PDA

View Full Version : "Motherly Ties" Unable to complete Xbox,PS3, PC

Shadowtm
25th Aug 2011, 17:04
In the quest where you are helping Cassandra Reed in "Motherly Ties" when I complete the quest and go through all of the talk options available, it stays in the conversation but no one talks and I can't select any options and am stuck. On a side note, that detective in the police department, who you are supposed to find the drug dealing information from his computer has not shown up in this playthrough.

hoegaarden
25th Aug 2011, 20:06
I have the same bug on PC....

MaynardLD50
25th Aug 2011, 20:39
Welcome to the life :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edSFmHYA28Q

I still can't figure out how to beat it. Someone mentioned talking to Chet Wagner in the police station and after you complete that you're good to go. Problem is, when I walk into the police station and talk to the guy up front I get the cold shoulder.

BSL4VIRUS
26th Aug 2011, 02:15
I'm having the same issue, playing on xbox360, please fix this bug soon...

yutomi
26th Aug 2011, 02:44
There is a solution.

You first must back in time and talk to detective Chase, then go directly to the police station and talk first to Wegger, he would stop talking to you. Hack his computer, found some prove he is a corrupted cop.

After hack his computer, talk to him again. He will conffese and you're done whit Motherly Ties.

He is your secondary quest. Yes it's bugged.

You can wait for a patch (that i dont think its gonna come out)

Or you can just do what i tell you. Talk to Chase, go to the police station to talk whit Wegger, stop talking, hack his computer, talk to him again and you're done.

Cheese everyone.

petermania
26th Aug 2011, 14:23
I also have this issue here on the PS3. I think the problem is this - I triggered the Motherly Ties sidequest but didn't do anything about it before I went into the police station (and then didn't do anything other than visit chase before the first boss fight). I made it all the way to the morgue ghosting it but then got frustrated and just made a run for it. I knocked out only one person, and I believe it was wagner. He's still lying there in the lobby when I go to the police station - and looking online it's the same guy. But I got the locker and hacked the captains computer, and so the game is telling me just to go back to cassandra and end the mission - when I do, I get only three options as others have experienced. Seems if you knock out or kill wagner while going to the morgue you're screwed on this sidequest, but the game doesn't tell you that. and its a legit bug since if you try and end it in conversation with cassandra the game stalls out and you have to reload.

cupojava
26th Aug 2011, 21:12
Just wanted to chime in that I ran into the same bug on the PC version.

I just ended up killing Cassandra :P

brucek2
26th Aug 2011, 21:18
Same problem here, on PC.

I tried the advice above, where I went to the police station straight after talking to Det. Chase. Wagner was not in the lobby (is there somewhere else I should look for him?)

Really frustrating. I don't want to have to start the entire zone over (I'm basically done with everything else, I did things out of order, and I'm afraid going to the police station morgue was one of the very first things I did).

This is going to make me very paranoid for the rest of the game to try to figure out what order the devs are expecting players to do things in, and to only do them in that order.

mtuffli
26th Aug 2011, 21:20
I'm *extremely* happy with the incredible job you guys/gals did in the patch re: load times -- they've been *astronomically* reduced on my system (down to only a couple seconds off SSD, from 15-20 seconds before).

But I'm also dumbfounded that the Motherly Ties bug hasn't been fixed, with it having been reported on the day of release (in the US). This is ridicu... okay, not "ridiculous"... but it's really close to becoming ridiculous. I can't believe more people aren't demanding the same, as said bug has been widely reported all over the intarwebs.

Please just fix it. fixitfixitfixitgaaaah

I paid fifty bucks for the game. I'm trying to maintain my composure here. :mad2:

Thank you! :thumb:

p.s. i wasn't kidding about the patch... fantastic job

cupojava
26th Aug 2011, 21:47
Give them time. They have to make sure that fixing one mission bug doesn't introduce another mission bug, and so on.

smilinpig
27th Aug 2011, 21:37
On the Reed sidequest ( find out about megan's death for her Mom) I go to the apt lobby talk to her...hit the dialog finish quest: there are 3 responses, ME, Witness and one about the fire...after exhausting those answers, the dialog box comes up again empty..the characters stare at each other, it pans to AJ and back but there is no resolution to the mission. I've reloaded, quit, restarted XBox, reloaded, gone back a save or two, tried everything, even cleared my cache...no luck.
I have not seen any reports of similar problems..not good

I did D/L the DLC this morning and when I delete that to see if its the cause I cannot load ANY saves because it says content is missing..

