PDA

View Full Version : Eidos, can you please at least acknowledge the stuttering problem exists?

jeremygrim
27th Aug 2011, 06:19
Many of your customers on all Deus Ex related boards are experiencing the exact same problem - severe, game-breaking stutter when looking at "new" areas or turning around. There's even a big topic on it on this very board.

I know you have a lot of bug fixing to work out, and it must be a pretty high-stress environment to fix all of this stuff as soon as possible. So, although me and everyone else who can't play the game due to this bug would love a patch immediately, or at least ASAP, I know it's not entirely realistic - I don't know anything about programming or bug fixing. However, as someone who pre-ordered a long time ago and was eagerly awaiting this game's release, I would greatly appreciate it if you would at least tell us that you know the problem exists and that you're working on fixing it (or will begin working on fixing it soon). It would at least ease the worry that the problem me and so many others are having simply means we wasted our money and can't ever play the game.

Thank you.

Driber
27th Aug 2011, 06:29
If you require official acknowledgement, it'll be best to contact Square Support directly.

The link is included in one of the forum announcements/stickies at the top.

These forums are going a mile a minute and even for the forum staff it's hard to keep up.

The support guys may catch this thread and reply, but don't be surprised if it just falls off the page with the new threads coming in rapidfire.

jeremygrim
27th Aug 2011, 06:30
If you require official acknowledgement, it'll be best to contact Square Support directly.

The link is included in one of the forum announcements/stickies at the top.

These forums are going a mile a minute and even for the forum staff it's hard to keep up.

The support guys may catch this thread and reply, but don't be surprised if it just falls off the page with the new threads coming in rapidfire.

I have, and I've received no reply... to my knowledge, neither has anyone else who's emailed them about this issue.

Driber
27th Aug 2011, 06:34
Then they are obviously swamped, too.

jeremygrim
27th Aug 2011, 06:38
I'm sorry, but I really don't think it's very much to ask for. They released a product that was broken at release for a lot of customers in a lot of ways, and I don't think it's unreasonable at all that they just be upfront and acknowledge the issues and that they're being worked on. I'm sure they're swamped but I don't imagine that they're so swamped they can't even write a single email / forum post acknowledging a problem I'm sure they must know exists...

Driber
27th Aug 2011, 06:45
but I don't imagine that they're so swamped they can't even write a single email / forum post acknowledging a problem

If you were the only person asking, maybe not, but that's not the case.

Support is undoubtedly getting thousands of these pleads from players about whatever they believe should be the top priority.

TROOPER181st
27th Aug 2011, 07:13
i agree with the OP. the stutterproblem is an structual problem, in onther words,it is reported by hundreds of people on many international forums about this game and the reports are still comming in..then as a member of the community i think we all would appreciate some kind of statement from the developers.

If it was just an individual problem reported by just 1 person, yes admin, i would give the same answer as you; email it.

But thats not the case, nor the best answer we the gamers-community would like to hear...to just simply email them and hoping we dont have to wait long for an automated answer from an frabicated answermachine.
But in this case we really would some answer that would reasure us that they have heard about this problem.

I understand that the game is just new and fresh and all, that all new games have issues etc. and that they cant answer us because of the hard work they are in to solve the problem, but i wont accept it if it was because they are affraid of bad publicity for the game and putting their heads in the sand and hoping to sell the game. The game is a big succes and it sells itself, just a little word from the developers that they know and that they acknowledge the problem is enough for me.. ( but prefer a newer patch what would solve the problem for everybody ).

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 09:16
I am not an official spokesperson for the company but you know i work here, and that the developers do read these forums and we are aware that some people are having issues, just as we aware there are some people not having any issues at all. We've already released 2 patches addressing issues which were quickly found and able to be tested and confirmed fixed by QA etc.. The sheer scale of pcs playing the game makes finding a solution for some issues very difficult if we are not able to recreate the issues on our machines and confirm a fix. Blind fixing is not something you try on a live product..

We've heard different people try so many things, some finding a solution which works for them, but doesnt for others. We have people with `identical` hardware one having problems, one playing `flawlessly`..

People trying new user accounts on pc have had success (it means no extra programs running etc) Some have found disabling ati tray tools has helped.. Some have found using slightly older drivers has helped..

This is the beauty of forums, people communicate to help each other..

Jtrizzy
27th Aug 2011, 09:30
Yeah I have a brand new 580/2600k setup, and I had to disable DX11 so the game didn't freeze my pc every 5 to 10 minutes. Now it's just stuttering constantly, just as others are describing.

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 09:34
Yeah I have a brand new 580/2600k setup, and I had to disable DX11 so the game didn't freeze my pc every 5 to 10 minutes. Now it's just stuttering constantly, just as others are describing.

Have you tried the new user fix? trying to eliminate things here, software side first. tools running on top of OS etc.

Quickjager
27th Aug 2011, 09:42
I am not an official spokesperson for the company but you know i work here, and that the developers do read these forums and we are aware that some people are having issues, just as we aware there are some people not having any issues at all. We've already released 2 patches addressing issues which were quickly found and able to be tested and confirmed fixed by QA etc.. The sheer scale of pcs playing the game makes finding a solution for some issues very difficult if we are not able to recreate the issues on our machines and confirm a fix. Blind fixing is not something you try on a live product..

We've heard different people try so many things, some finding a solution which works for them, but doesnt for others. We have people with `identical` hardware one having problems, one playing `flawlessly`..

People trying new user accounts on pc have had success (it means no extra programs running etc) Some have found disabling ati tray tools has helped.. Some have found using slightly older drivers has helped..

