PDA

View Full Version : What is with all of the marionette-type people in conversations?

GreyMouser
25th Aug 2011, 21:23
First off, let me say I'm enraptured by the game. It's fantastic. Love the action, the sneaking, the hacking, the multiple solutions to puzzles, everything. I've played Deus Ex through at least a dozen times over the years, and this is a worthy successor. Except for one thing:

Every conversation looks like the characters involved are all marionettes from "Team America." NOBODY moves that much when they talk! All the quick head-jerking, manic nodding, Jensen constantly jutting his chin out whenever he finishes a sentence, etc., really makes these things painful to watch. These conversations couldn't possibly have been motion-captured. They're too jerky. If I moved my head that much when talking to people, I'd get whiplash, and everyone would think I was strung out on speed.

I don't know how much work it would be to tone down the animation during the conversations at this point, but maybe in a patch...? It's just so horrible to watch after the third or fourth conversation.

JCpies
25th Aug 2011, 21:26
These conversations couldn't possibly have been motion-captured.

lol.

ishiki
25th Aug 2011, 22:08
I agree... I've only played it ten hours. But, if it ended now, it is My favorite game this gen. It is fantastic. And Deus Ex 1 is my favorite game of all time.

However. I agree the spastic movements are a bit annoying in conversation. I find the movements of them fine and not distracting out of conversations.

But, I normally don't look too closely at the characters. This does stick out a bit. I know in games like mass effect i find the characters a bit too static. But these ones seem to have drank too much caffeine.
The cutscene animation seems fine (but the general character convo's) are a bit annoying.

Rindill the Red
25th Aug 2011, 22:28
Lol. Yes. I know exactly what you mean. JJB talked about the comic book character design being to "make up for" the rather robotic movements of characters in video games. Seems like they took that as an excuse not to spend time making good animations.

Painman
25th Aug 2011, 22:33
Gotta agree. Loving the game so far, but these animations during conversations are a bit jarring.

neilthecellist
25th Aug 2011, 22:34
This game is so lazy, they focused so much on the plot mechanics that they let pretty much everything else go. Even Mass Effect 2, the most consolized piece of garbage FPS/RPG hybrid I ever played, had better character animations.

Lol. Yes. I know exactly what you mean. JJB talked about the comic book character design being to "make up for" the rather robotic movements of characters in video games. Seems like they took that as an excuse not to spend time making good animations.

This.

ishiki
26th Aug 2011, 03:58
This game is so lazy, they focused so much on the plot mechanics that they let pretty much everything else go. Even Mass Effect 2, the most consolized piece of garbage FPS/RPG hybrid I ever played, had better character animations.

This.

to say mass effect 2 is consolized. Doesn't make any sense. Since the original game was made only for the 360.

I agree they stripped too many things away in ME2. Maybe you could say streamlined or dumb downed. But consolization doesn't make any sense when it was a console series anyways. And consolization of something really has nothing to do with the animations.

(I Say this playing those and this on PC).

bobwalt
26th Aug 2011, 05:50
I think the programmers tried to mimic gestures and got carried away. Fortunately, the game is so outstanding it does not need stupendous graphics.

Rindill the Red
26th Aug 2011, 07:11
I think the programmers tried to mimic gestures and got carried away. Fortunately, the game is so outstanding it does not need stupendous graphics.

True. If you love Deus Ex and can stand its graphics, you can handle DX:HR which looks beautiful.

tinfish
26th Aug 2011, 12:50
This is the most obviously noticeable fault in DE:HR, it only has a few, but none are quite as immersion breaking as the cast of the thunderbirds.

GreyMouser
30th Aug 2011, 05:02
Lol. Title of this changed. Guess the mods didn't like "spastic." Which describes the motions perfectly...

ngen
30th Aug 2011, 07:23
I agree, its one of the few things that annoyed me with the game. Malik is one of the worse ones, her heads is all over the place when she talks.

jtr7
30th Aug 2011, 09:15
It's a problem with a lot of animation going back decades, with certain media titles having way too much movement, overselling and exaggerating, and people in mo-cap suits are being told to move a lot, when good mo-cap data can actually convey emotion best through subtlety. Just watching some of the gameplay vids for DX:HR, I see characters that are acting paranoid and nervous or deceptive and agitated when the moment doesn't call for it. The directors of the mo-cap performers need to start trusting their tech and let people be people if it's meant to be effective and within realistic parameters, even if pushed a bit. The unspoken mantra seems to be "If it ain't visibly animating at all times, it ain't animation".

demonbox
30th Aug 2011, 09:30
Every conversation looks like the characters involved are all marionettes from "Team America." NOBODY moves that much when they talk! All the quick head-jerking, manic nodding, Jensen constantly jutting his chin out whenever he finishes a sentence, etc., really makes these things painful to watch. These conversations couldn't possibly have been motion-captured. They're too jerky. If I moved my head that much when talking to people, I'd get whiplash, and everyone would think I was strung out on speed.

i guess u'r not from italy right? :D
i'm italian and trust me, there's plenty of people filling conversations with "silly" gestures over here, iìm pretty sure i do it myself a lot.
Some decades ago i went to germany with my parents, none fo them can speak a single german/english word, well my mother was perfectly able to ask things and get answers (i had to translate) by just using her hands/head gestures :p

have to agree thou, that chin...guess good 'ol Jensen got it augmented somehow

jtr7
30th Aug 2011, 09:43
If I was totally immersed, I'd want to keep looking over my shoulder to see what's distracting the characters behind me, and ask why they seem unable to maintain eye-contact in general.

demonbox
30th Aug 2011, 09:46
mind you i actually did it the first couple of times, before realizing npc were all like that :)