PDA

View Full Version : High Resolution Texture Pack for PC?

geddiesburg
26th Aug 2011, 17:09
Hey All,

New here - quick question - is there going to be the possibility for a high resolution texture pack for PC players to download? It would really be greatly appreciated - and make the game look much nicer! Thanks all

Andrew

rsimeono
26th Aug 2011, 17:21
I think that the game looks very sharp on PC as is. The most important part is that stylisticaly the visuals are very athmospheric. Realistically speaking given that this is a cross-platform game there is hardly anything left ot be desired of the visuals. I can honestly admit that I am generally a "graphics whore" when it comes to gaming but the style and mood of Deus Ex HR cannot be ignored. I love it.

LtJamesWatts
26th Aug 2011, 17:30
Hey All,

New here - quick question - is there going to be the possibility for a high resolution texture pack for PC players to download? It would really be greatly appreciated - and make the game look much nicer! Thanks all

Andrew

I would like this very much as well.

Gameplay, atmosphere and sound is good but it could do with some higher res textures for the PC.

dimljajvbu
26th Aug 2011, 19:04
I agree, and am hoping for a Crysis 2-style high-res texture pack.

Lirezh
26th Aug 2011, 19:06
It's definitely required for anything larger resolution than a TV *cought*
Some textures become very blury when you come closer, that's not nice to look at.

geddiesburg
26th Aug 2011, 19:35
I think that the game looks very sharp on PC as is. The most important part is that stylisticaly the visuals are very athmospheric. Realistically speaking given that this is a cross-platform game there is hardly anything left ot be desired of the visuals. I can honestly admit that I am generally a "graphics whore" when it comes to gaming but the style and mood of Deus Ex HR cannot be ignored. I love it.

I agree the style is part of it - but there are some textures that are super low res. The high res will be laying around somewhere, why not release it? :)

MaceUk
26th Aug 2011, 21:48
Do you lot walk around and stare at the walls? I'm looking at the action or where I want to go next not comparing textures of game X and Y...

cartridge
26th Aug 2011, 21:57
The textures look pretty good to me. Here are some screen shots from my game:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6290/dxhr1.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8742/dxhr2.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2513/dxhr3.jpg
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/836/dxhr4.jpg

Keep in mind this is also on my laptop @ 60+ fps. :)

danomite
27th Aug 2011, 03:48
+1 for higher res texture pack!

Or make whatever tools would be needed for modders to do so are available to them!

TheYouthCounselor
27th Aug 2011, 03:50
I just want HD cinematics, or better yet, real time rendered cinematics. The textures already look great.

justalookinggl
27th Aug 2011, 04:04
I still have not picked the game.Are the cinematics not in full hd format ? For god's shake don't tell me they used compressed videos for the cinematics and after they finish you go back to 1920x1200 resolutions....That would look rather bad on a large 24-26 inch monitor...

..And about textures...They look great in screenshots....Don't tell me they left low res ones they used on consoles to keep the memory usage low instead of using everywhere hd ones ? At least this can be fixed very easily.Exactly the same problem was found in duke nukem forever,where after a huge patch they replaced all the low res ones with full hd textures...

dimljajvbu
27th Aug 2011, 04:07
The textures look pretty good to me.

Yeah, things look fine from a distance, it's when you get close to them they don't. Go nearer the pipes/boxes in your fourth grab, or almost anything in your second one, and see how blurry they become. Try and read any of the diplomas, little notes, console screens etc. Even the big blue screen in the background. These are the kinds of places the textures are really wanting.

StingingVelvet
27th Aug 2011, 07:03
The game looks fine of course but the textures are indeed really low res. Even Adam's shirt and belt are extremely low-res in dialog.

That said the game has a soft look in general, so it's not that noticeable most of the time.

LtJamesWatts
27th Aug 2011, 09:04
Just wondering, but do the devs actually read our posts cause if they don't then the patch thread as well as this one won't be even noticed and taken into consideration?

ocstew
27th Aug 2011, 09:14
Keep in mind this is a city environment so increasing the resolution of textures will send RAM usage sky rocketting.

justalookinggl
27th Aug 2011, 09:17
Well that was the reason i hoped the dev's really had taken their time with this game...I know ...I know it has already missed ship dates but really when i have a gazillion games to choose from and play,i don't need just another game to pass my time.In any case i really hope they continue developing the game and bring us a nice patch to address the various problems and shortcomings.