Sorry but that does not explain why some xbox/ps3 players have problems and others do not. As far as I know all xbox.have identical hardware but some are experiencing problems others are not. True there are many fixes out there but they only help a fraction of the people. There is only so much players can do to help each other, in the end we have to rely on you guys because you were the ones who built it. Frankly its become discouraging seeing so many people who are dealing with identical problems I have and they all run different rigs than I. Seeing that it seems that it isn't a hardware issue, we in the end inevitably turn to you because there is something in the code that refuses not to/to trigger. It makes me wonder how all the reviewers got bug free games.

libindi
27th Aug 2011, 09:50
Stutter is a game issue,i hope developer are working on it。

TROOPER181st
27th Aug 2011, 10:15

i am glad that at least you confirm us that the developers are aware of the problem we all are having trouble with.
As the community manager i understand you are not an official spokesperson but at least you give us the quality insurance answers we want to hear and try to help us as best as possible, although within the limits you have in your role, this gives me hope for an future solution of this very annoying problem.
:thumb:

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 10:54
i am glad that at least you confirm us that the developers are aware of the problem we all are having trouble with.
As the community manager i understand you are not an official spokesperson but at least you give us the quality insurance answers we want to hear and try to help us as best as possible, although within the limits you have in your role, this gives me hope for an future solution of this very annoying problem.
:thumb:

Am not even the community manager.. I am simply the mastering manager who happens to have been on this forum since 2003. Kyle is the community manager over in Eidos Montreal, and we have a host of mods/admins who are not employees at all but we're amazingly grateful for the time and effort they give our amazing forums. (lol no i am not in PR either)

The process for getting patches for console is not an instant thing, as everything has to be submitted via the format holders (MS/Sony etc). PC owners dont have that extra level of approval, so we can get things processed quicker. Needless to say even on PC we have to do a full test cycle on any potential fixes, we dont just think `that'll fix it maybe` and shove it out..

Driber
27th Aug 2011, 11:50
I fully understand that you guys are worried about this and any other game-breaking issue. But rest assured that the team is doing their best. However, demanding the devs from instantly communicating through all the various channels, this forum being an example, will only take time away from actually working on solving the issues.

Please, just keep the bug reports coming in an orderly fashion and then just be patient and let the devs do their job.

Like Jay said, QA processes take time to do it right and to make sure we won't end up breaking more than we fix. It's called "Quality Assurance" for a reason ;)

but i wont accept it if it was because they are affraid of bad publicity for the game and putting their heads in the sand and hoping to sell the game.

Given the fact that EM has already put out 2 patches in the first couple of days since launch, which I personally find quite impressive, definitely proves that they are not "sticking their heads in the sand".

Please be aware that gossip like this will diminish the constructiveness of this or any other bug report thread and will only work counter-productive in the process of getting issues solved.

If it was just an individual problem reported by just 1 person, yes admin, i would give the same answer as you; email it.

But thats not the case, nor the best answer we the gamers-community would like to hear

You are somewhat indicating that I said the stuttering thing is not a big issue. I did not.

If it is a big issue, we would like to know about it.

Someone mentioned "hundreds of users". So if one of you guys can fetch me a direct link to a post (not thread) which describes this stuttering issue the best and the clearest, I can run a poll to get to know exactly how many people this is affecting.

libindi
27th Aug 2011, 12:09
Here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075294&page=17 and http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119684&page=7

you can see this stuttering issue affect a wide range of pc,based on some tests those player had done,I think the problem is mainly caused by uneven multicore cpu usage and low ram/vram usage.

Saloei
27th Aug 2011, 12:19
This is indeed an issue. I am experiencing this lag exactly as described by the poster.

cyborg34572
27th Aug 2011, 12:48
Yep same problem here. Always have 60fps stead (Vsync on), framerate never dips down even when stuttering. I have tried "EVERYTHING" literaly. It must be a problem with the game.

- Tried alot of combinations with the graphical settings, Ingame/Nvidia ControlPanel
- Tried testing multiple Drivers from Nvidia
- Tried running the game in High Priority
- Tried disabling some cores
- Tried closing all background Programs/Services
- Tried disabling Windows features that could stress the HDD , Indexing/WindowsSearch/Pagefile etc.
- Tried defragging partition the games installed in
- Tried Virus/Spyware/Malware/Adware scans
- Tried HDD error scans
- Tried disabling Aero
- Tried updating drivers Motherboard/Videocard/Soundcard etc
- Tried restoring hardware overclocks to default Processor/Memory/videocard
- Tried fixing conflicting IRQ's
- Tried disabling Onboard Hardware that could stress the processor
etc
This list could go on, i have tried everything i know from my long expirience with pc games, the problem must be with the game.

tZer
27th Aug 2011, 13:32
Just be patient. We got 2 patches, without the devs officially "acknowledging" the problems, they're probably working on more.

lessthanjack
27th Aug 2011, 14:04
im having the same problem and i found by turning all the graphics settings up it gradually got better but i got to the point were aa was the only thing left to change and it just caused the game to crash so it still proved to be unplayable after waiting all this time for it to be released

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 14:45
We've had one guy reporting he fixed his stuttering by adjusting some settings within control panel/power options

changed power saving settings (ensuring cpu was set to 100%) and disabled PCI Express link state power management.

Try these?

numinous
27th Aug 2011, 15:06
Admins, let me be the one to inform you that this problem isn't something that the players and "community" can fix. This stuttering problem is due to poorly optimized code that no amount of tweaking or option changing is going to fix. You've got people with absolute beasts of machines having the problems, too, so going out and buying a new computer for this game doesn't seem like a solution either.

