PDA

View Full Version : DX & DXHR - Awesome references/nods, easter eggs etc (SPOILERS Inside)

Sponge
26th Aug 2011, 06:22
Been playing a lot the past couple days, I have to say I'm really enjoying all the Deus Ex references. But what made my day (night...) was an email on a computer in Picus was a different kind of reference - I have to say I agree with Jimmy's assessment of "Todd Jackson". ;)

I am loving this game! Thanks guys.

Painman
26th Aug 2011, 06:39
Amen.

Listen to the radios scattered around - you will hear snippets of music from the DX1 soundtrack. I've heard the UNATCO HQ theme, Lebedev Airfield theme, and a piece of a combat theme from someplace or other.

Very cool little easter-eggy tidbits all around. :cool:

Sponge
26th Aug 2011, 23:05
One obscure one that particularly tickled my funny bone, seen on the news ticker on a television:

"Nin-la Conglomerate third quarter report: sales of Lemon-Lime triple; Orange down 37%."

Aquineas
27th Aug 2011, 00:20
I love the Mitnick references :-).

Black-Xero
27th Aug 2011, 00:37
The only one I remember clearly now(since I just saw it) was the Robocop reference.

The_Audiophile
27th Aug 2011, 00:57
There's a "The Big Lebowski" reference, involving a rug lol.

LeMoN_LiMe
27th Aug 2011, 01:10
Did you guys hear the intercom in the Police Station calling for "Officer Deckard"? :D

Homage to the game's cyber-punk Blade Runner routes? :cool:

Jerion
27th Aug 2011, 01:12
One obscure one that particularly tickled my funny bone, seen on the news ticker on a television:

"Nin-la Conglomerate third quarter report: sales of Lemon-Lime triple; Orange down 37%."

I couldn't stop giggling when I read that. :D

jjc
27th Aug 2011, 01:35
Final Fantasy XXVII poster in Pritchard's office.

ReliantLion
27th Aug 2011, 02:10
Final Fantasy XXVII poster in Pritchard's office.I couldn't help but think the monitors arrange the way they are, are meant to mock this game's multiple monitor support. It just looks ridiculous.

The FF XXVII poster is found in other places too.

I've noticed the number 802.11 or 802-11 a lot. I thought this was strange.

Sponge
27th Aug 2011, 03:10
Found an email that repeats the "reminder to all personnel" about radiation & urinalysis tests that you hear during the intro to Half-Life riding in on the train :D

Rizik
27th Aug 2011, 03:58
The only one I remember clearly now(since I just saw it) was the Robocop reference.

Robocop was set in Detroit.

Dentrick
27th Aug 2011, 04:03
Give back that stapler, Jim.

I also liked the "We're not going back to Detroit. We're going to Montreal." "What!?" "I'll explain en route."

What I really, really enjoyed was the E-Mail from Sarif to the factory manager where he said, "...and we can really hit this one out of the park."

That's exactly the kind of cliche that a CEO would use.

EvilWolf
27th Aug 2011, 04:28
Found an email that repeats the "reminder to all personnel" about radiation & urinalysis tests that you hear during the intro to Half-Life riding in on the train :D

There's also another email about decathlon semi-finals "Remember, more lives than your own may depend on your fitness!"

Absolutionis
27th Aug 2011, 04:48
This game gave me such a great feeling of nostalgia that I couldn't help but feel comparisons between DX:HR and DX1.

-Both games have you beginning in a large American city - New York City vs Detroit.
-Both games have you begin with your 'mentor' giving you a choice of what weapon you want to begin the game with. There are 4 choices.
-Both games' first mission has the police under orders to hold back as you, the test subject, undergo the mission alone. The mission ends with the terrorist leader spouting rhetoric. You can kill him if you want to.
-Both games' second 'hub' city is a location in China plagued by Triads. The main nightclub is located here.
-Both games' third location is a French-speaking major metropolitan city.
-Both games have a late-game Martial Law being declared and the police will shoot you on sight. There are civilians to watch out for.
-One of the Triads is led by a man named Tong. He's really into augmentation. You essentially enlist their aid but first you must do a quest for them. The other known Triad is a bunch of baddies. The third Triad is unnamed.
-The major antagonists (MJ12/FEMA andor Illuminati) major hideout is located underneath the first major hub city.
-After you're done with the two major "hub" cities, you're sent through a series of different locations with more combat/sneaking and much much less civilian interaction.
-The final area is introduced by the flying of a large ballistic missile.
-The "boss" enemies consist of a brute (Gunther/Barrett), a bloodthirsty woman (Anna/Federova), and an arrogant leader-figure (Simons/Namir). The last is fought in a facility focused around going underwater.
-An underwater facility exists where pretty much everyone is dead.
-The ultimate "boss" baddie is the head of a multinational corporation and a public figure. They're hooked up to some giant apotheosis machine. You "fight" them while they're plugged into this machine.
-The end consists of you having to choose between embracing uncontrolled technology, sending technology into a Dark Age, and handing the world over to the Illuminati. Bonus for DX:HR having the DX:IW option of ***itall blow up everything!

cachx
27th Aug 2011, 07:02
An autopsy report signed by a Gregory H.

TheYouthCounselor
27th Aug 2011, 07:08
An autopsy report signed by a Gregory H.

That completely flew by my head until you pointed it out.

Doctalen
27th Aug 2011, 07:18
I think the out of service elevator in Jensons apartment is a reference to the Ton. I also heard guards talking about "Getting the wrong kind of soda". <3 the game so far. Nearing the end

Piflik
27th Aug 2011, 13:58
Random people on the streets whistling the Deus Ex theme.

And is that just me, or is the radio moderator Three-Dog? Every time I hear him speaking, I wait for him to go talk about the Capital Wasteland...

finc.Loki
27th Aug 2011, 14:25
I loved hearing the first Deus Ex's "Unatco theme" on the radio by that talk show host in the first mission "manufacturing plant".

Sponge
27th Aug 2011, 15:12
This game gave me such a great feeling of nostalgia that I couldn't help but feel comparisons between DX:HR and DX1.[snip]

Whoa, let's try to keep this thread spoiler-free :)

GreyTemplar
27th Aug 2011, 15:12
Don't forget to stay out of the Ladies Room ;)

Boradam
27th Aug 2011, 15:36
Pritchard scolding you for going into the ladies room
An E-Mail from M. Everett
Lemon Lime and Orange Soda
Final Fantasty Posters across the World
Robocop Reference in the Police Station

And last but not least... the Daedalus reference near the finale.

EDIT: Lucius DeBeers

MaxxQ1
27th Aug 2011, 18:57
Not so much an Easter Egg reference to the original or IW, but did anyone else get a chuckle when they noticed Adam's apartment building number is 420?

If ya don't get the reference, Google is your friend.

miraa
27th Aug 2011, 19:21
Pritchard scolding you for going into the ladies room
An E-Mail from M. Everett
Lemon Lime and Orange Soda
Final Fantasty Posters across the World
Robocop Reference in the Police Station

And last but not least... the Daedalus reference near the finale.

EDIT: Lucius DeBeers

I saw the Morgan Everett email. I also noticed a reference to Elizabeth DuClare on the newscast (Nicolette's mother). Where did you see a reference to Lucius DeBeers?

Boradam
27th Aug 2011, 19:23
Not so much an Easter Egg reference to the original or IW, but did anyone else get a chuckle when they noticed Adam's apartment building number is 420?

If ya don't get the reference, Google is your friend.

Wait... So THAT'S why everything is gold!

EDIT: I believe Sarif says something along the lines of "NEVER let Lucius DeBeers on this line again!" to Athena, or maybe I confused conversations, I do know I heard Lucius DeBeers however.

Dentrick
27th Aug 2011, 22:44
I didn't get it until the second playthrough:

404, Eliza not found.

Also, some books in Sarif's office that I want to read (He has like ten copies of each for some reason)

The Planet of Cakes
The Art of Gratuitous Violence
Sick Management Tactics

MaxxQ1
27th Aug 2011, 22:54
Still on the first floor of the police station, but so far:

Have heard a PA announcement for someone to either call or report to Bradbury 451. Ray Bradbury wrote Farenheit 451, and anyone who's played the first game, or System Shock 2 will recognize that number. Also, a *very* loose Blade Runner connection: The Bradbury Hotel was used as the place where JF Sebastian lives.

Earlier, when I snuck into the third floor of the station - just out of curiosity before heading back to the street to go in the front door - I hacked a couple computers, and one of them had an email about a mandatory Homeland Security briefing being given by Joseph Manderley.

Quillan
27th Aug 2011, 23:42
I saw the Morgan Everett email. I also noticed a reference to Elizabeth DuClare on the newscast (Nicolette's mother). Where did you see a reference to Lucius DeBeers?

It's on Althene's computer outside Sarif's office after the meeting with Hugh Darrow and David Sarif. In the email, Sarif says not to put Lucius DeBeers through again.