Zorvan
27th Aug 2011, 09:51
Keep in mind this is a city environment so increasing the resolution of textures will send RAM usage sky rocketting.

This is why it would be optional. Those of us with rigs that could handle higher rez who want higher rez textures and cinematics would use it, and those who's rigs can't, or who think the game is fine as is, won't. Everyone wins.

trick1992
27th Aug 2011, 09:54
Agree with what OP says as well-textures in this game looks very low-res.

raz3r
27th Aug 2011, 10:10
Textures are great, I don't need anything else.

Gvaz
27th Aug 2011, 14:08

The game barely uses any resources as it is. Whats 600 more megabytes out of 8GB (or more for some pc gamers)

Knight_Kin
27th Aug 2011, 14:16
Really I just want an improved lightning system, like self-shadowing and so forth (i'm sure the engine can already do it and that it's just not enabled). Now if we want to expand upon that further, you know what would be cool? Forget screen space ambient occulsion, how about direct ambient occulsion like the latest Crysis 2 patch enabled (that along with the hd texture pack is what makes it look extra good). The lightning bothers me the most, even more-so than some of the stiff animations. It's something that drove me utterly insane in fallout3 when that came out too.

The pictures shown above are a prime example of lacking in proper shadowing. You see no self-casting shadows on the actors there, but you do see some projected from objects on to other objects and actors so it's very selective (obviously done with consoles/performance in mind). It would be nice if the PC had an option to give "full" shadows that cast on everything, beyond just 'soft' for dx11.

Basically, give us some more advanced tweaking options, stuff to go beyond the recommended specifications (improved tweaking options of the shaders like the ambient occulsion as some have noted and the shadows casting on everything including self shadowing on all objects and actors). There are a load of PCs out there that can handle it and more.

finc.Loki
27th Aug 2011, 14:21
I actually think the graphics is pretty decent, the textures aren't bad.

If anything I would just want some HD cinematics that are not so heavily compressed.
I would've thought that the cinematics would be the best graphics but this is not the case oddly enough.

CoDEllite
27th Aug 2011, 22:13
YEAH cause game looks like total turd right now SO what gives? WHen is the hightexture pack coming out?

MaxxQ1
27th Aug 2011, 23:00
Hey All,

Andrew

Off-topic: Rush fan, maybe?

CHANCE-PHOENIX
28th Aug 2011, 02:26
nah , textures are okay ...
maybe some more bloom and added reflections perhaps.

btw. i"m experimenting with different enb mods to enhance this game.

sea
28th Aug 2011, 02:38
I honestly am not sure what's wrong with the textures. The game has a smooth and stylised look, yes, but the actual detail and resolution is just fine. Not every game has to have severe, gritty and drastic "omg so shiny" normal maps and parallax everywhere.

As for the cutscenes, they're pretty poorly compressed, but it's not that big a deal. They last all of about 10 minutes across the entire game.

ZakKa89
28th Aug 2011, 02:41
textures are sharp enough. no need for it.

AdorableMachineOfDarkness
28th Aug 2011, 02:57
Maybe it is my crusty old 4870X2, but I thought the game looked great! No slow downs, no chop, it was gorgeous!

MaxxQ1
28th Aug 2011, 05:11
nah , textures are okay ...
maybe some more bloom and added reflections perhaps.

No... good god almighty no!

Reflections, okay, I can deal with that, but bloom is the new lens flares - it's overused, it's overbright, it's annoying, and I wish it would go away.

Even when it was new, I hated it, and if a game has the option to turn it off, that's the first thing I do.

geddiesburg
28th Aug 2011, 05:56
So the reason I'm asking for a high res texture pack is it doesn't really require a lot of work. The dev team will have it already - it's just a matter of releasing to the community. When we start talking about lighting and effects, you're asking the dev team to start adding features that weren't necessarily touched before today.