Now, this is backed up by Call of Duty: Black Ops that suffered from EXACTLY the same issue. And that game is running on a highly tweakable engine. The "community" that you seem to think can come together and fix this problem were stuck for 3 months, watching console patch after console patch with barely an acknowledgment. That's fine, nobody expected any better from those idiots - but if you do a bit of research it'll support what I'm saying.

Now - as someone who can't actually play this game because of this, I think it'd be great to have someone from the tech team pop in and say "yes, we're know about this issue" - that way I can at least pretend I'll be playing the game I bought within a month.

Games have issues, we know. These issues are typically fixed by players, we know. This, however, isn't one of those issues. It's a fundamental code problem due to being poorly ported from console and only a patch is going to fix it. It certainly doesn't help by confusing the issue saying some people have had success fixing it; no they haven't. They just don't know what stuttering is and think a low framerate is the issue we're having.

Stop posting suggestions. Call tech and direct them to the STUTTERING thread here and on the Steam forums.

Syvere
27th Aug 2011, 15:07
Also if you have Realtek soundcard (99% of motherboards have this) try updating the drivers. People have had success with fixing the stutter with that.

david75sk
27th Aug 2011, 15:11
So I played it again (on XP, because it runs two times better like on Win7) and I noticed that second core is most of the time below 50% usage, and first core sometimes falls bellow 50% too.

Fix it please. There is no workaround, its the game itself. And yes I have newest Realtek drivers.

libindi
27th Aug 2011, 15:16
Admins, let me be the one to inform you that this problem isn't something that the players and "community" can fix. This stuttering problem is due to poorly optimized code that no amount of tweaking or option changing is going to fix. You've got people with absolute beasts of machines having the problems, too, so going out and buying a new computer for this game doesn't seem like a solution either.

Now, this is backed up by Call of Duty: Black Ops that suffered from EXACTLY the same issue. And that game is running on a highly tweakable engine. The "community" that you seem to think can come together and fix this problem were stuck for 3 months, watching console patch after console patch with barely an acknowledgment. That's fine, nobody expected any better from those idiots - but if you do a bit of research it'll support what I'm saying.

Now - as someone who can't actually play this game because of this, I think it'd be great to have someone from the tech team pop in and say "yes, we're know about this issue" - that way I can at least pretend I'll be playing the game I bought within a month.

Games have issues, we know. These issues are typically fixed by players, we know. This, however, isn't one of those issues. It's a fundamental code problem due to being poorly ported from console and only a patch is going to fix it. It certainly doesn't help by confusing the issue saying some people have had success fixing it; no they haven't. They just don't know what stuttering is and think a low framerate is the issue we're having.

Stop posting suggestions. Call tech and direct them to the STUTTERING thread here and on the Steam forums.
Completely agree!:thumb:

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 15:20

Hm me thinks you are not actually reading many other threads, or u'd know we've already released 2 patches addressing issues, and we are very active reading and listening to what people are doing and trying.. if someone finds something that fixes the issue for them, then this suggests that the game itself DOES work fine but SOMETHING on the consumers machine was causing it to not perform as good as it is able to.

Note i am playing the game at home on my aging dell M1730, on 8700M chipsets (and i get constant crashes just playing videos on the web due to the chipset `bug` thats well known but after a year remains unfixed - but i digress) i've been able to play with my machine set on max settings i can achieve for my lappy screen etc and i get no stuttering or anything, but i have my machine literally doing nothing at all in background aside from steam..

drewho
27th Aug 2011, 15:23
Also if you have Realtek soundcard (99% of motherboards have this) try updating the drivers. People have had success with fixing the stutter with that.

is nothing to do with sound, you can remove your soundcard and it still stutters

jeremygrim
27th Aug 2011, 15:27
Hm me thinks you are not actually reading many other threads, or u'd know we've already released 2 patches addressing issues, and we are very active reading and listening to what people are doing and trying.. if someone finds something that fixes the issue for them, then this suggests that the game itself DOES work fine but SOMETHING on the consumers machine was causing it to not perform as good as it is able to.

Note i am playing the game at home on my aging dell M1730, on 8700M chipsets (and i get constant crashes just playing videos on the web due to the chipset `bug` thats well known but after a year remains unfixed - but i digress) i've been able to play with my machine set on max settings i can achieve for my lappy screen etc and i get no stuttering or anything, but i have my machine literally doing nothing at all in background aside from steam..

Listen to me. Hundreds of customers are having this exact same issue. Customers with completely different computers, with different programs running, and from different places. This is very obviously an issue with the game. You're basically saying "if it's possible for a customer to find a work-around and get the game to function as it should have in the first place, then there was nothing wrong with the game at all". That's just simply not true. Even if there is some sort of sure-fire way to fix the stuttering problem so many people are having (and i don't think there is), that doesn't mean it isn't a problem and it certainly doesn't mean it's the customers faults.

Syvere
27th Aug 2011, 15:28

Indeed, I haven't had ANY issues besides high SSAO causing FPS drop when staring at a wall. Other than that it's been a smooth ride. I know there are some quest progression bugs but you guys will no doubt fix those in time.

Being a PC gamer where there are countless or variables, you should have the patience to try out suggestion if there's a problem with your game. On consoles finding the problem is easier for the developer as the hardware and software they run is fixed, there are no variables. More often than not 90% of the -technical- (not quest/gameplay bugs) problems can be fixed by the user themselves.

The FPS drop when staring at a wall with high SSAO seems like a driver issue to me, but normal SSAO looks better anyway, so it's really not a problem for me.

libindi
27th Aug 2011, 15:29

I guess you are the lucky one,but please look at thread 155 in this post,http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119684&page=7,you can see he tested the game on 4 diffent PC,all have stutter issue.

