PDA

View Full Version : XP for *not* taking out people?

loudent
26th Aug 2011, 23:28
So I was getting through an area and I talked a guard into letting me buy. Then I used a non-lethal takedown and got 50xp (10 for takedown, 20 for non-lethal and 20 for "expedient" whatever that is).

As the number of Praxis we get is based partially on XP I'm wondering if that XP would be awarded to me at the end of the area or whatever. Otherwise it is always better to take down everyone. Just for the XP

Absolutionis
26th Aug 2011, 23:51
The "Ghost" XP reward is pretty much that. If you can get Ghost while knocking people out, all the more power to you.

nathanj
26th Aug 2011, 23:52
this game is extremely biased towards nonlethal fighing. its actually annoying. if you kill someone without being detected it should be the same as if you just knocked them out or tasered them.

the irony is that playing nonlethal is way easier but you still get bonus exp for it.

WhiteWi
27th Aug 2011, 05:27
it's not easier!!! you have to plan and execute. takes time and passions. that is why u get more exp. gun down every one is easy and prety lame. go play cod

Fireisprettyful
27th Aug 2011, 05:34
go play cod
how original...........

the game shouldnt have so much difference between non lethal and lethal imo non lethal cannot be that much harder than lethal to justify the points gap

NKD
27th Aug 2011, 05:50
I don't understand the differentiation here either. I can understand takedowns giving more XP than killing from range, because of the increased risk, but it shouldn't matter whether it's lethal or non-lethal. I don't like the game trying to enforce such a strict moral code. Achievements are fine because they are optional goals you can strive for over multiple playthroughs. But any playstyle that isn't non-lethal takedowns is penalized.

Now, it's not a huge penalty seeing as it would take like 200 kills to even rob you of 1 Praxis point, but it still gives the psychological effect that you're playing the game "wrong."

Risingred
27th Aug 2011, 05:51
If an enemy guard that is knocked out is detected, another guard will wake him up.

If an enemy guard that is dead is detected, he's still pretty much dead.

NKD
27th Aug 2011, 06:02
If an enemy guard that is knocked out is detected, another guard will wake him up.

If an enemy guard that is dead is detected, he's still pretty much dead.

In theory, yeah, but in practice, no so much. Generally speaking you're taking out all the guards who patrol a particular area one after another. They don't get time to patrol back and see the body. There are no surprise guards that patrol long routes that I've seen, either. I don't even hide the unconscious guards because there's almost zip chance of them being discovered unless you left another guard awake 5 feet away. And even then a lot of those are permanently facing one direction and will never turn around to see the body.

The risk of a guard being woken up is really small. I don't think it's worth the XP difference it gives.

Brockxz
27th Aug 2011, 06:50
In theory, yeah, but in practice, no so much. Generally speaking you're taking out all the guards who patrol a particular area one after another. They don't get time to patrol back and see the body. There are no surprise guards that patrol long routes that I've seen, either. I don't even hide the unconscious guards because there's almost zip chance of them being discovered unless you left another guard awake 5 feet away. And even then a lot of those are permanently facing one direction and will never turn around to see the body.

The risk of a guard being woken up is really small. I don't think it's worth the XP difference it gives.

^this. For now i'm playing only non-lethal takedown every single guard playthrough and it's pretty easy. There is no need to hide bodies because there is really rare chance other guard path will cross the path guard you took down previously and there is a lot of chest high walls to block the sight of body from others in that room. Also takedowns pause the game world so it's pretty much you need to plan only time to drag body behind nearest cover before someone else will face that spot you took someone down.
There is really no need to be different xp amount reward for taking it down non-lethally or lethally because the risk beeing detected is the same (it's pretty much equal to 0 if only you are really can't time guard patrol routes and screw things up everytime).
All in all I think guard patrol should have been implemented in a way that they randomize their path and don't go the same path in circles.

nathanj
27th Aug 2011, 07:07
i had to laugh at how stupid the takedowns were because im playing the game again and in the first level there are two thugs standing within a couple feet of eachother. one of them is yelling out the window and i "takedown" the guy guy right behind him by literally punching him, breaking his arm and flipping him over so he lands on the ground with a thud. but in the world of the developers apparently a 180 pound body landing on the ground with a thud shouldlnt alert the guy standing just feet in front of him. :)

i really hope someone finds away to disable or modify these cause they are really stupid.

Griseus
27th Aug 2011, 10:44
i really hope someone finds away to disable or modify these cause they are really stupid.

Yes, there is alot of dumb things, and "noiseless takedowns" are one of them.
And tip "think outside the box" is looking as a bad joke, as devs can't actually do this themselves.

Though, DXHR is much better than most of latest games, it is still unfinished and need alot improvements to become truly EPIC game of decade. But enough to take GOTY.

Lirezh
27th Aug 2011, 11:46
this game is extremely biased towards nonlethal fighing. its actually annoying. if you kill someone without being detected it should be the same as if you just knocked them out or tasered them.

the irony is that playing nonlethal is way easier but you still get bonus exp for it.

Exactly true, it really disturbs me that eidos did not see this issue earlier or that it wasn't fixed after the preview launch!

It's by FAR more easier to knock people out than to kill them and you get less XP for killing. Getting experience for a "moral" decision shouldn't be in the game as moral should completely be up to the player!

dimljajvbu
27th Aug 2011, 12:10
Yes, there is alot of dumb things, and "noiseless takedowns" are one of them.

Especially when the mini-cutscenes have a lot of "oof" "thud" etc. Yet people standing two foot away hear nothing. If he was clever, he'd *try* to do a silent takedown in these situations (when people might hear) and not the normal type. Or better still, the others would just hear, and doing takedowns in these situations wouldn't be viable.

Nitrius
27th Aug 2011, 14:50
How do you get the ghost xp reward if i may ask?

GreyTemplar
27th Aug 2011, 14:54
How do you get the ghost xp reward if i may ask?

Do not get detected at all. No suspicious (I believe) or alarmed status.

ReliantLion
27th Aug 2011, 15:27
I think a good compromise would be to use a multiplier system. Say, stealth starts at x5, non-lethal at x1, and lethal at x1. For each each non-lethal 'elimination' (i.e. take-down/stun/tranq), the non-lethal multiplier goes up 1, while stealth and lethal go down 1 (to a min of 1). There would be no way to raise stealth, but if you had 5 at the end of a mission (i.e. you attacked no one), you would get 5x how ever many guys were in the level time maybe 10 xp, or w/e. This way, the player is encouraged to play the game however he/she wants, but is also encouraged to take one path through a level. And the multiplier could carry over to the next level, except I guess stealth would reset to 5. I can't think of a good way to raise stealth, besides maybe securing cameras, sentry guns, etc.

WhiteWi
27th Aug 2011, 15:31
I left the body in police station because nobody was around and went to do my things. and boy was I surprised when after while I heard alarm sound because he was discovered. Yes it's weird when u take down a guy two feet away from other and he doesn't heart it. But remember devs limited buy consoles hardware!

Dentrick
27th Aug 2011, 16:43
Do not get detected at all. No suspicious (I believe) or alarmed status.

You can have those statuses, you just can't be seen.

popej
27th Aug 2011, 20:43
I've unbound the take-down key and I'm not worrying about Praxis points. So far it's a more enjoyable game, more like the original. You don't worry about take-down's so much if you can't do them without going into the options menu!