I don't want the wheel re-invented, but I would love the chance to play without seeing really low res spots. Look at Dragon Age II - similar scenario. It didn't look top of class on PC, so they released a texture pack and everyone quieted back down... it really heightened the product offering.

TheYouthCounselor
28th Aug 2011, 06:08

Reflections, okay, I can deal with that, but bloom is the new lens flares - it's overused, it's overbright, it's annoying, and I wish it would go away.

Even when it was new, I hated it, and if a game has the option to turn it off, that's the first thing I do.

Oh God no!

Bloom isn't the cancer killing gaming and computer graphics, it's a contagious fatal virus spreading and infecting everything. When you look at a light source through either your eyes or a camera, the iris/aperture contracts smaller and allows you to make out the details. With bloom it remains a blindingly bright fuzz forever.

HDR, is okay but no to bloom.

lukeman3000
28th Aug 2011, 07:08
Honestly, I am a little baffled by the graphics of DX:HR. When I saw the in-game graphics for the first time (with pretty much every graphic setting jacked up to its maximum amount), I was pretty let-down. I mean, these graphics look almost on-par with Half Life 2! What is up with that?

I know this isn't Crysis, but I was under the impression that we had made some fairly significant strides in the past few years. I'll still enjoy the game, but seriously.. I built a gaming rig to enjoy the awesome graphical feats that a powerful pc can pull off, and I have everything turned up to max and am running around at 70-80fps with no drops whatsoever..

Daedatheus
28th Aug 2011, 07:15
I had no problems with in-world textures.

There are a few character model skins however, that looked pretty bad. These are very noticeable when you're staring right at them.

The only in-world textures that REALLY need some fixing are the 2D images they used for far-off objects in scenery. Some of these really just look like low-res cardboard jammed into the scene, and fail to give the impression of distance and scale that they're being used for.

lukeman3000
28th Aug 2011, 07:22
I had no problems with in-world textures.

There are a few character model skins however, that looked pretty bad. These are very noticeable when you're staring right at them.

The only in-world textures that REALLY need some fixing are the 2D images they used for far-off objects in scenery. Some of these really just look like low-res cardboard jammed into the scene, and fail to give the impression of distance and scale that they're being used for.

Have you seen some of the games that have come out within the past 2 years? The textures are sub-par. Polygon count seems pretty low. Lighting is simple. Overall it looks like a 2006 game, and that's not exaggerating. Considering that Crysis came out in 2007 and still looks as good (if not better) than many games today, I think that graphics are one area in which DX:HR really dropped the ball.

Thankfully, great gameplay can makeup for lackluster graphics, but I'm wrestling with other issues right now that are hampering my experience.

Things like:

1. Crackling sound in the menu
2. Delayed gunshot sound effects
3. Having to click twice in the in-game menu screens (such as when searching a body)

These are the main issues I'm having right now. If these are fixed then I will be happy

Enemy242
28th Aug 2011, 07:45
I used to want a high res texture pack too, but after playing it all the way through i really think it's not necessary. the art design in the game is so great and stylized, it really looks good even if there are some low res textures. i found myself literally staring at some pieces of the scenery (such as the convention center, the port office with the light streaming through the window and the shadows, man i must've sat there for 2 minutes, and many others) more times than i have in a lot of other games which are much more photo realistic. the design is really just so good that high res textures wouldn't even add that much, and even up close things like the offices look great (couldn't find blurry textures in any of them that i noticed, even the carpet in one i looked up close on) plus can you imagine a high res texture pack in the cities? especially hengsha, i can't even imagine a high res texture pack there not slowing down the game to a crawl (and i ran the game 50 fps constantly with everything maxed out on my gaming pc); anyone who is seriously still wanting a high res texture pack after going onto a roof of hengsha, looking at all the billboards, the streets filled with people, the rooftop gardens, the planes flying overhead, the metal and lights of the metal ceiling miles and miles above or looking down from a high level in upper hengsha seriously needs to stop being a graphics whore or go back to playing boring and bland crysis 2.

