PDA

View Full Version : Could we please have HD Cut Scenes?! [PC version]

Aus_Gamer
27th Aug 2011, 01:24
My only criticism of this game? The horribly compressed cut scenes. The HR's art direction is just so beautiful that it is quite jarring at times to be presented with low res artifacting cut scenes during the course of the narrative, which is quite a contrast to all the lovely HD trailers Eidos/Square put out in the lead up to the game.

I would love it the dev's could make HD versions of those cut scenes available for us to download. I am not suggesting that it be a mandatory patch via steam as some people might not want to download massive patches, but simply if the relevant files could be made available via alternative download servers so that they could applied manually.

I am not bothered whatsoever by the potential size of these replacement files (I have more than enough bandwidth and HDD space), but in my mind it would really take HR to that final point of perfection. :worship:

Graeme
27th Aug 2011, 01:52
I'm no expert, but wouldn't that mean longer load times? I think we can all agree that those are long enough already.

Ashpolt
27th Aug 2011, 02:00
I'm no expert, but wouldn't that mean longer load times?

No, it wouldn't. The cutscenes in this game are rendered, and so just stream from your hard drive (or disc, if you're playing on console) the same as any other movie file.

Nitrius
27th Aug 2011, 03:05
This would be nice as i think that the game looks better when playing than when the cut-scenes are playing, so something should be adjusted there.

dimljajvbu
27th Aug 2011, 03:29
Why not have them in-game, rather than pre-rendered.. That way they'd look just like the rest of the game, and not be so jarring? Presumably that's how they were created to begin with, anyway...

cartridge
27th Aug 2011, 03:38
Yeah, I'm pretty sure those cinematics were rendered to be consistent with the console graphics. A real-time render would be a much easier update to push than pre-rendered HD movies that will be GBs in size.

danomite
27th Aug 2011, 03:42
+1
Oooo, I would very much like optional HD download for the cut scenes. I do believe the producers of Kotor2 did something similar for Kotor II back in the day and it was great improvement, and I'd expect to see the same sort of improvement here by doing so aswell!

Aus_Gamer
27th Aug 2011, 04:14
Yeah, I'm pretty sure those cinematics were rendered to be consistent with the console graphics. A real-time render would be a much easier update to push than pre-rendered HD movies that will be GBs in size.

Recoding those parts of the game to replace movies with in-game rendering is going to be a hell of a lot more work than simply releasing the uncompressed cinematics. In all likelihood they already have those pre-rendered movies archived in HD format before they were compressed, so it would simply be a matter of making them available in the correct file format.

StingingVelvet
27th Aug 2011, 06:58
This is a continuing source of annoyance for me in games, these compressed to hell 720p cutscenes that look much worse than the normal game. It's not even a console port issue, I have seen many PC exclusives do the same thing. It's all about keeping file size low.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed had lovely uncompressed cutscenes... and people complained about the file size of the game. So there you go.

Aus_Gamer
27th Aug 2011, 07:46
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed had lovely uncompressed cutscenes... and people complained about the file size of the game. So there you go.

Too bad it had no other redeeming features. Quite possibly one of the worst ports I have ever encountered. :nut:

City Builder
27th Aug 2011, 08:18

That's why it should be an optional download. You can't complain about the file size of the game if you chose to download an optional package that has the HD movies. Well, I suppose some people will still complain that they want the HD videos but they are too large :nut:

Aus_Gamer
27th Aug 2011, 08:26
That's why it should be an optional download. You can't complain about the file size of the game if you chose to download an optional package that has the HD movies. Well, I suppose some people will still complain that they want the HD videos but they are too large :nut:

Sure sure, I think that "optional" is pretty much what I am asking for, and I would have no hesitation in downloading them even if it meant downloading an extra 10 gigabytes :gamer:

Brockxz
27th Aug 2011, 08:30
I also want HD cutscenes because the difference between cutscenes and ingame is so obvious that i can't understand why they made those lowres prerendered cutscenes at all when they could just make them ingame and it would look a lot better.

