulty and I died maybe 4 times on each fight until I figured how to glitch each boss in order to kill it in an easy way...
But I think they should not be mandatory, they're not immersive, not clever, not crucial to the storytelling, you could just as well drop a block of concrete on the enemies head and call it a day, would make just as much sense as unloading 5 clips of shotgun ammo right into their temples.

imo a drunken accident in game design like this diminished the chances of Deus Ex: HR to become the GOTY.
(That and the release of Skyrim later this year)

GreasedScotsman
28th Aug 2011, 15:40
Just a note for those that feel unprepared when they start this boss fight:

There is no need to stock up for this fight. You can enter the room with zero inventory and survive. There are two rooms diagonally across from each other at two corners of the main room that are weapon caches. They include health, ammo, guns, frag and EMP grenades, etc. Just don't get cornered by his grenades when you go in. :)

Also, as most have mentioned if you've been playing a high-stealth style of gameplay, you probably have a stun gun. Ironically, the stun gun is perhaps the most powerful weapon against this boss as a single bolt will freeze him for over 5 seconds, during that time you can run if hurt, throw barrels at him, lay down mines or blow his head off.

The stun gun actually does quite a bit of damage to him, so if you really wanted to, that could be your sole weapon of choice if you have enough bolts.

Nyysjan
28th Aug 2011, 16:09
To be fair in the original there was a boss that you was forced to face through direct means of combat, and I think you could only avoid killing him through a glitch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anna Navarre, forced confrontation, you could kill her with a killphrase, no combat involved.

Lirezh
28th Aug 2011, 16:23
So I loved every second in the game so far. I reserved this weekend to play as much DX:HR as I could. I loved sneaking, I loved piecing together the story, I loved the fights against punks and against spec ops soldiers, I even didn't mind the hacking mini game.

Queue first boss battle.

I've been trying for two hours now to defeat this guy. I went into it with no explosives and hardly any combat augs. I thought I could play the game any way I liked, so I went combat-light. Big mistake.

I've tried more than a hundred times to kill this guy, and it's been the most frustrating thing ever. I've been looking around for cheat codes--CHEAT CODES for god's sakes--just to get past this annoyance and enjoy the rest of the game. There don't seem to be any. I'm about to just give up and stop playing.

I've never been this frustrated by a game design decision in an otherwise stellar game before. Is there any hope at all of them patching in an option to skip boss fights or possibly just a super low difficulty? (I turned it down to tell me a story, even after having zero problems on normal difficulty before, but it doesn't help).

Someone help me please. I really want to play the rest of the game, but I'm not going to go back to hitting my head against the brick wall that is this boss fight.

I know what you mean, it took me good 8 reloads to kill him finally on Deus Ex difficulty.
I've to add that no fight was hard at all except the fight against Barret, all others were really easy as you have more augs and usually better weapons.

Well obviously: you can turn down difficulty for the fight if you haven't already.

What did the trick for me ?
a) hide from him, use your cloak aug if you have one and always use it only to hide and disable it again
b) make sure he does not throw grenades at you, if he does do the hide trick again
c) I've used the combat riffle as it makes hitting him a lot easy.
d) concussion grenades will make him dizzy for 5+ seconds
e) Finally: I killed him with a gas grenade. He's not moving much and seems to take a lot of damage from the gas
It was quite a surprise to see the gas grenade have such a huge impact on him.

Jingoist
28th Aug 2011, 19:11
What's with all the hating on the OP?

I was trying the same thing as him and was unsuccesful which is why I came here for help.

These forums are here to aid others, quit hating on the guy just for having trouble on a friggin video game.

If you don't offer help than shut your mouth and go mouth off on some political thread some where else!

BTW, thank you to the posters who actually DID offer help. It is appreciated.