TheYouthCounselor
27th Aug 2011, 23:57
I found a Dopefish tag.

Painman
28th Aug 2011, 07:19
The convenience store at the abandoned gas station in Detroit is called "S-Mart".

Daedatheus
28th Aug 2011, 07:54
You guys have mentioned UNATCO theme and Lebedev's airfield, but the radio show also plays the NYC Streets theme.

And HEY! Did you guys not notice the DX1 theme making a triumphant return at the end of the credits, after the final "cinematic" ? Nice touch before returning to the main menu.

Just8KB8
28th Aug 2011, 08:12
Barret is a reference to Barret from final fantasy VII. He also had a mini-gun as arm.

Zorvan
28th Aug 2011, 08:14
I couldn't help but think the monitors arrange the way they are, are meant to mock this game's multiple monitor support. It just looks ridiculous.

People have been doing that with old monitor for years out of boredom, usually when companies get new equipment and are waiting to dispose of the old.

http://www.buzzlol.com/crt-monitor-limbo.html

http://www.collegeafterhours.com/index.php?id=4221

And is that just me, or is the radio moderator Three-Dog? Every time I hear him speaking, I wait for him to go talk about the Capital Wasteland...

Actually, it's Lazurus. He's a real life DJ, you also hear him in some of the GTA games on the radio stations.

Zorvan
28th Aug 2011, 08:28
I couldn't help but think the monitors arrange the way they are, are meant to mock this game's multiple monitor support. It just looks ridiculous.

People have been doing that with old monitor for years out of boredom, usually when companies get new equipment and are waiting to dispose of the old.

http://www.buzzlol.com/crt-monitor-limbo.html

http://www.collegeafterhours.com/index.php?id=4221

Actually, I thought it was Lazlow Jones ( hence the name "lazarus" in DX:HR ), the real life talk show guy who was on the radios in the GTA games. But it turns out it's just some guy named Harry Standjofski who does the voice.

Enemy242
28th Aug 2011, 09:11
a lot of the ones i've found have been posted but some others i've seen are:

- the 3 seashells in the bathroom (demolition man reference)
- a lot of the police officers/police station related things in detroit are related to sci fi/cyberpunk
- the picus emails with everett (and also i swear one with nicolette which would've been a continuity error since she'd be like 10 at the time and that doesn't work at all)
- the entire tong rescue mission (and a lot of the things he says that relate to his personality in the original game)
- security camera model name is big bro
- mini automated vacuum cleaner found around the game looks like a parody of a vacuum that was popular a while ago that people bought thinking it was so cool and futuristic because it was an automatic and self piloting vacuum (but did a terrible job)
- plasma rifle looks/shoots exactly like the one in deus ex
- illuminati sculpture from deus ex in the picus office and the email about it on the computers of the workers making fun of it
- an email talking about fixing problems/vulnerabilities in air ducts and mention of someone named JC, there are tons of air vent gags and jokes in the game

i saw a ton more but i can't remember them, the game has so many its insane

Boradam
28th Aug 2011, 13:44
In Megan's Room inside Shanghai, there is an object that plays the intro to Deus Ex's theme in an awesome form...

Duuuuu dooo deee duuuu doooooo... deeeee doooooo du de du doooooo....

Fox89
28th Aug 2011, 13:50
Yeah there was an e-mail from Nicolette DuClare, I didn't spot the ones from Elizabeth though. And yeah that was probably an error!

There was also an ebook somewhere, I think a magazine ad about military augs, that mentioned the skull gun.

Random
28th Aug 2011, 15:35
Nicolette shouldn't even be alive at the time HR is set, much less an 18-20 year old. That would put her at about 45 in DX1 and 65 in IW, which clearly isn't so.

Zorvan
28th Aug 2011, 15:54
Nicolette shouldn't even be alive at the time HR is set, much less an 18-20 year old. That would put her at about 45 in DX1 and 65 in IW, which clearly isn't so.

Could be her mother or grandmother, though.

Fox89
28th Aug 2011, 16:03
Could be her mother or grandmother, though.

Well her mother was Elizabeth, right? Grandmother perhaps though, or other relative.

Though I would be surprised if this is anything other than an error. The kind of thing where 10 e-mails were written, all from Nicolette DuClare, and then somebody on the team spotted it and said "Ah, Marc, I think you mean Elizabeth. Nicolette wouldn't have been born at this point."

At which point 'Marc' changes all the e-mail but forgets to save the changes to one of them. And thus the mistaken easter egg remains :)

Chewy2nd
28th Aug 2011, 16:17
In Tai Young Medical, after the two guards have finished talking about a drinks machine nearly falling on one of them, talking to one of them twice will give you a reply along the lines of "Honestly, the other day he was talking about how the machine gave him the wrong drink"

Quillan
28th Aug 2011, 17:33
After you complete the game, if you sit through the entire credits (about 10 minutes worth), there's a little something behind them that I won't detail for those who haven't finished yet. Afterwards, it plays the original DX theme in full.

Daedatheus
28th Aug 2011, 18:18
- the entire tong rescue mission (and a lot of the things he says that relate to his personality in the original game)

Unfortunate that not all of us got to experience that mission (although even if you don't have that preorder bonus, you still see Tong escape on his boat "The Tracer"). Anyone know if there's youtube footage of this part of the game yet, considering I might never get to play it?

In Megan's Room inside Shanghai, there is an object that plays the intro to Deus Ex's theme in an awesome form...

What do you mean by this? Megan doesn't have a room in Heng Sha. You mean in the Singapore facility? And what's the object...?

Cerebelum
28th Aug 2011, 18:23
User: RDeckard, password: unicorn. Made me smile.

Zorvan
28th Aug 2011, 19:01
What do you mean by this? Megan doesn't have a room in Heng Sha. You mean in the Singapore facility? And what's the object...?

The phonograph.

Discoman
28th Aug 2011, 19:18
The police station, besides deckard has the logins
hEllison Harlan Ellison a sci-fi writer
pDick Philip K Dick, another writer who wrote the book Bladerunner is based off of
rdeckard, who, if you read his e-mail, is friends with a Roy, who wants to borrow is 'Priss' coupe to take a girl out to the country.

Also, someone in the police station makes a reference to seeing an 'Episode 9' at the movies, does he mean another Star Wars trilogy?

webstar
28th Aug 2011, 19:46
When you get the autopsy reports from Anonomyous X, on the bottom it says that it was done by a doctor named Gregory H. Go figure. :D

http://i.imgur.com/CBUFbl.jpg

Also, Anonymous X also has #chan written on his cap.

cartridge
28th Aug 2011, 20:25
There is a conversation with William Taggart (leader of Humanity Front) just outside of Sarif's penthouse, where in one of Adam's conversation options he says "thank you for illuminating me on that" or something similar. I'm not sure if there's a connection with Humanity Front and the Illuminati, but it would certainly make sense given the Illuminati's history.

Abram730
29th Aug 2011, 00:09
I loved the conversation between the 2 guards in medical.. Ode to Gunther's traumatic dislike of lemon-lime(Gunther? Is that you?).
and an idea for non standard combat.
death by vending machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXgRn_7OGs0#t=3m10s

MaxxQ1
29th Aug 2011, 02:31
One of the Picus news tickers mentions Invisible War passing some other movie at the box office. I believe it's during the Heng Sha part, where Eliza is interviewing the guy working on the Panachea thingy.

Edit: During the same news ticker, there is mention of a Moonbase Omega. Might be a stretch, but I think it's a nod to Moonbase Alpha from the late 1970's TV series Space: 1999.

3nails4you
29th Aug 2011, 02:49
Did no one else notice 0451 at the beginning? One of my favorite nods :)

Did anyone else notice the long speech that the guy gives in the alleyway on the second time to Detroit? The Twelve Kings will rise up and take control and all that? Really interesting...if you hear it, stop and listen. Basically, this guy accurately predicts all of the events of DX1. Really funny :D

MaxxQ1
29th Aug 2011, 02:55

We've known about that one since quite awhile *before* the game was released. In fact, I think it's one of the references/nods pretty much *everyone* expected to see. I honestly think there would have been a worse uproar than anything going on in the Technical Forum if that code had *not* been included.

jtr7
29th Aug 2011, 02:56
We've known about 0451 for months, but it should be mentioned here.

3nails4you
29th Aug 2011, 05:25
Ah. I spent my time before the game came out generally trying to avoid any gameplay that might spoil anything, which would be why I wasn't aware of this.

Sponge
31st Aug 2011, 00:34
Another couple, from the Achievements:

"Unforeseen Consequence" - possibly a Half Life reference, the title of one of the chapters/levels in Half Life was "Unforeseen Consequences".

"Smash the State" - NSF security terminal password in Deus Ex.

tarvis79
31st Aug 2011, 02:11
I don't think anyone has mentioned the newspaper detailing how a group calling itself the New Sons of Freedom was agitating to get the Pacific Northwest to secede from the United States. Also (and I may be wrong on this), I'm pretty certain that the scream you can hear in the alleyways in Detroit is the same track used at the beginning of System Shock 2, when you see a woman running from a hybrid.

