PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 3 go/no go?

McGunnin
27th Aug 2011, 04:03
OK, I loved the first DX, loved and hated the 2nd DX. So I am curious how the 3rd DX is doing. For old DX fans does it live up to the original?

A few deal breakers for me.....

Is the ammo the stupid retarded universal ammo cells like in 2nd one?

Do you have much freedom to roam around or are the maps really small like 2nd?

I read in a thread there are no melee weapons... really... you have blades int he arm right, can you use it liek a normal melee weapon?

Out of curiosity is the game very sandboxy? Can you drive vehicles, are there multiple cities you can visit. Is it more like DX 1 or the new Fallout as far as freedom goes?

Dentrick
27th Aug 2011, 04:07
OK, I loved the first DX, loved and hated the 2nd DX. So I am curious how the 3rd DX is doing. For old DX fans does it live up to the original?

I read in a thread there are no melee weapons... really... you have blades int he arm right, can you use it liek a normal melee weapon?

Out of curiosity is the game very sandboxy? Can you drive vehicles, are there multiple cities you can visit. Is it more like DX 1 or the new Fallout as far as freedom goes?

No universal ammo. Every piece of ammo is special in its own magical way.

The city hubs are quite large and a couple of the missions feature some really huge open space like in DX-1. Most missions are inside building spaces, however.

The game uses takedowns. Hit a button when they're close and someone dies/is knocked out. It consumes an energy bar.

I thought it was an excellent game overall and did the memory of Deus Ex 1 justice.

Danik0226
27th Aug 2011, 10:11
I was a huge fan of the first Deus Ex, and I played through it multiple times. Dues Ex: HR takes all the great things about Deus Ex and adds more features on top of it. I am very pleased with this game, and I think it could be a contender for GOTY.

AironT
27th Aug 2011, 11:43
DeusEx 1 is one of my faverite games. I don't like Invisible war (I even can't call it "Deus Ex") cuz there are many things, but DeusEx Human Revolution I think it's the best succesor of the original DeusEx 1 in present time. It's modern game with a lot of details and awesome atmosphere, I've already love Human Revolution, and maybe even more than DeusEx 1.

p.s. If someone didn't know, there is another one good old game in DeusEx world. It calls Project Snowblind (there was a time when this game called DeusEx Clan Wars). It's not rpg, just a shooter, but I think for DeusEx fans it's a good chance to know more about DeusEx world ;)

Oddness
27th Aug 2011, 13:00
HR is more like Invisible War than DX. The maps are a good size and ammo is like any normal game again, but the core of the game is more similar to IW and even worse in some aspects.

ZakKa89
27th Aug 2011, 13:23
HR is more like Invisible War than DX. The maps are a good size and ammo is like any normal game again, but the core of the game is more similar to IW and even worse in some aspects.

BS. It's 10 timesbetter than IW and it feels just like de1 with some improvements. Game is amazing

CarpeNukemXVIII
27th Aug 2011, 13:24

No, the game does not have universal ammo like IW did. Every weapon type has it's own ammo.
The locations you go to, be them city hubs or otherwise, are all quite large and feature multiple entry and exit points. The levels are very well designed too
And finally no, there are no melee weapons. You can take enemies down using the blades on your arms, but that requires energy.
Depends on what you mean by sandboxy. It's nothing like GTA or Fallout. No driving, but you do get two city hubs that are decent sizes and with tons to explore. The game very much resembles a mix between the original DX, MGS, and Mass Effect.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with the game, and think it's the best in the series.

JCpies
27th Aug 2011, 13:31

:scratch:

Oddness
27th Aug 2011, 13:38
BS. It's 10 timesbetter than IW and it feels just like de1 with some improvements. Game is amazing

Right, just like DX1, only without any melee weapons or combat, without any skills or any items to give you options outside of the simplistic aug system, without mutually exclusive upgrades so there aren't any hard choices, without ammo types, without lasting damage or injury, without lockpicking or swimming or hacking individual turrets/cameras/bots.

And I suppose things like regenerating health, third-person cover, contextual takedowns that you can trigger from five feet away, an always-on radar that shows you not only where enemies are but what direction they're facing, or an overabundance of upgrade points are all "improvements"?

Oddness
27th Aug 2011, 13:44
:scratch:

Invisible War had a better biomod system (i.e. you could just choose one per category, like Deus Ex, and it had black market biomods to find), melee combat and weapons, shadow-based stealth, unique weapons.