Mrmonkey2
27th Aug 2011, 15:29

100 % agree here ! And I might add that I think its VERY unacceptable to buy a game to find it performing so badly on a high end system, that it is unplayable. No tweaking in whatever setting helps, drivers are up to date, there is a clear problem with the game that needs to be fixed asap and makes me wonder how the hell the game was allowed to be released like this in the first place.

jeremygrim
27th Aug 2011, 15:35
Also, earlier someone had asked for some proof that the stuttering issue was a big deal that lots of users were experiencing, because apparently for a lot of people in this thread, being able to run the game well themselves means no one else is having issues with it.

So here you are:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119684&page=7
7 pages
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075294&page=17
17 pages
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2079329
7 pages
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/944090-deus-ex-human-revolution/60125813
2 pages
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/deus-ex-human-revolution/show_msgs.php?pid=944090&topic_id=m-1-60138068

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2076750

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33592346

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/944090-deus-ex-human-revolution/60114619

These are just a small handfull of threads filled with people who are all experiencing the same exact issue. If you don't believe there's many more, google it. And this is all only the people who use the exact word "stutter" to describe it.

It's an issue, I'd say.

libindi
27th Aug 2011, 15:35
Indeed, I haven't had ANY issues besides high SSAO causing FPS drop when staring at a wall. Other than that it's been a smooth ride. I know there are some quest progression bugs but you guys will no doubt fix those in time.

Being a PC gamer where there are countless or variables, you should have the patience to try out suggestion if there's a problem with your game. On consoles finding the problem is easier for the developer as the hardware and software they run is fixed, there are no variables. More often than not 90% of the -technical- (not quest/gameplay bugs) problems can be fixed by the user themselves.

The FPS drop when staring at a wall with high SSAO seems like a driver issue to me, but normal SSAO looks better anyway, so it's really not a problem for me.

Its the black ops thing all over again,some people dont have problem,but many does,and admin claim only a few people have that problem,just look at that post about stutter,its the most replied and viewed post right now,and even more on steam forum.

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 15:38
Listen to me. Hundreds of customers are having this exact same issue. Customers with completely different computers, with different programs running, and from different places. This is very obviously an issue with the game. You're basically saying "if it's possible for a customer to find a work-around and get the game to function as it should have in the first place, then there was nothing wrong with the game at all". That's just simply not true. Even if there is some sort of sure-fire way to fix the stuttering problem so many people are having (and i don't think there is), that doesn't mean it isn't a problem and it certainly doesn't mean it's the customers faults.

What i am saying is that its not a 100% issue thats happening for everyone.. Quite a few who have reported it have also said they've found a tool or app they running that was causing a clash, we LISTEN to that and see if there is anything we can on our end (ignore function calls made to certain things etc). Your original post asked us to acknowledge if the stuttering exists, and we can see there are many saying they have the issue and we've been trying to recreate it inhouse. We are committed to this game, we wouldnt be posting if we'd just shipped a game and thought right next game.

This is why drivers get updated all the time, nvidia/AMD constantly work on things, and they DO break things, many famous cases in the past, how many times do you see game forums littered with `AVOID DRIVER XXXX` etc.. this is something out of our direct control, all we can do is ensure if we learn anything we communicate with all parties to see if a solution can be found.

Deus Ex has had an absolutely HUGE release, dont know actual numbers, but have heard many cliches used over the last few days.. So whilst YES there has been issues for a few people out in the gaming community we're trying to make sure everyone gets the experience they want.

Syvere
27th Aug 2011, 15:41
Its the black ops thing all over again,some people dont have problem,but many does,and admin claim only a few people have that problem,just look at that post about stutter,its the most replied and viewed post right now,and even more on steam forum.

I'm not saying there's not a problem. I'm sure there is. All I'm saying is to at least try the suggestions people give and you haven't tried it already and give the development team some time to try to find the culprit. The game has been out for less than a week after all.

Also I'm sure some of the people complaining might be using a pirated version with a flawed crack, so not every user's comment is reliable either.

What i am saying is that its not a 100% issue thats happening for everyone.. Quite a few who have reported it have also said they've found a tool or app they running that was causing a clash, we LISTEN to that and see if there is anything we can on our end (ignore function calls made to certain things etc). Your original post asked us to acknowledge if the stuttering exists, and we can see there are many saying they have the issue and we've been trying to recreate it inhouse. We are committed to this game, we wouldnt be posting if we'd just shipped a game and thought right next game.

This is why drivers get updated all the time, nvidia/AMD constantly work on things, and they DO break things, many famous cases in the past, how many times do you see game forums littered with `AVOID DRIVER XXXX` etc.. this is something out of our direct control, all we can do is ensure if we learn anything we communicate with all parties to see if a solution can be found.

Deus Ex has had an absolutely HUGE release, dont know actual numbers, but have heard many cliches used over the last few days.. So whilst YES there has been issues for a few people out in the gaming community we're trying to make sure everyone gets the experience they want.

So true. Keep up the good work and thanks for delivering one of the best game (if not the best) in YEARS. Actually to show support to you guys I even bought multiple copies of the game. 5 Collector's Editions, 4 Augmented, 1 Nordic Edition and 1 Digital Augmented (that's 770 euros). This was a game I have been waiting for 11 years and with proper PC version I thought I'd really try to give my support to you guys.

