PDA

View Full Version : Experience completely ruined by boss battles

uv23
27th Aug 2011, 19:56
I'm sure this has been said before, but I'm so enraged right now that I had to post. I'm fighting Yelena and have probably died and reloaded 15 times already. At this point, I may not even be able to finish the game because of this ludicrous scenario. Its completely erased the many prior hours of enjoyment. GAH!

77robin77
27th Aug 2011, 20:05
Is she the Girl who tarns? If yes use Taifun! I used it twice and she was dead. Just gave her a 2 hit.
I played on the middle difficulty.

Edit: In my eyes the boss' are to weak & they shouldnt be called boss.

Cerulean Shaman
27th Aug 2011, 20:17
Yeah they were pretty damn easy. The environments (like the room you fight Yelena in) were more interesting than the actual bosses and what's even worse is that there was no real lead up to them.

"Oh, hey, you don't know who I am nor have any real reason to care, but I'm different from all the other faceless soldiers because I have a name and don't wear a mask, so um, let's fight!"

If I hadn't read the books I wouldn't know much about them or their personalities, but the game pretty much stabbed and laughed at the book after it finished with the "bosses". Weird too, all that nice storytelling and gameplay both ironically wounded by bosses that seemed so out of place one has to wonder if they weren't just thrown in last minute for the hell of it.

Charadesmith
27th Aug 2011, 20:26
Defeated all bosses at 2nd try on hard difficulty.

As far as character development of the bosses, it's on the novel Icarus effect

Geoff Keating
27th Aug 2011, 20:31
Gotta say, I completely agree. The boss fights are poorly designed and tedious obstacles to progress. How many people are going to give up playing the game because of them?

Charadesmith
27th Aug 2011, 20:36
Bosses are a breeze

Vasarto
27th Aug 2011, 20:39
Is she the Girl who tarns? If yes use Taifun! I used it twice and she was dead. Just gave her a 2 hit.
I played on the middle difficulty.

Edit: In my eyes the boss' are to weak & they shouldnt be called boss.

Bull ******* CRAP! I threw a plastic remote charge and Detonated it on the first boss. A Direct hit from a Concussive Granade and Shot him point blank in the head with the Shot gun three times in one go on EASY mode and he still killed me!

Your freaking full of it and I have proved it by my own experience.
The boss fights are freaking impossible and I am not thrilled to fight any more of them.

Daedatheus
27th Aug 2011, 20:41
I'm sure this has been said before, but I'm so enraged right now that I had to post. I'm fighting Yelena and have probably died and reloaded 15 times already. At this point, I may not even be able to finish the game because of this ludicrous scenario. Its completely erased the many prior hours of enjoyment. GAH!

Add points to your Dermal Armor aug. Equip painkillers/hypostims to an easy to reach button. The room has lots of heavy rifle ammo in it, use that weapon. Run up to her and unload on her head while tapping your painkiller button every few seconds. I think you can also use takedowns on her as well. She stands there shooting you, so you can unload a ton of bullets into her face.

I killed her very quickly this way, and I'm playing on the middle difficulty.

But yeah, that battle sucked, I had no idea who she was except another merc, and standing in front of someone unloading bullets until they die 15 seconds later is really not Deus Ex to me. Luckily it was over so quickly that it didn't bring the experience down too much! The rest is amazing so far.

Geoff Keating
27th Aug 2011, 20:42
Disagree.

CarpeNukemXVIII
27th Aug 2011, 20:48
Wow, some of you guys are horrible from what I can tell. I played the game on Hard and beat all of the bossesand 2 or 3 tries. They were all easy, and I thought they were tons of fun and broke the game up quite nicely. First two bosses you don't even need to waste bullets on since the enviroment can kill them. 3rd boss was a little harder, but had pretty silly AI which is easy to break. I can't imagine any of you guys beating the original DX on realistic.

Black-Xero
27th Aug 2011, 20:50
Bull ******* CRAP! I threw a plastic remote charge and Detonated it on the first boss. A Direct hit from a Concussive Granade and Shot him point blank in the head with the Shot gun three times in one go on EASY mode and he still killed me!

The boss fights are freaking impossible and I am not thrilled to fight any more of them.
I only used a combat rifle and shot the bosses constantly in the head. They were over quickly. I was playing on easy(yeah, yeah) and it was very simple to beat them, especially the second boss. I did did suffer a lot of damage but I didn't die.

Deus.EXE
27th Aug 2011, 21:09
For 2nd boss...
Stun gun. Zap her until she falls. (Only took me like 5 shots on Hard) She can't even move.

zeropride
27th Aug 2011, 21:16

emp nades are your friend.

Saloei
27th Aug 2011, 21:23
This is stupid. Sounds like a typical mario brothers game. Why in the hell! would such gameplay be added to a Deus Ex game. WTF!

NKD
27th Aug 2011, 21:32
Get the Typhoon (Level 2). Definitely before the second boss battle, maybe before the first, but that fight is pretty easy. It's a cheap investment and you can afford to spare the Praxis points. 2 or 3 Typhoon blasts on Deus Ex mode and bosses go down easily.