justalookinggl
27th Aug 2011, 09:29
I still did not have the time to actually play the game...But....for god's shake they have only 720 compressed cinematics....I guess that must take out the immersion while playing at 1920x1200 at full aa and af and then going back to 1366x768 but...also compressed....? If i am not mistaken when you compress video files,even with the best codecs like matroska and xvid there is a lot of color loss ,what is usually called wash out....Oh bummer...I remember Advent Rising-One of the best games i have ever played where,while playing at full hd you constantly saw xbox 1 640x480 resolution cutscenes....

I only hope some of the devs actually check these forums and try to bring us a patch for the pc version.I am 100 % sure they must have the uncompressed files of the movies so...Just add them in a huge patch-That will also fix a lot of low detail textures...Please !!!!

finc.Loki
27th Aug 2011, 14:40
I hope they will do this for us.

It's such a shame to see low graphics in the cut-scenes where usually the pivotal moments happen in story telling.
It's jarring to say the least.

The game looks pretty good when playing, it used to be the cut-scenes was really high quality and the in-game play not so much.
If they have them uncompressed and in HD, why not do us that favour and just let them be downloaded as an option.
It won't hurt, and even if the file would be huge, so what the Witcher 2 patches in the beginning was 9 GB large, ha ha.
For a couple of fixes.

Aus_Gamer
28th Aug 2011, 13:46
Bump :naughty:

flipperflopper
28th Aug 2011, 15:03
[ lol ] The cutscene quality reminded me of something like tomb-raider from '96 [ /lol ]

Aus_Gamer
30th Aug 2011, 11:22
Double bump :naughty::naughty:

Jason Parker
30th Aug 2011, 11:34
Did you guys check your codec/video Card settings? Modern video cards usualy offer quite good video postprocessing to fight artifacts and such. The reason I ask is that I am playing in Full-HD on a TV Screen and have yet to see artifacts during the cutscenes (though it is well possible that my TV's doing a good job with his optimizations aswell).

Anyhow what bothers me more regarding the cutscenes is that their lighting differs from the ingame scene far too often.

Andreas Photiou
30th Aug 2011, 13:35
Triple bump :).

jimmy2x2x
30th Aug 2011, 17:09
I would really love to see this happen, along with a HD texture pack.

I seriously doubt it will.

Once the bigfiles are opened, the textures might be an option...

Lirezh
30th Aug 2011, 21:58
Blame the xbox and eidos for sticking to the policy "must look the same on any platform"
Instead of offering bluray for PC and PS3 with better textures and good looking videos they stick to one DVD.

lukeman3000
30th Aug 2011, 23:19
There's no way that we're getting real-time game-engine cutscenes at this point.. That would take way too much work.

The best we could possibly hope for is for eidos to release higher resolution versions of the pre-existing cutscenes, which should have been done in the first place. Seriously, wtf?

Andreas Photiou
31st Aug 2011, 05:34
Blame the xbox and eidos for sticking to the policy "must look the same on any platform"
Instead of offering bluray for PC and PS3 with better textures and good looking videos they stick to one DVD.

If you remember in the days of Deus Ex: Invisible War, certain countries got the DVD while the rest of us got the 2CD release. Not sure if the DVD was released after the 2CD version though.

We can only hope :).

LAP87
1st Sep 2011, 13:25
I also want HD-cutscenes, what is this!?
So bad, really bad.. Eidos, listen to your customers!

MooseOnFire
1st Sep 2011, 13:57
I would like to see HD cutscenes also. There is currently a pretty dramatic difference in resolution between the cutscenes and in-game visuals.

Aus_Gamer
6th Sep 2011, 12:15
I could have sworn that I bumped this thread the other day :nut:

Kadayi
6th Sep 2011, 12:21
+1 as well. If they were made available as an optional patch I'd be most pleased. Loving the game, but the low quality really is noticable on big monitor.

ninnisinni
6th Sep 2011, 12:36
+1

This would be great, since in their current state the cutscenes are rather more annoying than cool, which seems sort of wrong... should be pretty easy for the devs to fix though...