lukeman3000
28th Aug 2011, 07:54
I used to want a high res texture pack too, but after playing it all the way through i really think it's not necessary. the art design in the game is so great and stylized, it really looks good even if there are some low res textures. i found myself literally staring at some pieces of the scenery (such as the convention center, the port office with the light streaming through the window and the shadows, man i must've sat there for 2 minutes, and many others) more times than i have in a lot of other games which are much more photo realistic. the design is really just so good that high res textures wouldn't even add that much, and even up close things like the offices look great (couldn't find blurry textures in any of them that i noticed, even the carpet in one i looked up close on) plus can you imagine a high res texture pack in the cities? especially hengsha, i can't even imagine a high res texture pack there not slowing down the game to a crawl (and i ran the game 50 fps constantly with everything maxed out on my gaming pc); anyone who is seriously still wanting a high res texture pack after going onto a roof of hengsha, looking at all the billboards, the streets filled with people, the rooftop gardens, the planes flying overhead, the metal and lights of the metal ceiling miles and miles above or looking down from a high level in upper hengsha seriously needs to stop being a graphics whore or go back to playing boring and bland crysis 2.
First of all, let me correct you on something. You will not see very noticeable frame-rate drops with a high-res texture pack. I recently installed a high-res texture pack for Crysis 2, and my average fps did not take hardly any hit whatsoever.

Secondly, it's funny that you should mention Crysis 2, because its community demanded a high-res texture pack after the game was released. What's ironic is that you would expect Crysis of all games to already be as "high-res" as you would possibly want, but the truth is that it was not. And this is largely due to the fact that it was a cross-platform release (as is likely the same reason for many of DX:HR's problems).

Anyone asking for a high-res texture pack (or any improved graphical features for that matter) for DX:HR is certainly not a graphics whore. That is a very reasonable request, because by comparison, DX:HR is quite outdated. People have come to expect a certain level of graphical fidelity, and while some variance is acceptable (usually given the scale of the game), there is a point where it is not really excusable.

Also, Crysis 2 is neither boring nor bland. I am playing through the single player campaign and thoroughly enjoying it. It's true that neither the story or the gameplay is the best ever made (the story is far from it), but the gameplay is actually quite good.

Enemy242
28th Aug 2011, 08:11
First of all, let me correct you on something. You will not see very noticeable frame-rate drops with a high-res texture pack. I recently installed a high-res texture pack for Crysis 2, and my average fps did not take hardly any hit whatsoever.

Secondly, it's funny that you should mention Crysis 2, because its community demanded a high-res texture pack after the game was released. What's ironic is that you would expect Crysis of all games to already be as "high-res" as you would possibly want, but the truth is that it was not. And this is largely due to the fact that it was a cross-platform release (as is likely the same reason for many of DX:HR's problems).

Anyone asking for a high-res texture pack (or any improved graphical features for that matter) for DX:HR is certainly not a graphics whore. That is a very reasonable request, because by comparison, DX:HR is quite outdated. People have come to expect a certain level of graphical fidelity, and while some variance is acceptable (usually given the scale of the game), there is a point where it is not really excusable.

Also, Crysis 2 is neither boring nor bland. I am playing through the single player campaign and thoroughly enjoying it. It's true that neither the story or the gameplay is the best ever made (the story is far from it), but the gameplay is actually quite good.

I'm glad to hear that your gpu defies logic, but unfortunately the fact is a high res texture pack (if it truly is a high res texture pack and makes a noticeable difference) DOES cause an fps hit. the reason low res textures are often used is because it means when the game is loading the environments either streaming or at a loading screen, that it takes less time and is easier. from a normal distance the textures appear fine, but when you get up close they're blurry, and this tradeoff is to increase performance. if it didn't cause a performance hit then there'd be no reason for developers not to use high res textures (aside from disc size limitations). in a situation like HR's cities where the environment is insanely detailed and packed with different textures/items it would cause quite a performance drop (try turning AA and AF up to max in hengsha and then compare that to no AA or AF; bit of a difference due to all the work the computer is doing when it has to deal with fixing all those things).

