PDA

View Full Version : Custom Control Scheme

OceanRipple
25th Aug 2011, 13:18
For a game that is all about player choice and comes from a PC background I find it disappointing that you have restricted the control scheme to a pre-set, unchangeable, standard.

I have noticed this with a few games now and was surprised to see it also being the case in Deus Ex: HR as well, I simply can not understand why anyone would create such an amazing and complex piece of software and then restrict the player and not allow him/her to control and enjoy the game in the way he/she wishes.

So here I am, asking, please patch the console versions (PS3 user myself) to allow users to customize and map their own control scheme to their own preference so that we can enjoy this game even more, without having something so basic and simple yet so important to the core gameplay get in the way.

I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears, thanks and keep up the great work. :)

Urahara
25th Aug 2011, 14:01
For a game that is all about player choice and comes from a PC background I find it disappointing that you have restricted the control scheme to a pre-set, unchangeable, standard.

I have noticed this with a few games now and was surprised to see it also being the case in Deus Ex: HR as well, I simply can not understand why anyone would create such an amazing and complex piece of software and then restrict the player and not allow him/her to control and enjoy the game in the way he/she wishes.

So here I am, asking, please patch the console versions (PS3 user myself) to allow users to customize and map their own control scheme to their own preference so that we can enjoy this game even more, without having something so basic and simple yet so important to the core gameplay get in the way.

I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears, thanks and keep up the great work. :)

What he said.

VectorM
25th Aug 2011, 14:11
Should have bought it on PC then

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/7/73/20110128203738!Trollface.png

Dan Phillips
25th Aug 2011, 14:42
I just found out I can't play this game. Why? because I'm left handed. I use southpaw sticks and having paid good money for this game I'm absolutely devastated that I can't make any adjustments which means it's being traded in tomorrow.

Absolutely ridiculous. I'm furious- why is this becoming common practice? I can see no reason whatsoever that any studio can have for not including custom controls, never mind at least more than one set up. :mad2:

OceanRipple
25th Aug 2011, 15:51
Should have bought it on PC then...
Believe me, I would if had a PC capable of running it (hopefully will get one soon). I got properly into, and saw the potential for gaming on the PC in the first place with the likes of Half Life, Deus Ex and Thief... But slowly dropped out of the upgrade cycle and got into console gaming, and for the most part I have been very happy with it, but the lack of customization options has always been a personal issue for me (maybe exactly because of my PC origins).

I'm furious- why is this becoming common practice? I can see no reason whatsoever that any studio can have for not including custom controls, never mind at least more than one set up. :mad2:
Obviously I agree 100%, glad to hear it's not just me that thinks fully customizable controls should always be a must have in every title. In fact I've always maintained that the more option you give the player to control/play the game the way they prefer the better.

And as you say it isn't a issue simply with DE:HR, (this just happened to be a game/series I care enough about to go through the trouble of joining a forum to voice my opinion), in fact I thought they had it right when I found out they listened to the fans and created a toggle option for the yellow object outline in the game. So was surprised and disappointed that they would take a backwards step when it came to control options/setup.

Most devs seem to think it's ok to at most give 2-3 alternate control setups to the user, but even that is too little in my opinion. It's an unfortunate trend in gaming it seems (seems even PC games ship with less and less options these days) and hopefully if enough people voice their concerns it will change... We aren't stupid or afraid of a few options, especially when they can improve our enjoyment of the game.

Creating accessibility and ease of use has never been synonymous with removing or providing less options. The most recent title I remember that got it right on the console side was Gran Turismo 5... giving the option to map each individual button to any action you preferred and allowing you to set input sensitivity.

Dan Phillips
25th Aug 2011, 16:52
the original timesplitters let you map every single function. How did we go so far backwards as to get to this? It's a damn shame because like you I'm not in to PC gaming and this just means I can't play the game at all.

