PDA

View Full Version : Remake the original.

zombieturtle01
26th Aug 2011, 21:52
Yeah I said it. Bring on the heat.

This game has blown away my expectations, this is a true Deus Ex game, I feel embarrassed for doubting this game in the past. Remake the original aesthetically and in terms of gameplay mechanics to fit the style of Human Revolution. So long as the same team works on it and it has the same story.

mad825
26th Aug 2011, 22:00
*sigh*

It's always the new people...This has been discussed and debated many times, remaking a game is more of a side project for modders who want a big name tag on their CV.

cartridge
26th Aug 2011, 22:03
Honestly, I would rather they make their own game, leading up to the events of DX1.

jaywalker2309
26th Aug 2011, 22:04
New people? he only joined the month after you hehe. but you are right it has been debated at length.. The modding community has been working on things which look amazing :)

bluefoot
26th Aug 2011, 22:15
I don't want to see a remake or a sequel to DX:HR until the new PS & XBOX consoles are out.

Reason being that it's not too long now, and it would be a shame to have the PC version so limited again (graphically speaking) by performance concerns of 6 year old console hardware.

Besides, there are plenty of bugs to be ironed out and features to be added to the current title, so those should all be resolved before the (vast majority of) the team moves on.

Charadesmith
26th Aug 2011, 22:32
No. Make a sequel to HR that bridges the gap between HR and the original

El Zoido
26th Aug 2011, 23:02
Just a few weeks ago the New Vision texture pack for DX has been released.
Then there's HDTP, they might eventualy finish that (personally I doubt it).

Together with a few other mods like DX Enhanced or Shifter DX can look (and play) much better.
While not exactly 2011 graphics it's still much better than vanilla DX.
So no remake, but at least kind of an update.

Shralla
26th Aug 2011, 23:12
I don't understand why all the talk of remaking the first one. Do we really want the first one to be streamlined down to the level of Human Revolution? And I can't believe ANYBODY would want to see the original "remade aesthetically" to fit Human Revolution. It would be stupid and pointless, and would serve only to diminish what made the game good in the first place.

zombieturtle01
26th Aug 2011, 23:15
Well I would like to see things reminiscent of HR in Deus Ex 1. Like Ebooks replacing real books, Enewspaper replacing real newspaper. Hacking redone. Flat Televisions and all that futurey crap reimplemented. And some of the art style still in, despite it being a more gritty, depressing and blue colored world.

*sigh*

It's always the new people...

Oh hey July 2010. Old timer!

PlasmaSnake101
26th Aug 2011, 23:24
I don't understand why all the talk of remaking the first one. Do we really want the first one to be streamlined down to the level of Human Revolution? And I can't believe ANYBODY would want to see the original "remade aesthetically" to fit Human Revolution. It would be stupid and pointless, and would serve only to diminish what made the game good in the first place.

Updated graphics would be nice, but it's better left to modders, Let professionals work on new titles. Seeing it remade aesthetically would be interesting though, are you not curious?

They should save HD remakes for Resident Evil 2. Also, instead of an HD release of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3, I wish they'd remake the game with the Metal Gear Solid 4 engine.

exmachinad
26th Aug 2011, 23:54

Agree completely. Despite old, DX is a classic. And like a classic movie, a remake would do no good to it.

Deltaslayer
27th Aug 2011, 00:06

This.

The_Audiophile
27th Aug 2011, 01:01
I'm not up for a "remake' of Deus Ex 1, but I wouldn't mind the original game released updated with better visuals, kinda what they're doing with Halo CE Anniversary.

Facebyface
27th Aug 2011, 01:04
The modding community has been working on things which look amazing :)
Last I checked, modding support has been avoided. I remember at PAX East hearing them dodge that bullet.

I don't understand why all the talk of remaking the first one. Do we really want the first one to be streamlined down to the level of Human Revolution?
I enjoyed playing through HR more than I did the original Deus Ex. The original holds more significance simply as a milestone, but I hardly think this sort of "streamlining" as to be comprehensive is bad. HR improved on quite a few things, mainly the hacking and sneaking aspects. I would not mind to see a mod team tackle it.

And I can't believe ANYBODY would want to see the original "remade aesthetically" to fit Human Revolution. It would be stupid and pointless, and would serve only to diminish what made the game good in the first place.
The aesthetics are not what made Deus Ex. Deus Ex has a relatively bland look to even games back then, honestly. Some nice creature designs, a few good set pieces, but honestly nothing visually striking. I do, however, think the look should be different from Human Revolution. There was intense thought put into the period of HR and everything about its looks originated from there. A DX remake would need a different style if only for consistency.

Jerion
27th Aug 2011, 01:10
Last I checked, modding support has been avoided. I remember at PAX East hearing them dodge that bullet.

He's referring to Deus Ex 1, not DX:HR. For DX1, there's a ton of mods that change up the experience. New Vision massively upgrades textures for example, Revision massively expands and enhances a lot of the level design, There are custom renderers for fancier effects like POM, HDR and Bloom. There's a new Multiplayer mod out there (or soon to be out there?) for DX:MP that brings a could of HR-inspired locales to the old classic, and Eidos Montréal is backing it. Project 2027 launched this year, bringing some other good times. It's fantastic stuff.

Facebyface
27th Aug 2011, 01:16
He's referring to Deus Ex 1, not DX:HR.
Well then that's not really any sort of news, is it? The thing about the DX toolset is that it's extremely limiting to major changes, and thus really all that can be tampered with are aesthetics. As I stated above, DX was not at all the most fun game to ever be made and there is a lot that can be said about minor changes to alter an experience. That's why I have a massive disappointment on all the devs for not believing in the power of modding and the people behind it. Disgraceful, if you ask me. Thus we are stuck with the only game like Deus Ex being Deus Ex 1, sitting by and simply settling for something that at it's core will never be as enjoyable as HR (IMO). Add bloom and HDR all you like, but you will never match up to graphical standards or just general size.

CoDEllite
27th Aug 2011, 02:07
If they remade the original using the new engine I would definitely hit that as right now original's superugly textures are a major turnoff to many gamers

danomite
27th Aug 2011, 03:46
If they remake the original and keep it inline with the general story for the original, I definitely buy it, I've quite enjoyed the new one.