Kneesocks
27th Aug 2011, 21:52
Bosses were ridiculously easy, even on the "give me deus ex" mode. Here's how to beat them:

Barrett:
Hide behind the pillars and shoot him while he isn't spraying at you with his machine gun. When you move between the pillars, use your cloak so he doesn't know which one you're behind. Keep doing this until he's dead. This is hardly a difficult boss fight. If you have EMP grenades, you can stun him and then just shoot him some more.

Federova:
Run directly past her. When she activates her typhoon, she leaps into the air towards you, if you sprint past her, she'll jump too far and she won't hurt you. Don't try to damage her at this point in time. When she cloaks, shoot one of the electrical pylons in the room. You don't even have to shoot her in this boss battle. Get shocked by the electricity, and wait until your health regenerates. She won't attack you until she recharges her typhoon. Dodge her again, shoot the remaining electricity pylons one-at-a-time, making sure to regenerate your health between every one you destroy. Congratulations, you've just won without even having to shoot her

Namir:
Just run around the outside perimeter of the "arena", where all the statues are. He won't catch up to you. It'll just be a matter of time before you eventually stumble upon him. When you do, take cover at the nearest corner and shoot him. He'll run away. Then start running around the outside of the arena again and repeat the process until he's dead.

Yhao
This is the easiest boss fight. Cloak and sprint towards the middle columb. The turrets can't hit you if you're below them. Open each pod and kill all 3 of her daughters with whatever gun you want. When the zombie soldiers come out, just mow them down with headshots. It helps if you have the reflex booster so you can take two of them out at the same time with melee. As for the security bots, just use an EMP grenade on each one. Also, there's a sniper rifle in the area, and the supply rooms aren't affected by the electrical charges, so you can hide in there and shoot the security bots with them.

All the boss fights are super easy.

Swimmy
27th Aug 2011, 22:04
Namir was the biggest joke.

Right when the fight began I shot him with my grenade launcher. Ended in less than 30 seconds.

Dentrick
27th Aug 2011, 22:46
If you're curious enough, you can get introduced to most of the bosses in the Deus Ex novel.

tinfish
27th Aug 2011, 23:04
Wow, some of you guys are horrible from what I can tell. I played the game on Hard and beat all of the bossesand 2 or 3 tries. They were all easy, and I thought they were tons of fun and broke the game up quite nicely. First two bosses you don't even need to waste bullets on since the enviroment can kill them. 3rd boss was a little harder, but had pretty silly AI which is easy to break. I can't imagine any of you guys beating the original DX on realistic.

How do you 'beat' a game? Is it competing with you? Have you ever actually accomplished anything in life worth mentioning on this forum?

I completed Deus Ex about 30 times, I still dont like the boss fights in HR, they are unnecessary.

I love all the oh so helpful advice from people too thick to realise not everyone has the same augments, very helpful!

GreyTemplar
27th Aug 2011, 23:22
Is it possible to take out barrett with a tranquilizer rifle, I'm curious... haven't reached him yet and do not have a stun gun.

balanced
27th Aug 2011, 23:39
I've been enjoying Deus a lot, but then got to the first boss. And It made me want to sell the game. It was a bad experience, I tried many times to beat him, I play in give me Deus Ex mode, after 15 attempts at reloading and waiting etc. I gave up (multiple rockets and explosives and EMP don't seem to bother him), I then decided to spend ages going back through the map to the beginning to realise I can't get back to the Hub. I had the idea to develop my Aug skills higher using more xp and cash, but you are stuck in the location.
Then I realised you can change difficulty, i put it to easy and killed him straight away (explosive actually works now). Then switched difficulty back again. But I wonder if the game will punish me for doing that, even for just a minute.
I'm continuing on now but it left a real bad taste in my mouth. The boss was way too difficult with nowhere to hide or retreat. I guess to beat him (on deus ex mode) it requires a different style of play, and I don't like it.

The rest of the game on Deus Ex mode is really easy.
I'll know for next boss to reset difficulty but it does spoil the game a bit.

@Kneesocks, you can't do that if you don't have that Aug skill. You try doing it without that.
And once you are there you have no way to escape back to Detroit to try and gain more aug skills.
It's just plain luck to arrive at the boss with the right Augs.

DanielZKlein
27th Aug 2011, 23:46
Bosses were ridiculously easy, even on the "give me deus ex" mode. Here's how to beat them:

Barrett:
Hide behind the pillars and shoot him while he isn't spraying at you with his machine gun. When you move between the pillars, use your cloak so he doesn't know which one you're behind. Keep doing this until he's dead. This is hardly a difficult boss fight. If you have EMP grenades, you can stun him and then just shoot him some more.

And what do I do if I don't have cloak? I am going into this boss fight with an emp grenade, a frag grenage and about 5 painkillers. I have 70 ammo for the combat rifle and the other weapons I carry are machine pistol, 10mm, sniper, shotgun. The 10mm has an armor piercing mod on it. This is what the fight feels like:

:mad2:

uv23
27th Aug 2011, 23:55
Add points to your Dermal Armor aug.