And about the DLC..Explosive mission pack..is there an actual mission or just the extra goodies you find in the safe?

thanks appreciate help
Game is pretty good otherwise except I am not a 'boss' battle fan..
SP

TamakiGal84
27th Aug 2011, 22:45
On the Megan Reed side-quest mission, I completed all necessary tasks to complete the side-quest. Afterward, right before fully completing the mission where you meet with Mrs. Reed at the apartment lobby to discuss all investigated findings. I came across a dialog screen for interacting with Mrs. Reed, but only three choices were displayed: Witness, Incident, and Investigation. After selecting all three answers the dialog box comes up again empty and the characters are staring at one another blankly, so I can not completely finish the side-quest. I've reloaded, quit, restarted my PS3, and reinstalled the game. And still no luck.

I have not seen any reports of similar problems. So if someone could find a solution to this problem it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, -TG84-

ShakinJ
28th Aug 2011, 00:08
Same problem here.
i waited over 10 minutes for the dialog sequence to finish, it didn't.
there are also seemingly random statements that come up in the subtitle box...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Playing the Augumented PC version with the Explosive Mission Pack preorder bonus.

ShakinJ
28th Aug 2011, 00:12
Same problem on the PC Augumented Version with the Explosive Mission Pack.

brucek2
28th Aug 2011, 03:34
Google for Motherly Ties and you'll find lots more reports of this.

Your choices at this point are to either a) just continue on with the game, never turning in this (optional) quest; b) redo as much of this level as you need to so that you first visit Detective Chase (prior to any police station activity), then immediately visit the police station and talk to Detective Wagner; or c) stop playing for now and hope its not too long before Eidos puts out a patch.

I eventually chose (a). It was frustrating but by the time I got caught up in the next level I mostly forgot about it.

Yes, it is super lame they did not catch this.

slitka
28th Aug 2011, 03:35
EXACT same problem here. Hopefully they will release a patch soon. I'm stuck.

TamakiGal84
28th Aug 2011, 04:38
I was having the same problem too with the dialog interaction screen, but with my PS3 version. I'm not sure if this might help with the Xbox version, but it doesn't hurt on giving it a shot!

I found that the side-quests are very picky, you must play them very carefully and you must obtain every piece of evidence needed or complete all tasks correctly to complete each side-quest.

In the "Motherly Ties" side-quest with Mrs. Reed, you cant forget to speak to Captain Wagner two times, after you talk to Wagner the first time, go and hack Lieutenant Penn and Captain Wagner's computers then go back and speak to Wagner again for the second time. (The conversation is more like blackmailing him than talking to him ) He'll gladly give you information about mercenaries and that will be your forth dialog entry when you speak to Mrs. Reed on completion of the side-quest.

(Oh..... and if you keep the bracelet of Megan Reed's that is in that garage lockup you'll get a trophy)

I hope this helped your problem.
-TamakiGal84- :D

The Fathergamer
28th Aug 2011, 06:10
I have a 360 "Aug" version...same issue.I'm thinking about restarting the game.:mad2:

kalleklappstuhl
28th Aug 2011, 10:38
Exactly the same here... Quest not finishable and no Wagner in the lobby :(

Xanadude
28th Aug 2011, 10:49
Yep same frustrating error here. After hours following this quest it's a major bug that has royally pi**ed me off.

I hope there's:
A. A patch to fix this soon
B. No more bugs as game stopping as this!

Ravanofdarkness
28th Aug 2011, 12:50
I'm on my third playthrough on Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the Xbox360 and each time this Side Quest seems to Bug/Glitch out not letting me Completing it or showing me on what to do next. This is the last thing it told me on what to do for this Side Quest.

Side Quest: S1 Talion A.D.

Primary Objectives: Read the Dead Agent's Pocket Secretary.

Description:
The Dead Soldier in the backstore had a Pocket Secretary on him. I should take a look, see if it can help me locate Zelazny.

So after reading the Pocket Secretary named: On the move, it say's theres a safe spot in the sewers. Which i checkt out and i can't find anything. Yet my Side Quest log still say's the same thing as before and isn't Updating my current Objective after reading the Pocket Secretary.

Just wanted to let the Developers know about this problem and hopefully it can get fixed very soon.

Edit:
After finding the Guys in the sewers my Objective Updated.

