PDA

View Full Version : Completely different crash/lockup

Veritaas
27th Aug 2011, 04:59
After 5-30 minutes, my game will totally lock up and give me a grey/tan artifact covering the entire screen and my sound will loop until I restart my computer. I cannot alt tab, pull up task manager, or bring up the windows menu. I have tried:

Running IN DX11 (won't even start, crashes off the bat)
Validating files
Turning off AA as well as turning all settings to low.
Running as a different user.
Setting Steam/DE to use different cores.

My specs:
i5 2500k @4.3ghz
6950 2gb
4GB ram
w7 64bit

For the record I had a similar crash in Divine Cybermancy a few weeks ago, and Hitman: Blood Money would always freeze up for about 10 seconds every 10 minutes or so (but not crash). However, running something like Metro 2033 or Crysis 2 causes 0 problems. I'm able to play without a hitch entirely.

sizmike
27th Aug 2011, 07:50
I've got the same problem. Random crashes from approx 10 to 40 min apart, complete lock up with brown textured verticle lines or sometimes black, the sound is looped. Alt-ctrl-del does nothing, have to power down and reboot. I get no errors whatsoever after lockup and booting.

Also the game doesn't save my changes made to key mapping, so every time i re-start i have to change my keyboard button mapping in the game.

I have no LAN proxy,

Iv'e tried:

-making a new Windows user account and running game through steam.
-lowering overclocks on GPU/ CPU to stock values.
-running with DX 11 off (in the game menu).
-different resolutions in game and native windows.
-many other graphics settings in game.
-verifying cache with steam
-defragged HD

Windows 7 64bit
Asus P7H55M-Pro
i5-661 4.1Ghz
Radeon HD 5850 overclocked 820mhz mem 1225
AMD Catalyst 11.8 drivers
DX 11
6GB RAM PC 1333 DDR3
Acer G245H monitor

Veritaas
27th Aug 2011, 15:19
Thank god someone else was having the issue.

Tovi
27th Aug 2011, 15:57
This just started happening to me after first updating my drivers and then playing Deus Ex. Not sure what the culprit was but the way I fixed it was by manually setting my fan to 50% in catalyst for my 5870.

One thing I am sure of though is I'm never buying ATI again

Veritaas
27th Aug 2011, 17:14
This just started happening to me after first updating my drivers and then playing Deus Ex. Not sure what the culprit was but the way I fixed it was by manually setting my fan to 50% in catalyst for my 5870.

One thing I am sure of though is I'm never buying ATI again

Wow, this fixed it for me! I thought heat may have been the problem because it was reaching temps of 90 and then fan speeds weren't increasing...