Frag Maniac
28th Aug 2011, 20:47
all you guys are doing it wrong. just find all the barrels in the room and throw it at him. boss dead. no ammo expendedLOL, tell me just how manning up and soldiering the fight with precise shooting and careful cover tactics vs using color coded map exploit items is "wrong"? Red barrel goes boom, green barrel goes poof with toxic fumes. Only thing missing is a tut on it for noobs. Seems to me they put those items there for the players that can't handle it without such gimmicks.

That said, it isn't about a pissing contest. The whole point of a shooter with RPG elements is to give you lots of gear, upgrades and augs to experiment with and play as you see fit. I'd be bored to death if I approached every battle with a "Lets see if I can do it without using any ammo" mindset. I'd feel strung along by the map's item stashes, with no sense of creativity or inventory strategy.

One of the more engaging recent releases is FEAR 3. It's got more player challenge than this game and as Fettel, you really need to keep moving and using enemy bodies and weapons. Ironic that though it's been bashed for outdated graphics, it's no less polished in looks than this game. It's rather short though, and this one rather long by comparison. I've only played through the first boss fight, but if I don't see better gameplay soon, it's going to feel boringly long.

Dentrick
28th Aug 2011, 20:50
LOL, tell me just how manning up and soldiering the fight with precise shooting and careful cover tactics vs using color coded map exploit items is "wrong"? Seems to me they put those items there for the players that can't handle it without such gimmicks.

I wouldn't call any tactic wrong, but I would say that some tactics are masochistic.

Look, if throwing exploding barrels at people is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

Frag Maniac
28th Aug 2011, 21:21
I wouldn't call any tactic wrong, but I would say that some tactics are masochistic.

Look, if throwing exploding barrels at people is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.You rather missed my point there, which was not to say any given tactic is wrong, it's labeling certain ones as wrong, such as he did, that's wrong. I only talked about the barrels the way I did to point out that such a method is far too simplistic and easy for some to be content with, not to say it's "wrong". Clearly it's an aid for those whom feel they need it.

It's rather common for boss fights, especially ones in games with lots of RPG elements, to have various items laid out for a variety of tactics and skill levels, to accommodate a wide range of players and keep things less linear. For him to jump in and claim everyone was doing it wrong for not using the rather simplistic color coded barrels is just wrong though. I don't need a game telling me how to beat a boss.

I digress though. It's always the guy that jumps in and points out the faux pas that gets blamed for making one, particularly on official forums of highly anticipated titles where diehard fans of the game are quick to claim they're playing it right and everyone else wrong, as if having purchased a guide and followed all the exploits in it one by one.

Spyhopping
28th Aug 2011, 22:38
I have a huge amount of praise for this fantastic game and nothing but positivity to share, but I have to agree that the fight with Barrett was a nightmare.

Sooo... as for advice for people stuck- I had played quietly, slowly and non lethally up till the fight, so I had no firepower. I managed it quite easily it in the end on DX difficulty by saving every time I struck a decent blow with those barrels, and another immersion breaker- taking advantage of his tracking AI and clunky movement. If you hide behind a collection of crates with him on the other side, you can change direction regularly while blindfiring, and he will just walk backwards and forwards trying to get to you, firing shots into the crates. :nut:

mrfoxx
28th Aug 2011, 22:44
I killed this boss by throwing barrels at him then shooting him in the head. Then i promptly bought a rocket launcher and kept it in my inventory ever since. You need it, trust me, buy all the rockets you can and save it for bosses...

youll thank me later.

Up until that fight i hadnt even fired a shot from my gun, all takedowns and stealth... wait till you get back to hengsha for the second time, this game seems to like forcing you into these sessions where us stealth purist get hung out to dry.

All i can say is, make sure you invest in a silent combat rifle, and rocket launcher.

Yardwaste
28th Aug 2011, 22:51
Yep, boss ruined the hack and stealth game for me. I didn't even have strength to throw the barrels.
Just drop the difficutly in options to easy, kill barrett, move on and change the difficulty back to what it was.

Abram730
28th Aug 2011, 23:19

Queue first boss battle.