The kind of people who play crysis 2 are the trigger happy/twitch shooter fans so i'm not surprised they demanded a graphics patch. that game is essentially made for graphics whores and i'd be surprised if a high res texture pack WEREN'T put out for it. it's a completely different type of game in that while hr pushes the boundaries of commentary, story, gameplay elements, freedom and choice, crysis chooses to push the boundaries of graphics, scale and scripted events. If that's your thing then more power to you, but it's not the same. i've played crysis 2 and enjoyed it a bit, aside from the fact that by half way through you're doing the exact same thing over and over as before except for waiting to see what new huge scripted events they'll throw at you.

CHANCE-PHOENIX
28th Aug 2011, 10:11

well , imho a little more bloom and contrast(darker shadows) only makes the game look better(sharper) i think :
http://i54.tinypic.com/de1slk.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/jg4mma.jpg

but , what truly annoys me is the FAILED SHADOWS of the 2 chairs through the solid wall in the first pic :mad2:

lukeman3000
28th Aug 2011, 10:15
@chance - Are there options to adjust the bloom intensity? I haven't even really looked yet.

CHANCE-PHOENIX
28th Aug 2011, 10:26
@chance - Are there options to adjust the bloom intensity? I haven't even really looked yet.

i dont think so (i"m a total noob in reading cfg files) ,

i was just experimenting with enb-mods from other games ...

resident evil 4 enb made this game to colorfull and ugly.

the one i used is from "painkiller battle out of hell" and looks best on deus ex hr (imo) wich can be found here :

http://ihtius.blogspot.com/2010/12/enbseries-ciag-dalszy-moich-zmagan.html

Sodel
28th Aug 2011, 10:30
People that think those textures are anywhere near good are kidding themselfes. First point is rather simple PC=Console which is always a bad ting since its 6 years old hardware. And its rather obvious that textures are one of the big problems of consoles so when consoles have the same texture quality as pcs in a game something is horribly wrong.
But what really annoys me about DX:HR about the textures is one thing i havent seen in games for a long time -> "unreadable text" textures. There is no reason why this should be a problem in 2011 except for lazyness.

That may sounds harsh but the game is strange on the one hand i like it on the other hand i feel rather betrayed because it didnt get the "pc-love" they pretended it would get. One has to wonder why they wont start with high-res textures and scale them down for consoles. Because as they obviously did now -> create crappy console low res textrues where one cant even read the text it would be a ****load of work to do high res textures. Which is why i doubt there will be a texture pack.

dimljajvbu
28th Aug 2011, 10:43
One has to wonder why they wont start with high-res textures and scale them down for consoles.

I expect they did. But PC got the low-res ones too. :mad2:

Sodel
28th Aug 2011, 10:45

Well i somehow doubt that since then it would have been utterly pointless or a "bug" giving the pc those textures. But i would really be pleased if this was the case since than a hd-texture patch would be a matter of minutes ;)

Sky_walker
28th Aug 2011, 11:40
For a beginning we could get full resolution real time reflections instead of these tiny pre-made reflection maps where you can see huge square pixels....

I know it eats lot of resources, but heck, this game has DX11 features and yet looks like made in 2004, so even my GPU can handle that easily, not telling bout people using newest cards, or these with SLI.

dimljajvbu
28th Aug 2011, 11:50
Well i somehow doubt that since then it would have been utterly pointless or a "bug" giving the pc those textures.

I can think of a few reasons... Simplicity - a "one-size-fits-all" which works with consoles too. Performance for people with lower spec hardware. Disk space.
All of which I'd happily sacrifice for higher resolution textures.
Another possibility: Engine limitations?

Sodel
28th Aug 2011, 12:02
I can think of a few reasons... Simplicity - a "one-size-fits-all" which works with consoles too. Performance for people with lower spec hardware. Disk space.
All of which I'd happily sacrifice for higher resolution textures.
Another possibility: Engine limitations?

1) would be a pretty much a **** you PC-Players
2) Is not an argument because its not a problem at all to include an option to use "high" or "low" textures
3) Disc-Space is a reason? Since when? Especially when lots of people use digital distribution anyhow?
4)Engine limitations -> if that was the case the engine would be abysmal

Sorry but i just dont see any reason besides lazyness and wanting to spare some money ...