PrinsJonis
27th Aug 2011, 13:46
Play HR if you don't mind being invincible, even at the hardest difficuly.

Play HR if you want to kill bosses without even firing a single bullet.

Play HR if you want an autoregen aug that costs nothing and kicks in while you're fighting.

Don't touch HR if you want a harder game than Deus Ex 1.

JCpies
27th Aug 2011, 14:01
Simplistic aug system

It's more complex than the original two games, plust it gives you more freedom. It doesn't restrict you, but it doesn't let you have everything you want at once.

Without ammo types

There's different ammo for each weapon...

Without hacking individual turrets/cameras/bots.

Have you even played this game?

Lirezh
27th Aug 2011, 14:35
If you loved DX 1 you will like DX 3.

It's not as great as DX1 in some points (sadly some important ones to me) but it comes close to it.
The world is not as "sandbox like" but you can see they had the right design guidelines.

The new cover system makes it a bit too easy, it's more powerful than any visual augmentation and doesn't take energy..
It makes fun to use the cover but also ruins the tension. You always know what's behind the next corner without being detected first and you can pre aim for head shots.
Same counts for the radar (even if not upgraded).

Also in Deus Ex it was a great feeling to find an aug canister and to see one more new augmentation choice.
In DX:HR you have a giant spoiler from begin on as you see the whole aug tree, I can't enjoy getting a Praxis point as much as when finding an aug canister in DX.

The world is not as interactive as it should be, DX1 was a lot more interactive. You can't interact with most objects and you can only open very few objects that are designed for it.

----------

My personal conclusion:
Human Revolution could have been a lot better than Deus Ex (better game mechanics, AI, voices) but some bad design decisions and the limitations of consoles made that impossible.
Deus Ex stays unrivaled so far.
But DX3 comes closer to DX1 than any other game.
If a game, in the past 10 years, deserved to be bought and played than it's Human revolution.

GreyTemplar
27th Aug 2011, 14:48
Without hacking individual turrets/cameras/bots.

Have you even played this game?

I believe he was actually referring to the use of a multitool to hack an individual turrent/camera/bot without the use of finding the console that controls security, and hacking it.

But in my opinion, and I'm not very far into the game, its a great game in it's own right. Has some likeness of DX in it. The control schemes could use a little work (ie, crouch and ironsights toggle only rather than having the ability to toggle OR hold)

deusfox
27th Aug 2011, 15:00

I love the first DX, played it inside and out when it first came out and continue to do so till this day.
Despite this, I could tell Invisible War was a radically different came, and when it was released I had little enthusiam for it, never even played in. Fast forward to 2011 and in the lead up to HR I purchased it on Steam and couldn't play it for longer then 20minutes, it was such a step back in so many ways.
HR heals the wound IW left, I'd say the two were nothing alike. I can't get enough of HR right now and hopefully you'll agree, only way to find out is to play it yourself though. However I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Oddness
27th Aug 2011, 15:00
It's more complex than the original two games, plust it gives you more freedom. It doesn't restrict you, but it doesn't let you have everything you want at once.

How is it more complex? And it does let you do everything you want. That's the problem. You can unlock 85% of all the upgrades, when you factor out the useless upgrade trees like Stealth Enhancer or Hacking Fortification you can be a master-of-all-trades. By the end I could hack anything with ease, get anywhere I wanted without restriction, sneak up on anyone and yet with upgraded dermal armor, strength, and accuracy could easily go toe to toe lugging around an entire arsenal of weapons.

Itkovian
27th Aug 2011, 16:50
If you loved DX 1 you will like DX 3.

The world is not as interactive as it should be, DX1 was a lot more interactive. You can't interact with most objects and you can only open very few objects that are designed for it.
[/I]

That's not really true, unless you only look at it proportionally. In that case, yes, in DX most of the objects were interactive, while in DXHR few of the visible objects are actually interactive (the vast majority cannot be manipulated). But there are VASTLY, VASTLY more objects in DXHR than in DX. I'd go as far as say that the maps feel like the most "lived" in maps in any game I've seen.

Clutter is absolutely everywhere, and it all makes sense. You can even learn about the people living in a given office by examining the objects laying around. It's bloody good work, and far more immersive and satisfying than having just a plant and a mug in an office.

As for DXHR: GO. It is definitely an excellent game, and is worthy of the Deus Ex name.

Itkovian