Get creative... look around at all the wonderful ambiance... Using the "ambiance", I was able to beat him without firing a shot or using grenades... ext

Picking things up isn't just about moving them to find another path... they are weapons too.. pretend they are a gun and shoot them.
cough cough "ambiance"... gas cans then explosive barrels.
creativity is rewarded.

Abram730
28th Aug 2011, 23:21
This is a spoiler... But I just found somebody who did it the way I did... well quicker then me though..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsa5Z4wvoa8

Rick24
29th Aug 2011, 02:59
Also stuck and frustrated at this boss, almost to the point of turning the difficulty down to medium if I don't beat him the next time I play..the whole concept of multiple bosses just seems so, not this game..

Sodel
29th Aug 2011, 03:21
First of all i play the game on the hardest difficulcy and have just beaten the first boss.

1) The boss fights is stupid it completely forces players to adapt their playstyle which is a bad thing
2) The boss is almost impossible to beat with normal guns
3) The boss is foolproof easy with the tactic the game forces you to use (fight is over in mere seconds ...)

So in the end it comes down to the game giving you freedom all over the place randomly throwing you in stupid fights ...

So why:
-Is the boss-fight-area so ridiculously small?
-cant the boss-fight not be optional?
-why does every player has to kill the boss?
-why not give the Boss a weak spot? Like for exmaple a small area that makes him vulnerable to stun-gun etc.? Or maybe even just knock him out from afar?
-why does the player start this boss battle in front of the boss -> this is utterly stupid (maybe its just me but my pc will have Stuttering whenever a new level loads so the start of the boss battle was a pain in the ass ...)

Sorry but for me this sort of forced mechanics are stupid console-crap. I hated this stuff in games like Force Unleashed but well to add something positive i hate it less than QTEs so at least ...

Pete278
29th Aug 2011, 03:48
Anna Navarre, forced confrontation, you could kill her with a killphrase, no combat involved.
How do you avoid Walton Simons? I don't remember him having a kill phrase.

Raggz
29th Aug 2011, 04:18
3 rockets in his face is all he can take :)

cqc_batman
29th Aug 2011, 04:28

Queue first boss battle.

Cheat codes? Skip boss fights? WTF Super low difficulty?

I've got your solution.

http://www.badideatshirts.com/Assets/ProductImages/JUST_SUCK.jpg:thumb:

You're not good at this game. Stick to COD.

Rainhands
29th Aug 2011, 04:42

Another member just reminded me that it was Walter Simons that you could not avoid killing through combat. I think it was possible not to engage in fighting him, but you had to expose a glitch as opposed to the developers consciously placing the choice before you. So in that sense this sequel does not stray far from the original boss sequences.

SearingWind
29th Aug 2011, 04:45
First time I had an assault rifle. It was hard as helll but wait till he reloads and pop out and shoot him as much as possible.

My second play through I had picked up 3-4 frag mines on my way though the FEMA facility and after throwing 3 or so at his feet he died. Commically easy.

Hope that help, you have a small window while he reloads to damage him w/o getting hurt if you don't have any sort of explosive.

Nyysjan
29th Aug 2011, 06:02
How do you avoid Walton Simons? I don't remember him having a kill phrase.

Another member just reminded me that it was Walter Simons that you could not avoid killing through combat. I think it was possible not to engage in fighting him, but you had to expose a glitch as opposed to the developers consciously placing the choice before you. So in that sense this sequel does not stray far from the original boss sequences.

Run away, no combat necessary.
And i don't consider it a glitch that he stops following after the loading screen (and after you take the only working sub, no wonder he never shows up again).

Sodel
29th Aug 2011, 11:41
Cheat codes? Skip boss fights? WTF Super low difficulty?

I've got your solution.

You're not good at this game. Stick to COD.

Actually you are an idiot. The boss-fight is ridiculously hard if you try to play it with your own style. While on the other hand it gets easy to a point where its retarded if you do it the way you are obviously forced to in the game which makes the fight a 20 second fight ...