ZakKa89
28th Aug 2011, 12:13

What are you talking about, the game's textures are really sharp :confused:
The game looks pretty good, you should only lower the brightness to 0

Some stuff looks a bit outdated, like facial animations and character models, but the textures are fine.

dimljajvbu
28th Aug 2011, 12:49
Sorry but i just dont see any reason besides lazyness and wanting to spare some money ...

I was only trying to come up with reasons, I didn't say they were good reasons ;)

What are you talking about, the game's textures are really sharp :confused:

Try reading any text or looking at any "displays"... Sharp? :hmm:

Zorvan
28th Aug 2011, 13:28
I'm glad to hear that your gpu defies logic, but unfortunately the fact is a high res texture pack (if it truly is a high res texture pack and makes a noticeable difference) DOES cause an fps hit. the reason low res textures are often used is because it means when the game is loading the environments either streaming or at a loading screen, that it takes less time and is easier. from a normal distance the textures appear fine, but when you get up close they're blurry, and this tradeoff is to increase performance. if it didn't cause a performance hit then there'd be no reason for developers not to use high res textures (aside from disc size limitations). in a situation like HR's cities where the environment is insanely detailed and packed with different textures/items it would cause quite a performance drop (try turning AA and AF up to max in hengsha and then compare that to no AA or AF; bit of a difference due to all the work the computer is doing when it has to deal with fixing all those things).

The kind of people who play crysis 2 are the trigger happy/twitch shooter fans so i'm not surprised they demanded a graphics patch. that game is essentially made for graphics whores and i'd be surprised if a high res texture pack WEREN'T put out for it. it's a completely different type of game in that while hr pushes the boundaries of commentary, story, gameplay elements, freedom and choice, crysis chooses to push the boundaries of graphics, scale and scripted events. If that's your thing then more power to you, but it's not the same. i've played crysis 2 and enjoyed it a bit, aside from the fact that by half way through you're doing the exact same thing over and over as before except for waiting to see what new huge scripted events they'll throw at you.

But since a hi-rez pack would be optional, your argument pretty much means nothing, correct? You enjoy what you got and the rest of us that want a bit more will download it for ourselves. Or are you one of those "I can't handle it so noone else should have it either" type of people that seem to flood game forums nowadays?

FuzzyPuffin
28th Aug 2011, 16:21
I'd like to see a high res patch simply because I'd like to be able to read all text on the walls. If I can't read something because it's too blurry, it breaks the immersion.

Badly Browned
28th Aug 2011, 18:45
Some of the NPCs have really bad looking faces. Considering Adam's face looks fine, it just makes those other NPC look incomplete.

Enemy242
28th Aug 2011, 19:40
But since a hi-rez pack would be optional, your argument pretty much means nothing, correct? You enjoy what you got and the rest of us that want a bit more will download it for ourselves. Or are you one of those "I can't handle it so noone else should have it either" type of people that seem to flood game forums nowadays?

no, if modders want to release a high res texture pack i think that would be tampering with the game since they most likely couldn't capture the essence as well (it's a lot harder in games with a really stylized art direction, whereas in a military shooter it's easier, this one just has a dedicated art team for a reason) but i wouldn't care if they did it as i simply wouldn't download it. if the team themselves did it i'd much rather see new dlc or some of the cut content come back as thats far more important than just graphics whore things, but again its not like my opinion really makes some huge difference. none of ours does, it's simply voicing our opinions, facts and debating if the issue is worthwhile or not. if you want to get down to semantics then of course all these arguments mean nothing.

7gramrocks
29th Aug 2011, 00:22
Eidos Montreal is a bunch of drunk's and could care less about the Opinions of PC gamers,
Obviously you guys haven't seen the pictures of them in the credits at the end of the game.
they are out partying spending all of your hard earned money, High res texture pack? SLIM chance :rolleyes:

cartridge
29th Aug 2011, 00:27
Eidos Montreal is a bunch of drunk's and could care less about the Opinions of PC gamers,
Obviously you guys haven't seen the pictures of them in the credits at the end of the game.
they are out partying spending all of your hard earned money, High res texture pack? SLIM chance :rolleyes:

Hi Troll. Cool story.

lukeman3000
29th Aug 2011, 00:29
if you want to get down to semantics then of course all these arguments mean nothing.