My only consolation is that I got a really good deal online and only paid £20. I can go to Game tomorrow and get more than that on trade in value which I can put towards something else like Halo or Gears.

hdcase
25th Aug 2011, 17:29
I almost made an account here just to come in and say the same thing (before I realized I had an account from way back). But yes I agree, customized controls would be a huge benefit to this game. I really dislike the left trigger being used for cover, I'd much rather use it for iron sights. Also I'd rather have crouch be on B rather than the left stick.

Please patch this if at all possible. I think a lot of fans would appreciate it. I know I would.

JCpies
25th Aug 2011, 18:05
Oh my God, I can't have Call of Duty controls! *cancels pre-order*

hdcase
25th Aug 2011, 18:07
Oh my God, I can't have Call of Duty controls! *cancels pre-order*
I think that's an overly dismissive and snarky attitude to have. What about, for example, left handed people who aren't comfortable with the standard stick/trigger layout? There's literally no downside to a customized control scheme. Why shouldn't people be allowed to choose what's most comfortable for them?

JCpies
25th Aug 2011, 18:13
Because I'm a PC elitist snob who owns a PS3.

hdcase
25th Aug 2011, 18:16
Well OK. Part of it for me is I don't use the 3rd person cover system at all (I find it jarring and kind of unnecessary), so it's a big waste of a trigger button for me. Aiming with it would make sense.

GreyTemplar
25th Aug 2011, 18:16
I completly agree with this, and would also like to add one thing that should be added. The ability to turn off the Ironsights toggle. If I can't remap cover to the right stick and ironsights to left trigger, at least allow me the ability to turn off the toggle Ironsights, as my controller is an ONZA, I can remap any button to one of my two extra shoulders so rightstick becomes right shoulder to, a little less familiar but more comfortable.

OceanRipple
25th Aug 2011, 19:14
The ability to turn off the Ironsights toggle...
Ah yes, completely forgot to mention that but agree, both "crouch" and "aim down sights" should always have the option to allow you to switch between toggle and hold to use... :thumb:

Casper_N7
25th Aug 2011, 22:16
I made an account here to just ***** about this lol.

But seriously though, there is no reason why the game shouldn't have remappable buttons, the crap we have now is just being obnoxious and lazy. Sure I could get used to playing with the current layout but I would enjoy the game a lot more (which should be the goal of game devs) if I could change the controls around a little.

Hell there are even petitions trying to get custom button remapping to become the standard in gaming which literally thousands of people have signed, do Square Enix and Eidos really want to say play it this way or gtfo to those people?

http://www.petitiononline.com/cu5t0m/petition.html

P4NCH0theD0G
26th Aug 2011, 04:44
Did someone say "toggle" for ADS/Ironsights? And LT for cover? They must've been playing some Splinter Cell Conviction at Eidos...
I don't usually b*tch about controls unless there is no "Invert Camera" Option that only applies to the Y-axis. Otherwise I can get used to a lot. Still, I can see how especially the toggle for ADS could be frustrating for the more action-oriented people, and pulling LT seems to be the industry standard when it comes to action FPS. But what can you say? A lot of companies make weird choices these last few years (Bioware, anyone?).
Let's hope they fix it, patch it, update it... can't be that hard.
Me, personally, I'm still waiting for the setup being done via the console, where the games basically have no button layout, but just functions listed to assign yourself...

Signed that petition, too...

batian
26th Aug 2011, 11:11
Wow no southpaw, no legacy, and no way to re-map button. Welcome back to the 80s. It's sad i am a Legacy user so i will pass over this game. They are 4 basic controler schem that every shooter should have like big franchise like Halo, COD, MW, Gear of War, Battlefield, Cryssis and more. Default, default-southpaw, Legacy and Legacy-southpaw. Don't count strafe so Default=using the 2 stick to move around and one to aim and Legacy=one stick to move around and 2 to aim

http://altgamecontrols.com/definitions.php

genebean
26th Aug 2011, 17:17
Add me to the list of people who are upset that you can't customize the controls (on PS3).

P4NCH0theD0G
27th Aug 2011, 03:18
Such a sorry and sad thing this is... I honestly cannot find any logical reason for not at least offering different button layouts. And I've been trying.

Eidos, help, please?