So for me and others the second option just makes the game suck. If you play a stealth-approach and you are randomly forced to engage an enemy head on and throw barrels at him like Donkey-Kong to end the bossfight in 20 seconds ....

WarBaby2
29th Aug 2011, 12:32
Actually, even with a pure stealth build you can have some fun in this fight. Sure, I did trow 2 or 3 barrels in the end, but the rest I did with the sniper rilfe. If you do it right, you don't even have to stun him, just stealth around him and blindside him... took me ~15 tries to pull it off.^^

tinfish
29th Aug 2011, 12:54
Go and get the rocket launcher which is in the level. That should help kill it on easy setting.

This one drove me batty, I did us the rocket launcher and it didn't phase him, died countless times before he died on my 20th go.
2nd boss fight, i'm now immune to electrical damage and have 45% damage reduction, took me 1 minute.
3rd fight, couldn't touch him, died 4 times, equipped Grenade launcher, 3 second later he was dead.

The problem with boss fights is the impact that AUG/Inventory choices have on them imo.
Too easy or too hard all down to how you choose to play, isn't the choice of how you play a major point in the marketing of the game?
Boss fights remove the choice and I hated them.

Amazing game, but the boss fights are a big downer, none in DE 4 please :)

WarBaby2
29th Aug 2011, 13:13
Given, the whole POINT of "boss fights" in an detective/spy action RPG is questionable to begin with... I'd say, make them optional or give us other choices to deal with the antagonists in another way... To just let them fight to the death feels rather cheap (only one possible outcome, so only one plot to write).

chabbles
29th Aug 2011, 13:22

Queue first boss battle.

man i found that "boss" battle too easy, i used the rocket launcher i had just picked up in the gang territory u had to make your way through, 4 roctets and about 20 seconds into the fight and it was over.. with no combat augs on medium

so if yur having trouble, then load back to a save before you destoryed the antenna and find the rockit launcher, 4 direct hits and its over,

dragunz
29th Aug 2011, 14:48
People have suggested throwing the barrels in the room at him. Explosive barrels do a lot of damage, and the gas barrels have such a long incapacitation time that you can reposition yourself and grab another one.

I was about as frustrated as you were; I failed repeatedly and was cursing his ability to throw multiple grenades at once in a fan pattern. I found a video of the fight on Youtube, watched it and tried again. When I succeeded I through 4 frag mines at him from the nearest cover, unloaded my 10mm into him before running, and after reloading in cover at the other end of the room put a few more shots into him. It dropped him, I think I used about 20 rounds of ammo. At the time, I only had 1 or 2 damage upgrades on the pistol and no laser sight, but I did have the armor piercing upgrade on it.

I played on normal dif and I did not have a hard time, not even using the barrels. off the bat I throw a frag, then an emp, I focused my wpn upgrades on the shotgun, so I blast away while he was stun by emp, then run away and left a frag mine behind me and wait for him to come after me and voila...
I played a hack-stealth build so it is true that this game can be unforgiving during fight but it gives a real adrenaline punch and great feeling when you defeat your opponent ;-)

Tusc
29th Aug 2011, 18:59
2 shots from the Typhoon kills all bosses. Not helpful if you don't have that aug at the first boss though.

Graill
29th Aug 2011, 22:58
Easy stuff on the hardest level or any level for that matter. Once you are about to get riddled with bullets, dodge (use the evade to get away quicker) and run to the right most back room from where you start, at your disposal are one red barrel outside and inside two poison bottles in a dark corner for your happy use. First grab the red barrel and throw it at Mr Bull dazing him, duck back in the room and grab a poison bottle, throw at Mr Bull, grab another quickly and throw again At Mr Bull, time to Mr Bulls death, about 30 seconds. No damage to you, well maybe a bit when you run off to this room.