EDIT: And I know that might sound excessive, but there's only one thing I'm a fan of and that's Deus Ex. Actually I doubt you'll have a bigger fan than me. If only I'd be able to get a poster or a cover of the game with signatures from the dev team, my collection would be complete. :)

libindi
27th Aug 2011, 15:43

Thank you,thats all i need,knowing DEV are aware of this issue and fixing it,i can wait a few days,even weeks.

david75sk
27th Aug 2011, 15:50
admin take a look. Screenshot taken while playing.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2042/beznzvu1m.jpg

Core 2 Duo E8200 @3,20GHz, 4GB RAM, GTS450 1GB DDDR5

Game is not using my computer... :/

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 16:07
admin take a look. Screenshot taken while playing.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2042/beznzvu1m.jpg

Core 2 Duo E8200 @3,20GHz, 4GB RAM, GTS450 1GB DDDR5

Game is not using my computer... :/

The `history` of the CPU shows both getting used quite a lot, you've alt tabbed out to tax the screenshot so the game has paused in the background.

i do have a name too? its not just `admin` :)

Driber
27th Aug 2011, 16:14
and admin claim only a few people have that problem

quote?

libindi
27th Aug 2011, 16:21
The `history` of the CPU shows both getting used quite a lot, you've alt tabbed out to tax the screenshot so the game has paused in the background.

I beleive he is showing the memory usage,in win7 the system took 1.1gb ram,and the game only use 700mb ram in my system,and based on other peoples test,the game only use 178mb vram,the game accessing HDD way too much,cause stutter,also uneven cpu usage is reported,most by 4 core cpu user.

TROOPER181st
27th Aug 2011, 16:25
I ll try to stay on topic...

What i meant to say in one of my previous post was:

i think the developers are working behind the curtain to solve the stutter issue's we are all having.
i hope they would give us the gamers community aka the consumers just a little hope that they do acknowledge the stutterproblem by saying " yes we are aware of the stutter problem, we are working on it".. and i really believe they are aware now. Maybe they didnt noticed it by testing it maybe they are on a holliday after all that long work and enjoying a well deserved vacation.. i dont know. But at least take it serious that alot people are having this issue..

You cant ignore it because, we have giving you a whole lot of feedback in different threads, posts, forums etc. on different forums. Even friends i know who bought the game and waited a long time for it are telling me the same while they are not reading the forums.. strange isnt it?

People who complain always think that they are the majority... while there are in fact just a couple of people..
But in this case it isnt, there ARE a whole lot of people who are having troubles, and are not complainig just to complain..but are having problems with the game.
It would be very annoying that the troubles we are reporting, would be ignored by admins or developers ( and on a good note iam not saying that you are ignoring, let that be clear!!).

Just a friendly; " we are reading we know it now, thnx for the feedback, we are going to solve it" would be more than enough.

Offtopic : as soon someone post a fix, work around solution .. i try it, i research it apply it and hope for it to work.
i have alot of patience for it..i am not stupid, i can reconize when something is a problem and when it is not. i am analyzing posts from people with different PC rigs and i am aware that there are alot of us having exact the same problem. i in fact acknowledge this is a big problem and not simple of an issue from just a couple of people who just love to complain.

Anyways google Deus Ex Human Revoltion stutterring, and you will admit that it is a big issue especially annoying that it is happening to a AAA+ game

libindi
27th Aug 2011, 16:27
I think the problem is similer to the loading time bug,before the patch,the game use too few ram when loading,after the patch the game use all the system resource to load,its much much faster,maybe the dev need to figure out how to make the game use more system resource during the gameplay.

TROOPER181st
27th Aug 2011, 16:33
ow and ps admins, great that you guys are reading this thread and offering some answers appreciate it alot..its nice to know you guys are trying to help -and try to give our feedback back to the developers

david75sk
27th Aug 2011, 16:33

OK, Driber, it was taken when alt-tab was pressed, so it is image of how it was used by the game. An its very low usage. Any other game is using 95%-100% of both cores all the time. And I noticed when I have HUGE stutter almost like a 1-2 sec freeze both cores shows very low usage...

And some comparsion of performance: Win XP - 50FPS, Win 7 DX9 - 40FPS, Win 7 DX11 - 32FPS on same settings in same scene. Both OS are fresh installations on same HDD, using same drivers.

Something is wrong with this game, like it was with Black Ops.

Driber
27th Aug 2011, 16:37
^ You address me, yet you're quoting Jay :nut:

Jay, you wanna take this one? :D

david75sk
27th Aug 2011, 16:40
sorry, I didnt noticed you are two or more :D

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 16:48
OK, Driber, it was taken when alt-tab was pressed, so it is image of how it was used by the game. An its very low usage. Any other game is using 95%-100% of both cores all the time. And I noticed when I have HUGE stutter almost like a 1-2 sec freeze both cores shows very low usage...

And some comparsion of performance: Win XP - 50FPS, Win 7 DX9 - 40FPS, Win 7 DX11 - 32FPS on same settings in same scene. Both OS are fresh installations on same HDD, using same drivers.

Something is wrong with this game, like it was with Black Ops.

to compare cpu usage to other games is very misleading. Games dont do things the same way.. i play flash games and it takes 100% of my cpu!! for a FLASH game, yet i can play limbo and it doesnt hit 50%.. :)

How are you running the different os's on the same hardware? dual boot? virtual machines or you actually have 2 identical pcs with 2 different os's on :) again everyones experience is different i get better performance on my main gaming setup at work running DX11 then i do in the DX9 renderer.

The stutter obviously would register as a lull on the cpu history, cos its not doing anything at that time, what is causing the stutter is what we're wanting to work out tho..

supersheep3000
27th Aug 2011, 16:53
Stutters here too.

