PDA

View Full Version : Nonlethal Weapons Overpowered..........

nathanj
26th Aug 2011, 03:57
i started off initially planning on doing a regular kill em all and let God sort them out game. but after seeing how effective the stun gun and dart gun are id be stupid to NOT use them. they are one hit, silent and ammo is plentiful. combine that with the takedowns and i have to wonder why you get 20 extra points for doing a nonlethal versus a lethal when the nonlethal is far easier. yeah they can be woken up but if you watch the guards routes and time it right its easy to move the bodies out of the way and hide them. not sure how to do spoilers as i cant find a button for it so dont read past this if you dont want to know a part of the game.

SPOILERS:

SPOILERS:

probably the best example ive encountered that demonstrates this is when im trying to save malik. i didnt even know i could save her to begin with but thankfully i stumbled on a thread for it and saw a video of someone doing it with dart gun and takedowns. i havent quite done it yet but ive gotten to the point of only the robot being left so i will get it eventually. just for ****s and giggles i tried it with my other weapons. sniper rifler, 10mm pistol, heavy machine gun, frag grenades and gas grenades. i couldnt even get close to saving her versus using the nonlethal weapons.

Ratiocinative
26th Aug 2011, 04:07
If anything is overpowered, its the Revolver with explosive rounds and the Assault Rifle with the tracking system. Sure, the stun gun can take someone down in 1 hit, but you only get one shot before having to reload. The stun gun might be a little overpowered against heavies, if it takes them down in 1 hit (didn't try, just guessing), but other than that the Assault Rifle with the tracking system is by far the best gun in my opinion.

Sev
26th Aug 2011, 04:10
Cloak + Stun Gun is even easier.

MaxxQ1
26th Aug 2011, 05:12
not sure how to do spoilers as i cant find a button for it so dont read past this if you dont want to know a part of the game.

In the second row of buttons at the top of the reply window, third button from the right - it's the [S] surrounded by a blue square.

Or, if you want to do it manually, just type [ spoiler ] at the beginning and [ /spoiler ] at the end of the text you want to hide. Leave out the spaces I placed.

nathanj
26th Aug 2011, 05:28
cool thanks....all fixed now. :)

VectorM
26th Aug 2011, 05:33
You do realize, that those weapons reload after every shot and are not really all that good when you are not sneaking, right? And as other people mentioned, revolver with explosive rounds. Enough said.

Shinnflowen
26th Aug 2011, 05:38
The pistol is the best weapon in the game. With armor piercing rounds, silence, and laser targeting mod I can head shot enemies without being detected. I saved the pilot only using a pistol, typhoon, and icarus landing system.

nathanj
26th Aug 2011, 05:40
You do realize, that those weapons reload after every shot and are not really all that good when you are not sneaking, right? And as other people mentioned, revolver with explosive rounds. Enough said.

most people dont run n gun though, especially if your trying for the smooth operator bonus or the other one where noone sees you..........ghost i think. even then i have no problems running and using the stun when im in the middle of a firefight. your character is much faster than the guards so you just taze run duck reload run back and taze again. occasionally you have to hide for a bit to regen but i havent encountered any difficutlies using the stun gun or dart rifle in close combat.

nathanj
26th Aug 2011, 05:44
The pistol is the best weapon in the game. With armor piercing rounds, silence, and laser targeting mod I can head shot enemies without being detected. I saved the pilot only using a pistol, typhoon, and icarus landing system.

i tried sniping with the 10mm (also love that gun but only works with head shots) and i couldnt kill enough guards in time. i got much farther using the nonlethal weapons and takedowns. i got to the point of finally taking out the robot but im missing one guy somewhere because she still died. i wonder if using a emp grenade on the robot is the problem cause the robot explodes so it might be damaging the vertibird.

ishiki
26th Aug 2011, 09:38
Well for one. Turn off the reticule. that way you can't cheat, by hiding in cover and aiming at the same time.

Also the tranq rifle takes forever to reload. So if you there are 3 guys standing next to eachother... they wake eachother up before you can aim at them all (atleast for me).

Same with the stun gun.

