PDA

View Full Version : Gamestop pulls all PC copies of DX:HR from shelves

MaxxQ1
25th Aug 2011, 15:37
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/gamestop-under-fire-removing-free-coupons-deus-ex-234821510.html

Update:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/gamestop-pulling-deus-ex-human-revolution-pc-off-shelves-updated/3618/

Good thing I got mine Tuesday...

Dr Greenthumb
25th Aug 2011, 15:56
I think the publishing companies should sell the games directly, gamestop and the likes moan to much and the developers and publisher could get moremoney cutting out the middleman i.e. the retailer

Keiichi81
25th Aug 2011, 16:38
UPDATE: Square Enix has issued an official statement regarding today's events, basically apologizing to GameStop for not informing the retailer about the coupon in advance of the game's release.

“As part of Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s boxed offering on PC, Square Enix included a third party coupon," said the company in a statement. "GameStop was not made aware of this inclusion and Square Enix respects the right of GameStop to have final say over the contents of products it sells and to adjust them where they see fit in accordance with their policies."

"Square Enix invites gamers who want to purchase the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without additional coupons to buy the game at any one of over 4000 GameStop stores in North America," continued the statement, "or purchase a digital download copy online from www.gamestop.com ("http://www.gamestop.com). “

What. The. ****

GameStop opens new copies of their game voiding the return policy, removes included consumer value content, sells it to unknowing customers as "new"... and Square Enix APOLOGIZES to GameStop and promotes further sales at their retail and online locations?

Did the world turn upside down at some point?

I don't care if GameStop was butthurt about not being told of the included competitor coupon. That's not an excuse. If they were so opposed to the coupons, they should've left the packaging intact, honored their existing pre-orders and THEN pulled the product from shelves. Instead, they deceive their customers and then play the victim card when they're caught...

Risingred
25th Aug 2011, 16:42
I got my copy of the AE unopened and there was no coupon in there. : /

edit: ah the regular version. Gamestop done ****ed up pretty bad and screwed over EM in the process.

neoshi
25th Aug 2011, 16:46
Eh this is why I've never purchased from GS..

You will also probably notice that when you buy games from eBay as "New", they come with Gamestop receipts on occassion and although they're shrink wrapped, they're most likely already played by whichever employee that the eBay account belongs to.

Keiichi81
25th Aug 2011, 17:02
I used to work in a grocery store. We sold newspapers in this grocery store, as most usually do. Inside those newspapers were coupons for competing grocery chains. At no point would we (or anyone else) think it acceptable to tamper with those papers and remove the competing coupon booklets, then sell the paper to the customer at full price simply because we "don't want to promote competing chains". GameStop's attempted rationalization is pathetic, and it in no way excuses intentionally deceiving customers.

MaxxQ1
25th Aug 2011, 17:23
I got my copy of the AE unopened and there was no coupon in there. : /

edit: ah the regular version. Gamestop done ****ed up pretty bad and screwed over EM in the process.

There is a coupon in my AE copy from Gamestop. It doesn't matter to me because I don't use OnLive anyway.

While I understand GS' reasoning, they really should *not* have opened the games. They should simply have released a statement explaining their issue, pulled the game until they got new copies without the coupon, and returned those that did have it to Squeenix.

Opening the game and then selling it that way was just wrong, and Square should have at least ripped into GS for doing that, and apologized only to the gamers that were affected by this.

Reven
25th Aug 2011, 17:27
Whats on this Onlive coupon that comes with the game that gamestop don't like ?.

Keiichi81
25th Aug 2011, 17:35
Whats on this Onlive coupon that comes with the game that gamestop don't like ?.

It was a coupon for a free digital copy of DXHR via the OnLive cloud gaming service. GameStop didn't like it because apparently they're planning to roll out their own online cloud gaming service in the near future.

MaxxQ1
25th Aug 2011, 17:35

From the coupon:

Instantly Play FREE

Deus Ex: Human Revolution on PC, Mac, or TV with OnLive!

Activate DX:HR NOW!

Visit www.onlive.com/DE3BONUS

Your Promo Code:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Learn about OnLive cloud gaming:

www.onlive.com/service

GreyTemplar
25th Aug 2011, 17:40
It was a coupon for a free digital copy of DXHR via the OnLive cloud gaming service. GameStop didn't like it because apparently they're planning to roll out their own online cloud gaming service in the near future.

They already have their own online game service. Have had it for a while. It's called Impulse. It's just not commonly known about.

JCpies
25th Aug 2011, 18:02
Companies like this remind me of CoD. I hate CoD.

Cavalieroscuro
25th Aug 2011, 18:09
Hi,if there is anyone that wouldn't use the Onlive coupon,please can give it to me?Thanks :)
P.S. In Italy,in the Gamestop,there are no onlive codes for Deus Ex.

demon boy
25th Aug 2011, 18:11
The conspiracy thickens...

How fitting that something like this would happen with a Deus Ex game!

ZakKa89
25th Aug 2011, 19:10
f gamestop

Badmagic
25th Aug 2011, 20:12
Companies like this remind me of CoD. I hate CoD.

I'm not keen on Cod either, I much prefer Haddock... :D

Sorry, joking aside, I kind of wish Square would give them some of their own medicine, e.g. "It's open, you cant return it.", that said I'm sick of every store having a different pre-order package on offer, all stores and distributors should have the same deal, if one of them cant compete tough. God forbid companies are forced to compete for consumers cash in a way that can benefit the customer.

AlexOfSpades
25th Aug 2011, 20:28
You have ten seconds to give me an unopened DX game box before i add you to the list of Gamestop casualties.

vecima
25th Aug 2011, 22:31
Gamestop deliberately decieved me, the customer. I was not told that the code was taken out of the package. It was not until I arrived home and removed the re-shrink-wrapped plastic that I realised the code was missing.

Their entire premise is bunk. They do not currently compete in the same space as OnLive. OnLive will be rolling out an android service soon. Can gamestop provide pc games to my android device? No. It cannot.

I just spoke with GameStop customer service about returning the game, which they have been instructed to accept. The reason he gave is that OnLive is not a company that they have any partnership with.

I suppose if Square Enix wanted to thank me for buying the game by including a $50 gift card to the Outback Steak house in the box, well gamestop would have no choice but to open my game up and take it out.

Now I suppose I'll see if I can find a copy of the game elsewhere that comes with the code. Does anyone know if Amazon is providing the OnLive codes in their copies? This is a semi-moot point, as I now own the game on steam, and after returning will probably still own it, but I want a boxed copy of the game, preferably the Augmented Edition.

Quickjager
25th Aug 2011, 22:39
Can't we just agree Gamestop are greedy ******* bastards?
Tampering with a box, THEN selling it as new is illegal, don't even make me mention that they could be sued because of false advertising because very obviously part of what we paid for was missing.

As for Square Enix apologizing... what the hell are you guys doing? They tampered with YOUR product causing YOUR customers to become unhappy thus potentially losing a large market of buyers. Hell the should be apologizing to YOU and shivering in fear of a lawsuit.

lhaymehr
25th Aug 2011, 23:18
What. The. ****

GameStop opens new copies of their game voiding the return policy, removes included consumer value content, sells it to unknowing customers as "new"... and Square Enix APOLOGIZES to GameStop and promotes further sales at their retail and online locations?

Did the world turn upside down at some point?

Makes perfect sense to me. Just Microsoft being Microsoft trying to fly low but crashing into the radar. And consumers getting sexus up the anus, like usual.

talonius
26th Aug 2011, 04:13
So... with Gamestop pulling their copies of DE:HR, does that mean we could expect Eidos to release their "exclusive" DLC to the public at large? I'd really like to play it, but I refused (before this fiasco) to do business with them.

Just an idea that would help balance out their karma, man.

(Other ideas were too violent and against the forums ToU to be posted.)

StingingVelvet
26th Aug 2011, 04:54
I would imagine they will sell the pre-order DLC on its own eventually, almost every game does (at least on Steam). It will probably take months though, Gamestop likely have an agreement for that amount of time.

Shinnflowen
26th Aug 2011, 05:11
There's usually a 30 day, 3 month, 6 month, or lastly 1 year exclusive deal when it comes to stuff like this.