Bercut
28th Aug 2011, 17:53
I have the same problem on PC. Pocket Secretary doesn`t marked "read". A have i save file right before this moment, if the devs need it to investigate. Now i`ll try to find this guys manualy.

EDIT: Yes, quest updated then I found this guys by myself. But it`s a bug anyway, i think.

vianna77
28th Aug 2011, 20:05
Hey guys, I'm playing DE:HR in my PC and got the same problem! It's about time to fix that bug!

kr,

MCV

Fasterkatt
28th Aug 2011, 22:58
I'm going to say it's working as intended (considering I had zero issues finding him). The game intends for you to find him yourself, it gives you pretty obvious hints at where to look. Considering there are only two separate sewer areas in Hengsha looking at your map should make things very easy.

Bercut
28th Aug 2011, 23:14
Hey guys, I'm playing DE:HR in my PC and got the same problem! It's about time to fix that bug!

kr,

MCV

Locate this guys by yourself.They are in the sewers near Alice Garden Pods at Kuaigan district. Screenshots with location is in my profile (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971059213/screenshots/)

vianna77
29th Aug 2011, 15:16
I'm going to say it's working as intended (considering I had zero issues finding him). The game intends for you to find him yourself, it gives you pretty obvious hints at where to look. Considering there are only two separate sewer areas in Hengsha looking at your map should make things very easy.

Fasterkatt... this IS an error because the mission is not being updated properly, even after finding Tong!

Got it?

vianna77
29th Aug 2011, 15:18
Locate this guys by yourself.They are in the sewers near Alice Garden Pods at Kuaigan district. Screenshots with location is in my profile (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971059213/screenshots/)

Hi Bercut, thanks for the tip! I already finished the game... I found those guys! The problem is about the bug. I want the fix, not a workaround! ;)

jamesieboi
29th Aug 2011, 15:27
Ive posted a similar bug that totally breaks my side quest s3 motherly ties when speaking to mother in order to complete the tast it runs out of options for user input and the only way to back out is to load to a previous state.

anyone had issues with this too and if so how did you overcome?

Link
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1666820#post1666820

Fasterkatt
29th Aug 2011, 16:17
Fasterkatt... this IS an error because the mission is not being updated properly, even after finding Tong!

Got it?

The original post and quest in question does not concern Tong in any way, so I fail to see what you're getting at.

If you're having a different error where none of your objectives are getting updated then this is the wrong thread for you.

vianna77
29th Aug 2011, 16:22
Fasterkatt,

The original post (the entire thread + the 1st post from Ravanofdarkness) is just about that specific bug of not having the mission status updated!

Fasterkatt
29th Aug 2011, 16:36
Fasterkatt,

The original post (the entire thread + the 1st post from Ravanofdarkness) is just about that specific bug of not having the mission status updated!

His original post was addressing the quest Talion A.D. which does not generate a quest marker after reading the pocket secretary. The game expects you to have reading comprehension to deduce where he could be and to search him out yourself, judging by how the quest text specifically tells you to read the Pocket Secretary for hints at where he could be hiding.

vianna77
29th Aug 2011, 17:01
Man, this discussion is really exhausting!!!

Fasterkatt: Even after finding the pocket secretary, going to the place where I should go, find the people I should find, talk to them and do everything I should do, the mission status does not update! It doesn't even give a mission complete! Do you get it know??? It IS A BUG! I do know that there are missions that except the player to figure out by himself what he should do, but this is not the case.

Fasterkatt
29th Aug 2011, 17:08
Thank you for clarifying the issue you are having. The issue Ravanofdarkness was having was he did not look in the correct location judging by him mentioning:

Edit:

There are two separate sewer sections in that particular hub which he was probably unaware of. Do any other objectives of yours have the same issue of not updating?

vianna77
29th Aug 2011, 17:20
Nope, just this one!

Actually, after finishing the game I just found 2 bugs.

This one and another one regarding a screen flicking during the last boss fight (the one with the augmented super soldier), right after the Chinese boss clicks her remote control and the screen starts to fail. The vision of Jensen starts to get flicking/glitching and that's how it suppose to happen, BUT when I hit ESC to go to the savegame screen, the glitching/flicking keeps happening DURING THE SAVE SCREEN! :)

That's a really weird bug!!!

Crash Cilea
30th Aug 2011, 02:51
Same here on PC

Pls fix this glitch !!

