PDA

View Full Version : Fixed 400mb memory usage, cause of stuttering?

Arksun
27th Aug 2011, 22:19
Something I just noticed playing this game, wherever place I am in the game, if I ctrl-alt-del and look at the memory usage, Deus Ex is pretty much always using around 443mb of ram, even though there's 2.7gigs spare!.

Could this be the possible cause of the stuttering issues?, that Deus Ex is currently fixed to use just a small amount of ram and not taking full advantage of all the available memory, using hard drive system cache/page file instead?.

Perhaps a bug on the PC version thats making it think its a console with fixed memory?.

Please look into this

Brockxz
28th Aug 2011, 05:10
It shows about 460MB for me. So yes, seems it is fixed memory usage. I have total 8GB ram and it is a little bit stupid that game limits usage to 400-500 MB for systems with a lot of memory.

sea
28th Aug 2011, 05:18
Remember that just because the game doesn't use much memory, doesn't mean that it's going to waste. The game manages its memory use quite well due to the way it streams in content during play - increasing the buffer size (if that's even possible) might improve stuttering a little, but my guess is it's not the memory situation, but threading issues or some such that cause those problems.

blacklabel67k
28th Aug 2011, 18:26
Whats up with the thread title? Makes it sound like you fixed it or was able to have use all the memory.

brucek2
28th Aug 2011, 18:32
I do not understand all the threads complaining about the game only using 400 MB of memory. Being memory efficient is a good thing. Being bloated and consuming more memory than necessary is a bad thing.

Now stuttering is a bad thing. But the game is using the same amount of memory on every PC, many of which are not stuttering, so it seems like the focus should be on the stuttering and not on the memory.

Silanda
28th Aug 2011, 19:32
I do not understand all the threads complaining about the game only using 400 MB of memory. Being memory efficient is a good thing. Being bloated and consuming more memory than necessary is a bad thing.

Now stuttering is a bad thing. But the game is using the same amount of memory on every PC, many of which are not stuttering, so it seems like the focus should be on the stuttering and not on the memory.

The hub levels obviously use more data than the amount the game allocates itself, so this attempt at being unnecessary frugal with regards to memory usage is probably what's causing the problem. Well, the easiest way to take care of the stuttering is to simply load more into RAM. Having to constantly spool data off the hard drive, and constantly swap graphics data into VRAM, makes no sense if there is plenty of free system and graphics memory available.

Being excessively frugal with memory makes no sense when it drags down the performance of the program. Leaving gigabytes of free RAM untouched while performance suffers is not using memory in an efficient manner.

brucek2
28th Aug 2011, 20:07
I think you are jumping to conclusions on what is behind the stuttering.

The game is using the same amount of memory for all players. The hub levels are the same size for all players. Yet only some players are having stutters, while others are not.

Then there's all the console players, who are not having stutters, despite having both less memory and a much slower storage system than the PC users.

So no, I'm not convinced this issue is fundamentally about lack of sufficient working memory.

10hellfire01
28th Aug 2011, 20:14
I doubt RAM has much to do with the picture. Would it be nice for those of us who have gigs and gigs of RAM to spare? Yes. Other than that it wouldn't provide much of a bonus anyhow. Has to do with something else I can't quite put my finger on....others have said renaming the .exe to conviction (i.e. Splinter cell) or something has worked.

Silanda
28th Aug 2011, 20:57
I think you are jumping to conclusions on what is behind the stuttering.

The game is using the same amount of memory for all players. The hub levels are the same size for all players. Yet only some players are having stutters, while others are not.

Then there's all the console players, who are not having stutters, despite having both less memory and a much slower storage system than the PC users.

So no, I'm not convinced this issue is fundamentally about lack of sufficient working memory.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that it's just all a total coincidence that the stuttering happens when moving through hub levels and is accompanied by drive access. That is a sure sign that it is occurring when the game is streaming level data.

Consoles are not PCs and they have far less OS overheads for some actions, perhaps that is the case here. It's not as if the consoles are immune to the stuttering either. Take a look at this, in particular the PS3 version:
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/deus-ex-human-revolution-traversal-performance
Doesn't the way that the frame rate keeps dipping as it moves throughout the level look quite similar to what we are seeing? It's less obvious to see as the frame rate is lower to start with, and as such I'd be quite curious in seeing how well the game runs on the systems of people who aren't seeing the stutter. On my system at least I have the suspicion that if the game was locked at 30 fps, as the console versions are, the stutters would be far less obvious. It's far easier to see when the frame rate drops by 30fps than it is if it drops by 3fps, even if the frame rate being dropped to is the same.

Mizkreant
29th Aug 2011, 08:47
Gee, do you think this could possibly be due to the fact that both consoles only have 512MB of RAM? :scratch:
Bad PC port *cough*.....

libindi
29th Aug 2011, 09:10
I cant believe they have a team working on the pc version.

Arksun
29th Aug 2011, 13:18

If the fixed memory is a possible cause of the stuttering then its best to bring it to the attention to the developers, where's the harm in that?. We don't tell them how to code, but we DO test the game for them by playing it and noticing things. It also just makes logical sense.

Being memory efficient means using as much of the available memory that is there, not forcing PC's to use the same as a console, the console being a far more game-specific streamlined operating system. You cannot compare the OS of a console to the OS of a PC, which also uses page files/virtual memory in a totally different way.

I'd be very surprised if anyones PC still only had 512mb or even 1gig of ram. Let's make use of all the extra available ram in most peoples PC's to get the best performance from the game!.

Anti Matter
29th Aug 2011, 13:58
When I set my memory priority to high it's still limited to 620mb

8gb of ram here.

bluefoot
29th Aug 2011, 14:21
I'm not sure if it actually needs more. This is a console engine through and through, even though stylistically the game is a PC game through and through.

It utilises 1 CPU core and has low-ish RAM usage and barely stresses most good video cards. It's just not very demanding.

Arksun
29th Aug 2011, 15:32
I'm not sure if it actually needs more. This is a console engine through and through, even though stylistically the game is a PC game through and through.

It utilises 1 CPU core and has low-ish RAM usage and barely stresses most good video cards. It's just not very demanding.

Like I say, a console OS and PC OS are absolutely nothing like each other. Console OS's are super streamlined to do one job and one job very well.

A console to PC port should use the PC to its potential, really don't see why there needs to be a memory bottleneck. After all, why else would they write on the box 1gig of Ram, 2gig recommended. How's that extra gig gonna help if its only using around 500mb max?. Sounds more like someone forgot to un-restrict the memory access.

And yes , graphics card stress i'm finding very low, default high settings and the FPS is smooth... once the area has loaded, until then its stutter stutter. I walk into new area, as I'm turning around it stutters, once its covered the area, everythings smooth. So not a graphics card issue imho.