PDA

View Full Version : DX 11 Crash, stutter, DX9 stutters worse

Arthur Hucksake
26th Aug 2011, 17:48
Really at my wits end with this game. It's so so good, but unplayable atm.

Running an i7 2600K, 8Gb Ram,240GB SSD drive for Steam, 2x 570 GTX SLI

When using DX11, the game crashes in certain points. For e.g, it crashes in the garden pods part of Heng Sha or randomly at other points. Usually a black screen with the dreaded nvlkddkdm error or i've had a dxhr.exe failed.

Tried 275.33 drivers and 280.26. Only two things the same that I can gather is the SLI profile.

I've ran 3D Mark 11 to double check, no problem.

I left MSI Kombustor running while I went out for an hour and no bother.

The game does seem to run ok in DX9 mode but it stutters badly.

Just cannot work out what else I can do to troubleshoot this game.

The crashing started either after the last patch or since i've got onto the Chinese city hub. Never experienced anything like this on the Detroit level and missions.

Any ideas what I can do? It's unplayable. The first game i've had problems with since I got this PC earlier in the year.

Arthur Hucksake
26th Aug 2011, 17:58
I kept logs of the GPU using GPU-Z. The weird part is, only 187MB is showing as used and even under "load" the hottest it gets is 54C.

Kombustor thrashes the cards upto 80C without error.

Really at a loss now.

The Arbitor
26th Aug 2011, 19:02
Hey just to say - I have almost the same setup except i only have the one GTX 570 and a 120 SSD. Have managed to get though the tutorial no problem but standing in the Sarif building Lobby i crash to desktop after 2-3 mins, i have also had 1 bluescreen: Bad Spool Header. The length of play time varies wildly and higher or lower graphics settings don't seem to produce any consistent change.

Hectick
26th Aug 2011, 19:14
If you cards are overclocked from the factory or otherwise, underclock them to regular stock speeds. I had your same problem, I fixed it by doing this.

Arthur Hucksake
26th Aug 2011, 19:20
If you cards are overclocked from the factory or otherwise, underclock them to regular stock speeds. I had your same problem, I fixed it by doing this.

But how could one single game topple something which is stable in every other aspect of use? It's crazy. Blast through Kombustor without breaking a sweat, 3D Mark 11, several games going back months including The Witcher 2.

nukedukem
26th Aug 2011, 19:46
I have exact same problem running i7 920, Radeon HD 6990 and HD 6970 in triple crossfire, DX11 works but always crashes to desktop after a time, usually when entering a new room, doorway, elevator, vent shaft etc. Disabling DX11 makes the crashes go away but the game stutters madly.

Arthur Hucksake
26th Aug 2011, 19:47
I have exact same problem running i7 920, Radeon HD 6990 and HD 6970 in triple crossfire, DX11 works but always crashes to desktop after a time, usually when entering a new room, doorway, elevator, vent shaft etc. Disabling DX11 makes the crashes go away but the game stutters madly.

What's the rest of your hardware? Using an SSD? Steam directory on another drive apart from C:? Realtek audio? What anti virus? Anything else running in the background?

nukedukem
26th Aug 2011, 19:50
I do have Steam located on a separate drive, SSD. I wonder if this has anything to do with it but I can't find any Deus Ex files in C: Documents such as saves etc, like a lot of other games.

nukedukem
26th Aug 2011, 19:55
Just did a search of the entire C: drive for "deus ex" and nothing came up. It seems all files including documents must be located in the Steam foldert on drive Z, so I don't know how this could be the problem...

jaywalker2309
26th Aug 2011, 20:18
Have you got ATI Tray tools?

Arthur Hucksake
26th Aug 2011, 20:37
Have you got ATI Tray tools?

No. nVidia owner. lol

Trying hard to see the funny side with this game atm.

Such a good game, spoilt.

lexcyn
26th Aug 2011, 21:25
This has been happening for me too after the latest patch. Before the patch I wasn't getting crashes, just stuttering. But now I am getting both.

It's getting annoying especially if I forget to save.

Intel i5 760, GTX 570, 8GB DDR3, Intel SSD, onboard Realtek sound

The Arbitor
26th Aug 2011, 23:16

left my card as it was out of the box - might have been factory overclocked i guess ...

I allso have Reltek sound which i have had problems with before - but i gotten specific graphic error messages so i'm messing with my drivers first

funkRush
26th Aug 2011, 23:32
No. nVidia owner. lol

Trying hard to see the funny side with this game atm.

Such a good game, spoilt.

You can use the ATI tool even with Nvidia graphic cards. It's just a tool for stressing the GPU like furmark.

reincarn
26th Aug 2011, 23:57
Yep same as first post.
Intel i7 960 12GB DDR3 GTX580 Installed in SSD.
DX11 -> After patch blank-screen crashes avery 2-3min.
DX9 -> works but shuddering is very annoying as it loads new areas. (even only walking 20m or so depending)

Reinstalled game
cache check
defrag
Latest driver.

Load times are now great.
Gets you to the next crash that much faster. :hmm:

PS I never overclock anything.

SmithRO
27th Aug 2011, 07:58
same for me here

The game keeps crashing to desktop every several minutes (no error, just stutters and quits to desktop), completely unplayable :(

Motherboard: s1155 Intel Z68/LAN Asrock Z68 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K/ 3.40 GHz
RAM: DDR3 PC10666 16GB (4x4gb) Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 CL9
VCard: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1280M ASUS GTX570
PSU: 800W Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold
HDD: Intel 120GB 510-series + 1TB Seagate ST31000524AS, Steam installed on a non-ssd

never overclocked anything
the OS is almost a fresh install, got zero problems running other games or software, tried installing different videodrivers, tweaking the game options - nothing, Deus Ex just keeps crashing again and again. disabling DX11 support makes the game stutter like hell when moving the mouse.

i also tried running the game on a macbook pro with Win installed via bootcamp(i7 2.0 + 4096 + Ati 6490M), the game runs ok, except i notice temporary stuttering and severe FPS drops right at the same moments my desktop PC would get a crash to desktop.
Ex:

* first level, the moment when Adam and Megan come to a lab door after a dialogue with Eric
* first level, the moment in the lift wit Meg up to the time when Pritchard enters the lift and talks to Adam about a firewall

dunno if this is moment-related or time related (i.e. time spent in the game), will find out more

Arthur Hucksake
27th Aug 2011, 12:59
Think i've fixed it.

Did a bios update, but also I set my CPU to perform at 100% all the time in power savings. Also in the performance setting it changed PCI Express link power state management to off!

Hardly stutters and I just played through from the medical facility right the way to Montreal. No crashing!!!

The Arbitor
27th Aug 2011, 14:14
hummm .... where's this bios update at then?

Arthur Hucksake
27th Aug 2011, 14:30
hummm .... where's this bios update at then?

Bios update was for my motherboard. Not sure if it was specific to the crashing though. I'm looking more towards GPU a power saving problem.

Got a friend to try it out who was also crashing, he hasn't crashed since. (Also an nVidia card)