Win 7 64 bit
4GB ram
HD4870x2
2.3Ghz Duo Core

It's not game breaking, and it's not constant but you can see it quite clearly in some areas. It's more like a framerate drop than a stutter I guess.

david75sk
27th Aug 2011, 16:54
Yes I have dual boot.

numinous
27th Aug 2011, 16:56

What part of my post gives you the impression I'm not reading many threads? I've sat here for 3 days barely able to STOP reading threads, trying to get the game to work. I also wasn't implying that you aren't doing a good job or the patches aren't on point (although, hello, these issues were brought up several months ago when the leak came out - the patches were probably pre-made thus not requiring much time) - I'm saying it's annoying that you're giving suggestions when YOU don't seem to be reading many threads. It's not a problem we can fix.

I don't think you understand what the actual problem is. I've already pointed it out but I'll bold it to further clarify.

THIS PROBLEM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FRAME RATE

Okay? The problem is, as new assets are loaded, the game FREEZES. As in; ZERO FPS. As in, IT LOCKS UP CONSTANTLY WHENEVER A NEW OBJECT ENTERS THE FIELD OF VIEW.

There's a lot of information in the threads here and on Steam about it so I won't explain it much further - suffice to say (and I'm not trying to be uncivil) you aren't clear on this particular game-breaking issue and should speak to tech and link them to the threads about "STUTTERING" so they may find a fix.

numinous
27th Aug 2011, 17:00
I do appreciate you guys responding to the thread though, so thanks for that.

Cloakmachine
27th Aug 2011, 18:05
I think what people are trying to say is,

All other games that they have in their possession run perfect. The only gaming problem they have is this particular game, and most issues are coming from when the game is rendering something for the first time, when someone is turning around and such.

It's not a driver problem or anything else when every other game performs as they should.

However, I have to side with the developers here and say, just wait for a patch. It'll come eventually. The game was just released.

Mrmonkey2
27th Aug 2011, 18:31
However, I have to side with the developers here and say, just wait for a patch. It'll come eventually. The game was just released.

Isnt that the world upside down... I didnt pay for a game to have to wait for a patch that eventually comes, the fact that the game was "just released" only makes you think that it maybe it should not have been yet.

Cloakmachine
27th Aug 2011, 18:33
Isnt that the world upside down... I didnt pay for a game to have to wait for a patch that eventually comes, the fact that the game was "just released" only makes you think that it maybe it should not have been yet.

Well I am not going to disagree with you on that one. They could've had many more tests with different setups, I agree. I would've gladly waited a bit longer so I could play it without a problem from the beginning. :D

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 18:43
Well I am not going to disagree with you on that one. They could've had many more tests with different setups, I agree. I would've gladly waited a bit longer so I could play it without a problem from the beginning. :D

Hm if you guys waited til we tested on every conceivable setup and software permutations then you'd never see the game :) No matter how many compatibilty sweeps we would have done it would have been dwarfed instantly on release. Every single computer playing this game is unique, you can have the same hardware and same OS etc, but no way does that mean your pcs are the same :)

Arksun
27th Aug 2011, 18:44
Count me in on the stuttering issue, mostly occuring upon entering a new area, almost like it hadn't quite finished loading yet but wanted to save on loading time by just dumping us in there first.

Tis a shame, hopefully will be smoothed out in a future update. 6 gigs of ram should be enough for this not to happen really.

Quickjager
27th Aug 2011, 18:47
Hm if you guys waited til we tested on every conceivable setup and software permutations then you'd never see the game :) No matter how many compatibilty sweeps we would have done it would have been dwarfed instantly on release. Every single computer playing this game is unique, you can have the same hardware and same OS etc, but no way does that mean your pcs are the same :)

Don't say that it isn't that good of an excuse, and might just serve to antagonize people on this forum as they might take it as a lackadaisical attitude towards the problem.

Cloakmachine
27th Aug 2011, 18:49

Well, I have what you could call a stereotypical gaming rig. It has an i5-2500K and a GTX560Ti. 2 very common things you'll see when someone makes a gaming computer nowadays. Not saying everyone will have it, but alot of them will.

Either way though, I'm not an impatient man at all. I'll just wait for things to get solved.

Driber
27th Aug 2011, 18:58
Don't say that it isn't that good of an excuse, and might just serve to antagonize people on this forum as they might take it as a lackadaisical attitude towards the problem.

What Jay says is absolutely right. It's impossible to test every single variable. No game developer is capable of doing this with the open and rapidly changing nature of PC's.

Even if it *would* somehow be possible, by the time the game hits the shelves, there are already new graphics cards and new driver versions out there which could cause the bugs.

This is not "waving off the problem" or putting the blame at someone else, it's merely stating a fact that it's simply impossible to make a 100% bug free game. This is nothing new.

There will always be some that take what we say out of context or misunderstand what we say. Can't stop that.

Mrmonkey2
27th Aug 2011, 19:38
What Jay says is absolutely right. It's impossible to test every single variable. No game developer is capable of doing this with the open and rapidly changing nature of PC's.

Even if it *would* somehow be possible, by the time the game hits the shelves, there are already new graphics cards and new driver versions out there which could cause the bugs.

This is not "waving off the problem" or putting the blame at someone else, it's merely stating a fact that it's simply impossible to make a 100% bug free game. This is nothing new.

There will always be some that take what we say out of context or misunderstand what we say. Can't stop that.

There are multible threads some with many pages about this problem, hardly something that is occuring on a few systems that the game wasnt tested on...

Secondly, its hardly a small bug, its a fault in the code which makes the game unplayable as it is for many ppl, not rly something you can contribute to "one of the small bugs in the grand sheme of things which you can never prevent for all pc configs out there" (something on itself I even do not agree with, I can give you a list of games and developers who have a reputation of releasing near bugfree games constantly)

neilthecellist
27th Aug 2011, 19:54
I've got a six core AMD processor, the most powerful video card of the GT400 series (with an aftermarket cooler, heat never goes past 39 degrees celsius), 16 GB of RAM, and 1 TB of hard drive space in the fastest RAID configuration possible. Yet this game stutters like crap, does not support 3D on NVIDIA solutions without a registry tweak that doesn't even enable FULL 3D, the game crashes every 2 or 3 hours from a memory overload (SERIOUSLY? WITH SIXTEEN GIGABYTES OF RAM, what the fu....)