Nillaz
28th Aug 2011, 01:48
I made a thread asking about alternative controls on consoles 2 months ago and was told no such luck. Thought I'd check back to see if there had been any further developments and see that nothing has changed. It's a shame, I would still love to buy this one.

P4NCH0theD0G
29th Aug 2011, 05:26
Different/customizable button layout for consoles to make an action-oriented approach seem more in tune with a regular shooter experience:

LS: Movement; RS: Aim; L3: Sprint(Hold or Toggle); R3: Crouch (Hold or Toggle);

LT: Iron Sights (Hold); RT: Fire; LB: Cover (Toggle); RB: Grenade

The rest can stay as is.

lobo77
30th Aug 2011, 12:17
Which controllers are you guys using? Cuz I have a workaround for the Xbox 360 controller. Both Southpaw and Legacy.

Here > http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120358

Charadesmith
30th Aug 2011, 12:34
Buy on PC. Pc can't handle? Shouldn't have wasted money on consoles. Want to play consoles? Too bad, can't have everything

imported_the_guy
30th Aug 2011, 13:00
Buy on PC. Pc can't handle? Shouldn't have wasted money on consoles. Want to play consoles? Too bad, can't have everything

At the moment a PS3 costs about £200 new, a computer that would play most of today's games at high graphics can cost £1000+. I'm not rich.

Silentbutdeadly
30th Aug 2011, 13:07
At the moment a PS3 costs about £200 new, a computer that would play most of today's games at high graphics can cost £1000+. I'm not rich.

The key word you used is HIGH graphics...a minimum spec PC would be £240: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compaq-sg3-320uk-desktop-pc-09885835-pdt.html

EDIT: That was the only link I clicked on to look for a price, you could probably get it sub 200 if you looked around, and if you were to self-build you could probably save an even larger fraction of that.

Rivvik
30th Aug 2011, 13:21

Ah but we can. You see, this is a simple oversight. Same as if they made a microwave for your breakfast burritos (because I automatically picture you as comicbook guy from the Simpsons) but no ability to change to cooking time off of 5 minute intervals.

I've been on both sides of the fence of the PC vs Console debate, and I found that it really doesn't matter to anyone but the player.

You wanna play on Xbox 360, on a couch chatting with your boys over xbox live? Go for it.

You wanna play on PS3 on your new glorious HDTV, then pop in a BluRay movie for a night with your lady? You got it.

You wanna huddle over your monitor in a dark room in your nice comfy office chair, for an intimate night of Hi-fidelity gaming? Such is not only your privilege but your right.

To say one is better is an opinion. And opinions are like buttholes: The louder yours is voiced, the more likely is it stinks.

Charadesmith
30th Aug 2011, 13:22

That argument never stands

For one, console games are quite more expensive. And second, PCs are multi use. You're posting, therefore you have a PC. Instead of buying low end pcs, just buy a mid-high end one and keep it for years. You won't need anything else and it's cheaper in the long run.

Rich..lol. I have a PC that runs everything and i don't even have a car or a job for that matter (still in college)

Rivvik
30th Aug 2011, 13:39
i don't even have a car or a job for that matter (still in college)

Not only does this not surprise me, but mommy n daddy don't buy us all our things anymore. I did my time in college (which I paid for by working). Now I work and have to worry about bills and food. So yes, price point IS an issue.

Brian175
30th Aug 2011, 13:44
That argument never stands

For one, console games are quite more expensive. And second, PCs are multi use. You're posting, therefore you have a PC. Instead of buying low end pcs, just buy a mid-high end one and keep it for years. You won't need anything else and it's cheaper in the long run.