The song that plays on Megan's gramophone is the ambient theme from the Templar cathedral in DX1.

Painman
31st Aug 2011, 02:25
It is the same scream from SS2, shortened a bit though.

One thing I meant to mention about Detroit, I like it how they mostly used street names that actually exist there. Bagley, Grand River, Jefferson, etc. The highway signs that you can see here and there mention John C. Lodge, I-75 and I-94. Nice touch.

needlesurfer
31st Aug 2011, 22:37
I've noticed the number 802.11 or 802-11 a lot. I thought this was strange.

Comes from the wireless standard. She is wirelessly broadcasting from a room with that number, makes sense.

I like how Malik helicopter number is 800BEE :D

Painman
1st Sep 2011, 07:15
"Happy Duck Noodles" is a reference to SS2 and possibly Bioshock. In the beginning area of SS2 there's a restaurant called "Happy Noodle". In Fort Frolic in Bioshock, there are posters on the walls that say "Eat At Happy Noodle" (which is one of that game's homages to SS2).

Also, what is up with the several-stories-high pile of air conditioners in hengsha? Is that why the Alice Garden Pods have no A/C?

Jason Parker
1st Sep 2011, 11:15
Also, someone in the police station makes a reference to seeing an 'Episode 9' at the movies, does he mean another Star Wars trilogy?

Indeed he does. It's pretty much common knowledge (at least amongst Sci-Fi enthusiasts that) that GLucas wrote scripts for 9 episodes back in the day then decided that the middle three episodes were the technically best doable back at the time, so he shot them first. But seeing what he made with EP 1 and 2 and first half of 3 I sure hope he just leaves the last three scripts in that drawer where he hides them. Anyhow the time window for doing them properly is closing more and more as the original cast gets older and older. Is Mark Hammill still alive at all anyways?

However back on topic: It's been mentioned already but my favorite is the whistled Deus Ex Theme in the Detroit streets. I was a bit disappointed at first that they've changed the score and then rejoiced as I've heard it. Il literaly tried to follow it to see if it's any of the NPC that's the source of it.

Agent Denton
1st Sep 2011, 13:18
When you go into the cop station and the cops are like "OH man! we were just talking about you" Then they go on and start saying how you look like the dude from that movie in the 80's........ hahahaha.

Jack Dandy
1st Sep 2011, 13:35
The post-credits scene + original theme were PERFECT. :)

imported_the_guy
1st Sep 2011, 14:40
I'm sure I heard someone whistling the original DX theme tune.

Tuttle
1st Sep 2011, 14:55

Na, it's called a computer arch. Basically a new use for old CRT monitors.
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6326/computerarch.jpg

Jack Dandy
1st Sep 2011, 20:50
I found a "Working Girl" in Detroit named Charlotte!

"You're giving a swish with your ass in the air,
don't you know what they're saying?
Charlotte, you're so refined when you take
All the love that they're giving~"

Brackstone17
1st Sep 2011, 23:28
Maybe not a reference, maybe just history repeating itself, but putting a laser sight on a scoped weapon still causes an accuracy related glitch.

MaxxQ1
2nd Sep 2011, 06:07
In reference to my earlier post about Moonbase Omega being a nod to Space: 1999, a later reference (I can't recall if it was another Picus TV news ticker or I read it in an email) plces Moonbase Omega at or near Clavius, which is a rather large crater on the moon. Clavius is the crater where the moonbase in 2001: A Space Odyssey is located, and Dr. Heywood Floyd mentions going there when he's talking to the Russians aboard the space station.

A little history about that remark from 2001: Kubrick and Clarke both received letters from people wondering where Planet Clavius was and why they never showed it in the movie. Paraphrased from one of their responses to the question: "They apparently didn't see 30-odd shots of the moon while watching the movie."

Tuttle
2nd Sep 2011, 08:00
Forgotten where, when or who it was but I *know* an NPC says "Mr Adam Jenton in the flesh."

Jason Parker
2nd Sep 2011, 08:44
Just started another playthrough and found a nice nod pretty much at the beginning when you first enter pritchards room he says something like: "What took you so long Jenson? Did you get stuck in an air duct". That one truely is hilarious but I didn't catch it on the first two playthroughs.

Messire
2nd Sep 2011, 13:14
Anyone got the mail about Romsky's publication at Picus? It deals with power & corruption (can't remember the exact title)
Also, How Everett litteraly confesses having ordered Hugo Chavez's assassination on that mail about the Mexican President. Keep CoD3 Black Ops first mission's objectives in mind for this one! And no I haven't played that beautiful piece of biased piece of crap, so please don't own me on this!

daviareias
2nd Sep 2011, 16:14
Dont know if anyone notice it, but all the cameras in the game have a logo of their manufacturer called "Big Bro", its obviously a reference to George Orwell's 1984 book which tells the story about a totalitarian goverment and its dictator called "Big Brother". There is even the famous phrase "the big brother is watching you".

lake88
2nd Sep 2011, 16:49
is Jay Chou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Chou)?

Tenants of the hotel often refer to him as "Jay" in their conversations. Jay could be any Jay, but during one conversation where a lady from the management is confronting a pod tenant, she refers to him as "Mr. Chou".

Easter egg?

mgoss
3rd Sep 2011, 02:29
The basketball achievement. In DE1 there was a basketball at the HQ. 0451 is keycode David Sarif gives you is also the first keycode in DE1.

ocstew
3rd Sep 2011, 09:30
In Picus, if you hack one of the computers in that room with that backdrop and cameras you can see a email from John Howard, the Australian Prime Minister back in 2007 about the war that's going on in Australia in the Deus Ex Universe. Interesting nod to real life.

Kyson
3rd Sep 2011, 11:23
Megans autopsy reports are signed House M.D.

Edit: ... i might have been wrong and it was Gregory H. M.D. ...:C

eldidou
3rd Sep 2011, 16:02
The deus ex logo in the last hacking minigame (http://i.imgur.com/HzUse.jpg)

xeoncat
3rd Sep 2011, 17:01
the name Eliza is probably a reference to the first chatbot made in the 60's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

there's a reference to Ghunter's skull gun reference in an ebook, i think in Sandoval's office http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993101725/screenshot/541777522654254895

some books that appear throughout the world also have funny names, like "The Planet of Cakes"
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993101725/screenshot/541777522612367799

there's also a reference to Alice in Wonderland in a login/pass on a computer on Alice Garden Pods

Kynaeus
3rd Sep 2011, 20:34
Indeed he does. It's pretty much common knowledge (at least amongst Sci-Fi enthusiasts that) that GLucas wrote scripts for 9 episodes back in the day then decided that the middle three episodes were the technically best doable back at the time, so he shot them first. But seeing what he made with EP 1 and 2 and first half of 3 I sure hope he just leaves the last three scripts in that drawer where he hides them. Anyhow the time window for doing them properly is closing more and more as the original cast gets older and older. Is Mark Hammill still alive at all anyways?

However back on topic: It's been mentioned already but my favorite is the whistled Deus Ex Theme in the Detroit streets. I was a bit disappointed at first that they've changed the score and then rejoiced as I've heard it. Il literaly tried to follow it to see if it's any of the NPC that's the source of it.

If you've played any recent games or watched tv, you've heard Mark Hammill. He mostly does voice acting now as the Joker in Arkham Asylum, for example.

Just started another playthrough and found a nice nod pretty much at the beginning when you first enter pritchards room he says something like: "What took you so long Jenson? Did you get stuck in an air duct". That one truely is hilarious but I didn't catch it on the first two playthroughs.

If you spend some time exploring the building like I did, you accidentally went into the Ladies bathroom and Pritchard mentions this (just like they did in the first game!)

Painman
4th Sep 2011, 08:57
I saw the ticker on the news screen quoting something from a guy named Richard Milhouse. Reference to former, deceased POTUS Richard Milhous Nixon.

Oh, and props for stickying. :)

When you go into the cop station and the cops are like "OH man! we were just talking about you" Then they go on and start saying how you look like the dude from that movie in the 80's........ hahahaha.

Interesting. The original Robocop was from the 80s, but so was The Terminator. I guess the reference could be towards either.

Slythe
4th Sep 2011, 22:09
One I haven't seen mentioned yet - when you first step out onto the streets of Detroit, there's a guy sitting on a bench, wearing a hat pulled down a bit so you can't see his face, and by the way he's dressed and the style of hat and all I thought "he looks like Michael Jackson". Sure enough, if you talk to him he says "Beat it!".

Made me chuckle.

Ashpolt
4th Sep 2011, 22:16
Interesting. The original Robocop was from the 80s, but so was The Terminator. I guess the reference could be towards either.

They're very clearly talking about Robocop, not the Terminator. Hell, one of the cops in question is called Alex Murphy!