The engine they developed DX:HR on is crap. Utter, garbage. Even the Unreal Engine would've been a better candidate, and I HATE the Unreal Engine.

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 20:16
I've got a six core AMD processor, the most powerful video card of the GT400 series (with an aftermarket cooler, heat never goes past 39 degrees celsius), 16 GB of RAM, and 1 TB of hard drive space in the fastest RAID configuration possible. Yet this game stutters like crap, does not support 3D on NVIDIA solutions without a registry tweak that doesn't even enable FULL 3D, the game crashes every 2 or 3 hours from a memory overload (SERIOUSLY? WITH SIXTEEN GIGABYTES OF RAM, what the fu....)

The engine they developed DX:HR on is crap. Utter, garbage. Even the Unreal Engine would've been a better candidate, and I HATE the Unreal Engine.

So from your reasoning most games out there are utter garbage and crap since the Unreal engine is one of the most commonly used engines out there, and powered the game of the year batman (that crap too?) :)

drewho
27th Aug 2011, 20:20

Totally spot on.
This issue must have been noticed multiple times before release but ignored, it was even like it in the leaked alpha from months ago.
Pc hardware even at the highest level can nope cope with constant streaming of assets from hd's, but i think the problem with the engine is even deeper than that, the excuses of "it's hard developing for multiple pc configurations" is pathetic, plenty of devs manage it no problem....that's the skill of being a pc dev.

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 20:28
Totally spot on.
This issue must have been noticed multiple times before release but ignored, it was even like it in the leaked alpha from months ago.
Pc hardware even at the highest level can nope cope with constant streaming of assets from hd's, but i think the problem with the engine is even deeper than that, the excuses of "it's hard developing for multiple pc configurations" is pathetic, plenty of devs manage it no problem....that's the skill of being a pc dev.

at what point have i said its an excuse.. its stating a fact. There IS an infinite amount of PC's out there. .and i can GUARANTEE that even your favourite games that YOU run without issue on your `beast` pcs will have forums filled with people unable to run it and crashing and having issues.. thats just the pc industry unfortunately, its very fractious. We're TRYING to get things sorted, and with the help of people who post information about their setups and things they've tried that worked etc it all points towards areas to look at.

Lifesupporters
27th Aug 2011, 21:13
My game can stutter in an elevator or a vent if I try to turn around quickly so I don't think this is an issue only with large open areas.

The one thing I will say though is that stuttering so far only seems to be present when not in combat. I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that you're looking around less and more focused on what's in front of you but I can't recall even once stuttering issues when in the heat of battle.

Syvere
27th Aug 2011, 21:59
Have you guys tried this:

Next step was to change windows power management to Performance and CPU to always 100%.

In that setting, it also changes PCI Express Link State power management to off.

Game is stuttering hardly at all, and no crashes.

lessthanjack
27th Aug 2011, 22:04
i completly agree that this is an issue with the game engine and not just another fps issue but is anyone else having issues with tutorials not showing up and the pause screen not going away when i resume as well as having the stuttering thing

TROOPER181st
27th Aug 2011, 22:08
Have you guys tried this:

Unfortunatly it doesnt work... :(

Kohokz
27th Aug 2011, 23:28
I am experiencing the same lag in new areas that I am moving too, and its drops the frame rate of my screen from 60fps to around 10 to 15 its very annoying, it really stops the momentum of the game that should feel fast, I have an m17x R2-I7920xm-5870x2-256ssd-4gigs of 1333mhz ram and I am running 11.8 catalyst with cap2 profile, I know I run all my other games very well to amazing, I have also tried turning off SSAO and all the extra perks of having a dx11 pc and I still experience the lag it happens for about 5 seconds and is very noticeable, moving from the subway stations shows the lag from the chiron building to the limb medical facility shows the lag, moving anywhere that requires a load from the game to the ram is showing lag......at a loss here. I really do not want to play the game anymore until this is fixed because its ruining the experience, so far the narrative of this game is amazing, but the technical part of the lag is killing my tactical espionage jollies for this game

ZakKa89
27th Aug 2011, 23:44
I onnly have stuttering during takedowns. Really weird because my FPS is really high

tet5uo
28th Aug 2011, 00:02
You guys aren't being very constructive with the insults to the devs.

Might as well go post as much info on the issue and your specs in the thread related the stutter and hope they can figure it out.

They've already shown they want to keep fixing the game's issues with the super fast patch fixing load times.

Woopzilla
28th Aug 2011, 00:14
I think the reason people are 'insulting' the admins here is because they seem to be a little too dismissive/defensive on this issue.

It's just that considering the huge amount of varied systems that are experiencing this problem, it wouldn't have taken them too long to discover this problem. This (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119684) thread shows that the system specs can be virtually any random combo of hardware in order to succesfully reproduce the error. On one page you can see a person having tested four of his rigs and one of his friend, and they all have the exact same issue. This proves that the odds of encountering the problem are way too high for it to be a rare issue. So people just grow annoyed when the 'infinite system setups' argument is used.

Arksun
28th Aug 2011, 00:18
Can anyone else confirm that Deus Ex HR is using a fixed amount of system ram on their PC?

Mine is only using about 400mb of ram, with 2.7gb spare, just doesn't seem to want to utilize more, which strongly suggests the source of my stuttering.

