PDA

View Full Version : Game lags badly when viewing "new" areas / can't turn down graphics settings

jeremygrim
26th Aug 2011, 16:47
Alright, I have two major problems with this game.

Here's my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit
Service Pack 1
DirectX 9.0c
CPU: 2x Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2833 MHz (9 x 315)
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (I believe it's a 4870)
3.5 GB of RAM

First off, the performance is terrible. The game runs at a smooth frame rate when I'm viewing areas I've already seen, but when i'm looking at or traversing "new" areas, the frame rate drops so dramatically the game becomes unplayable. This wouldn't be so bad if it only happened once for every new area, but the game seems to reset what's a "new area" every time I leave it, so I'm left with essentially a constantly lagging game. Often, it's unplayable. I meet the requirements for this game and if there's no way to fix this, I want a refund so I can buy the 360 one and just be done with it.

Secondly, I've tried to turn down the graphics settings to improve the performance (like turning off vsync, lowering aliasing, anything) and every time I lower any setting at all when I actually try to re-enter the game it crashes and I'm given an error that says "A problem has occurred with your display driver." I have the newest drivers for my card so it's not that. The message tells me something along the lines of "perhaps you are trying to run the game at too high settings for your card" and it refuses to work until i reset the settings to default (which are actually higher than the settings I'm trying to run it at)

So basically I'm stuck with a game that is constantly lagging and I can't lower the settings to fix it.

Chopteeth
26th Aug 2011, 22:28
Try changing the settings from the configuration utility rather than from in game :)

ajd155
26th Aug 2011, 22:31
So basically I'm stuck with a game that is constantly lagging and I can't lower the settings to fix it.

Bottom line: they released the game too early. Hopefully they'll patch but they obviously did minimal performance testing on PC. They seem to have only fixed the Class A bugs and I'm sure some marketing or business dynamo said "we'll fix it later".

There's reports of people's HUD disappearing on both the xbox and the ps3. So... that's how much testing they did. Yeah....

Chopteeth
26th Aug 2011, 22:34
Bottom line: they released the game too early. Hopefully they'll patch but they obviously did minimal performance testing on PC. They seem to have only fixed the Class A bugs and I'm sure some marketing or business dynamo said "we'll fix it later".

There's reports of people's HUD disappearing on both the xbox and the ps3. So... that's how much testing they did. Yeah....

It's really more about the kind of hardware you have, did you notice that he is attempting to play with a pentium 3? I have the recommended specs, as mentioned on the back of the box, and my game run flawlessly (at least graphics-wise :))

ajd155
26th Aug 2011, 22:47
It's really more about the kind of hardware you have, did you notice that he is attempting to play with a pentium 3? I have the recommended specs, as mentioned on the back of the box, and my game run flawlessly (at least graphics-wise :))

I'm running dual quad i7s with 16gb ram on sas drives and a gtx 570 and I experience the same problem as him. I don't have problems with any other games so....

Turning the graphics down all the way doesn't fix the problem either.

But yeah a pentium 3... hrm..

Chopteeth
26th Aug 2011, 23:08
I'm running dual quad i7s with 16gb ram on sas drives and a gtx 570 and I experience the same problem as him. I don't have problems with any other games so....

Turning the graphics down all the way doesn't fix the problem either.

But yeah a pentium 3... hrm..

That's really weird, so it's a massive FPS drop that makes the game unplayable and only happens when loading new areas? It could be a hard drive issue, is your HD heavily fragmented? Are you playing it on one of those streaming game services where it runs "on the cloud"?

Edit: Also don't use MLAA, use FXAA High, but I guess you already tried messing with the graphics settings...

Spookyy
26th Aug 2011, 23:35
It's not a harddrive issue as seen by loads of users even using fast SSD drives.

The game was coded mainly for consoles, we see that now. These issues should not in any way appear on a properly configured highend PC.

As always with console ports, you wonder where the PC QA team were doing all this time?

Cloakmachine
26th Aug 2011, 23:40
Got the same problem myself. i5-2500K at 3.7GHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DCU II Top, 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ RAM. Any other game runs great, but when I enter new areas and turn around, or move a few meters and turn around again, the game starts stuttering badly to the point of stand still sometimes.

jeremygrim
27th Aug 2011, 00:21
Try changing the settings from the configuration utility rather than from in game :)

That's the first thing I tried, does the same exact thing.

Well, guess I'll email Eidos and see if I can get a refund and I'll buy this on the 360. This sucks.