Rich..lol. I have a PC that runs everything and i don't even have a car or a job for that matter (still in college)

Console games are like $10 more expensive. And that's only if I'm constantly buying new releases. I'd have to buy something like 30 games to start making a dent towards a PC. And I'm on a laptop, and will always be on a laptop, which nullifies your low end PC argument. I've had a Xbox360 since 2006 and a PS3 since 2008, I've never had to upgrade either and probably won't for a couple more years. Trust me I used to be into PCs when I was in High School and prior because consoles couldn't compare. They didn't have Deus Ex, Counterstrike, Mechwarrior or Baldur's Gate. Hell, I remember playing Deus Ex and being disappointed I couldn't quite run it at 1024x768 because the framerate dropped too much. I don't even know how this argument came up. It's about changing controls, something standard practice on consoles for years. I just want to be able to turn my cloak on the move. I don't think I need a PC for that. In honesty, I could just take the $100+ I spend on booze on the weekends and put it into a PC, but we all have priorities and mine is going out. I just want to be able to play a great game the once or twice a year they come out. I guess I'm a has-been hardcore gamer/current casual.

Romeo
30th Aug 2011, 16:13
As the OP said, get back on track. I don't understand why every time someone mentions a console, the "hardcore PC players" freak out. I'd swear they suffer from insecurities...

On to the original topic, I'm completely with you, custom mapping would've been preferable in every way. Hell, even different control schemes would've been acceptable. I've been playing first-person exclusively, so for example, I would've much preferred the sights on the left trigger instead of cover. Sadly, there is absolutely no way to do that as it stands.

Rivvik
31st Aug 2011, 03:15
Ironically enough, I did some testing on the Xbox 360. You know that messaging keyboard attachment for the 360 controller? It has full functionality for password entry and security keypad entry with the in-game interface (not even the dumb xbox keyboard thing) all without bringing up the software keyboard, but they neglected to add a config option that's been present in most console games since the 16-bit era.

This is something that needs to be in the game, especially when you consider that the current control sceme for both the Xbox AND PS3 is, quite frankly, bizarre.

Romeo
31st Aug 2011, 08:02
Ironically enough, I did some testing on the Xbox 360. You know that messaging keyboard attachment for the 360 controller? It has full functionality for password entry and security keypad entry with the in-game interface (not even the dumb xbox keyboard thing) all without bringing up the software keyboard, but they neglected to add a config option that's been present in most console games since the 16-bit era.

This is something that needs to be in the game, especially when you consider that the current control sceme for both the Xbox AND PS3 is, quite frankly, bizarre.
Pardon me if I don't understand, but are you asking them to allow mapping to the little text-pad thing? I'll level with you here... That sounds awful.

Rivvik
31st Aug 2011, 13:16
Pardon me if I don't understand, but are you asking them to allow mapping to the little text-pad thing? I'll level with you here... That sounds awful.

Not quite. I used the text pad thing and was able to enter text as though using the in-game keyboards/numpads at computer logins and keypad door locks, yet I find it crazy they let you do that but not customize your controller layout.

Crassclown
5th Oct 2011, 03:12
I rented this game via GameFly after I heard about the control problems. Glad I did. Tried it for a few minutes to see if I could get something to work, then promptly put it back in the envelope so I can return it.

All I'm asking for is the ability to flip the sticks so that I can use my controller like I use my keyboard & mouse.

And don't give me the response that Bioshock moderators gave me, that I should just learn to control it right-handed. I've tried over the years and NO game with worth the pounding headaches I would get.

And we're also not able to purchase a PC at this time... maybe I'll wait and pick it up in a few years when we have a powerful enough computer... I'm sure it'll be in the used bin buy then :P

Ligerion
15th Nov 2011, 18:26
Not being able to customize my controls is really pissing me off. I've looked forward to getting this game for awhile now and i'm very disapointed at this missing function. To me it feels like Eidos is giving me the middle finger honestly just because i choose to play this game on ps3.

my PC could play this game quite well, but i choose ps3 because i love to use ps3 controllor, ps3 makes gaming easier, also my ps3 runs quieter.

if i had my way i'd make my controls more GTA like.

So in short. not happy :(

UTWarden
12th Jan 2012, 00:18
Bringing this back up, I played this today and I really need to be able to have the L2 as fire, there is no way around it, what is odd, the X360 version has fire as RT which is L2 for us PS3 users, a simple swap would work too, L1/L2 and R1/R2.

