PDA

View Full Version : ATI Radeon GT 4870 shadow line glitch :(

SomaMech
27th Aug 2011, 00:00
http://i.imgur.com/fUSYt.jpg

This is an irritating glitch that seems to have cropped up with the retail version. An acquaintance with a 100% identical system to mine didn't experience this glitch in the leaked version. I've actually experience this shadow glitch in Darkfall Online but nobody (the developers or ATI) have never bothered to fix it. Considering DX3 is a AAA title, I have more hope that this will be rectified!

Anybody else experiencing this?

Tommando
27th Aug 2011, 01:09
Is the line moving with you, like it's always a set distance in front of you? What do you have texture filtering set to? I saw something similar when I tried to set texture filtering to anisotropic; it went away when I switched texture filtering to trilinear.

supersheep3000
27th Aug 2011, 03:22
Same problem here. Never happened before today, though.

supersheep3000
27th Aug 2011, 03:32
Ok, switching to Trilinear sorted it, but my card is more than capable of handling it x16. Surely there's a fix for this?

SomaMech
27th Aug 2011, 10:19
Ok, switching to Trilinear sorted it, but my card is more than capable of handling it x16. Surely there's a fix for this?

Definitely seems to be an issue with anisotropic texture filtering. Are you using the 4870? If it's a glitch limited to a single graphics card then we should probably accept that it'll never be addressed! It's hardly game-breaking; just disappointing.

Schokoxx
27th Aug 2011, 14:01
I'm also having the glitch and I seriously hope that it'll be fixed. It becomes even more obvious, ugly and annoying later in the game.
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/954/grafikfehler.jpg

Please Eidos. Fix this!!!

supersheep3000
27th Aug 2011, 16:11
Definitely seems to be an issue with anisotropic texture filtering. Are you using the 4870? If it's a glitch limited to a single graphics card then we should probably accept that it'll never be addressed! It's hardly game-breaking; just disappointing.

Yep. Might be a problem with the card. It's quite annoying, but I guess it's not a huge deal right now. I'm just a bit worried it's a problem with ATI rather than this game in which case I doubt it'll be fixed.

jaywalker2309
27th Aug 2011, 16:19
I'm also having the glitch and I seriously hope that it'll be fixed. It becomes even more obvious, ugly and annoying later in the game.
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/954/grafikfehler.jpg

Please Eidos. Fix this!!!

What settings you got set for AA etc? Graphics card? Drivers?

Would say the lowest 2 arrows are pointing to actual edges of textures that should be there as they follow the flow of the floor etc.. they arent like the other ones you showing..

supersheep3000
27th Aug 2011, 16:29
I'll put my specs down here, I'm having exactly the same problem.

Everything is on high,Texture Filtering was on x16, but bumping it down to trilinear stopped the problem. My card is 4870x2. Latest drivers.

Schokoxx
27th Aug 2011, 17:35
What settings you got set for AA etc? Graphics card? Drivers?

Would say the lowest 2 arrows are pointing to actual edges of textures that should be there as they follow the flow of the floor etc.. they arent like the other ones you showing..

Thanks for an answer!

I have a ATI HD 4870, drivers were updated today.

AA is FXAA High,
Shadows Normal
Depth of Field Normal
SSAO Normal
Post Processing On
Texture Filtering 16x
DirectX10

If I turn shadows off, or set texture filtering to trilinear, the lines disappear. But then the game doesn't look so nice. :hmm:

rek7
27th Aug 2011, 18:57
I have these lines too.

My PC:
Core i5-750
Radeon HD 4890 (update to date)
4GB DDR3
5400 RPM HDD

Everything is on Max Settings for a non DX11 card:
AA: FXAA high
Texture Filtering: 16x Anisotropic
Shadows: Normal
SSAO: High
DOF: Normal

Triple Buffering, VSync and Post-Processing are on.

drachers
29th Aug 2011, 16:17
This may not be working as there's so much blurry bloom effects in this game I can hardly tell, but forcing anisotropic 16x in the ATi control panel then leaving it trilinear in the game options might be the way to go. Generally has a negative effect on most games as it can force the card to do the texture filtering twice.

Can someone confirm? Looks fine to me, anyway. I'm on a 4870.

sapphi
29th Aug 2011, 17:27
Same problem here.

Phenom II 1090T
8GB DDR3-1600 (Corsair)
SSD (Corsair)
Sapphire HD4890 2GB (Catalyst 11.8)

Graphics settings on max with DX10. Haven't tried any workarounds so far besides lowering anisotropy and switching of DoF. Didn't help though, so back to max.

agris
29th Aug 2011, 19:39
Same problem as in the original post, a single yellow line on the ground.

Core i5
ATI 4850 (1 GB)
Corsair 8 gb ddr 1600
Win7 64
Catalyst 11.8
DX:HR patched

1920x1200
Shadows: Normal
SSAO: Normal
AA: off (in-game); driver forced 2x BOX
Texture Filtering: any in-game anisotropic gives the bug
Post-Processing: On
Vsync: ON
Triple Buffering: ON [bug with off, as well]

Interestingly, it appears that [B]only certain ground textures are affected by this. Example: head to central station and the ground textures there won't display the yellow line. Exit it and they do.

Like others stated, trillinear removes the bug. I will try driver forced aniso to see if this is fixed.

Perhaps related: in-game EDGE AA appears to have no effect. Driver forced (non adaptive) box (2x), narrow tent (4x) and edge (8x) all work.

EDIT: Driver forced aniso 'works' (tried 8x), i.e. doesn't give the yellow line. This bug appears related to the anisotropic filtering of shadows, like the OP stated. If you exit the north end of central station and look to the stairs on your left, there is a clear demarcation between the filtered shadows cast by the railing, and unfiltered. I say driver forced aniso 'works' because I'm not sure it's actually applying the filtering. In the same situation with the railing shadows, the filtering line appears to be ~15 feet in front of the player, no matter which type of AF is selected. Clearly, AF 8x or 16x should be extending the range of filtering further.

EDIT 2: In-game AF 8x or 16x produces the same near-field shadow filtering as driver-forced 8x AF. It does appear as if the ground texture is being filtered, just the shadows mapped onto it aren't until a very close range.