The deus ex logo in the last hacking minigame (http://i.imgur.com/HzUse.jpg)

How the hell did I miss that? Great stuff!

Ashpolt
4th Sep 2011, 23:38
Sorry for the double post, but it won't let me edit my last post for some reason (just hangs there...) and I thought this was worth sharing!

Something I didn't notice on my first run through the game, spotted in the Alice Garden Pods:

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m506/Ashpolt2/th_dxhr-NCC1701-D.jpg (http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m506/Ashpolt2/?action=view&current=dxhr-NCC1701-D.jpg)
(Click thumb for larger...much larger)

NCC 1701 D....now where do I recognise that from? Oh yeah! (http://tekgoblinmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/Enterprise_D1.jpg)

[EDIT] (It lets me edit this one!) Drat, for some reason photobucket downscaled my image, and you can't make out the detail on the smaller version. Well, the cables have NCC 1701-D written on them. If anyone can suggest a better image host, I'll re-upload tomorrow.

3nails4you
5th Sep 2011, 02:43
"A disease is coming...grey and deadly. It will come on the backs of twelve kings! And we will bow to them!"

hulde gran
5th Sep 2011, 02:48
What!? You just looked at the cables and immediately thought of the enterprise?
I wish i had that good of a memory.
Good job!

depresso
5th Sep 2011, 05:08
Links to screenshots below:
Its also funny to note that wherever a 3rd party is doing hacking they are up against nucl34rsnake... which is Pritchard... :P

Prop Magazines (in the PORTAL font)
Link (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577807044877677899/D849488ABED7A14F7F32DD748B36402125FC94D7/)

Returning of a stapler (Office Space)
LINK (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577807044877658406/ED5C37A7A9381CEAEADCA79D3E450F4BF6BA663F/)

Urinalysis / Radiation Screening (Half Life Intro Tram Sequence Announcer - tip, replace Omega Ranch with Black Mesa)
LINK (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577807044877681305/BC7CCD61F6F349B3411724280A4A8D56DD4A638C/)

Chair Breakages
LINK (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577807044877670132/B64F25A060776026B8F928F796A2E50B54724667/)

q.q face
LINK (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577807044877672348/5F1B2917FAB510B6CEC6A0DA965F439D62EFCAC9/)

zer0cool email
LINK (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577807044877689217/C7171842AFC409A79834FE55902DC977BF1AA9A2/)

mitnick email
LINK (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577807044877668308/62EAF2EBE4C31C1745E62D978D8D9F8944432407/)

Forever alone
LINK (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577807044877683588/D748A2884259129AAC1C900947C166E4FF7D9853/)

Books
LINK (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577807044877655749/0429A68676A542F9B658774B876547B3D60F5EB8/)

Ketzerfreund
5th Sep 2011, 07:21

He rather reminded me of that insane $§$%)§& Glenn Beck.

- the picus emails with everett (and also i swear one with nicolette which would've been a continuity error since she'd be like 10 at the time and that doesn't work at all)

Then again, Deus Ex 1 wasn't exactly apt in displaying facial wrinkles. That e-mail surprised me, too, but Nicolette could very well be in her 40s in DX1. In DXHR, I shrugged her off as probably an intern at Picus.

Btw., has anyone found a clue to whether Janice Reed, Manderley's secretary in DX1, is in any way related to Megan?

pringlepower
5th Sep 2011, 08:45
When are civilians whistling the Deus Ex theme in Detroit? I've never heard it.

Also, not an east egg exactly, but Barrett's computer hack is in the shape of a bull's head

Painman
5th Sep 2011, 10:41
Try the alleyways behind the gas station, where the fire escapes into the apartment buildings are.

I've also heard the whistle elsewhere... later on.

Vasili
5th Sep 2011, 11:32
How come no-one has mentioned 0451? :P Seems kind of important to me haha.

Ashpolt
5th Sep 2011, 11:41
How come no-one has mentioned 0451? :P Seems kind of important to me haha.

People found out about it way before the game released....and then it was mentioned on page 2 of this thread anyway.

Ketzerfreund
5th Sep 2011, 19:12
Yeah, it's stone-old. Even in System Shock 1 (one!) the first door code was 451. To those that still don't know: It's a reference to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. The title is derived from the temperature at which paper ignites; the story depicts a world where all books are forbidden by law, and the firefighters go around burning them.

DarkDvr
5th Sep 2011, 19:31
[ WARNING!! SPOILERS!! ]

I'll start with a few that I remember on top of my head:

Bob Page at the first cutscene.
Bob Page also in the last scene, hiring Reed to work on Gray Death virus, along with creating Dentons (The "D" Project)
Joseph Maderley, as mentioned in several emails, is at this time a .. forgot, some kind of a big guy in global preparedness organization or some such. Orders FEMA around.
Radios in game not only play Unatco theme from the original (remixed though), but also a theme from La Guardia airport, if I'm not mistaken
JC, as mentioned by one of the emails in game, is a simple IT tech (Wrong JC! JC Denton isn't born at this time)
Many references to VersaLife, a subsidiary of Page Industries, looks like is connected to White Helix labs which "worked on" Adam
Elizabeth DuClare (one of the Illuminati leaders), mother of Nicolette DuClare, is a spokesperson for WHO (mentioned by Picus when aug chip is recalled)
Eliza Kassan might be either a prototype, or the actual Echelon III or IV system that was mentioned by Morgan Everett
NSF is mentioned in one of the news blogs I believe, but is translated differently, not as National Secessionist Forces, but something more sinister. Either an organization with same name, or they changed it? Hmm..
MaxxQ1 mentions that there are multiple emails in the game referencing Morgan Everett, as well as a computer that has its nodes (when hacking) laid out in the original DX logo.

Feel free to tell us what you've found or correct me where I'm wrong =)

Kodaemon
5th Sep 2011, 19:36
Bob Page at the first cutscene... looks like he already broke off from Illumiati and formed MJ12

According to DX lore, MJ12 was originally the research & development branch of the Illuminati. And was formed long before Page.

JC, as mentioned by one of the emails in game, is a simple IT tech at this time

This is, quite frankly, impossible considering the timeline. It's a different JC.

pringlepower
5th Sep 2011, 19:39
Oh yeah there's a subtle Fight Club reference in the Hive.

The pocket secretary with the 0415 (another 451 reference) begins with Tong's message that "The Bull has been asking about our little basement club again. Doesn't he know the first rule?"

imported_BoB_
5th Sep 2011, 19:40
The face of Eliza on the big screen is a pretty obvious reference to System Shock 2.
Elizabeth DuClare is the chairwoman of the World Health Organization (and is probably one of the voice in the opening sequence)
There is a guard of Belltower that you knock out two times in the game if you didn't kill him the first time.

JCpies
5th Sep 2011, 19:42
This is, quite frankly, impossible considering the timeline. It's a different JC.

It's probably me. JC is my nickname, maybe I'll become a simple technician on panchaea in 2027.

Also, there were some references to the moon base.

DarkDvr
5th Sep 2011, 19:57
According to DX lore, MJ12 was originally the research & development branch of the Illuminati. And was formed long before Page.

Hm.. yes, you are right it seems:
"JC's date of inception as March 17, 2054, with an "assigned birth date" of March 17, 2029" (Wikipedia)

So I guess he wouldn't have been born at that point.

MaxxQ1
5th Sep 2011, 19:58
[ WARNING!! SPOILERS!! ]

I'll start with a few that I remember on top of my head:

Bob Page at the first cutscene... looks like he already broke off from Illumiati and formed MJ12
Bob Page also in the last scene, hiring Reed to work on Gray Death virus, along with creating Dentons (The "D" Project)
Joseph Maderley, as mentioned in several emails, is at this time a .. forgot, some kind of a big guy in global preparedness organization or some such. Orders FEMA around.
Radios in game not only play Unatco theme from the original (remixed though), but also a theme from La Guardia airport, if I'm not mistaken
JC, as mentioned by one of the emails in game, is a simple IT tech at this time
Many references to VersaLife, a subsidiary of Page Industries, looks like is connected to White Helix labs which "worked on" Adam
Elizabeth DuClare (one of the Illuminati leaders), mother of Nicolette DuClare, is a spokesperson for WHO (mentioned by Picus when aug chip is recalled)
Eliza Kassan might be either a prototype, or the actual Echelon III or IV system that was mentioned by Morgan Everett
NSF is mentioned in one of the news blogs I believe, but is translated differently, not as National Secessionist Forces, but something more sinister. Either an organization with same name, or they changed it? Hmm..

Feel free to tell us what you've found or correct me where I'm wrong =)

The NSF started out with a different name, but it was later changed, while keeping the same initials. This is even mentioned in DX, I believe when you're listening in on the two bums inside the med clinic in Hell's Kitchen.

You must also have missed the half-dozen or so emails from Morgan Everett floating around in various computers and pocket secretaries.

