PDA

View Full Version : Game isn't starting

nsane
27th Aug 2011, 05:48
ok heres the deal. i apologize for bad grammer/spelling. I preodered the game on steam like the 22nd or so. Pre-loaded the game, got all that done. Came home from school the next day, hit play, nothing happened. Two days later and still nothing. Yes i've uninstalled and reinstalled steam and the game, all my drivers are current. Believe it or not a made another user account made it admin access. Logged onto it started steam, and the game started right up. So I figured it must be a program running the background. The programs running on the secondary profile are the same ones running on my main, yet the game will not start on my main user account. i've been talking to steam for 2 days about this, and i'm not getting anywhere yet. Is there anyone else that can offer me insight as to something I might be missing on my main account? thx

nsane
28th Aug 2011, 04:59
bumping this, i still need help. even resorted to wiping my gaming harddrive, and that didn't work. going to wipe my os if this keeps up. this shouldn't be that hard to fix, someone else has to have run into this problem before, any insight? anyone

Fasterkatt
28th Aug 2011, 05:09
... made another user account made it admin access. Logged onto it started steam, and the game started right up.

The issue right there :). The game includes a redistributable package of directx which runs on first start up of the game to ensure all the correct versions of the files it uses are present (almost all games on steam include such packages). I'm going to assume this is the problem it's running into, being unable to continue due to not being run as an admin. You could try browsing to the folder Deus Ex is in (...Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex - human revolution\) right clicking dxhr.exe and selecting Run as administrator. Hope that helps :).

nsane
28th Aug 2011, 05:43
well my main user account is admin, so it should work regardless, but yes I tried this step a few days ago and never worked. If this helps at all, its not just deus ex im having problems with, its dirt 3 as well. I just bought that the other day as well. and one more piece of info. when I hit play, my status goes from online to in-game, then about 5 seconds later goes back to online status.

Fasterkatt
28th Aug 2011, 05:48
I see :(, when you mentioned making a new account and making it an admin I assumed the other account was ran as a regular user, my mistake. I'm trying to think of what else the issue could be...

nsane
28th Aug 2011, 05:56
I see :(, when you mentioned making a new account and making it an admin I assumed the other account was ran as a regular user, my mistake. I'm trying to think of what else the issue could be...

yeah, i've spent 5 days trying to make this work on my main account, i really don't want to have to wipe my os drive but it may come to that. I have never had a problem with a game until now. firewall is completely clear, accepts all steam hl2 everything valve related. disabling anti virus didnt work. disabling firewall didnt work. verifying game cache. reinstalling the game, reinstalling uninstalling and repairing microsoft C++ redistributable 2008. so far nothing. yet on the secondary account no problems. I just don't get it. i know i've said that 1,000 times but I don't. This is a real brain teaser. Not to mention steam support has stopped responding to me :(

Fasterkatt
28th Aug 2011, 06:09
Does it throw up any errors at all or does it just sits there silently not doing anything? If nothing at all does it show up in the task manager?

nsane
28th Aug 2011, 06:24
Does it throw up any errors at all or does it just sits there silently not doing anything? If nothing at all does it show up in the task manager?

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3200/screenshotwk.png
that's what i get after i hit the play button, and i've tried both setup and play. neither one budge...on my main. and yeah after i hit play on it, just sits there and nothing happens afterwards

Fasterkatt
28th Aug 2011, 06:33
I see :(, really wish I could think of what the heck was going on with it, this will probably bug me for a few days as well now lol. I know how it is wiping a drive just in the hopes of getting something to work :thud:.

nsane
28th Aug 2011, 22:17
I see :(, really wish I could think of what the heck was going on with it, this will probably bug me for a few days as well now lol. I know how it is wiping a drive just in the hopes of getting something to work :thud:.

lol its been :thud::thud::thud: for me all week

jaywalker2309
28th Aug 2011, 22:30
The fact the game runs absolutely fine on the other account on the same machine says the issue is entirely software based, something that runs on your account (may not be software but a setting even) is causing the issue.. :( do you see anything in the event viewer? (eventvwr.msc)

nsane
29th Aug 2011, 02:00
The fact the game runs absolutely fine on the other account on the same machine says the issue is entirely software based, something that runs on your account (may not be software but a setting even) is causing the issue.. :( do you see anything in the event viewer? (eventvwr.msc)

ok, so far i havnt found anything when i try to start deux ex. but im getting the same problem with dirt 3. and with that im getting this. not sure what it means. I keep hitting play on steam for deus ex. and refreshing event viewer and nothing is coming up. and im lookin in applications...not sure why nothing is coming up
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7453/screenshotmu.png

Fasterkatt
29th Aug 2011, 03:09
That issue with Dirt 3 seems to stem from problems with games for windows live. After looking it up for a bit seems some possible fixes for it are to ensure you have the latest updates from windows update (including updates to the .NET framework), and to try installing the GFWL installer as administrator, can get it here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=128962

Hope that at least fixes the Dirt 3 issue, as for Deus Ex i'm hunting around for a solution. Only thing I can think of at the moment is seeing how a new admin account works fine, would be to create one and use that as your primary account from now on?

nsane
29th Aug 2011, 03:30
That issue with Dirt 3 seems to stem from problems with games for windows live. After looking it up for a bit seems some possible fixes for it are to ensure you have the latest updates from windows update (including updates to the .NET framework), and to try installing the GFWL installer as administrator, can get it here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=128962

Hope that at least fixes the Dirt 3 issue, as for Deus Ex i'm hunting around for a solution. Only thing I can think of at the moment is seeing how a new admin account works fine, would be to create one and use that as your primary account from now on?

great getting a new error on dirt 3 with gfwl. but i'll worry about that later