Jamsession
30th Aug 2011, 07:31
Similar bug for me, getting no quest marker after getting the quest. Found a butcher's shop but can't get in. Went to where Zelazny is supposed to hiding and he hasn't spawned because I haven't been inside the butcher's yet.

Fasterkatt, read Raven's original post again. Sounds like he's having the same problem as others. You were wrong, don't be an *******.

Kilrae
31st Aug 2011, 17:03
I have the same problem. It is a glitch because if the mission is to do something specific, it should update when you do it, like it does with every other mission. I have no problem with being told to go figure it out myself (I think the game relies to heavily on following quest markers from place to place) but it's entirely out of step with the rest of the game.

Further, when I took the door to Kuaigan District, the pocket secretary disappeared from my media log. I doubt that was intentional.

Iggy_Prondexter
1st Sep 2011, 08:24
Im in the same boat as Jamsession.

I cannot even get into the Butchershop to access the dead body.

Ashar
1st Sep 2011, 11:27
I found an easy work around, i shot Cassandra Reed in the head, that soon 'completed' the quest

Lorx7
1st Sep 2011, 22:21
Hi there i have an issue with this quest. Its done but when i turn it in but then i ran out of chat options and i was there with the chat option menu open but i cant pick anything and im just standing there. this is on the PS3

xaliqen
2nd Sep 2011, 04:25
Same problem here (PC version). Please fix this bug!

kyprioth
2nd Sep 2011, 04:34
I had also written this same bug up in another thread that got ignored, so I'm glad it's come up again now. I'm on PC, same issue, please fix.

Fasterkatt
3rd Sep 2011, 01:00
Similar bug for me, getting no quest marker after getting the quest. Found a butcher's shop but can't get in. Went to where Zelazny is supposed to hiding and he hasn't spawned because I haven't been inside the butcher's yet.

Fasterkatt, read Raven's original post again. Sounds like he's having the same problem as others. You were wrong, don't be an *******.

The issue you are describing is different, Raven's problem was after finding the dead body and the pocket secretary he did not know where to find Zelazny since the quest is not designed to provide you with a quest marker for it. The issue you are having seems to be legitimate seeing how you are unable to access the body at all?

I'm sorry if some of my previous posts have come off as condescending, the reason being I found it baffling the lack of reading comprehension people have :rolleyes:. And to be honest your post certainly reenforces this view :).

Anyways in hopes to clear up my original point of view on the subject I'll do a run through of the quest:

1. Speaking with the doctor at the limb clinic starts the quest.
2. You should now have a quest marker that leads you to the butcher shop. Two ways to get there, through a Level 1 secured gate in the Youzhao district, or a non secured gate (loading screen) from the Kuigan district.
3. Upon finding it go through the open doorway at the shop (similar to many of the other shops in China). You will find a staircase leading down to a second room, inside you will find the body and pocket secretary. Something to note here as well you do not have to be on the quest to gain access to this area, on my first play-through I raided the place in search of items long before this quest is available.
4. After acquiring the pocket secretary your quest will update telling you to read the pocket secretary.
5. Reading the secretary will give you clues on where to find Zelazny, actually clues is misleading it blatantly tells you to check the sewers.
6. At this point in time the quest WILL NOT give you a quest marker, the quest is designed this way so people can perform their own sleuthing.
7. Looking at our map we can see two distinct sewer areas in Hengsha (technically three but one is very very tiny, leads to The Hive I believe?). This being a guide we will investigate the area Zelazny is located.
8. Head towards the Pod hotel.
9. The area outside the Pod hotel you will see a slum/drainage area below, you will find the sewer access there.
10. Once in the sewer it's a simple matter of locating Zelazny and speaking with him or taking him out the choice is yours.

Now, if this quest is not playing out this way for you, then yes there probably is an issue to fix for those having it. To restate, Raven's original post dealt with receiving no quest marker once he retrieved the pocket secretary telling him to check the sewers, as designed by the developers.

Further proof my original post pointed at Raven's is correct I quote:

So after reading the Pocket Secretary named: On the move, it say's theres a safe spot in the sewers. Which i checkt out and i can't find anything. Yet my Side Quest log still say's the same thing as before and isn't Updating my current Objective after reading the Pocket Secretary.

And then later after discovering the other sewer access by the Pod hotel he states:

Edit:

Hopefully this clears things up for you in regards to my original intentions, if you're having a legitimate issue I'll be glad to try to help you solve it. Just try to be civil ;).