I don't recall where it is, but there's a computer you can hack towards the end of the game that has all the nodes in the shape of the original DX logo that comes up on the DX splash screen. There's a screen shot of it here somewhere...

Also, many civilian NPC's are whistling the DX main theme.

DarkDvr
5th Sep 2011, 19:59

Ah, indeed, thanks for correcting me =)

DarkDvr
5th Sep 2011, 20:00
The NSF started out with a different name, but it was later changed, while keeping the same initials. This is even mentioned in DX, I believe when you're listening in on the two bums inside the med clinic in Hell's Kitchen.

You must also have missed the half-dozen or so emails from Morgan Everett floating around in various computers and pocket secretaries.

I don't recall where it is, but there's a computer you can hack towards the end of the game that has all the nodes in the shape of the original DX logo that comes up on the DX splash screen. There's a screen shot of it here somewhere...

Indeed, I missed the references to Morgan Everett and the logo.
I'll add it to the list, thanks! =)

Ashpolt
5th Sep 2011, 20:10
Megans autopsy reports are signed House M.D.

Edit: ... i might have been wrong and it was Gregory H. M.D. ...:C

It's Gregory H. Lui, M.D.

And now someone's pointed out, I noticed that the autopsy report on Malik's friend Evelyn was done by the same doctor. (As was the hacker's, but that's somewhat more obvious.) EM couldn't be bothered to think up more than two coroner's names, or evidence that the Illuminati were involved in the coverup of Evelyn's death? It makes sense given the relationship between Lee and LIMB, and LIMB and the Illuminati.

Yeah I should've just spoiler tagged that entire paragraph. But it's done now!

DarkDvr
5th Sep 2011, 21:24
Too much thread merging going on :hmm:

TrickyVein
5th Sep 2011, 21:28
I've made a cursory survey of this thread and I don't see where anyone has posted this (http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/346/selfpromotion.jpg).

Bravo, EM, brrrrravo.

pringlepower
5th Sep 2011, 21:51
I've made a cursory survey of this thread and I don't see where anyone has posted this (http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/346/selfpromotion.jpg).

Bravo, EM, brrrrravo.

Lol that's not it. There's also a Lazarus radio broadcast where he compares the dirty FEMA camp to... Toronto.

Bravo Eidos. A game isn't truly Canadian until it bashes on Toronto. Haha

MaxxQ1
6th Sep 2011, 01:15
Hey, Toronto isn't bad. That city produced great bands such as Rush and Triumph (and then there's Saga, out of Oakville, Ontario), have a somewhat decent baseball team, a better hockey team, and their city hall got blowed up real good with a nuke in Resident Evil: Apocalypse.

pringlepower
6th Sep 2011, 03:04
Hey, Toronto isn't bad. That city produced great bands such as Rush and Triumph (and then there's Saga, out of Oakville, Ontario), have a somewhat decent baseball team, a better hockey team, and their city hall got blowed up real good with a nuke in Resident Evil: Apocalypse.

Haha no Toronto is fine, it's just a Canadian thing (especially Montreal) to hate Toronto.

MaxxQ1
6th Sep 2011, 03:31
Haha no Toronto is fine, it's just a Canadian thing (especially Montreal) to hate Toronto.

I understand. It's the same in Ohio for those from Columbus (moi) to disparage Cleveland, or Michigan - specifically, Ann Arbor - during college football season. Go Bucks!

likta
6th Sep 2011, 08:24
In Megans white room in Omega Ranch the TV Newsticker mentions "Pirates sighted near Tortuga Bay". Pirates of the Caribbean?

jtr7
6th Sep 2011, 19:19
Tortuga usually means "Turtle". It's also a way of putting Pirate and Bay in the same line (a reference to some rotten scoundrels). Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortuga

# Tortuga (Haiti), a 17th century pirate stronghold
# Tortuga: Pirates of the New World, a computer game set in the Golden Age of Piracy era
# Tortuga (software), a software framework for discrete event simulation

:)

3nails4you
7th Sep 2011, 04:37
Just realized that the music from the prologue while walking into Sarif's office is the UNATCO HQ theme from the first game. Love it :D

likta
7th Sep 2011, 09:24
Tortuga usually means "Turtle". It's also a way of putting Pirate and Bay in the same line (a reference to some rotten scoundrels). Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortuga

:)

Ah OK, thank you. I never heard of Tortuga (Bay) outside of the PotC Franchise before. But I am still convinced that it is a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean :D

Romeo
7th Sep 2011, 09:37
The Hanger 18 one elicited a chuckle from me. But my favourite easter egg is the email that mentions "I've left easter eggs in all my messages". So meta. lol

Ashpolt
7th Sep 2011, 10:20
It's not a "reference" as such, but I lol'd when I found the pocket secretary in Picus titled "my passwords" which has all the guy's passwords - and his banking details! I love how it highlighted the abject stupidity of writing down such information, especially as I know people who do this all the time.

Painman
7th Sep 2011, 11:23
Ahhaha.

Click on the old Gramophone in Megan's white room. It'll play a snippet of the Templar Cathedral music from DX1.

nakedhand
7th Sep 2011, 19:12
Well, the cables have NCC 1701-D written on them.

Was going to post this. Good to see I am not the only one who remembers useless alpha numeric sequences. Can´t recall where I saw it first. But pretty sure it was before China.

And thanks for sharing all the awesome easter eggs!

Kodaemon
7th Sep 2011, 19:45
A bum during the return to Detroit drops a lot of references to DX1, ranting about, among others, "a sickness, gray and deadly, coming on the backs of twelve kings!"

Romeo
7th Sep 2011, 22:11
A bum during the return to Detroit drops a lot of references to DX1, ranting about, among others, "a sickness, gray and deadly, coming on the backs of twelve kings!"
Yeah, the psycho from the basketball court! I hit him with a dumpster.

likta
7th Sep 2011, 22:26
He pretty much predicts the events of Deus Ex. Remindet me of the anonymous radio caller in VtM:B.

Ashpolt
7th Sep 2011, 22:32
Yeah, the psycho from the basketball court! I hit him with a dumpster.

On my most recent playthrough, about an hour ago, I took out him and everyone nearby with the typhoon. And then threw their bodies into a pile.

I'm RP'ing a bit of a psycho, in case you couldn't guess.

3nails4you
8th Sep 2011, 02:54

See: middle of page 4 :D

JCpies
8th Sep 2011, 20:26
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Hung Hua Hotel's hacking nodes are in the shape of a naked female toso.

pringlepower
8th Sep 2011, 23:59
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Hung Hua Hotel's hacking nodes are in the shape of a naked female toso.

Yeah the devs really had a lot of fun with hacking nodes lol.

Romeo
9th Sep 2011, 00:41
Whaaaaat? No, You're talking silly talk... Now I have to play my way back past Detroit to see this. I never noticed before.

MaxxQ1
9th Sep 2011, 05:47
No big thing, but I just noticed that one of the computers in Singapore has an email from a Shanon Doherty.

Granted, it *might* be a coincidence in how closely it matches Shannen Doherty, but I doubt it.:rolleyes:

Frankly, I couldn't care less about the "person" anyway.

Vozlov
9th Sep 2011, 09:22
Emails on the Omega Ranch computers have some awesome references from Half-Life.

They are company memos that are word for word copies of the automated voice in the Black Mesa tram during the start of Half-Life.

I lol'd. Awesome reference.

Agent707
13th Sep 2011, 12:13
Last night, on my second game play, I noiticed something....

After AJ sets off "A BOMB!" to create the distraction in Singapore... He's mumbling about "Tong" having alteriour motives as he sees some Chinese guy hope on a boat, and is waving to AJ as he is escaping.

I noticed the name of the boat this time. "The Tracer" :scratch:

I'm wondering if that was Tong's son, "Tracer" hoping on that boat?

I also found another real small FF XXVII poster in a closet in Singapore.

likta
13th Sep 2011, 12:18
Yes, it is Tracer Tong. You did not pre-order the game, did you?

Jordasm
13th Sep 2011, 12:21
Yes, it's Tracer. Tong Si Hung is his father.

Agent707
13th Sep 2011, 17:24
Yes, it is Tracer Tong. You did not pre-order the game, did you?
How revolting... I'm locked out of a mission because I didn't pre-order? :(

Agent707
13th Sep 2011, 17:25
Uhhh... I've notice a lack of references to Invisible War... I'm guessing this community wants no rememberance of that game? lol

MaxxQ1
13th Sep 2011, 17:31
Uhhh... I've notice a lack of references to Invisible War... I'm guessing this community wants no rememberance of that game? lol

Well... if you want to stretch the connection a little bit, you could say that Eliza is a nod/precursor to NG Resonance.

jjc
16th Sep 2011, 01:16
Haven't seen these posted yet.

Two references to Ghost in the Shell.

During the riots in Detroit, Eliza makes mention of an aug company named Kusanagi.