I discovered the poison shoved in a corner after 7 agonizing deaths, decided to explore and die to see what was available then put a plan into action, worked great. other boss fights on hard are equally easy once you have the right augment and plan, including the laughable boss fight at the end.

Enraged Penguin
29th Aug 2011, 23:22
Actually you are an idiot. The boss-fight is ridiculously hard if you try to play it with your own style. While on the other hand it gets easy to a point where its retarded if you do it the way you are obviously forced to in the game which makes the fight a 20 second fight ...

So for me and others the second option just makes the game suck. If you play a stealth-approach and you are randomly forced to engage an enemy head on and throw barrels at him like Donkey-Kong to end the bossfight in 20 seconds ....Your own style? You're locked in a room with a guy who is twice your size and is quite intent on killing you, your only option is to fight back. There is only one "style" that can be applied there. Hit him.

How you do that is left quite open though. You can use guns, or you can use the various objects strewn around the room. You can hit him head on, or you can break his line of sight and hit him when he is unaware.

I managed to finish this fight first time on the hardest difficulty, and the only augs I had were hacking related. No combat ones to speak of. I think I went in with a fairly well upgraded Pistol (not that it did much for me against this guy) and a stock Combat Rifle. I beat him by diving from cover to cover until he lost sight of me, then I'd throw a gas barrel at him and either spray at his head with the Combat Rifle or throw an explosive barrel at him if one was within reach. He was dead in under a minute. I'm not bragging. I'm just telling you that it is doable. And I'm not exactly a "pro" FPS player either, if I can do it then most other people will be able to aswell.

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but you have everything you need to beat the guy in the room where the fight takes place. So you've got no excuse for being beat in regards to game design.

And it's probably worth mentioning that Barrett is by far the easiest boss in the game. By a long, LONG way. So if you really are struggling this much with him, then your chances of actually finishing the game on the difficulty setting that you currently have selected are slim to none.

Sodel
30th Aug 2011, 02:36
Your own style? You're locked in a room with a guy who is twice your size and is quite intent on killing you, your only option is to fight back. There is only one "style" that can be applied there. Hit him.

I managed to finish this fight first time on the hardest difficulty, and the only augs I had were hacking related. No combat ones to speak of. I think I went in with a fairly well upgraded Pistol (not that it did much for me against this guy) and a stock Combat Rifle. I beat him by diving from cover to cover until he lost sight of me, then I'd throw a gas barrel at him and either spray at his head with the Combat Rifle or throw an explosive barrel at him if one was within reach. He was dead in under a minute. I'm not bragging. I'm just telling you that it is doable. And I'm not exactly a "pro" FPS player either, if I can do it then most other people will be able to aswell.

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but you have everything you need to beat the guy in the room where the fight takes place. So you've got no excuse for being beat in regards to game design.

And it's probably worth mentioning that Barrett is by far the easiest boss in the game. By a long, LONG way. So if you really are struggling this much with him, then your chances of actually finishing the game on the difficulty setting that you currently have selected are slim to none.

It seems you didnt actually understand my post?
As i said the fight is easy to a point where it is getting retarded as long as you play the boss-battle how developers have made it, i also played on hardest mode and i have only Hack-Augs.
The point is with my style of play i would have never gotten in this situation in the first place? Why is the room locked off all of sudden? Why have i fight to death all of a sudden? Why are there barrels everywhere and why can he take so much damage and headshots without armor on the head? Sorry but i'm not playing Donkey-Kong here am i?

I dont wont to play run and gun or even full-frontal-assault. And i want to play Donkey-Kong even less ...

Sorry but this Boss-Fight is just retarded. And problem is if i do the run arround playstyle and shoot at him. I have no combat augs and i am not planning on getting armor etc. so as soon as he sees me and im not in cover im almost instantly dead. I also have no stealth augs and i also dont want them. So how the fight went for me:

Try 1-10 -> normal gameplay trying to hide in the dark attack and hide again (my biggest problem was the level-start fps-drop i get whenever i come into a new level...)
Try 11 ...-> Run to Gas-Barrel 1-2 throw them run from explosive barrel 1 to 3 with sprint while he cant do **** due to the gas -> 15 Seconds later Boss dead -> player frustrated by having to play Donkey Kong ...