It kinda makes sense, whenever I move into a new area of the map it stutters for a little bit. Makes me wonder if its doing the same for GPU memory too, not utilizing it all.

Perhaps suggesting its thinking of the PC like a console, with a fixed lower main memory and gpu memory?

Quickjager
28th Aug 2011, 00:32
Can anyone else confirm that Deus Ex HR is using a fixed amount of system ram on their PC?

Mine is only using about 400mb of ram, with 2.7gb spare, just doesn't seem to want to utilize more, which strongly suggests the source of my stuttering.

It kinda makes sense, whenever I move into a new area of the map it stutters for a little bit. Makes me wonder if its doing the same for GPU memory too, not utilizing it all.

Perhaps suggesting its thinking of the PC like a console, with a fixed lower main memory and gpu memory?

It was confirmed in another thread... not sure which I think the loading one, that the game is using a fixed amount of RAM, one person's theory was that the game was constantly pulling info out of it's folders and thus never actually spiked, another was that the way the files were setup meant that the RAM was never able to be fully utilized. Both of these seem bit flimsy theories in my opinion.

But yea the reason people are tossing out these insults is because (probably) you guys keep using the same lines, especially on a issue where people find it unbelievable that a problem that is widespread was never run into during testing.

or you could be more buisness like and formal which might make them the same, or stay casual and they will too, (I prefer casual).

Daz1967
28th Aug 2011, 00:36
I'm also experiencing the what I call "shuddering" as opposed to stuttering, although I'm learning to live with it for now. It isn't ruining the game but it still annoying as my specs far exceed even recommended requirements for this game.

The issue is actually very similar to the issue that F.3.A.R. had before it was fixed in a patch so I'm hopeful that it can be addressed in DX:HR too. The game runs at 60 fps about 99.99% of the time but the shuddering/jerkiness kind of gives the impression of a lower framerate. My GTX 580's memory usage is around 500-600 MB out its 1,500 MB. I have a Core i7-920, 6 GB of memory and Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

jeremygrim
28th Aug 2011, 02:19
I'm glad everyone is posting their specs / hardware to help the dev team fix the problem, but I seriously doubt this is a problem that is happening with very few system. It seems to be an engine / coding problem in the way the game handles loading the game world. I think they know exactly what's wrong, and I fear it's a more difficult fix than we'd like to think. Could be weeks, months. If it ever comes.

zeropride
28th Aug 2011, 03:21
stuttering happens on poor console ports. bl:ops for example. pls fix this damn issue thanks.

brucek2
28th Aug 2011, 03:40
I'm not experiencing this issue, but will provide my system specs in case it helps triangulate the circumstances: i7 920 @ 3.5 GHz; GTX 460; 6GB RAM; Intel SSD 320; Asus Xonar D2X (sound card); Win 7 x64; Augmented version purchased via Steam.

I hope this gets fixed, I can see its bothering a lot of people. Good luck!

david75sk
28th Aug 2011, 05:45
jaycw2309 DEHR runs on your computer fine. You have onboard audio or dedicated soundcard?

Because there is one common thing on stuttering problem. Most of us have onboard Realtek HD Audio.

Like my friend. He has C2Q,4GB RAM, 6850 (or 70) and have no problem with this game. But he has Sound Blaster Audigy.

cyborg34572
28th Aug 2011, 06:12
jaycw2309 DEHR runs on your computer fine. You have onboard audio or dedicated soundcard?

Because there is one common thing on stuttering problem. Most of us have onboard Realtek HD Audio.

Like my friend. He has C2Q,4GB RAM, 6850 (or 70) and have no problem with this game. But he has Sound Blaster Audigy.

I dont think it is the onboard realtek audio, because the game still stutters even if you disable it in device manager, if it was the realtek chip/drivers then the stuttering would go away when its disabled.

My motherboard ofcourse has a realtek audio chip, but i have it disabled because i use a fatal1ty x-fi soundcard, even then the game still stutters. Also tried disabling the x-fi card and using my megalodons maelstorm engine, and i still get no positive results. The stuttering has nothing to do with sound hardware/drivers for me.

david75sk
28th Aug 2011, 06:17
tried to disable onboard audio in Bios and problem still persist... Maybe game doesnt like certain chipsets, or keyboard mouse :D omg so sad.

My specs:
C2D E8200 3,2GHz
2x2GB 800MHz DDR Kingston Dual Channel mode
GeForce GTS450 1GB DDR5
ASUS P5K Pro
onboard audio
Hitachi HDD 250GB
LG DVDRW

Windows XP Pro & Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
latest drivers for everything
in Windows XP Pro I have installed only service pack 3, updates, drivers and steam with the game. Cleanest installation you can find. And still poor performance and stuttering. Game itself runs on 40-70FPS.

My problem looks like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFyW1Sa7Cuo maybe even worse.

I have played leaked beta and there was same problem. I was hoping that developers can fix it in two month... guess I was wrong. http://steamcommunity.com/id/dav1d90

Driber
28th Aug 2011, 06:49
I warned earlier in this thread that slam posts are not welcome.

We already explained that we are stating facts, not making excuses or belittling the problem.

Yet this is (willingly?) being disregarded and our posts are still being used as a springboard for more accusations/bashing. So if you guys rather have us not say anything at all, fine.

Anyway, the OP's question has been answered and there is a main thread about this issue, so...

closed.

Ps. I would just like to stress that also this thread contains posts which are confusing the issue at hand (real stuttering vs. big framerate drop). Please try to keep these 2 things separated to avoid clouding the issue and making it harder for the devs to pinpoint the bug.

Ps.2 Thanks to everyone who did contribute here with constructive posts :thumb: