PDA

View Full Version : This illustrates why PC gaming is dying

chatterbot
27th Aug 2011, 19:18
The bugs due to compatibility issues with an infinite combination of hardware and software is why high-end PC gaming is dying. I'm thinking of just getting an X-box so that I don't have to deal with these tech issues.

Rick24
27th Aug 2011, 19:43
Both platforms have their advantages. The "Pc gaming is dying" adage has been thrown around for 15 years, but it's actually starting to happen now that there is so much money to be made with consoles, and with the rise of broadband and mass piracy. While PC gaming will never die completely, the days of dedicated PC games are nearly at an end as we speak. Without Blizzard, there would be no dedicated PC only games to speak of. That said, with the amazing success of Steam, its obvious there is a large market for PC gaming, unfortunately we are going to be relegated to console ports for the future, as PC nearly always comes in last in sales when a PC\Xbox\PS3 title is released.

MaxxQ1
27th Aug 2011, 20:14
Without Blizzard, there would be no dedicated PC only games to speak of.

CD Projeckt Red (The Witcher 2)? I think Shogun 2 is also a non-Blizzard PC exclusive.

Mrmonkey2
27th Aug 2011, 20:24
Plenty of developers (Valve, ID software, Blizzard) that deliver topnotch games that hardly have issues on release and if they do, they are glitches and will not impact your game expierience much (unlike the problems with DE2 atm).

Hectick
27th Aug 2011, 20:26
This is a bunch of BS. People have been saying this for a long time. The fact is, DXHR is buggy because the developers messed up, as simple as that. There have been plenty of pc games, both exclusives and otherwise that have not had these problems. Also, as long as people are willing to pay for MMORPGs, RTSs, simulators (FSX) etc pc will never die, because pc is the only platform where games like those can be successful.

Zenithtb
27th Aug 2011, 20:58
I was just thinking; "So what about all the people saying the XBox version crashes and the PS3 features uncompletable missions"...

supersheep3000
27th Aug 2011, 20:59
PC's are dying. Yeah, tell that to the 11 million people who play WoW.

Dresden
27th Aug 2011, 21:38
What? I've had this crash once in 40 hours.

Ignorant, or just another OnLive shill?

Hazmat
27th Aug 2011, 22:54
I had one crash about 20 hours in - other than that the program has performed extremely well.

WhiteZero
27th Aug 2011, 23:09
The bugs due to compatibility issues with an infinite combination of hardware and software is why high-end PC gaming is dying. I'm thinking of just getting an X-box so that I don't have to deal with these tech issues.

There is actually not all that many of combinations they need to worry about...

OS Compatible? Check.
API Compatible (DirectX, OpenGL, etc)? Check
Drivers compatible? Check
Hardware meets min spec? Check

Ya know what really "kills PC gaming?" Sensationalist rhetoric like this thread perpetuating the misconception.

Now go buy your Xbox/ps3 and turn off your brain, you'll be happier.
Though not to bust your bubble, but consoles have their fair share of tech issues too.

Rorschach_
27th Aug 2011, 23:41

OK. Have fun.

Not like consoles aren't having problems with the game either.

Sargits
27th Aug 2011, 23:55
I don't get it why there isn't some government/private testing center in the gamingscene
that check every game for issues. With every gaming rig available in the world.
Financed by the current Publisher that is trying to sell their game.
As customer it is my right to get a product that is working 100% correctly.
Imagine a automobile manufacturer would build a car where the airbag doesn't work.
They would make a hugh product recall and try to fix the defect.
Only in the gamingscene you get products that don't work. Becouse everybody ****s at the customer.
And im sure that is a million business. So for me this is beneath contempt.
I payed 100 bucks for a game that doesn't work and have to wait 3-4 days till i could play it maybe.
In my eyes it isn't very reliable to do such things as a publisher/game developer.
Pathetic display. Greedy *****es.

Sorry for bad english.

DarkStar33Cdn
28th Aug 2011, 06:18

I would say the complete opposite. The PC market is consolidating at a rapid pace.

Good Quality hardware is cheap
Windows 7 is rock solid for gaming
Services like steam take the pain out of patching

Considering you can plug a 360/PS3 controller into the PC and most GPUs have HDMI out I doubt consoles will exist after the next round of hardware.

Abram730
28th Aug 2011, 16:55

actually that is soon to change... With G-CPU's and C-GPU's that will be changing a bit. Many game related functions like rendering will be off loaded to the graphics card. They will thus match the GPU and be standardized.

Many problems relate to CPU being to slow or too fast and causing a conflict with power saving. Also timing issues and A to B corruption under full load(doesn't show up in unloaded tests)

I think we will see hardwired DDR5 on MOBO's soon again a standardized amount and speed for core code.

atomMan
28th Aug 2011, 17:05
I don't get it why there isn't some government/private testing center in the gamingscene
that check every game for issues. With every gaming rig available in the world.
Financed by the current Publisher that is trying to sell their game.
As customer it is my right to get a product that is working 100% correctly.
Imagine a automobile manufacturer would build a car where the airbag doesn't work.
They would make a hugh product recall and try to fix the defect.
Only in the gamingscene you get products that don't work. Becouse everybody ****s at the customer.
And im sure that is a million business. So for me this is beneath contempt.
I payed 100 bucks for a game that doesn't work and have to wait 3-4 days till i could play it maybe.
In my eyes it isn't very reliable to do such things as a publisher/game developer.
Pathetic display. Greedy *****es.

Sorry for bad english.

No sweat.

Just use newline/Return spacing now and then ;)

CHANCE-PHOENIX
28th Aug 2011, 17:58

really ?

i"m playing this game on my 3 year old laptop maxed out and i"m enjoying it very much ...

er ... only thing is that i like playing this game with a wired xbox360 controller on my laptop over playing with keyboard and mouse.

Downtown1
28th Aug 2011, 18:19
PC gaming can go die when I can use keyboard & mouse on the 360 with the same look and feel as on a PC... which is to say it'll never happen.