So what is the point of a game that supports players actually playing how they want to play when you force some stupid gameplay-mechanics on them with pointless boss-battles?

depresso
30th Aug 2011, 02:43
Easiest fight ever (Deus Ex Difficulty - Hardest).
1 - Run upto him with stun gun
2 - Zap him
3 - Zap him again
4 - etc
5 - etc
6 - etc
7 - he dies

Took a whole 3 minutes, not a single death once.
Wash, rinse, repeat for the girl in the AI room too.

I have NO combat augs, nor have I ever used a weapon (going for Pacifist / Foxxiest of Hounds achievements).
Only had hacking augs, and battery recharge for take downs.

I honestly dont see what the big deal is... so what if your stuck in a room and have to fight him?

Easy as hell compared to saving <redacted> when you have heavies and snipers everywhere... doing that non-lethal and saving her was the hardest thing so far. Got it on 2nd try but.

lockload
30th Aug 2011, 03:01
I used the mines i defused earlier in the level and one remote charge and that was it was very surprised lasted maybe 15 seconds

demonbox
30th Aug 2011, 03:13
lol i "love" people coming on forums to point others as noobs/whatever, when requested for help/suggestions, but ehi this is the internet so full of "smart" guys

sadly i have to agree with the ones complaining about the boss fights, they r completely "out of game"
no way to avoid them being a deadfight with guns or even more silly throwing barrels, about stun guns...meh
overpowered weapons, and again, you stun him once...nothing, you stun him twice again nothing but after a couple more, from "nothing" to perma death (cutscene apart)...pretty silly imo.
Same goes with the 2nd one, no way to avoid brutal confrontation even if, if u listen to the AI chick your opponent is in need of "help"

so are these fights impossible or extremely hard? nope, they r just challenging (once you find the only 2 options available for not combat heavy builds)
do they add something to the game? nope, actually immersion breaking:
you sneak your way all over towns/buildings filled with guards/bots/turrets/traps/cameras, but all of a sudden you jump into a room after 2 dudes without even tryin to take cover, and u get "surprised" by a walking panzer...sigh

DarkStar33Cdn
30th Aug 2011, 04:02
Took me around 5 tried until I realized I should use grenades.

Throw conc/emp grenade at him while moving to the right pillar for cover.
Take cover and wait for explosion, unload clip of assault rifle into face when stunned.
Take cover when he recovers, blindfire a second grenade at him, reload and fire a half clip into his face.
Dead.

If your having problems take Pain Killers before hand for a temp health boost.

phaTx64
30th Aug 2011, 04:22
Wow, really? Not to brag or anything.. but I thought it was rather easy to defeat him. If you are talking about the "HUGE augmented guy"? All I did was shoot him with the machine pistol, maybe about 3 clips or so, then hit him with one "gas cylinder" and "one explosive barrel" and he died. This was on the 'medium' difficulty level.

I did die the first time I fought him, but that was because I did not expect him to be shooting so quickly and so much with the built-in gun on his arm, after I saw how he was coming after me, then 2nd time I around I used the support beams to hide behind, then unloaded a few clips on him, then hit him with the gas cylinder and while he was recovering from that, hit him with the explosive barrel, then he died! I actually did not expect him to die so quickly, I was thinking I was going to be screwed because my ammo was extremely low.

ilweran
30th Aug 2011, 09:18
Run away, no combat necessary.
And i don't consider it a glitch that he stops following after the loading screen (and after you take the only working sub, no wonder he never shows up again).