:(

Romeo
12th Jan 2012, 01:49
Bringing this back up, I played this today and I really need to be able to have the L2 as fire, there is no way around it, what is odd, the X360 version has fire as RT which is L2 for us PS3 users, a simple swap would work too, L1/L2 and R1/R2.

:(
Yeah, I still cannot, for the life of me, figure out why this wasn't/isn't in the game. Seems like it would be very easy to implement. Input a = x, input b = y normally? Make it so the game can change so input a results in y instead. Doing so would allow the player to make a control scheme that feels good to them.

Eidos, you silly pants... Alleviate this issue.

BBQ_egg
7th Feb 2012, 00:34
I just got interested in this game when browsing in a store but I'm surprised and disappointed that the default control is bad: R3 is for aim down the sight/zooming. Why didn't Eidos use L1/L2 for aim down the sight like other shooters (COD, Battlefield, FC2 ...) ?

KZ2/3 use the same default control scheme as DX but Guerilla Games allow gamers options to use alt control schmes.

Now I'm not sure whether or not to buy this game. *sigh*

Romeo
7th Feb 2012, 07:43
I just got interested in this game when browsing in a store but I'm surprised and disappointed that the default control is bad: R3 is for aim down the sight/zooming. Why didn't Eidos use L1/L2 for aim down the sight like other shooters (COD, Battlefield, FC2 ...) ?

KZ2/3 use the same default control scheme as DX but Guerilla Games allow gamers options to use alt control schmes.

Now I'm not sure whether or not to buy this game. *sigh*
I'm not sure why they did it as they did, but I wouldn't let the controls dissuade you from the game. They may not be the most intuitive, but Deus Ex stands as one of the best shooters of last year.

Zoet
7th Feb 2012, 09:00
I'm not sure why they did it as they did, but I wouldn't let the controls dissuade you from the game. They may not be the most intuitive, but Deus Ex stands as one of the best shooters of last year.

Exactly, and although customisable controls should be something that every game has; I used and abused the third person cover, so it made perfect sense to have it on the trigger button. But as someone who plays a lot of stuff on iOS, I have learnt to get used to some pretty funky control schemes.

Romeo
7th Feb 2012, 16:26
Exactly, and although customisable controls should be something that every game has; I used and abused the third person cover, so it made perfect sense to have it on the trigger button. But as someone who plays a lot of stuff on iOS, I have learnt to get used to some pretty funky control schemes.
Ah, see I used cover precisely once in the game: The first time I thought it was to aim down sights. Following that, I haven't used it in any of my playthroughs, which unfortunately makes it a wasted trigger to me.

BBQ_egg
7th Feb 2012, 21:11

Although the control is bad, I decided to give it a chance. I visited Gamestop yesterday, I want to get it new since it's cheap now, only $USD30 but I got the pre-owned copy instead ($27) because if I don't like the game, I can return it for a refund.

Today I bring the game to the store to get refund as the gunplay is terrible thanks to the "excellent" control scheme.

Romeo
8th Feb 2012, 02:05
Although the control is bad, I decided to give it a chance. I visited Gamestop yesterday, I want to get it new since it's cheap now, only $USD30 but I got the pre-owned copy instead ($27) because if I don't like the game, I can return it for a refund.

Today I bring the game to the store to get refund as the gunplay is terrible thanks to the "excellent" control scheme.
Bah, no skin of Eidos' nose, a used game is worth nothing to them anyways. Shame you couldn't get past them, I did fairly quickly, and as I said, considered it the best shooter of the last year, and among the best games of last year.

BBQ_egg
8th Feb 2012, 03:04
Bah, no skin of Eidos' nose, a used game is worth nothing to them anyways. Shame you couldn't get past them, I did fairly quickly, and as I said, considered it the best shooter of the last year, and among the best games of last year.

Like I said, if it was not for the bad control, I'd have bought the it new although I'm jobless and low on cash right now.

Pity that I can't enjoy it; I really like this kind of game: a blend of RPG/FPS/Stealth that allow players to choose their approach to each situation/objective.

Glad you enjoy it, mate. :)