PDA

View Full Version : A few design flaws i've noticed.

Beardhat
27th Aug 2011, 12:37
Loved the game, thank you sooo much, however there were a few things I noticed that may have slipped the mind during development, among other things in terms of character progression/development in an RPG sense and how it affects gameplay difficulty and options

Firstly, energy. Mainly, the bar only regenerates to 1, and after 2 play throughs I pretty much gave up on leveling the extra energy bar count, only getting faster recharge. Why? Because the extra bar count is pretty worthless considering that you need consumables to use them, when you could use those 3 Praxis points for other augments, and the candy bars can be eaten while using energy consuming augments anyway, making them more useful to horde then use to fill your bar. Namely, it seems that there should have been another Aug upgrade here, or at least a second part of the extra energy bar, where you regenerate another energy slot. Now of course, I can see where this could be abused where people would hide in a corner, wait for their 35 seconds of stealth in energy to recharge, making the game less exciting and easier to break, so why not add in a sort of augment unlock system, where certain stages of the game would unlock more augs that would likely break the game earlier, but become more nessisary as you progress.

Secondly, health regeneration. I see that in my augment list, it is already there. Now I understand, yes, you don't have a way to heal in the game except for hidden/bought regeneration items that are used to extend your health so this aug would be particularly important, what I don't get though is why it is mandatory, especially on a mode called "Give me Deus Ex". I am a challenge seeker myself, and wouldn't mind the option to turn this aug off and use the points elsewhere and use the rare healing items or try to get to the end of the level where A.J. could get a slight rest and recuperate his health that way.

And finally, all of the augments are available from the start, while this is somewhat of a cool thing since the entire world is designed to be done in many many different ways depending on the augments you use, some of the augs just make others pointless or not even worth using, for example, stealth enhancers are completely outdone by cloaking and X-ray vision and even having the default radar in the lower lefthand, making that augment tree pretty much not even worth getting, since it'll eat more Praxis points then other augments that are honestly much much superior to it anyway.

None the less, amazing game, it was well worth the money, time and effort to play it, I played it non-stop for 24 hours my first playthrough, and couldn't sleep right for the past few days because of it heh. Great job!

CarpeNukemXVIII
27th Aug 2011, 13:33
Beat the game on Hard, and did not agree with any of that. Energy bar is balanced, otherwise everyone would just melee all day. Health Regen works great, Adam dies very fast, and health does not recover as quickly as in other games, which means you still have to use items. And as for the Augmentation.....I've yet to run into a useless aug. They all work as inteded, and giving me all of them from the get go is great, as it allows everyone to have a lot more freedom in how to tackle the game.

Couldn't disagree more, pretty much.

Riddik116
27th Aug 2011, 13:50
The energy bar regen is pretty dumb cause like you said only one recharges so it makes all the extras worthless. i know its for balance for the melee but instead why even have that over powered attack anyway? why not just give a basic melee button that doesnt brake away to a cut scene where everybody is frozen cept you and your victim.

Regen health is fine as is, specially since we have to put up with the damn boss fights.

The augs seem pretty well done, the stealth tree is pretty useful if you upgrade it to the silent sprint.

And how in the world do you talk about design flaws and not mention the bosses? they are just jaring how bad they break up the pace in the game.

PrinsJonis
27th Aug 2011, 13:51
Health Regen works great, Adam dies very fast, and health does not recover as quickly as in other games, which means you still have to use items.

Hahahah, what? Yeah, Health regen works great at making you completely invincible. Health does regenerate faster here than in other games, and FOR FREE. If anyone is having problems with anything in this game they are just bad players, sorry but that's the truth.

doctor_atomic
27th Aug 2011, 16:11
My big gripe is the lack of normal melee options like the baton, knife, or crowbar from the earlier games. For some moronic reason the devs decided that we cannot attack anything without using energy or ammo. I beat the crap out of a lot of guards with the baton in the earlier games.

Brian175
27th Aug 2011, 16:27
Beat the game on Hard, and did not agree with any of that. Energy bar is balanced, otherwise everyone would just melee all day.

I don't know why people keep saying that. Try meleeing all day in Conviction without tactics and stealth. You will die.

littlecats
27th Aug 2011, 20:50
I miss having a knife to break the boxes with. I had to use my gun to shoot them up in my apartment in Detroit. I never used the knife to kill in the first deus ex game, I carried it to get rid of the boxes.

Shralla
28th Aug 2011, 01:15
I don't know why people keep saying that. Try meleeing all day in Conviction without tactics and stealth. You will die.

Clearly this game is exactly the same as Conviction.

Blackbird SR-71C
28th Aug 2011, 01:26
Hahahah, what? Yeah, Health regen works great at making you completely invincible. Health does regenerate faster here than in other games, and FOR FREE. If anyone is having problems with anything in this game they are just bad players, sorry but that's the truth.

Well then, why don't you tell us your strategy? From what I know enemies are quick to spot you and will pursue you, looking out of cover with three enemies in the hostile state usually kills you.

Also, health doesn't actually regenerate faster here then in other games. In fact DX:HR has the slowest health regen I've seen in quite a time. Slower then Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption, Crysis (2). It takes about a minute for your health to fully recover, in that time enemies won't just forget about you however.

Finally, a question: Have you played the game or did you just pick up random information from some board posts on here and decided to troll?