That's the issue. I created my character with almost all points in hacking and stealth, then I have to go toe to toe with an elite assassin and get my ass handed to me. I finally killed her after about 20 game reloads and a lot of cursing, but it really put me off of the whole experience.

balanced
27th Aug 2011, 23:56
I had rocket launcher and plenty of throwing explosives and EMP's. None of them did anything.
Over and over again. Yet soon as change to easy. Load, BOOM he dies. I wouldn't mind a boss this difficult if he was fighting you in a free area, but in a closed room is ridiculous. Such a bad bad aspect to the game.

klaeljanus
27th Aug 2011, 23:57
Barrett was admittedly brutal when I first got to him, but I've played him a few times(because I missed some things and had to load a save of before I got to him)
NOTES:
-only combat related augs I had were 1 point in recoil reduction and had the increased clip size for the shotgun. (had x-ray vis, persuade, break through walls and imp inventory 1, and I think one in batt regen.)

- EASILY the most important: your starting location for Barrett is crap. There are explosive barrels all around you, particularly on your right side along the wall.
- Save of a few of the EMP grenades you find in that level: They disorient and stun himfor a good ten seconds+.
- He only uses that grenade tossing move when he doesn't know where you are.
- Use the Hypo you get from the medical rooms. that extra 50 health is nice.

Method: Toss an emp grenade at him, when it blows run around behind him, unloading with weapon of preferrence(in my case: shotgun to head) when the 1st wears off, let him turn around, walk towards the barrel a bit, then rinse and repeat) Once he's on the barrel blow it on him.

Dentrick
27th Aug 2011, 23:58
I had rocket launcher and plenty of throwing explosives and EMP's. None of them did anything.
Over and over again. Yet soon as change to easy. Load, BOOM he dies. I wouldn't mind a boss this difficult if he was fighting you in a free area, but in a closed room is ridiculous. Such a bad bad aspect to the game.

Try gas also. It stuns him for quite a long time.

balanced
28th Aug 2011, 00:05
Can almost get to picking up a gas canister then get killed.
Difficult when he knows where you are.

Boradam
28th Aug 2011, 00:41
How do you 'beat' a game? Is it competing with you? Have you ever actually accomplished anything in life worth mentioning on this forum?

I completed Deus Ex about 30 times, I still dont like the boss fights in HR, they are unnecessary.

I love all the oh so helpful advice from people too thick to realise not everyone has the same augments, very helpful!

Barrett: With Barrett there are barrels hidden behind boxes and in plain sight by cover, pick them up and throw them at him and he will die in about a minute or two.

Yelena: Yelena will charge you and you can run by the power boxes and let her activate the Typhoon which will cause electrical wires in the enviroment to electricute her (and you if you don't jump alot or have one of the augs) leaving her vunerable to attack, this can take two or three minutes.

Namir: Namir, well if you have a gas grenade you can just chuck it at him and spam fire as he will not be able to move at all until the gas fades out. Two or three frags can kill him when he is caught inside of a gas cloud.

Hyron: Zhao, well really you can just destroy the turrets with a laser rifle (There are several on panchea) and run up to Zhao herself and shoot her and the fight will end, leaving you to simply kill the girls.

Alternatively, you may just turn off the life support directly with a hackable keypad in front of Zhao on the Hyron Stand.

I hope this helped.

Blackbird SR-71C
28th Aug 2011, 00:58

Sadly, I disagree. I just can't believe you, and here's why: You've said you beat the bosses on 2 or 3 tries? Well that's strange. I'm playing an all out stealth character, never taking anyone down. But even though I piked up the Heavy Rifle and plenty of ammo before the second boss I died at least five times. I always started out the same way: Throw a gas grenade and unload half a magazine into her while she's stunned. Then I used my cloak and smart vision to track her down. But until I beat her, every time I started shooting she ran up to me and used her own Typhoon augmentation, one-hit-killing me. So you're telling me she didn't do that when you fought her? BS. Wanna know how I killed her in the end? I got lucky. She got stuck running into a wall. It took all the heavy rifle ammo and two minutes of firing at her and reloading while standing still to kill her.

Oh and on a last note: I played the original Deus Ex on realistic and had no problem with any of the bosses. First off you could avoid most of them if you wanted to (which is also one of the things that made Deus Ex so great in the first place) or they weren't ridiculously hard to fight (Walten Simmons) even without strong weapons or combat augmentations.

CarpeNukemXVIII
28th Aug 2011, 04:23

Are you kidding me? I completed, finished it. Your attempt at trolling is very transparent buddy. I am not arguing if you like them or not(this has nothing to do with the challenge involved). I'm arguing that the boss fights ARE EASY, even on the highest difficulty. Anyone who finds these hard is NOT thinking hard enough, and most likely could not beat the original DX on Realistic AT ALL. Also, what augs you have don't matter, I went purely stealth/hack/social and breezed through every boss.

As for the rest of the non-sense that you posted(what I accomplished in life? Are you serious?), I think it's better left ignored.