Andreas Photiou
10th Sep 2011, 21:22
I could have sworn that I bumped this thread the other day :nut:

Me too lol :D.

Senka
10th Sep 2011, 23:57
+1, probably won't happen but you never know.

Giuseppe
11th Sep 2011, 01:30
I would love it the dev's could make HD versions of those cut scenes available for us to download.

:thumb:

Eidos Montréal, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-e025FlPY) is a concise but accurate analysis of the low-res cutscenes issue.

Aus_Gamer
11th Sep 2011, 05:21
:thumb:

Eidos Montréal, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-e025FlPY) is a concise but accurate analysis of the low-res cutscenes issue.

A very accurate summation. I wonder how many views and user posts we need before Eidos take notice? :hmm:

unbeatableDX
11th Sep 2011, 05:35
who cares that the graphics aint HD. im ashamed of you lot. i take it you never played DX1? gameplay over graphics b!tches

Aus_Gamer
11th Sep 2011, 06:03
who cares that the graphics aint HD. im ashamed of you lot. i take it you never played DX1? gameplay over graphics b!tches

We aren't complaining about the gameplay, but the graphics add to the immersion. Hurrrrr durrrrrr.

DX1 graphics? I guess by that logic we should never strive for anything better (or fix something which is certainly very easy fix) because software development has progressed past DX1 over the last 10 years.

I guess you don't have anything better to do than troll a very reasonable thread request? ****

unbeatableDX
11th Sep 2011, 06:13
I guess you don't have anything better to do than troll a very reasonable thread request? ****

this game has many other more important problems that people should be complaining about other than HD graphics. get outa here graphics whore

Senka
11th Sep 2011, 07:26
this game has many other more important problems that people should be complaining about other than HD graphics. get outa here graphics whore

...dude, it's a request to have something fixed. Don't **** all over it because there are other things to fix, we bloody know that. No, it's not the most important thing, yes I have played the original, you're still a prick.

unbeatableDX
11th Sep 2011, 07:28
...dude, it's a request to have something fixed. Don't **** all over it because there are other things to fix, we bloody know that. No, it's not the most important thing, yes I have played the original, you're still a prick.

that made me smile for once, instead of rage. have a happy little face :)

justalookinggl
11th Sep 2011, 09:31
I finally played the game a bit to see how it runs and...while the game runs perfectly a full 1980x1200 and full aa and af the cutscenes look worse than the actual gameplay....I am not going to start about the low res textures everywhere....but at least release the uncompressed cinematics as a seperate download and improve some of the textures in an upcoming patch....PLease

Giuseppe
11th Sep 2011, 09:37
get outa here graphics whore

Yeah, get out! That's his cave!

The Crux
11th Sep 2011, 12:37
I'll chime in - please add HD cutscenes! And while you're at it, maybe correct the colours. The shift in colour and contrast between ingame and cutscenes is really weird for most of the cutscenes.

Dan Hot
11th Sep 2011, 15:38
+1 for HD Cut Scenes!

daemonjax
11th Sep 2011, 16:18
They could release it as an optional download via torrent, so they wouldn't have to pay for the all the bandwidth.

justalookinggl
12th Sep 2011, 11:08
They could release it as an optional download via torrent, so they wouldn't have to pay for the all the bandwidth.

Yes other developers do this ,for example the devs of Rise of Flight ...

duckydy
12th Sep 2011, 11:43
Would love hd cutscenes. Hope the dev's take notice!

P.O.A.T.
3rd Oct 2011, 06:36
Hey, Eidos.
You know what takes a half an hour and pleases fans?
HD FMVs, that's what.
What's that in you hand? Money, from people buying your dlc's because they want to support the game that gave them such a great modding community. Because they released an SDK.
I'm never not asking for this.