PDA

View Full Version : SSAO Quality, possible to improve it?

LordWeasel
26th Aug 2011, 05:41
First off, let me just say that so far, DE:HR is damn near perfect. Controls are perfect, I'm getting the old Deus Ex feeling, it runs smoothly and it's stable as a rock (for me at least).

I'm just wondering if it is possible to increase the quality of the ambient occlusion, because it's a bit crap even on high. So much so, that I actually find it distracting and prefer to turn it off entirely.

When done properly, it really adds to the depth of a scene, and I would love to use it if the quality was higher.

Anybody got some tricks up their sleeves to make it less "grainy" and unnatural?
(I also really don't like that it follows the camera, like the grid inside highlighted objects, but that could just be the nature of how SSAO works.)

PS: Posting here in Tech, because I'm really not sure which forum this post belongs in. Feel free to move it to General if you feel that is more appropriate.

cyborg34572
26th Aug 2011, 05:58
"The SSAO on PC is not broken, but different. We opted to implement a more physically correct algorithm for the PC version that produces dark nooks and crannies as well as proximity shadows.

Jim Offerman
PC Lead Programmer "

But yeah, i too would like to have a "stronger" SSAO effect like the console versions. So far theres really no way to uppen the effect i think.

LordWeasel
26th Aug 2011, 06:42
"The SSAO on PC is not broken, but different. We opted to implement a more physically correct algorithm for the PC version that produces dark nooks and crannies as well as proximity shadows.

Jim Offerman
PC Lead Programmer "

But yeah, i too would like to have a "stronger" SSAO effect like the console versions. So far theres really no way to uppen the effect i think.

As it is now, it's looks like a strange chunky smoke. I'm having trouble believing the devs looked at it and thought "Yeah, this looks natural.".
To be honest, forcing SSAO with nHancer in Fallout: New Vegas actually looks better, even though it's unsupported (and still looks quite rubbish :p)
Still, gameplay over graphics, so I'm not gonna complain too much :)

On a gtx480 btw, in case it's just me glitching or something.

dimljajvbu
26th Aug 2011, 16:03
Oh, so THAT's what that horrible mottled texture-overlay is meant to be?! AO.. Which is meant to make things look *better*....
I was going to start a new thread about that, but I guess I don't need to.
If it was just "dark" without the "mottled" effect, it wouldn't follow your view and look completely weird, which would be a great improvement.
I'm going to turn SSAO off completely now and see if it goes away. I had tried changing other settings to get rid of it, but not that one.
Edit: Yes, that was it. Ugh. I hope they improve that in a patch, or I'll be leaving it off.

LordWeasel
26th Aug 2011, 22:11
Oh, so THAT's what that horrible mottled texture-overlay is meant to be?! AO.. Which is meant to make things look *better*....
I was going to start a new thread about that, but I guess I don't need to.
If it was just "dark" without the "mottled" effect, it wouldn't follow your view and look completely weird, which would be a great improvement.
I'm going to turn SSAO off completely now and see if it goes away. I had tried changing other settings to get rid of it, but not that one.
Edit: Yes, that was it. Ugh. I hope they improve that in a patch, or I'll be leaving it off.

Hehe, yeah. Wierdest SSAO effect I've ever seen :)

ajd155
26th Aug 2011, 22:16
It's not even real ambient occlusion. It looks like a static environment map (which is why the noise animates) that shows up wherever there is a 90 degree angle. If it was true ambient occlusion we'd see it under characters and round objects but we do not. EDIT: Looks like under *some* rounded objects it does show up, but it's still pretty nasty and blocky. Feels like a super low res shadow.

My bud has the game for ps3 and it looks 10x better than on the pc. This might be the first pc game I've ever bought that looks worse (on any settings) than the console.

Gvaz
26th Aug 2011, 22:23
I'd like to have an SSAO that projects properly, it looks like it's not even on now.

LordWeasel
26th Aug 2011, 22:24
It's not even real ambient occlusion. It looks like a static environment map (which is why the noise animates) that shows up wherever there is a 90 degree angle. If it was true ambient occlusion we'd see it under characters and round objects but we do not.

My bud has the game for ps3 and it looks 10x better than on the pc. This might be the first pc game I've ever bought that looks worse (on any settings) than the console.

Maybe we'll see an ability to force driver level ambient occlusion in the next nVidia drivers. Can't remember if you can with ATi Catalyst.

Probably not, but one can always dream :P

CHT
26th Aug 2011, 23:25
Yeah it looks really rubbish. I like the effect more on my PS3...and that is somewhat sad... ^^