Also, in Adam's apartment, there are free weights in the corner of his bedroom. It may be a stretch, but I think this is a reference to the weight training equipment Batou orders in SAC. Afterall, what would a man with mechanical arms need dumbells for?

MaxxQ1
16th Sep 2011, 05:42
Haven't seen these posted yet.

Two references to Ghost in the Shell.

During the riots in Detroit, Eliza makes mention of an aug company named Kusanagi.

Also, in Adam's apartment, there are free weights in the corner of his bedroom. It may be a stretch, but I think this is a reference to the weight training equipment Batou orders in SAC. Afterall, what would a man with mechanical arms need dumbells for?

Personally, I'd agree on both as GitS references. However, the free weights could have been there from before he got his shiny new arms.

Ilves
16th Sep 2011, 10:52
I loved how the row of protrusions on Hyron's creepy upside-down-lady-pods [pic] (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110906203909/deusex/en/images/thumb/0/00/Hyron-drone.png/638px-Hyron-drone.png), resemble, what, Icarus falling? A nod GitS's chopper wings?

Daedatheus
16th Sep 2011, 13:05

I think the free weights were, like many other things in his apartment, a subtly sad reminder of how much Adam's been forced to change. One of the best spots in the game IMO to have that change impact upon the player.

Patter
16th Sep 2011, 14:07
Couple hockey references. One of the hobos talks about how the wings got destroyed by the habs, and if I remember right he mentions that the habs won the cup the year previous. Also on one of the computers you hack in Picus there is an email about how one of the habs recent trades is worse than when they gave up on Carey (Price) in 2012.

Romeo
16th Sep 2011, 16:48
Couple hockey references. One of the hobos talks about how the wings got destroyed by the habs, and if I remember right he mentions that the habs won the cup the year previous. Also on one of the computers you hack in Picus there is an email about how one of the habs recent trades is worse than when they gave up on Carey (Price) in 2012.
In the first mission, one of the passwords is redwings as well.

Something I noticed is that the code to the garage in Derelict Row is 0187. A 187 is police code for a homicide.

jjc
16th Sep 2011, 17:44
Sorry for the double post, but it won't let me edit my last post for some reason (just hangs there...) and I thought this was worth sharing!

Something I didn't notice on my first run through the game, spotted in the Alice Garden Pods:

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m506/Ashpolt2/th_dxhr-NCC1701-D.jpg (http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m506/Ashpolt2/?action=view&current=dxhr-NCC1701-D.jpg)
(Click thumb for larger...much larger)

NCC 1701 D....now where do I recognise that from? Oh yeah! (http://tekgoblinmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/Enterprise_D1.jpg)

[EDIT] (It lets me edit this one!) Drat, for some reason photobucket downscaled my image, and you can't make out the detail on the smaller version. Well, the cables have NCC 1701-D written on them. If anyone can suggest a better image host, I'll re-upload tomorrow.

Dude, seriously... *applause* You should have unlocked an achievement with spotting that one.

hellrasinbrasin
17th Sep 2011, 08:48
Who caught the Gorillaz (Band) reference in Tong's office

jjc
17th Sep 2011, 13:47
Who caught the Gorillaz (Band) reference in Tong's office

The monkey with the machinegun arm? I thought the same thing too, but felt it was kind of a stretch.

Trainwreck
17th Sep 2011, 15:24
Then again, Deus Ex 1 wasn't exactly apt in displaying facial wrinkles. That e-mail surprised me, too, but Nicolette could very well be in her 40s in DX1. In DXHR, I shrugged her off as probably an intern at Picus.

Actually, it's a mistake on EM's part. Nicolette Duclare wasn't born until 2035.

AMV02
18th Sep 2011, 17:22
i wanna upload the pic's ik have, but i just got on and dont really No how to do tha, so just look them Up on F-Book and u'll get to C 'm to have fun look'n for them^^
(little head's Up though OMEGA BRANCH in the BARRACK's)

KingNL
18th Sep 2011, 17:38
Anybody else seen this?

Funny as hell :D

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3656/deufunny.jpg

AMV02
18th Sep 2011, 18:00
Easter Egg From Square Enix And I wanted To Show It To U'll But I don't Really No How To Do Tha, 'Cuase I Dont No how To UpLoad Pic's In A Treat Yet. Sooo... Just Look them Up on F-Book and u'll get to C 'm to. Oh... the pic's R On The Acc: Amv Inq, Have Fun Look'n For Them:scratch:
(Little Head's Up Though OMEGA BRANCH in the BARRACK's):rasp:Oh & If This Will Work Here's A Link To My SpaceBook (F-Book) Page:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002550560915&sk=photos

USER47
18th Sep 2011, 18:41
wut

JCpies
18th Sep 2011, 18:45
Nice profile pic.

Romeo
18th Sep 2011, 22:20
There's already an Easter Egg thread, and don't post a link to your facebook as it's spamming, which will result in a ban.

LOCKDOWN

jjc
18th Sep 2011, 23:43
Please. Stop. Writing.

MaxxQ1
18th Sep 2011, 23:52
There's already an Easter Egg thread that's several pages long. It includes pics of the FF XXVII poster, as well as many other Easter Eggs found.

Try using the search function if you can't find it - although it's probably on the first or second page.

In before the lock/merge/deletion.

Pldgmygrievance
19th Sep 2011, 00:00

Did anyone else notice the long speech that the guy gives in the alleyway on the second time to Detroit? The Twelve Kings will rise up and take control and all that? Really interesting...if you hear it, stop and listen. Basically, this guy accurately predicts all of the events of DX1. Really funny :D

Man I'd love to see this one.

dhedhemit
19th Sep 2011, 03:34
does the troll face stick near windmill's PC consider as an easter egg?

Romeo
19th Sep 2011, 04:52
does the troll face stick near windmill's PC consider as an easter egg?
It most certainly does! I was just about to post this, as a matter of fact. :D

hellrasinbrasin
20th Sep 2011, 11:36
"The Dutchman" a nice little nod to the story of "The Flying Dutchman: ;

The legend of the Flying Dutchman concerns a ghost ship that can never make port, doomed to sail the oceans forever. It probably originates from 17th-century nautical folklore. The oldest extant version dates to the late 18th century.

Sightings in the 19th and 20th centuries report the ship to be glowing with ghostly light. If hailed by another ship the crew of the Flying Dutchman will try to send messages to land, or to people long dead. In ocean lore, the sight of this phantom ship is a portent of doom.

And like, the Ship: Once Adam set off for The Omega Ranch and Panchea he knew in a way that he wasn't coming back.

Ashpolt
20th Sep 2011, 11:48
"The Dutchman" a nice little nod to the story of "The Flying Dutchman: ;

The legend of the Flying Dutchman concerns a ghost ship that can never make port, doomed to sail the oceans forever. It probably originates from 17th-century nautical folklore. The oldest extant version dates to the late 18th century.

Sightings in the 19th and 20th centuries report the ship to be glowing with ghostly light. If hailed by another ship the crew of the Flying Dutchman will try to send messages to land, or to people long dead. In ocean lore, the sight of this phantom ship is a portent of doom.

...I'm really not seeing any connection between the two, other than the word "Dutchman", which - shock - is also a word used to refer to Dutch people. Van Bruggen sounds like a Dutch name, so I would assume that's the origin of his nickname.

hellrasinbrasin
20th Sep 2011, 11:56
Van Bruggen is Dutch yes. That said Ashpolt the term : "The Dutchman" while Barret said it as reference to Bruggen it also had a 2nd meaning to it... The Dutchman as in The Flying Dutchman a story of a ship forever lost at sea never to return home sound familiar about what happens to Adam the 2nd he leaves Hengsha Seaport to go to Singapore from that point on in the game the theme of that story would be played out.

Ashpolt
20th Sep 2011, 12:00
...Except that you meet Van Bruggen on your first visit to Hengsha, not second, so you do return - and not only in a general sense, you even return to Hengsha specifically.

It really sounds like you're trying to make this idea fit (and very tenuously at that) rather than it being an intentional reference on EM's part.

hellrasinbrasin
20th Sep 2011, 12:05
I was talking about how once Jensen leaves Hengsha Island the 2nd time for where characters X are that his fate is sealed (Like The Dutchman) never to return.

Jason Parker
20th Sep 2011, 12:10
I have to agree to Aspholt here. Since van Bruggens Hackername/Nickname is windmill not dutchman and the term dutchman is mostly used by others to refer to him as the dutch guy. I wonder if "Windmill" is a reference to Don Quichote though reflecting on van Bruggen's ego as a hacker. He obvisouly thinks there's no system he can get into so any try to defend against it is like Don Quichote fighting the windmills.

Ashpolt
20th Sep 2011, 13:34
I was talking about how once Jensen leaves Hengsha Island the 2nd time for where characters X are that his fate is sealed (Like The Dutchman) never to return.