He shows up again in Area 51, where you can choose to run away again :D

I had trouble with Barrett, but I'll admit I'm crap at boss fights - possibly because the Deus Ex games are pretty much the only ones I play. I'd been playing non-lethal, but once I found the shotgun and reduced the difficulty level it went a lot better :rolleyes:

Sodel
30th Aug 2011, 11:47
So for people still having trouble with the "tactic the game decides for you" the fight is utterly pointless and easy (the fight is only hard if you dont do what the game dictates ...):

1) Turn arround after start throw gas barrel at him
2) Turn arround throw second gas barrel at him
3) sprint to the first exploive barrel at the right side and throw it at him
4) sprint to the next one and throw
5) sprint to the next one and throw
6) throw a grenade or another barrel at him

The fight will take about 20 seconds and he will do absolutely nothing because he is stunned all the time by the explosions/gas (That is btw. on hardest difficulcy on lower levels it takes less barrels)

Or if you think that is too "extreme" you can also just stun him with the stungun until he suddenly dies .... (havent tried that yet ...)

L0neWolf
30th Aug 2011, 12:12
i think de3 bosses are the easiest bosses i' ve ever fought. Not so intuitive but pretty..uh..classic? You can even spam mines and kill them in a few sec

Jason Parker
30th Aug 2011, 12:32
In my second playthrough (this time on hardest) I was realy disappointed how easy of a kill he was. I threw a EMP nade at him sprinted up close and emptied my combat rifle at his head and he fell. It was like 20 seconds and done.

Locutus of BORG
30th Aug 2011, 13:53
Yeah, I've seen it done both ways with basically just barrels AND just guns, and imo this boss isn't as tough as he looks. One guy even got the boss to basically suicide with his grenades (he throws directly at you, so as he winds up, sprint into his face, then away, and his grenades will land close enough to him to hurt him.)

In any case, it only takes a few barrels/grenades and/or a few headshots to do him in on Normal. Grenades can be thrown accurately in 'blindfire' mode, which is helpful for those who don't know.

DarkKnightDanny
30th Aug 2011, 17:22
On normal, it took me two attempts to take this guy out, all i can say really is, concussion nades to Ghost him, turn frags into mines and scatter them around. I had one of those poison granades on me which stunned/snared him for about 6 seconds too.
Im doing a stealth run and sold all guns and ammo EXCEPT a handgun which i upgraded the hell out of as a "oh crumbs im up turd creek without a paddle" situation.

Think
Plan
Adapt

Uzuki
1st Sep 2011, 06:30
When did these forums become so full of hateful garbage?

Anyways, I had a ton of trouble with Barrett, as I consider myself above using rocket launchers on someone's face and didn't have typhoon my first run. I tried shooting the barrels while he walked by them, but it was never totally reliable. I simply tried to wear him down with head shots, which eventually worked, in addition to him taking some explosive and gas damage. But for those who like using a ton of consumables to down a boss, I can see how it would be easier. It was certainly easier my next time around especially with tossing barrels.

The later bosses are a bit easier to approach if you can figure out their patterns, although Namir is really hard at first (took me like an hour first run, and beat him in one attempt 2nd run). Sorry if that's a spoiler but it's pretty obvious given that you're fighting Barrett that you face him at some point.

But I seriously can't believe people are posting "quit you suck" memes. Wouldn't it be fantastic if DX sold less copies? A sequel wouldn't be at all desirable now would it. Anyways, it's really terrible behavior which I thought was not tolerated here, but then again this community is probably in a huge transition from low to high population (relatively) and the moderators spread way too thin, if the SC2 explosion on Team Liquid is any indication.

dimljajvbu
1st Sep 2011, 10:05
Not sure if it has already been mentioned... One of the little rooms, the one with more guns, there's a some crates/boxes by one wall. You can crouch in the corner here on top of them, and he just stands outside the room, apparently unable to enter, with the wall between you, and soon gives up waiting for you to come out and wanders off. If you're unlucky, a grenade can hurt you, but most of the time the grenades even in direct view don't hurt you.
So... You can either use this as a place to attack from, or just as a place to wait while your health recharges.