Edit: Updated the quest info to remove references to opening any doors. Going through my third play through and I am at the butcher shop right now. Those of you who cannot gain access to the body are simply not looking in the right place. Also added a little more info on the shops location.

vt_mruhlin
3rd Sep 2011, 02:47
So I have a slightly different situation regarding bugs in this mission (but related to the same pocket secretary).

1) ok, so I had the same thought everybody else did after reading the secretary. "Gee, I should see some update telling me to go to the sewers." There were plenty of other obvious checkpoints like that in other quests, so I figured the inconsistency was a bug, not a "feature".
2) I quickly decided to try again, so I paused and loaded the latest auto-save (which was taken right after finding the pocket secretary the first time). Checked the body, no pocket secretary. Checked my inventory, no pocket secretary in my inventory either this time.
3) Went back and loaded the previous autosave (which was taken right as I entered the butcher shop). Searched the body and the PS was there.

Read this forum and saw you guys saying I just need to go find the guy. So I went to the sewers and ended up at the Harvesters' chop shop, which I'm guessing is the wrong sewer. Got killed a few times and went to read the PS again to see if there were any more details about where in the sewer it was. It was gone from my inventory again.

So, I'm guessing the PS in question vanishes when you load the game, which is undoubtedly a bug, but maybe not an important one. I haven't gone and found the guy in the sewer yet, but let's see if I can still complete the quest sans pocket secretary. I'll check back here tomorrow afternoon with my results.

(btw, I'm on the xBox version. Your mileage may vary on other platforms)

razor85
3rd Sep 2011, 13:41
Enforcing a need for the patch =D

Monkfisssh
3rd Sep 2011, 15:54
Same problem, hurry up Eidos with the patch, being an achievement hunter, im needing those two achievements for completeing the side quest and keeping the braclet :l

P.s. Im on the xbox 360 version with the extra dlc from the limited edition.

JoeAdamsIV
4th Sep 2011, 00:49
Hi there, on the quest "Motherly Ties", my game glitches when talking to Mrs. Reed.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa380/JoeAdamsIV/WTFisthis.jpg
This is NOT a pirated copy.
Any help is appreciated.

vt_mruhlin
4th Sep 2011, 04:53
ok, so I found the guys today and finished the mission. The bit about the PS disappearing is still a bug, but at least it doesn't break anything.

As for the misleading objective, they should rename it to "find (dude's name)'s hideout" or something, with "hey, look at the pocket secretary for clues" as the details.

Pulseczar
5th Sep 2011, 01:38
I have not yet tried to return to Megan's mother, because I noticed that the Secondary Objective, "Locate Officer Wagner's Office" has not been marked as completed yet. I remembered trying to talk to him in the lobby and how he wouldn't say anything. I was reminded that I needed to find dirt on him after reading mission objectives. I went back to the 3rd floor looking for his office. I discovered that I had already been in there and read his emails to get the dirt on him, yet the Secondary Objective is not marked as completed. And when I go back to the lobby to try to talk to him, he still just tells me "we're done here", as though I have not presented any dirt on him.

I hope I don't have problems when I return to Megan's mother to finish the main quest. I see a lot of people are having problems with that. The Primary Objectives section is telling me to return to Megan's mother. So maybe the Secondary Objective with Chet Wagner has been disabled and can't be completed. :(

If it's any help to the devs, the Primary Objective, "Go To The Police Station Lobby" to talk to Wagner, has also not been checked off in the Missions Log, even though I've been there, of course, and tried to talk to him.

Edit: It did let me finish Motherly Ties, but I had to report Wagner as a dead end -- "couldn't get through to him". Who knows what XP or goodies that cost me. I did get 1000 XP, which seems to be what I should get, according to a walkthrough page.

Idyll23
5th Sep 2011, 19:08
As Ive proceeded well Passed this side quest in Detroit I'm unwilling to return to an older state, but the entirely motherly ties quest appears to be hung at the before mentioned dialogue bug at the completion.

I've returned to the police department and spoken to every officer (save for the three I knocked out earlier), hacked or accessed every computer and I've spoken to Chase, but still the issue persists. I have to say this should have been caught in QA. I am now patiently awaiting a patch so I can proceed on to china without forfeiting all of my previous work on this side quest.

Please help us.
Patch this soon.