How do we know Jensen doesn't return to Hengsha (or, indeed, anywhere else) after that point? He doesn't return during the course of the game, sure, but in 3 of the 4 endings it's left open that he could well return. It's not like he just stops existing after the game has finished. The journey to Singapore (and later Panchea) is not one which Jensen is doomed never to return from.

But more importantly - what the hell does that have to do with Van Bruggen? (Beyond your tenuous speculation, obviously.) You're taking a character that appears at one point in the game, an unrelated event that occurs at another point, and trying to link them via a single word - and a common usage word at that, not even a proper noun. Coincidence does not imply causation.

[EDIT] OK, let me try: you meet Van Bruggen in the Alice Garden Pods. This is clearly a reference to the song Living Next Door to Alice. Evidence?

Living - people live in the Alice Garden Pods
Next Door - Adam frequently has to find the "next door" to get to his destination: doors frequently trigger plot-critical cutscenes
Alice - name of both the place and the title character of the song

Also, during the course of the song, the singer loses Alice, the woman he loves, in the same way that Adam loses everyone he loves. Clear and indisputable reference.

[EDIT 2] Also, that song was originally by Smokie - and many of the areas of the game have smoke in them! Also, it was covered by a Dutch band - Dutch like Van Bruggen himself! The evidence continues to mount!

ilweran
20th Sep 2011, 15:04
Going off the point a bit, but you just reminded me of this - are there any significant uses of the number 23 in any of the Deus Ex games?

likta
20th Sep 2011, 15:05
I have to agree to Aspholt here. Since van Bruggens Hackername/Nickname is windmill not dutchman and the term dutchman is mostly used by others to refer to him as the dutch guy. I wonder if "Windmill" is a reference to Don Quichote though reflecting on van Bruggen's ego as a hacker. He obvisouly thinks there's no system he can get into so any try to defend against it is like Don Quichote fighting the windmills.

Very unlikely. The Netherlands are famous for three things, and only three things: legal weed, tulips and windmills.

imported_the_guy
20th Sep 2011, 16:03
Just seen a nod to INVISIBLE WAR. On Picus TV it says that there's a film called Invisible War, and apparently it's doing really well.

Ashpolt
20th Sep 2011, 16:33
Going off the point a bit, but you just reminded me of this - are there any significant uses of the number 23 in any of the Deus Ex games?

When Tracer Tong analyses the Gray Death virus, he notes that the molecular structure is constructed in multiples of 17 and 23, claiming 1723 to be the birth year of Adam Weishaupt, the founder of the Illuminati. (According to wiki, this date's incorrect though, and Weishaupt was actually born in 1748.)

Didn't notice any in DXHR, but tbh I look out for the number 47 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/47_(number)) more.

Just seen a nod to INVISIBLE WAR. On Picus TV it says that there's a film called Invisible War, and apparently it's doing really well.

D'oh! I noticed that, but completely forgot to post about it. GJ!

MaxxQ1
20th Sep 2011, 16:40
How do we know Jensen doesn't return to Hengsha (or, indeed, anywhere else) after that point? He doesn't return during the course of the game, sure, but in 3 of the 4 endings it's left open that he could well return. It's not like he just stops existing after the game has finished. The journey to Singapore (and later Panchea) is not one which Jensen is doomed never to return from.

But more importantly - what the hell does that have to do with Van Bruggen? (Beyond your tenuous speculation, obviously.) You're taking a character that appears at one point in the game, an unrelated event that occurs at another point, and trying to link them via a single word - and a common usage word at that, not even a proper noun. Coincidence does not imply causation.

[EDIT] OK, let me try: you meet Van Bruggen in the Alice Garden Pods. This is clearly a reference to the song Living Next Door to Alice. Evidence?

Living - people live in the Alice Garden Pods
Next Door - Adam frequently has to find the "next door" to get to his destination: doors frequently trigger plot-critical cutscenes
Alice - name of both the place and the title character of the song

Also, during the course of the song, the singer loses Alice, the woman he loves, in the same way that Adam loses everyone he loves. Clear and indisputable reference.

[EDIT 2] Also, that song was originally by Smokie - and many of the areas of the game have smoke in them! Also, it was covered by a Dutch band - Dutch like Van Bruggen himself! The evidence continues to mount!

OOoo! I can play this game as well. It's actually a nod to Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant"... or, or... the Jefferson Airplane song "White Rabbit".... or...or Alice Cooper... or...or...

nevermind, I got nothin' else.

Post number 52 in this thread.

Jason Parker
20th Sep 2011, 16:40
Very unlikely. The Netherlands are famous for three things, and only three things: legal weed, tulips and windmills.

Oh you're right. I forgot about that. But I might want to add a fourth: they're famous for invading camping-grounds all over europe with motorhomes every summer ;).

ilweran
20th Sep 2011, 16:47
When Tracer Tong analyses the Gray Death virus, he notes that the molecular structure is constructed in multiples of 17 and 23, claiming 1723 to be the birth year of Adam Weishaupt, the founder of the Illuminati. (According to wiki, this date's incorrect though, and Weishaupt was actually born in 1748.)

Didn't notice any in DXHR, but tbh I look out for the number 47 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/47_(number)) more.

Thought I remembered seeing it somewhere. I'm a crap Discordian :D

likta
21st Sep 2011, 09:06
Oh you're right. I forgot about that. But I might want to add a fourth: they're famous for invading camping-grounds all over europe with motorhomes every summer ;).

Well, i know that, but i did not know that this "stereotype" is known overseas so i decided to not include it :D

Technically not an easter egg, but i love that you can see Jensens sleeves if he wears a coat, but you dont see them if he doesnt wear a coat (obviously) if you aim with the 10mm or Revolver.

jjc
22nd Sep 2011, 03:38

17 is also a number that has significance in the Illuminatus Trilogy books, and by extension, real world Illuminati legend and lore.

Tverdyj
22nd Sep 2011, 04:17
I'm guessing this is too obvious to be posted, but still:

the whole concept of a FEMA detention facility is a nod back to Simons interrogating that NSF soldier in DX.

GreasedScotsman
23rd Sep 2011, 02:38
Not sure if anyone's mentioned the Splinter Cell homage: There's an email in Hengsha that references Third Echelon, the branch of the NSA under which Sam Fisher operated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP2euu6J81E

http://splintercell.wikia.com/wiki/Third_Echelon

Pinky_Powers
23rd Sep 2011, 03:57
Not sure if anyone's mentioned the Splinter Cell homage: There's an email in Hengsha that references Third Echelon, the branch of the NSA under which Sam Fisher operated.

Where does it say "Third" Echelon?

Also, wasn't that email in Detroit, not Hengsha?

Onylra
23rd Sep 2011, 03:58
One of the 'major biotech firms' suffering from protests at it's premises late-game is named Kusanagi - I figured it was a nod to Ghost in the Shell's main character (a full-body cyborg), The Major (Motoko Kusanagi).

Coincidentally, this is the only half-decent GiTS game ever released :)

imported_BoB_
23rd Sep 2011, 04:04
Technically not an easter egg, but i love that you can see Jensens sleeves if he wears a coat, but you dont see them if he doesnt wear a coat (obviously) if you aim with the 10mm or Revolver.

You can also hear the frictions of the trenchcoat when he has it.

Iron and Copper
23rd Sep 2011, 14:26
Any one mention the Omaga Ranch emails referencing 'The Office', Dwight is a crazy anal retentive wannabe detective, someone is playing pranks on him and Jim has stolen his stapler. Loved that, shame the hidden camera wasn't actually installed, would have been cool to see a video in the email or something that he was sending to security or something

Karasu Taiken
24th Sep 2011, 00:02
While infiltrating Picus, one of the passwords was 'leafsuck'.

Random 420 references. The first was the building # of Adam's apartment complex. The last one I noticed was in Panchaea, when you're done in the Tower Control Room; the main security display behind you has 'Emergency Protocol 420' highlighted in red at the bottom of the screen.

And this last one was a big inside joke at work last year, so I was a little surprised to see it anywhere else. Turns out it was originally from WWII propaganda posters.
While in the FEMA camp, there was an email from Manderley ending with; "Remember: loose lips sink ships."

Gothik
25th Sep 2011, 23:25
At one point Tong contacts Jensen and is asked how he got the frequency. He replies "Ancient Chinese Secret". This may be a reference to Shadow Warrior where Lo Wang uses that phrase every time you find a secret area. It could also be a reference to a Calgon commercial from the 1970s and both Shadow Warrior and DH:HR both took the phrase from there.

MaxxQ1
25th Sep 2011, 23:31
At one point Tong contacts Jensen and is asked how he got the frequency. He replies "Ancient Chinese Secret". This may be a reference to Shadow Warrior where Lo Wang uses that phrase every time you find a secret area. It could also be a reference to a Calgon commercial from the 1970s and both Shadow Warrior and DH:HR both took the phrase from there.

Yeah, I just figured it was a reference to the Calgon commercial. I'm old enough that I remember seeing that when it first aired.

