PDA

View Full Version : "Moving reflecting Textures"

ZappasGHost
26th Aug 2011, 08:42
NVidia GTX 460 /Driver 280.26/Win7-64/8GB Ram

If I move forward or backward, some Textures on the Floor (reflective surface) moves with me.

For Example: I,am standing and look on the floor. Now i can see the reflecting light or conturs from some interior.

Now i move forward or backward, and the reflecting textures moves with me.

That looks strange and the Game is unplayable.

I have tried all Grafiksettings, but nothing seems to help.

Some help here ?

Thx and sorry for my restricted English, because it is not my first Language.

ZG

jaywalker2309
26th Aug 2011, 08:53
Are you able to try and take a screenshot? might help make it a bit clearer what the issue you are having is.

Have you tried with DX11 enabled and then disabled? see if the issue remains?

Spookyy
26th Aug 2011, 13:11
I get the same reflective graphics glitch on the floor.

Good spot to see the problem:
At the beginning, go to the helipad and check the floor. Move around and look at the reflection in the water. Some strange image that follows you around.

I have gone through all the ingame settings and using default Nvidia control panel settings.

Using Phenom II 4x, Geforce 460gtx 1gb, 4gb ram, Windows 7 x64, dedicated gaming drive with loads of space.
Defragged and no crap stuff in the background and updated drivers etc.

dimljajvbu
26th Aug 2011, 15:40
If it's what I think, it's not a bug, just a pretty terrible approximation of a reflection. Instead of actually reflecting anything, it sort of overlays a pre-rendered (and low-res!) texture, which should, when done properly, represent the actual surroundings, but often doesn't. Lots of games (usually older ones now...) use this technique, but not to such an obvious extent as this one. I don't really see why, either, as even the original Unreal could do "real" reflections.

CHT
26th Aug 2011, 17:32
I have the same error. Here is a picture:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9467/dxhr2011082619254510.png

Also the game doesn´t run in 1080p as you can see from the screenshot...but it is configured in the config tool.

My hardware:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40 GHz
4 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD/ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB GDDR5
Windows 7 64bit - all drivers are up-to-date

Hope you can help me.

CurtisDeadman
26th Aug 2011, 18:27
I also get this bug occasionally when I first start up the game.

Quick Fix: Go to display settings, change your resolution to something different, and when it pops up the dialog asking "do you want to keep this change or cancel it?" select cancel. (Example...I play on 1920x1080, so I'll select the next lowest resolution, let it change, then revert back to 1920x1080) This should pop you back to your intended resolution, and the problem is gone.

dimljajvbu
26th Aug 2011, 19:10
Err wow, that's weird. I don't get anything like that. That looks seriously corrupted, rather than the poor reflections I (and the OP?) was talking about.

jaywalker2309
26th Aug 2011, 19:56
Yeh have to say CHT that just looks totally bizarre, and definitely isnt how it should look or the issue dimljajvbu is describing

That actually looks very freaky..

Did you try CurtisDeadman's fix?

note - tis very strange typing peoples `usernames` in a sentence :)

tet5uo
26th Aug 2011, 20:19
Yeah those crazy artifacts aren't what the OP is talking about.

The reflections do seem quite 2004 to me as well :) I noticed it the most in one area of detroit, I'm in a dark alley with barely any lighting around, yet the car parked there was reflecting some lit-up storefront with japanese characters.

ajd155
26th Aug 2011, 22:20
Yeah those crazy artifacts aren't what the OP is talking about.

The reflections do seem quite 2004 to me as well :) I noticed it the most in one area of detroit, I'm in a dark alley with barely any lighting around, yet the car parked there was reflecting some lit-up storefront with japanese characters.

This isn't uncommon for games. You can use a scene capture actor (or something like it) to get real time true reflections but the performance hit is just too great. They can grab the info at load or every frame if you want. This can really slow games down though. That's why really only racing games can pull this off. Your other option is to use a static cubemap of some sort to fake it. What you saw was the static cubemap most likely, and really wouldn't count as a bug. it's just a limitation. And not an uncommon one. I have my share of angst for the bugs in this game but I doubt that is one of them.

The OP on the other hand has a real issue there. His reflections have no textures at all, and we are seeing the base meshes. (pretty low poly too I might add for a pc game.)

CHT
26th Aug 2011, 23:16
I also get this bug occasionally when I first start up the game.

Quick Fix: Go to display settings, change your resolution to something different, and when it pops up the dialog asking "do you want to keep this change or cancel it?" select cancel. (Example...I play on 1920x1080, so I'll select the next lowest resolution, let it change, then revert back to 1920x1080) This should pop you back to your intended resolution, and the problem is gone.

It WORKS! ^__^
Thank you for this. But I still hope Eidos will fix this soon.

Spookyy
8th Sep 2011, 15:05
So, any fix to this awfully lowres texture reflections on the ground?

LordWeasel
8th Sep 2011, 21:41
Many of the effect in this game follow the carmera as I turn, and it is horrendously distracting. But hey, ENBseries is on it. We'll have our graphics update in a couple of weeks :D