PDA

View Full Version : Out of steam

petergee
26th Aug 2011, 16:50
I bought Deus Ex HR and received it a day early. Tried to instal and Steam message that game not released yet was deemed normal as it wasn't. So come the day 26th started instal this morning at 06.30. Left running all day 12 hours and it's still downloading at 48k average. What the **** is on the game dvd, why does steam have to download everything rather than taking it from disk. I am now 1.6 gigs into gods knows what with a size of 8.6 gigs. At this rate I'll be dead before I get to play the game. Just seen that Steam says game will be ready to play in 2days 3hrs

petergee
26th Aug 2011, 17:02
At least you can play the game. I bought Deus Ex HR and received it a day early. Tried to instal and Steam message that game not released yet was deemed normal as it wasn't released. So come the day 26th started instal this morning at 06.30. Left running all day 12 hours and it's still downloading at 48k average. What the heck is on the game dvd, why does steam have to download everything rather than taking it from disk. I am now 1.6 gigs into gods knows what with a size of 8.6 gigs. At this rate I'll be dead before I get to play the game. Just seen that Steam says game will be ready to play in 2days 3hrs

jaywalker2309
26th Aug 2011, 19:30
At least you can play the game. I bought Deus Ex HR and received it a day early. Tried to instal and Steam message that game not released yet was deemed normal as it wasn't released. So come the day 26th started instal this morning at 06.30. Left running all day 12 hours and it's still downloading at 48k average. What the heck is on the game dvd, why does steam have to download everything rather than taking it from disk. I am now 1.6 gigs into gods knows what with a size of 8.6 gigs. At this rate I'll be dead before I get to play the game. Just seen that Steam says game will be ready to play in 2days 3hrs

So you have a disc but its downloading? thats not right.. if its doing that if it had a problem reading the disc, so falls back to using the net as a recovery place. You are gonna go mental if you leave it at that speed..

Whilst its doing that, why dont you create a folder on your HD, and copy the contents of the dvd into it, then if that finishes without issue, that will a) show the disc is fine and b) allow you to install from there and will definitely be faster then 2 days!!!

macktheknife
26th Aug 2011, 19:38
What sort of internet do you have?

You don't even need the disc if your speeds are half-decent.

jaywalker2309
26th Aug 2011, 19:51
What sort of internet do you have?

You don't even need the disc if your speeds are half-decent.

Well only real use for the disc is to ensure you dont need to use 8GB download if on a restricted package (yes they still do exist) :)

Daz1967
26th Aug 2011, 20:06
I'm come across this issue before and it's one of the many reasons I'm not a big fan of Steam.

Anyway the fix is described in detail here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382

Chopteeth
26th Aug 2011, 22:26
I bought Deus Ex HR and received it a day early. Tried to instal and Steam message that game not released yet was deemed normal as it wasn't. So come the day 26th started instal this morning at 06.30. Left running all day 12 hours and it's still downloading at 48k average. What the **** is on the game dvd, why does steam have to download everything rather than taking it from disk. I am now 1.6 gigs into gods knows what with a size of 8.6 gigs. At this rate I'll be dead before I get to play the game. Just seen that Steam says game will be ready to play in 2days 3hrs

It doesn't, I was able to install it from disk. Just make sure you cancel the download, delete the local files on steam, and then install using the autorun program on the disk. You might have to uninstall from programs in control panel but I don't think you have to. Let me know how that works :)