PDA

View Full Version : typhoon aug. Worth it?

loudent
25th Aug 2011, 21:07
I'm intrigued by the typhoon augmentation. It seems really cool, I'm just wondering if it's woth it? The ammo seems scarce and it seems very situational. I can only think of one or two places it would have been all that useful and in those cases a grenade or straight up firefight seemd just as effective (never mind the 12 other ways it could have been handled).

If it's something I have to hoard because ammo is scarce I'm not sure I'd have fun with it.

Anyone get it and use it during the game? would you recomend it?

Jerion
25th Aug 2011, 21:10
I'm intrigued by the typhoon augmentation. It seems really cool, I'm just wondering if it's woth it? The ammo seems scarce and it seems very situational. I can only think of one or two places it would have been all that useful and in those cases a grenade or straight up firefight seemd just as effective (never mind the 12 other ways it could have been handled).

If it's something I have to hoard because ammo is scarce I'm not sure I'd have fun with it.

Anyone get it and use it during the game? would you recomend it?

I found it to be really useful if you set up situations for it. You can draw groups of enemies together, for example, then come up behind them and use it. I haven't found occasion for it to be useful as a primary weapon, but as an emergency if you run out of ammo or are rushed by targets, it's very nice to have.

PlasmaSnake101
25th Aug 2011, 21:52
No. Simply. I can't imagine using it without the help of other augs like Stealth.

MaceUk
25th Aug 2011, 22:02
Being a human claymore? How can that not be worth it? :)

Montag
26th Aug 2011, 01:02
So far no. Not very non-lethal, but could see using on bosses.

thanos
26th Aug 2011, 01:08
Interesting is the word.

Cronstintein
26th Aug 2011, 04:14
It can really help with boss#2.

I got it late in life on my hacker playthrough but next round I'm definitely putting it in early for my psychopath playthrough.

I would never say you need it. So pick what's right for your character ;)

Shinnflowen
26th Aug 2011, 05:19
It's extremely useful for taking out groups of enemies that rush you or surround you, robots, and bosses.

jason95821
26th Aug 2011, 05:22
have not used it myself
but lot of problems with being flanked or in close with enemeys all around

loudent
26th Aug 2011, 07:02
Heres why I asked. First off the ammo for typhoon is the scarcest ammo I've seen, second it consumes a powercell. In a game like this, mobs don't rush you, they fire at you from afar, that means you have to get nearthem. But to do so you have to cloak or stealth. If you cloak that means you need to eat a bar becasue the typhoon itself consumes a cell.

ammo + cell seems like a steep cost for minor return.

thanos
26th Aug 2011, 07:07
But still,the chance to be a human claymore? Yea, i bought it.

AlexRabbit
26th Aug 2011, 13:54
Hello, need some help.
Sometimes player want to change his augmentations.
May be his previous decision not suitet his playstyle or augmentation's don't work how he think.
Does it possible to "clear" previously choosen augmentations and pick up a new one?
Or I need play from the very begining if I want to to play with another augmentations?

City Builder
26th Aug 2011, 15:09
I was looking for a way to respec my augmentations but did not find one. I've assumed it's not possible in the game.

MonkeyLungs
26th Aug 2011, 15:18
I suggest saving before you make choices, then choose augs and go and try them out. If no like, then revert to earlier save and pick different ones.

Quillan
26th Aug 2011, 16:15
No, in this game it's not possible to un-make an augmentation choice. They're permanent. Fortunately, no choice you make precludes any other. You just need to get more Praxis points and buy the augmentation or upgrade you wish. It may require some progress to earn the experience, or money and exploration to find or buy the Praxis gets for instant points, but it's doable.

Back in the first game, each slot could hold two different augmentations, but you could only choose one of them. Once you'd installed one of the augmentations, you had forever lost access to the other. Sometimes it didn't matter, and sometimes it did. I think I like this system a bit better.

Rawkus
26th Aug 2011, 17:31
Here's a question, though. Is it possible to eventually have EVERY possible augmentation equiped? Or is there some sort of limit involved at some point?

Quillan
26th Aug 2011, 18:32
I think I've read that you can't earn enough Praxis points to get every possible augmentation in the same playthrough. You earn Praxis points every 5000 xp I think, and the quests in each area only give so many even with potential bonuses for Ghost and Smooth Operator successes. The LIMB clinics in Detroit and Hengsha only carry 2 Praxis kits each, so you can only purchase two in each area. There are a couple in places that you can find or earn via quest reward, but even those have limits.

Absolutionis
26th Aug 2011, 22:49
You'll later find uses for the system, but it's a spoiler to tell more.

However, rather than stocking up ammo for the Typhoon, it always seems better to simply use a grenade. Always.

atheelogos
26th Aug 2011, 22:49
I suggest saving before you make choices, then choose augs and go and try them out. If no like, then revert to earlier save and pick different ones.

I think its better to hold on to praxis points until you actually need a specific augmentation.

atheelogos
26th Aug 2011, 22:51
The LIMB clinics in Detroit and Hengsha only carry 2 Praxis kits each, so you can only purchase two in each area.
That's not entirely accurate. Every time you visit a new a hub there are two you can buy at the limb clinics. Even if you've been there before.

nomotog
27th Aug 2011, 00:03
You need to set it up, but it's a very cheap way to take out large gropes of guards. It also is useful for taking out robots so tou save your emps for other things I bought it and I have had a nice time using it.

badmonk
28th Aug 2011, 15:41
i heard typhoon is good on boss battles??
i am mainly stealth character so might upgrade my typhoon, get ammo and just save for boss battles as the first boss was kinda hard as most of my points are in stealth etc

Risingred
28th Aug 2011, 15:46
The LIMB clinics in Detroit and Hengsha

There's actually a third LIMB clinic.

flipperflopper
28th Aug 2011, 15:58
I Did find it quite useful in mass killing the zombies on the last level, pretty funny actually... jump on high ground and wait for them to gather around then kill 10 at once. :D

Nealus
28th Aug 2011, 16:05
Depends on your creativity. Attract enemies, come out of nowhere and explode.

badmonk
28th Aug 2011, 16:40
so its good for the boss battles please guys? as like i said above, i am kinda a little weaker re armor/guns etc as i am more stealth this play through!

Daedatheus
28th Aug 2011, 18:33
so its good for the boss battles please guys? as like i said above, i am kinda a little weaker re armor/guns etc as i am more stealth this play through!

It's actually really good for boss battles, because you're invincible while you activate it, and it does quite a bit of damage.

Badly Browned
28th Aug 2011, 18:49
I only ever used it during the last mission location.

badmonk
28th Aug 2011, 19:29
It's actually really good for boss battles, because you're invincible while you activate it, and it does quite a bit of damage.

Thanks a lot!! Def gonna invest in it now :)

MonkeyLungs
29th Aug 2011, 02:08
I think its better to hold on to praxis points until you actually need a specific augmentation.

I don't think that's better I think it goes hand in hand. Save up points, get augs, try them out, reload if you don't like you choices.