PDA

View Full Version : PC or console?

Rick24
26th Aug 2011, 22:07
I tried doing a search but could not find a topic, so apologies as I imagine this has most likely been discussed.

I'm trying to decide between purchasing the PC version of this game or the Xbox. I understand the PC version most likely looks better, but is it that noticeable? I have a decent PC that can run the game, but am in the mood to sit on my couch instead of at my desk for some gaming, as I have not fired up my xbox in years. Is there anyone here who has tried both versions and compared the differences?

Thanks,

Rick

bluefoot
26th Aug 2011, 22:12
If you have a decent DX11 capable graphics card, definitely go for PC.

The texture resolution and polygon counts are still quite poor (i.e. console-like), but the lighting, AA, texture filtering and tesselation do a brilliant job in DX11 mode of making a very limited console graphics engine much prettier.

ajd155
26th Aug 2011, 22:51
I tried doing a search but could not find a topic, so apologies as I imagine this has most likely been discussed.

I'm trying to decide between purchasing the PC version of this game or the Xbox. I understand the PC version most likely looks better, but is it that noticeable? I have a decent PC that can run the game, but am in the mood to sit on my couch instead of at my desk for some gaming, as I have not fired up my xbox in years. Is there anyone here who has tried both versions and compared the differences?

Thanks,

Rick

I'm going to disagree with the above poster. *In my opinion* the console version has much better looking AO (and far fewer bugs) and therefore feels less flat. The pc version simply put isn't worth it. Hopefully you have a mouse for the console, but it's not really a run and gun type game anyway so if you don't no biggie.

Syvere
27th Aug 2011, 00:56
I'm going to disagree with the above poster. *In my opinion* the console version has much better looking AO (and far fewer bugs) and therefore feels less flat. The pc version simply put isn't worth it. Hopefully you have a mouse for the console, but it's not really a run and gun type game anyway so if you don't no biggie.

Tsk, tsk. A console-fanboy trying to defend their version. First of all the codebase is the same for all versions apart from platform specific engine and rendering code. This means that bugs are the same for all versions. Now then there's the AO thing. Setting it to Normal is the same as in console versions whereas High is PC specific. PC version also has tesselation, better textures, higher quality shadows and depth of field, customizable FOV and resolution as well as higher quality AA options and texture filters. PC version also has native support for xbox 360 controller. Console version is inferior in all regards, also the game is cheaper on PC and you won't have to wait for MS or Sony to certify patches. If you have a capable PC there absolutely no reason to buy it for a console.

bat2com
27th Aug 2011, 01:17
Pc all the time, less load times (muuch less) better graphics, higher resolutions, and nothing can win a keyboard and mouse in a game with first person view.

Rick24
27th Aug 2011, 02:55
Thanks for the replies. Looks like PC is the way to go. I didn't think of the idea to hook up a controller to the PC and just hook it up to my TV.

Cheers

bat2com
27th Aug 2011, 03:12
The good thing of a console is that you turn it on, sit and just play, in a pc well not all the times is like this :P but in this game definitely is better a pc than a console.

Rick24
27th Aug 2011, 18:50
To anyone still curious about the comparison between the two, here is a short video I found showing the PC and PS3 versions side by side. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-aI4wBlTg

Beugnen
3rd Sep 2011, 23:35
First of all the codebase is the same for all versions apart from platform specific engine and rendering code. This means that bugs are the same for all versions.

thats a pretty big difference you know so its hardly the same codebase.

Beugnen
3rd Sep 2011, 23:39
If you have a decent DX11 capable graphics card, definitely go for PC.

The texture resolution and polygon counts are still quite poor (i.e. console-like), but the lighting, AA, texture filtering and tesselation do a brilliant job in DX11 mode of making a very limited console graphics engine much prettier.

perhaps, i think though their engine is not particularly optimised - when you consider all the other AAA titles on consoles that look better and perform better than DEHR.

for a console engine, its not making good use of said console which is a shame. perhaps they will update all platforms in the future.