Anyways

And the first one had the dragon's tooth... which was overpowered and awesome! I don't think complete balance is necessary in a game like this.

Lirezh
26th Aug 2011, 09:44
Deus Ex did have powerful items but I've found ammo more scarce and stuff like the sword or stunning was only possible at low range.
The crossbow was not that effective and alerted everyone around.
And in close combat things became a lot harder without ammo.

In HR it's by far more easy to take down an enemy.
They should really have tweaked the gun ranges and usages when playing on hardest difficulty!
I'd prefer beeing able to take a few more hits in exchange for more difficulty when attacking.

Well maybe a Mod will fix that! Changed gameplay and more difficulty would make a replay much more interesting.

pewpew
26th Aug 2011, 09:48
i thought "nonlethal weapons" were just vendor junk to sell for cash...who knew.

Cronstintein
26th Aug 2011, 19:29
I actually tended to use all my stungun ammo, but always had a ton of extra tranq darts. I think I'll have to go no-reticle next time, that's a good idea.

nathanj
26th Aug 2011, 19:53
the second thing i did after installing deus ex was turn off object highlights, reticles, takedown and cover prompts etc. to be honest ive played games without reticles for so long it doesnt matter anymore. you eventually just know where the center of the screen is even without a visual clue. the less clutter on my screen the better. i use iron sites most of the time anyways except for the 10mm with the laser.

as for large groups of people you simply use a gas grenade or PEPS. if its only three you dart the first one, run up and taze the second one and takedown the third one in that order. they wont even get a shot off unless you trip over you shoes. now try doing that with a normal gun and your going to get some holes in you.

i also tend to get a bit creative. if there are explosive or gas canisters on the level i like to set up ambushes. i get their attention and get them to follow me to my little trap and then i spring it. :) the only problem is that some guards wont leave a particular room and follow you. i cant complain though it makes it a bit more realistic. if your guarding something important you dont just run willy nilly after someone you hold your position and wait for backup.

dragunz
29th Aug 2011, 17:30

Definitely my first choice too, I decided from the start which 2 wpns I will use and the zenith with all mods is my favorite and it is a classy wpn too, revolver with exploding rounds kicks a$$ for sure but I chose the shotgun since I guessed that most encounters would be close range and also I am a shotgun fanatic in all gun based games.
I am bored by the assault rifle, smg loadout found in every games, for once handguns are great and hold more than their own so I thank the eidos team for that !

I play a stealth build so the stun gun is ABSOLUTLy critical and the main wpn with take-down aug for those chatting guards. stun gun can also disable cameras, stun aug-mercs and robots and is compact and ammo is indeed plentiful.

But I do not think non lethal are overpowered because it is a matter of playstyle, true even during a combat playthrough (I actually reload my old saves to replay certain parts with different augs so I can experience the gunplay more) they can help but are utterly not a viable option when face by fast approaching guards but true they are good against heavies.

again, even if the balance is not perfect, heck play the way you want it all weapons can be used at some point so have fun.

Jovena
29th Aug 2011, 18:58
I have to disagree for a few reasons:

1) you have to normally sneak or stealth to even get within range with the stun gun etc
2) the tranquilizer sniper does not always kick right in and also I have noticed other enemies can hear it sometimes
3) even if they are knocked out in 1 hit you still have to get to the body(if using tranq sniper), hide the body all while trying not to get caught.

So to sum up dead guys can't get back up stunned ones might! So I think it works perfectly fine the way it is....

sinosleep
29th Aug 2011, 20:47
You don't need to hide bodies, just tranq, stun, takedown, everyone else too. Eidos went out of their way to make damned sure you knew that the stealthy, nonlethal, hacker route was the one you should take.

sugaki
30th Aug 2011, 00:40
Stun gun can disable cameras? Never knew that... been playing as a non-lethal the whole time too, lol.

So to sum up dead guys can't get back up stunned ones might! So I think it works perfectly fine the way it is....

Not quite. I take down the baddies for the exp, then pop them in the head afterwards so they can't get back up. You get exp, enemies stay dead. Best of both worlds =D