Tommo92
26th Sep 2011, 16:35
I'm not too sure who to show this information too, but the internet seems like a good idea, since there's plenty of exposure, and a fair chance it'll be noticed at some point and someone might be able to check it out.

In Hengsha, in one of the storage containers out of the way above the entrance to the subway station (I know there's 2, you'll have to search both locations), there's a message sent to anon@hengshadow.free.net.

It contains a whole lot of jargon and gibberish, and I'm not IT-literate enough to figure out what they mean, but I recognise them as either parameters or details about the game files. If anyone can cast any light on them, I'd appreciate the heads up.

Here's 2 screenshots, showing the entire message:
http://i.imgur.com/64PWL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VHLmQ.jpg

Encephalon
26th Sep 2011, 16:42
Being a singaporean myself, i was quite surprised to see one of the email in Singapore referenced to Katong Plaza which is a real place in Singapore
I suppose that'll qualify as an easter egg.

Also, not sure if this was posted before.
In the Collector's edition Making Of video, the artist mentioned that there was a name that was on the Teaser Video showing the human fetus, and was saying that it probably would be included in the game. Did anyone find any reference of it during gameplay?

InGroove2
26th Sep 2011, 16:50
In PICUS, there's an email to "JF". The email is long and basically a lecture on how to properly present information in light of how the "public" (which i translate to those of us who watched the development of this game) tends to deal with information.

i have to think that it's a meta refference/joke to perhaps something the real JF said that enflamed the hardcore DX fan-base.

it's both a rip on JF and a rip on the nit-pickyness of the community. maybe it's not what i think it is, but it's funny nonetheless.

imported_BoB_
26th Sep 2011, 16:51
In the Collector's edition Making Of video, the artist mentioned that there was a name that was on the Teaser Video showing the human fetus, and was saying that it probably would be included in the game. Did anyone find any reference of it during gameplay?

Well, you see it in the Sarif's ending. And you unlock The D Project achievement when you see the post-credits scene, so, it might be that.

MaxxQ1
26th Sep 2011, 17:26

I don't recall any "Emile"'s in the game, or mention of that name, so I don't know.

Daedatheus
26th Sep 2011, 18:40
I don't recall any "Emile"'s in the game, or mention of that name, so I don't know.

There are some emails in the PICUS building, can't remember if it's on ground level or in the MJ12 underground lair, that are addressed to AND written by someone named "Emile." He gets pissed off because someone calls him "Emily."

MaxxQ1
27th Sep 2011, 05:51
There are some emails in the PICUS building, can't remember if it's on ground level or in the MJ12 underground lair, that are addressed to AND written by someone named "Emile." He gets pissed off because someone calls him "Emily."

Yep... you're right. I remember that, but at the time, I didn't connect it with the first teaser trailer.

Kamikave
28th Sep 2011, 19:55
I just reinstalled DX 1, and after finishing the first mission, I couldn't help but notice that the code for the room next the UNACTO helipad is the same as Sarif's elevator : 0451 !
It's not a coincidence, right ? I wonder how many codes and passwords are the same between the two games...
Well played EM, I was delighted to notice that :)

LkMax
28th Sep 2011, 20:39
(...)
I wonder how many codes and passwords are the same between the two games(...)

Only the first password. It was just a nice reference to the first game. ;-)

USER47
28th Sep 2011, 20:58
Not only to the first game...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=0451&defid=6064486

drunkrussian9
28th Sep 2011, 21:40
Cool. I noticed too. I didn't know the code was that popular though.

Fluffis
29th Sep 2011, 00:51
... and of course, it was a reference in the first game too (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451).

Vasarto
29th Sep 2011, 02:42
I noticed it right away! That code as a special and personal Link to my everyday life. Its a part of me and I use it as the Pin for everything really.
It has a special place in my heart.

Its also the code to a door in Bio shock that is written in blood on a wall.

I actually guessed the code on my first try without even realizing that was the actual code to the wall or seeing the wall coded.
Crazy eh?

Pinky_Powers
29th Sep 2011, 03:02
The first leaked footage of Human Revolution was from their E3 closed-door screening of the Hengsha demo. In this demo that code was found on a data-pad in the men's room in The Hive, and it was used to unlock the door to the basement.

This was the first time the Press got a good look at the game, and it was one of many tools EM used to show how much their game was a "true Deus Ex title". :D

Vasarto
29th Sep 2011, 03:04
Yeah...I dare you to get a hold of any of my personal info though! My I.P Changes every six hours. None of my real info is linked to any Email or Forum Account I have ever used. I use nothing but digital transactions between all business matters so I never get statements or otherwise in or by paper.

I also erase all history, Cookies, I Format D Memory drive and wipe out all recent files and recently changed items at the end of each day before running virus and malwar,spyware and Use the Eraser program to clean up my deleted files at the end of each day.

zenstar
29th Sep 2011, 13:31
Yeah...I dare you to get a hold of any of my personal info though! My I.P Changes every six hours. None of my real info is linked to any Email or Forum Account I have ever used. I use nothing but digital transactions between all business matters so I never get statements or otherwise in or by paper.

I also erase all history, Cookies, I Format D Memory drive and wipe out all recent files and recently changed items at the end of each day before running virus and malwar,spyware and Use the Eraser program to clean up my deleted files at the end of each day.

That's a little bit paranoid, but I guess you'd have to be if you publish your PIN online :p

Raditude
5th Oct 2011, 21:45
I read an interview with Warren Spector. 451= Doorcode to enter old Looking Glass Studios office. The plot thickens.

Iron and Copper
6th Oct 2011, 13:41
I just reinstalled DX 1, and after finishing the first mission, I couldn't help but notice that the code for the room next the UNACTO helipad is the same as Sarif's elevator : 0451 !
It's not a coincidence, right ? I wonder how many codes and passwords are the same between the two games...
Well played EM, I was delighted to notice that :)

0451 is a reference to Ray Bradbury's book, Fahrenheit 451, (the temperature at which books burn supposedly) it is a code used in both the System Shock and Bio Shock series as well as Deus Ex. A derivation of the code is also found in The Hive. The Bradbury building is also a main location in Blade Runner, though not named after him the owners were friends of Ray and it is believed to be part of the reason the building was used for the film.

By the way, Fahrenheit 451 is a great book, I only got half way through because I lost it, but I recommend you all have a read. Also The Bancroft Strategy by Ludlum draws a lot of interesting parallels with HR, though it's not a sci fi/cyberpunk style or anything like that it's still has an interesting central question in it.

pukster
6th Oct 2011, 22:26
lol I found this on gaming.stackexchange (I haven't actually found it)

http://i.stack.imgur.com/nvSca.jpg

AlexOfSpades
6th Oct 2011, 22:55
That's from the concept art, pukster

MaxxQ1
7th Oct 2011, 04:46
lol I found this on gaming.stackexchange (I haven't actually found it)

http://i.stack.imgur.com/nvSca.jpg

Yeah, as Alex said, it was pre-release concept art/screenies. It's in the police station, right around Haas' area. In the game, the poster is still there, but with someone else's face.

Ninjerk
7th Oct 2011, 08:53
I read an interview with Warren Spector. 451= Doorcode to enter old Looking Glass Studios office. The plot thickens.

In Warren Spector's University of Texas master class I seem to remember Harvey Smith saying that some door into Ion Storm (or another studio he worked in) had also been programmed as 0451. When he asked how to get in, whomever was in charge told him, "You already know the code." Something to that effect.

CorsairS
7th Oct 2011, 16:05
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559795813635772312/AD9EB7FA246BE7E2B57C9AFA2ECFD85E12F4CB9E/

I think it's a reference for the TV series The Big Bang Theory, the female protagonist called Penny and acted by Kaley Cuoco.

PugPug
7th Oct 2011, 20:19

Finally! I was sad because I did not find any soda jokes. A pity it was tucked away in such an obscure place. I wanted a conversation between NPCs. There is one in Invisible War that I liked.

quantum
25th Jan 2012, 18:15
In the Singapore map where M. Reed is held, there is an email that she sends to somebody (its to one of the captive scientists - the one that got killed, sorry I forgot the name ) where she talks about working with a man named Delgado and his experiments relating to cognitive manipulation through the amygdala and hippocampus. As a philosophy and science student I immediately recognized it as being the José Manuel Rodriguez Delgado (1915-2011), the Yale professor of physiology who did conduct real experiments controlling the minds of bulls and other animals by stimulating the amygdala and hippocampus, which have been important experiments that are widely discussed in psychology/neuroscience and the philosophy of mind.

3rdmillhouse
26th Jan 2012, 03:50

Not, that actually refers to the Echelon supercomputer clusters administered by the NSA and responsible for combing over all civilian communications on the USA looking for specific keywords in order to pinpoint possible terrorist-related activities, amongst other problematic situations. Its existence never officially confirmed, but pops up everywhere in pretty much every major conspiracy theory.