At least we can agree on something

7gramrocks
29th Aug 2011, 00:32
Hi Troll. Cool story.
well obviously if you are still gaming on cartridges you don't give a sh1t about graphics

Dentrick
29th Aug 2011, 00:48

Imagine if they made a game while sober.

On a side note, one of the offices in Sarif has whiskey in it. Just... sitting there.

cartridge
29th Aug 2011, 00:50
well obviously if you are still gaming on cartridges you don't give a sh1t about graphics

Well, OBVIOUSLY you are still smokin them rocks, mr. 7 gram, which totally make sense of your crackhead post.

I'm playing this game maxed with awesome framerates, and OBVIOUSLY this game is not available on a cartridge, which would mean I'm OBVIOUSLY not gaming on a cartridge at the moment.

7gramrocks
29th Aug 2011, 03:34
Doesn't change the fact that Eidos Montreal is a bunch of drunkards who released a buggy game with low res textures, and highly compressed cutscenes that look like sh1t

geddiesburg
30th Aug 2011, 01:02
Kinda sad that gaming community forums always descend into flame wars and petty squabbling - and all out of a simple question to the development team asking for a simple update. Conduct like the last page and a half or so just gets everyone ignored. Community: do everyone a favour - if you have nothing constructive or contributory to say... leave the keyboard alone.

Bottom line to all those posting about sharp textures: bits and pieces are sharp, yes, however a lot isn't - it isn't consistent either. Of course the main character - the guy you spend the most time looking at is sharp... and of course a lot of the major in your face details are sharp... but background elements, screens, etc... not sharp at all. While it isn't as bad on the PC as consoles - it would be great for those with higher end PCs to have the option of downloading texture packs that already exist -- That's why this whole thing started... asking for content that's already there.

So... just to reiterate - don't post anything else unless it truly adds to the conversation. Having the ability to be anonymous gives people who would never speak up the power to bully and berate constantly without worry of repercussion that they realize. Grow up

Andrew

justalookinggl
30th Aug 2011, 06:20
Well most people here just ask a word from the developers if some kind of update/patch is coming along.To be able to ship worldwide i am certain they probably stopped programming a good month ago.It's still a great game despite the graphics as the great art style saves it but still is a huge letdown to get a cheap port instead of the real deal.I got the impression,especially after a few times we got reassured the pc gamers will be treated right that they are going to make a proper pc release...

The game on consoles is nothing sort of amazing,but they had to cut and downsize to keep memory usage at an absolute minimum....The ps3 can have ONLY 256 mb of graphics memory (instead of the 360's ability to utilize all 512mb of its memory for graphics if needed(in most cases through as it uses half of that memory for its os and game engine its not that much of an advantage...).Full hd textures can take many megs each so using a full scene would need way more memory than consoles have...
Computers with decent video graphics card have at least 1gb of video ram compared to consoles...Actually ps3's uses a 7800gtx ...were if you have a gaming computer you probably have a 480 or 580gtx that has 1.5 gb of video ram or in the case you have a pair of those ,than you have 3gb of usable video ram...Also they have gddr5 that is like 3-4 times faster then the memory ps3 and 360 have...

Also ....people texture size has nothing to do with sheer perfomance...Even the ps3 could play with all textures in hd with almost no perfomance loss if it had more and faster ram.

I don't ask about crysis level graphics ...But at least give us some sharp looking textures and some decent hd uncompressed cinematics....

WarBaby2
30th Aug 2011, 06:44
So... just to reiterate - don't post anything else unless it truly adds to the conversation. Having the ability to be anonymous gives people who would never speak up the power to bully and berate constantly without worry of repercussion that they realize. Grow up

Well, that's the human animal for you. ;-)

If a HD texture pack is made, they should add some variety in the textures for screens, books, magazines and posters too. Besides the fact that these are especially lowrez and blurry, you see the same books in a hundred places. While the SWAT novel made sense in Adams office... and maby again in his apartment or the police station... it go kinda funny by the time you get to china.

In a game that relies so heavy on mood and detail, such sloppiness (or is it efficiency? ;-)) is abit disappointing...