ProdWithTheProd
3rd Sep 2011, 23:57
The good thing of a console is that you turn it on, sit and just play, in a pc well not all the times is like this :P but in this game definitely is better a pc than a console.

I had a go on an XBox 360 at a friend's house a little while back. We tried to play some NBA.

First, my friend had to log in to his XBox Live account.

Then, the game decided to start patching itself without asking permission. It got to 50%, and froze.

We tried again.

It got to 50%, and froze.

We tried a different game. In order for us to play 2player, I had to log in with my GFWL account. By selecting each letter and number slowly, one by one, using the gamepad.

When I got home, I turned on my PC and loaded up Steam. While Steam was logging in (which took no more than 10 seconds), I loaded up Firefox and started watching some youtube videos.

Then, with Steam loaded, I chatted with two of my friends at once, between rounds of TF2.

Quite frankly, the old "consoles are plug'n'play" thing is outdated. With the rise of digital distribution, PC gaming is far more convenient, and far more flexible.

LordWeasel
4th Sep 2011, 00:39
The SSAO effects are rather terrible as well, so having the option to turn them off is a good thing.

Edit: They do appear to be done far better on the consoles. I've heard that the 'Normal' SSAO setting on the PC is supposed to be the same as on the consoles, and it does look far better than 'High', but it also introduces artifacts in the form of shadowy vertical lines on some surfaces (confirmed by at least 1 PS3 player here on the forums). The SSAO also has a grainy smoke like effect that follows the camera, and is incredibly distracting.

ajd155
4th Sep 2011, 05:21
Tsk, tsk. A console-fanboy trying to defend their version. First of all the codebase is the same for all versions apart from platform specific engine and rendering code. This means that bugs are the same for all versions. Now then there's the AO thing. Setting it to Normal is the same as in console versions whereas High is PC specific. PC version also has tesselation, better textures, higher quality shadows and depth of field, customizable FOV and resolution as well as higher quality AA options and texture filters. PC version also has native support for xbox 360 controller. Console version is inferior in all regards, also the game is cheaper on PC and you won't have to wait for MS or Sony to certify patches. If you have a capable PC there absolutely no reason to buy it for a console.

Er, I don't even own a console. But I have seen it at a friends and it looks far better on the console than the PC. I have a decent PC so let's not open that can of worms argument.

It *doesn't* have better textures. Even at the highest settings you can see the texture res is the same ol' same ol'. The AO for the console absolutely destroys what we got for the PC, by far. Look at the video posted above. The console has a better range of tone (gamma) than the pc does. The pc version looks very flat and sort of grayish, with no true dark darks to speak of. (Weak.) I make my living doing graphics, and this is the first game I've ever seen that looks much better on a TV than a monitor, even with gamma and color tweaks. Sure you'll get better antialiasing on the pc, but really... who cares?

My advice for the poster... just rent it. It's a decent game but nowhere near the reviews it got. AI is weak, graphics are glitchy and/or stuttery, and even the consoles are having HUD issues. I wouldn't buy this if I could do it all over again. The combat is really sort of boring as well. I'm not even to the 2nd boss but the only difference so far in combat is now there are robots and sometimes guards walk 2 at a time. No big challenges here. Personally I don't hate the game but I don't think it's all that great to be honest.

Rivvik
4th Sep 2011, 05:55
If you're used to playing games on PC and have a rig that can run it at high settings, go PC. If your xbox isn't your main source of gaming gusto, also go PC.

I'm on Xbox, but I'd rather have a constant Framerate than high graphics (as was the case when I was an avid pc gamer). As well, I have no PC able to run the game at the moment.

Be forewarned: The console controls for this game are totally ridiculous. You can "LOL gb2 cod" all you want, but the controls for an fps on console were easily optimized in those fpses (even though I hate them due to playerbase, oh yeah Halo can go to hell too) and unlike the pc, the consoles were not given an option for customized controls (Eidos Montreal: Get on it...or I'll send you to a room...a room...WITH A MOOSE).